PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh*

W5GA
09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
As I sit here, I'm engaged in what I'm reasonable certain to be a death watch for my FIL, a 90 y.o. Alzheimers patient who also has prostate cancer. He was pretty much not with us yesterday, and has yet to wake up this morning. Very low urine output (he's catheterized) overnight. This is just a really, really sad way to go. To watch a gem of man go through these stages over the last several months has taken its toll on both me and my wife, but we're getting through it ok. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

WØTKX
09-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Sorry Doug. We'll keep a light on for you and yours.

When you come back, write us a good story about who he was. These stories are important.

N2CHX
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm so sorry. *hug*

NQ6U
09-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Sorry to hear it, Doug. Sending good thoughts your way.

N8YX
09-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Been there; done that with my mother - 5 years ago.

You have our condolences and best wishes. He got 10 more years than ma did...

kf0rt
09-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Very sorry to hear it, Doug. I agree with Dave on the story,

PA5COR
09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Sad reading Dough, my father passed away quickly from a heart attack, so he was lucky, better as my mother who took 2 years to pass.

Our thoughts an prayers are with you and your family.

Respect.

KG4CGC
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. I had an aunt who suffered from Alzheimer's for the last 10 years of her life. Alive but not with us.
[edit] While she was alive for the last 10 years of her life, she was not with us.
Sorry for any confusion.

K7SGJ
09-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Sorry to hear this, Doug. I hope he finds peace and an end to his suffering. You're a good man to watch over and care for him.

AE1PT
09-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I know what you are going through right now. My mother was just moved to a hospice room two days ago in very rapid decline. I expect the news anytime...

NY3V
09-08-2012, 01:25 PM
My wife used to act as a personal caregiver for alzheimer patients before she retired.

Hopefully, a cure will soon be found. :pray:

ab1ga
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
My condolences, Doug. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

WØTKX
09-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Aww hell Patrick. That sucks.

W5GA
09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Patrick, my condolences for you mother...that does indeed suck. And many thanks everyone, it's appreciated more than you know (especially the hug, Kelli!).

KA9MOT
09-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Damn.... That sux. My mom passed from liver cancer 1 year ago tomorrow. We were fortunate, she suffered for less than a month. My thoughts are with both of you Patrick and Doug.

WØTKX
09-08-2012, 02:52 PM
My wonderful YL works in a care facility. She comes home with a broken heart almost once a week.
And she goes right back and keeps helping 'em. Yea. That's courage, man.

PA5COR
09-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Patrick, our thoughts and prayers wil be with you and your family as well.

Just got a call from my best friend who's father in law passed, seems it is one of these weeks we all hate...

kb2vxa
09-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I mourn for your loss yet rejoice for his gain, he's going home. You've heard about an Irish wake, they have the right idea. Speaking of which, an Irish blessing. May he be in Heaven a half hour before the devil finds out he's gone. (I see ye smilin' ye know I'm right!)

N8YX
09-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Pat, seems we're handing too many of these out lately. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

suddenseer
09-08-2012, 04:16 PM
My thoughts are with both of you gentlemen.

N2NH
09-08-2012, 04:30 PM
As I sit here, I'm engaged in what I'm reasonable certain to be a death watch for my FIL, a 90 y.o. Alzheimers patient who also has prostate cancer. He was pretty much not with us yesterday, and has yet to wake up this morning. Very low urine output (he's catheterized) overnight. This is just a really, really sad way to go. To watch a gem of man go through these stages over the last several months has taken its toll on both me and my wife, but we're getting through it ok. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

I am sorry to hear of this. Please accept my sincerest sympathy. I will pray for him.

N2NH
09-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I know what you are going through right now. My mother was just moved to a hospice room two days ago in very rapid decline. I expect the news anytime...

Patrick, it is hard to go through this. I went through a similar experience when my wife passed away. I am sorry to hear of this. I will also keep her in my prayers.

N7YA
09-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Sorry Doug. We'll keep a light on for you and yours.

When you come back, write us a good story about who he was. These stories are important.

I agree totally. Its the best way to honor someone. My thoughts are with you, and i wish peace for your father in law.

N7YA
09-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Damn. I include you and your mother in my thoughts. :( Another friend of mine just lost his grandmother yesterday, and i just found out at the same time that a very cool entertainment director i had worked with had just succumbed to brain cancer...never knew he had it. This is a very transitional week, i wish peace for everyone.

W5GA
09-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks again all. It's appreciated.

NA4BH
09-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to both of you and your families.

NY4Q
09-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Sorry to hear that.

My mother passed back in Feb. She had dementia, but she never didn't know any of us and even though her thoughts were so scattered she couldn't form sentences, I could always see that she recognized me by the look in her eyes.

Dad said she got angry at him many times, but she never failed to grab his hand before bedtime and tell him she loved him.

She died at home in her bed with us all there. What a blessing.

X-Rated
09-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear that.

My mother passed back in Feb. She had dementia, but she never didn't know any of us and even though her thoughts were so scattered she couldn't form sentences, I could always see that she recognized me by the look in her eyes.

Dad said she got angry at him many times, but she never failed to grab his hand before bedtime and tell him she loved him.

She died at home in her bed with us all there. What a blessing.

Thinking of all of you with deaths in the family recent or imminent. May you find peace.

AE1PT
09-09-2012, 07:25 PM
The end came for my mother at 3:15 CST this afternoon. Another chapter in my life closes...

Doug, I sincerely hope that your journey is progressing with some peace. Alzheimer's is a terrible thing to happen. It is a thief of everything that the person who suffers from it has and is. First it robs one of their memories--and finally it steals who they are and what they have been.

My praise is to those who support someone through this trying time. Sympathy and thoughts to you and your family...

X-Rated
09-09-2012, 07:32 PM
The end came for my mother at 3:15 CST this afternoon. Another chapter in my life closes...

Doug, I sincerely hope that your journey is progressing with some peace. Alzheimer's is a terrible thing to happen. It is a thief of everything that the person who suffers from it has and is. First it robs one of their memories--and finally it steals who they are and what they have been.

My praise is to those who support someone through this trying time. Sympathy and thoughts to you and your family...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Pat.

W7XF
09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
My condolences are extended as well.

NQ6U
09-09-2012, 08:17 PM
My condolences, Pat. I hope her passing was as easy as possible for both her and you.

W4RLR
09-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Sorry to hear of your mother's passing, Patrick.
Doug, I went through what you are going through now with my own father, it's not a pleasant experience.

God bless both of you and your loved ones in this trying time.

N8YX
09-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Pat,

You have our deepest condolences. One wishes it didn't have to be this way.

Think kind thoughts of your mother and keep her in your memory.

N7YA
09-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Again, Pat, i wish i had some kind words that would be received the way i would intend them to be. Im sorry.

WØTKX
09-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Sorry Pat. Tell us a cool "mom" story when you are ready. Maybe her favorite music or songs?
We share these heavy things around here. :yes:

FWIW, glad you washed up on our shores again.
Speak to the bartender. No tab for you.

KG4CGC
09-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Condolences from the Barkeep as well, Pat.

W7XF
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Give PT a shot of Patron.... of course on Carlo's tab!!!!

N2NH
09-12-2012, 12:09 AM

Please accept my deepest condolences.