PDA

View Full Version : The Conmpspiracy Theorists Came To The Door.

n2ize
09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately I was at rehearsal and wasn't at home when the "anti-fracking" conspiracy theorists came to my door. I missed an awesome opportunity to challenge them with science.

N8XE
09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Science is da bomb!

KG4CGC
09-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, John. I mean, even a retart knows that water don't burn! Sheesh!

NA4BH
09-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Yeah, John. I mean, even a retart knows that water don't burn! Sheesh!

You shut up, RIGHT NOW.

W3WN
09-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah, John. I mean, even a retart knows that water don't burn! Sheesh!A retart? Is that a tart who stopped being "easy" and then went back to it?

The Marcellus Shale drillers around here are losing the PR war over the fracking issue. (And it's not being helped by the cheap bastards who are low-balling the legitimate outfits for hauling away waste fracking water, and then dumping it into a stream or sanitary sewer instead of properly processing it, but that's another issue). The enviro-whackos have convinced a lot of people that the drilling companies are Poisoning Our Water Supplies & Aquifers.

Evidence? They don't need no stinkin' evidence! Just watch that video of the water coming out of the faucet catching on fire, there's your stinkin' evidence! (And never mind that it's since come out that most of these people had the problem of flammable gasses coming out of their faucets long before the mining started)

N8YX
09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
What the frack are you people on about now​?

w0aew
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Back in the 50's, when I was a mere tot, we lived in Crane, TX (google it...look at the pix...and thank your lucky stars you've never lived in such desolation). This is deep in oil country, and there were wells everywhere, even in town. Anyhow, one day a horrific noise started up and went on and on and on for days. My first grade teachers had to yell to be heard above it. The racket could not only be heard, it could be felt in your innards.

My dad, a petroleum engineer, explained that Magnolia (the oil company he worked for...a precursor of Mobil, the flying-red-horse-logo folks) was fracturing a well on the edge of town. My school was about a quarter-mile away from the site.

Although gas companies are starting to frack wells near Longmont, CO where I live, I've not heard the same outlandish din. Has the technology tackled whatever was the cause of the noise? Was it the generators back in the 50s that supplied the power for the equipment the cause? Is there something inherent in the process that would make that much noise?

I'd ask my dad if he were still alive. :-(

n2ize
09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
A retart? Is that a tart who stopped being "easy" and then went back to it?

The Marcellus Shale drillers around here are losing the PR war over the fracking issue. (And it's not being helped by the cheap bastards who are low-balling the legitimate outfits for hauling away waste fracking water, and then dumping it into a stream or sanitary sewer instead of properly processing it, but that's another issue). The enviro-whackos have convinced a lot of people that the drilling companies are Poisoning Our Water Supplies & Aquifers.

Yes they have and it's not true. The reality is that most shale drilling and impacting with water occur far below the aquifer levels. The likelihood of fracking water entering the aquifer is quite small. Unfortunately the enviro-wackos have capitalized on the lack of common knowledge and awareness regarding fracking aND EXACTLY HOW IT OPERATES.

Evidence? They don't need no stinkin' evidence! Just watch that video of the water coming out of the faucet catching on fire, there's your stinkin' evidence! (And never mind that it's since come out that most of these people had the problem of flammable gasses coming out of their faucets long before the mining started)

This is very true. Many wells drilled into methane rich shale deposits will have water saturated with methane such that it can actually ignite. Of course the enviro-wackos use it as a golden opportunity to convince people that it is all because of fracking when in reality it was occurring long before.

KG4NEL
09-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Having seen what the coal companies did to WV through mountaintop removal, I'd need more proof before I'll take their word that it's harmless...call me a cynic :)

W3WN
09-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Having seen what the coal companies did to WV through mountaintop removal, I'd need more proof before I'll take their word that it's harmless...call me a cynic :)Oh, I'm not saying that the fracking companies (and I mean that in both senses of the word!) are entirely innocent as a newborn either. I just will not accept on face value "my well water is now bad, therefore it must be their fault".

NY3V
09-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Well, at least they are starting to wash the coal clean before they burn it now. ;)

n2ize
09-07-2012, 03:31 AM
So, does the "Jersey Devil" really lurk in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey ?

NQ6U
09-07-2012, 08:15 AM
So, does the "Jersey Devil" really lurk in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey ?

No, that's just Chris Christie.

W3WN
09-07-2012, 09:54 AM
So, does the "Jersey Devil" really lurk in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey ?Nah. That miserable excuse for a professional hockey team plays in the former swamp known as the Meadowlands.

AE1PT
09-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh, I'm not saying that the fracking companies (and I mean that in both senses of the word!) are entirely innocent as a newborn either. I just will not accept on face value "my well water is now bad, therefore it must be their fault".

This is all a big deal here in Western NY as well. The biggest concerns are the disposal of waste fluids and 'tailings' left over as part of the drilling process. These are not what is concentrated on by the 'anti' movement--most of that involves decade or more older issues that appeared in a single community in PA--and a couple poorly supported finger points of later spills. Overall, the entire drilling and later extraction process is remarkably free of environmental issues.

My problem with all of it is how it is marketed to communities--and the realistic economic impact over time. The first symptom of fracking coming to a region is the artificial inflation of property values and rents. Owners anticipate a windfall through exorbitant pricing to house workers and management personnel. This kills affordable housing--and leads to the displacement of formerly stable families who can no longer afford to buy or pay rents that have been escalated and shifted from year long leases to month-to-month.

Second is the bullshit claims of cash flow to a community. Frackers weave a picture that their operations will lead to long-term economic gains and employment. The facts are that workers arrive en masse from other areas--very little employment is generated from existing labor pools in the targeted drilling areas. Even the spending by these workers within a community is transient--a year to two years at best until wells are in place and there is no longer a need for prep and drilling crews.

Finally, even under the best of circumstances--the natural gas resource will be depleted from these wells in a 10-20 year period. Some wells much less. Local leaders are not giving much thought on how to reinvest the short term income into long-term sustainable employment and economic viability.

BS on both sides of the fracking spectrum...

N8YX
09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Agreed on all points, Pat. The Dover, Ohio area (a little south of where I'm located at the moment) is undergoing exactly what you describe. A coworker who lives there has made many of the same observations.

kb2vxa
09-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Never mind the relocated Colorado Rockies (1982) that sucked raw eggs to begin with, there are two more Jersey Devils but I'll save the best (and more dangerous) for last. It all began in 1735 when Deborah Leeds gave birth to her 13th child not of Japhet as there were 12 named in the will. Being a witch fornicating with the devil she gave birth to what appeared to be a normal child but within months began to take on his true form, that of his father. Japhet was not amused. It isn't clear how the bloodline was continued, whether the original JD raped a woodland creature or some unfortunate woman but once at least one female was produced they multiplied and went forth to populate the land including parts of Pennsylvania and Delaware. Pardon the old fuzzy photo taken in haste by my father as we were camping in the Pine Barrens when this strange creature ran past the lantern chasing its dinner. In case you didn't know there are so many deer around here they'll never worry about where their next meal will come from.

Here's the best (?) and most dangerous bunch of critters that make teh Bush of teh TANG look sane. The NJANG 117th Fighter Wing stationed a few miles west of Atlantic City at the Hughes Technical Center that's obscured in Google Earth like it doesn't exist and we wish it didn't is nicknamed the Jersey Devils and not all that many years ago I found out why, they're the real life Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. At the time I was living in West Creek I had a scanner but didn't know the frequency they use at the Warren Grove Range so I didn't figure it out for a time, but whomever loaded the F-16 made a big boo-boo, instead of practice bombs that only raise a bit of dust to mark the point of impact he loaded bunker busters. You don't know what they sound like unless you're there, West Creek is only a few miles away and mine was only one house shaken to its foundation, windows rattling, loose objects falling and shock waves that felt like standing next to the bass drum in a parade. Cops on patrol and dispatchers going wild, the 911 call center lit up like a Christmas tree, things just went wild because there is no industry in the area and nobody immediately suspected the actual source of the explosions. The funny part was the last related transmission by a dispatcher; "The base commander cannot be reached for comment."

Here's where the couldn't shoot straight comes in, a few weeks later a wayward pilot dropped a practice bomb 20 miles off target in Little Egg starting the worst forest fire recorded in the state. It went on out of control for weeks devastating the pines over an extremely wide area, thankfully no serious injuries but between damage and firefighting expenses the cost was sky high. Here's the evil grin part, state, county and local fire departments filed a class action law suit against the NJANG AND WON.

Here's the last of the WTF were you thinking mishaps when I was there, another mindless sky pilot fired his 20mm Vulcan strafing a school in Stafford just north of West Creek and nowhere near Warren Grove. Thank goodness it was Saturday! Now you tell me, which would you fear the most if you lived in South Jersey, the legend, the hockey team, or those big shiny killer bees?

n2ize
09-07-2012, 12:00 PM
No, that's just Chris Christie.
^^^^^^^^ :lol::lol::lol:

n2ize
09-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Here is an interesting and balanced article about fracking. It doesn't entirely give fracking a clean bill of health but neither does it buy into the hysteria and pseudoscience of the extremists.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4275

N2NH
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQMA0zwMM4

N2NH
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
http://youtu.be/iNl6sx059bE

N2NH
09-07-2012, 02:46 PM
The major concern with shale gas drilling is the chemicals used in the process. Because the federal Energy Policy Act of 2005 exempted hydraulic fracturing from regulation under the Safe Drinking Water Act, shale gas drillers don’t have to disclose what chemicals they use. A study conducted by Theo Colburn, PhD, the director of the Endocrine Disruption Exchange in Paonia, Colorado, has so far identified 65 chemicals that are probable components of the fracking fluids used by shale gas drillers. These chemicals included benzene, glycol-ethers, toluene, 2-(2-methoxyethoxy) ethanol, and nonylphenols. All of these chemicals have been linked to health disorders when human exposure is too high.
Concerns are growing that many of the chemicals used in shale gas drilling are seeping into groundwater. While some of the injection fluid used in the process comes back to the surface, 30 to 40 percent is never recovered, according to the industry’s own estimates. People living in the vicinity of shale gas drilling have reported foul smells in their tap water. In some instances gas well pipes have broken, resulting in leakage of contaminants into the surrounding ground.
There have also been cases of improper disposal of potentially toxic wastewater from fracking operations. In 2011, for example, The New York Times reported that some Pennsylvania Marcellus shale natural gas drillers were shipping potentially toxic and radioactive hydraulic fracking wastewater to sewage treatment plants not equipped to treat it. This fracking wastewater, which has only been partially treated, is later released into rivers and streams used as sources of drinking water by millions of Pennsylvanians.
That same year, a series of earthquakes in Arkansas was blamed on underground injection wells used by natural gas drillers to dispose of fracking wastewater. In March 2011, the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission ordered Chesapeake Energy and Clarita Operating to stop using two injection wells near the communities of Greenbrier and Guy.
The rapidly expanding development of shale gas reservoirs via fracking has left regulatory agencies and legislatures scrambling to keep up with the new environmental issues raised by the operations. In 2004, a much-maligned study conducted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) concluded that fracking posed no risks to water supplies, and was used to convince Congress to exempt the industry from the Safe Drinking Water Act. That study was criticized as flawed due to heavy industry influence on its review panel. An EPA whistleblower later claimed that the study’s findings were “unsupportable,” and alleged that evidence showing that benzene and other toxic chemicals in fracking fluid could migrate into ground water had been suppressed in the final report.

There is a law firm making a killing from "Safe Frakking" and the fallout from that practice. They also have an informative PBS video on those Frakking Dangers

MOAR HEAR! (http://www.water-contamination-from-shale.com/)

W3WN
09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately I was at rehearsal and wasn't at home when the "anti-fracking" conspiracy theorists came to my door. I missed an awesome opportunity to challenge them with science.You mean that they'd be blinded by science?

W3WN
09-07-2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQMA0zwMM4I don't know if this is true in every case where this is claimed, but it has been documented that in many of the cases now being blamed on fracking, the problem of methane & natural gas entering the water supply and coming out of the faucet has been going on for decades.

kb2vxa
09-07-2012, 06:45 PM
If you have flaming water DON'T FART IN THE BATH TUB!

WØTKX
09-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Fracking is like any extractive process. If done safely for long term gain... Oh never mind, what am I $aying.

Would we need to frack if we ran tubes from the butts of cows? Just wondering.

n2ize
09-11-2012, 04:06 AM
I don't know if this is true in every case where this is claimed, but it has been documented that in many of the cases now being blamed on fracking, the problem of methane & natural gas entering the water supply and coming out of the faucet has been going on for decades.

Decades ago I remember someone telling me that he grew up in an area that was rich in natural gas deposits and at times there was enough methane dissolved in the water such that the escaping gas could ignite, sort of like igniting acetylene when you drop a chip of calcium carbide in water. I didn;t believe him so I did som,e research and low and behold, I discovered that it was true. In some areas there is enough dissolved methan such that the escaping gasses can ignite.

kb2vxa
09-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Frack! A load of feldercarb attributable to that golmonging daggit dribble.