PDA

View Full Version : I am now a moderator!!

N8XE
09-05-2012, 09:52 PM
At a different site :-D

One of the required readings before I start banning and wielding my moderator powers:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

I thought it was hilarious!

(I need to make sure absolute power does not absolutely corrupt me and cause me to drink more than I already do)

Jason

W4RLR
09-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Dupe. If I was still a moderator I could get rid of this duplicate. But I'm not, so I won't.

W4RLR
09-06-2012, 01:56 AM
As I learned, one must use those powers wisely. Best of luck in your new position. It's often tiring, thankless work, and you can sometimes alienate people for the good of the site.:yes:

PA5COR
09-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Congrats...... i've beeen admin on an saatellite based board for the last 10+ years, just extra work but it can be rewarding, we don't have lots of work to do to clean up after the members there...

K7SGJ
09-06-2012, 06:28 AM
"With great power, comes great responsibility" .... Uncle Ben Parker

N8XE
09-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I saw myself in some of those characters. It was fun reading.

The site where I am now a moderator is a popular amateur astronomy forum and review site. I have been a member there for a long time and was asked if I was interested. It is a well run site and I am surprised at the stuff that I don't see. I have become good friends with many of the people there and learned so much. This is my way of giving back to the site (my time).

I will be going through a trial phase at first so they can make sure I don't screw things up. Mwahahah!!!!

Anyways, I figured you guys would appreciate the Flame Warriors.. hehehe

Jason

W3WN
09-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Hey! I resemble a few of those!

... sobering thought. I have to get drunk before having one of those, though...

wa6mhz
09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't even get to MODERATE the CATS!

K7SGJ
09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't even get to MODERATE the CATS!

You can if you clean out the litter box.

N8YX
09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Before she straps her corset on oh-so-tightly, Netiquette Nazi tosses my salad. Some Crybaby sees it and starts pleading Innocence Lost to all who will entertain her Harpies harping.

AE1PT
09-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't know whether to say congratulations or condolences...:chin:

The link you provided is hilarious--and right on target. It is now on my bookmark list! Hopefully your segue of roles is in a relatively placid and smaller community. Keep in mind that however you approach your new duties, there will always be those who take their frustrations out on staff--and members perceptions of you will change up a bit.

Remember most of all, it's only the fleeping internet... :vomit:

KG4NEL
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Old link is old ;)

I first saw that when I was a moderator on a car audio forum back in 2005ish. The luster wears off fast.

N8YX
09-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Old link is old ;)

I first saw that when I was a moderator on a car audio forum back in 2005ish. The luster wears off fast.
The game may change but the playas remain a constant.

Werd.

WØTKX
09-06-2012, 09:48 AM
At least "your" forum has better electromagnetic DX, Buzz! ;)

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/227342main_buzz_larger.jpg

N8XE
09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't know whether to say congratulations or condolences...:chin:

The link you provided is hilarious--and right on target. It is now on my bookmark list! Hopefully your segue of roles is in a relatively placid and smaller community. Keep in mind that however you approach your new duties, there will always be those who take their frustrations out on staff--and members perceptions of you will change up a bit.

Remember most of all, it's only the fleeping internet... :vomit:

I am somewhat nervous about it because I see what moderators have to go though. And they don't get paid. I know some like having the power and they try to use it to feed their own ego. That is not me at all. I see it more as a service. I could care less about power because with power comes more stuff you got to do. And let's face it, I am a lazy bastard. I work very hard to not have to work very hard (I think this is why I am a programmer... heheheheh). I am more about sitting around a campfire or at the bar telling stories and drinking an adult beverage or two with friends. Many of the moderators there are friends of mine that I have gotten to know over the years I have been there (since 2004). And they seem to be like-minded in regards to being a moderator. It isn't about egos, it is about being a servant to the user community.

The forums there (and the community) seem to be more a friendly group (it reminds me of the island in someways). Places like QRZ and EHam seem to have a meaner tendency (maybe I am just the sensitive type.. hehehe). Now, I admit, I usually just hang out in the more social areas because I don't think I am smart enough to contribute anything meaningful to technical discussions on a ham radio site. So I am judging an entires site based on a few forums.

The folks there (and here for that matter) seem to be more level headed and sensible. There is no politics at all (Which is fine with me).

Jason N8XE

AE1PT
09-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I think that you will find that two factors influence site behavior--the kind of community it serves, and the size of the slice represented by the forum. Smaller forums are usually great places for similarly minded people. The archetypes in your link are usually not fully represented--and often are an amalgam of several types represented in individual members.

Large groups of more than 5000 begin to become more problematic. At this point there is a transition from community to internet society--and struggles emerge between larger behaviorally disposed groups. More of the archetypes are represented--and they are busy jockeying for position amongst each other. Harder than special interest groups are 'community' fora--which can quickly become Topix type sewers.

Small sites such as the Island have the advantage of quickly taking control of issues and setting tone. Members become self identifying very quickly as to whether they are a 'fit' or not. Large sites are at a disadvantage, as issues and cabals can arise that very quickly create both moderation and traffic problems. Errant members often believe because of the number of members, posting rates, and various distractions that they have a magic shield that protects them. It's very easy to lose hundreds of members when shit is always hitting the fan--and likewise as problematic when trying to clean things up...

W4GPL
09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Meh. If it ends up bothering you that much, just quit.. or walk away for awhile. As Mr. 'PT said, it's just the fscking Internet.

I moderate several sports forums and they're mostly made up of teenagers and young adults.. though I find the maturity level is lower on the ham radio forums. ;) Kidding... sorta. :lol:

N8YX
09-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I once moderated a motorcycle fraternity/club website which catered to a large cross-section of the riding community...including the so-called 1% contingent. We had far less problems from the membership than do any number of ham-radio sites. A few of the staff fell victim to the same form of toadyism which evidently soured 'PT's QRZ experience. Hard to unilaterally enforce the rules when a staff dichotomy is both present and functional.

N8XE
09-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Meh. If it ends up bothering you that much, just quit.. or walk away for awhile. As Mr. 'PT said, it's just the fscking Internet.

I moderate several sports forums and they're mostly made up of teenagers and young adults.. though I find the maturity level is lower on the ham radio forums. ;) Kidding... sorta. :lol:

True dat. Even in the moderator guidelines there they mention it: "It's just the internet. Take a break and step away." I think I do a pretty good job stepping away from heated battles (which are just damn silly). Someone once said, is it something worth dying for? If not? Then it isn't that important. Internet forums are not high on my list. ;)

Jason N8XE

kb2vxa
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
I bow to thee oh great God Of The Forum. I fear thy death from above and eighty deuce on the loose, kill them all and let Phred sort them out. Aw, bet you're a big old pussy cat.

N8XE
09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Fear me!! LOL!!!

Naw, I ain't a hater :)

Jason

kb2vxa
09-10-2012, 07:49 PM
You can't convince ME, I saw you!

kf0rt
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Gotta be a rough place to need a Banslicer<tm>.

N8XE
09-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Seeing that picture of Jason reminded me of Halloween one year. I dressed up as Jason.. when they asked who it was I was like..

"It's me.. Jason!"

Mwahahahah!

Naw.. they haven't given me banning priveledges. Probably a good thing. Keeps me out of trouble.

kb2vxa
09-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Banning is a privilege? I'll have to think about that a while...

Oh yeah, 007 license to kill.

N8XE
09-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Banning is a privilege? I'll have to think about that a while...

Oh yeah, 007 license to kill.

I was thinking in software terms. Abilities can be called privileges. I hope I never have to us the "ability".