PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Ham band Radio Control Transmitter/Receiver

KK4AMI
09-05-2012, 02:16 PM
I lucked into a cheap 6 Channel JR Maxcomputer TX and RX. All I got was the transmitter and receiver for $25.00. I always wanted to get into RC ships and/or submarines. Obviously, I need batteries, a charger and servos to make this thing useful. Before I invest any more money in this endeavor, does anybody know if this transmitter is still legal to operate? I know there is a little more freedom on the ham bands 50 MHz, then there is on 72 and 75 MHz. It does have a gold or silver inspection sticker on the back (R/CMA RFCHECK AMA then Date 07. The receiver is identified as an NER-627X, PCM G Series. Any info would be appreciated.

NQ6U
09-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Should be okay. IIRC, the top end of 6m is the usual place for ham band RC activity. Remember to put your call sign on the transmitter.

KG4CGC
09-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Should be okay. IIRC, the top end of 6m is the usual place for ham band RC activity. Remember to put your call sign on the transmitter.

And hang a black flag on the antenna.

KK4AMI
09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Thank you both and I will do the flag and placard.

ab1ga
09-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Ham band R/C was less susceptible to interference from other transmitters than the bands around 70 MHz, but that advantage has dwindled with the emergence of the 2.4GHz spread-spectrum gear. But as long as it works, which you can test in the backyard or on the bench top, you're only a few servos aways from having a working system. Have fun!

K7SGJ
09-05-2012, 02:35 PM
And hang a black flag on the antenna.

KK4AMI
09-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Ham band R/C was less susceptible to interference from other transmitters than the bands around 70 MHz, but that advantage has dwindled with the emergence of the 2.4GHz spread-spectrum gear. But as long as it works, which you can test in the backyard or on the bench top, you're only a few servos aways from having a working system. Have fun!

It is still an interference issue for subs. 2.4 GHz just bounces off the surface. 27, 50 and 75 are your only options for penetrating fresh water and then only down to about 6 ft. I like the flag, it has sort of a nautical motif.

ab1ga
09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
It is still an interference issue for subs. 2.4 GHz just bounces off the surface. 27, 50 and 75 are your only options for penetrating fresh water and then only down to about 6 ft. I like the flag, it has sort of a nautical motif.

R/C subs? Don't bother, build a micro-sub instead and experience the thrill first hand! :)

KG4NEL
09-05-2012, 04:09 PM

http://www.punkbookreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/getinthevan.jpg

KG4NEL
09-05-2012, 04:10 PM

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/8/19/62bbf2d7-b6f9-4238-8a4a-53e9d46ea63c.jpg

kb2vxa
09-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Not being from the NYC metro area in the 60s pre-psychodelic (spelling intentional) era you don't understand the significance of submarine race watching. Once upon a time when AM rock and roll was king there lived a DJ Named Murray (The K) Kaufman commanding the submarine races in the Hudson River from his control center at 1010 WINS. Like bennies invading the Jersey Shore every Saturday night teens would flock to Jersey City Heights, Union City and Palisades Park (the town, not the amusement park where they spent the day) to watch the submarine races with eyes closed. Occasionally opening them during breaks they'd take in the spectacular RCA Building and the Manhattan skyline across the river. After the break it's eyes closed to watch the races. Yes, submarine racing IS exciting to watch... with your favorite bobby soxer.

NY3V
09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Not being from the NYC metro area in the 60s pre-psychodelic (spelling intentional) era you don't understand the significance of submarine race watching. Once upon a time when AM rock and roll was king there lived a DJ Named Murray (The K) Kaufman commanding the submarine races in the Hudson River from his control center at 1010 WINS. Like bennies invading the Jersey Shore every Saturday night teens would flock to Jersey City Heights, Union City and Palisades Park (the town, not the amusement park where they spent the day) to watch the submarine races with eyes closed. Occasionally opening them during breaks they'd take in the spectacular RCA Building and the Manhattan skyline across the river. After the break it's eyes closed to watch the races. Yes, submarine racing IS exciting to watch... with your favorite bobby soxer.

During high school, in my home town in IL, the submarine races were conducted late at night in a closed city park overlooking the Mississippi River. ;)

kf0rt
09-05-2012, 08:04 PM
During high school, in my home town in IL, the submarine races were conducted late at night in a closed city park overlooking the Mississippi River. ;)

You at least had water. :mrgreen:

NY3V
09-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Not that one!

This one:

W3WN
09-06-2012, 07:26 AM
7154Please give that flag back to the Pirate Parrot when you're done with it.

K7SGJ
09-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Please give that flag back to the Pirate Parrot when you're done with it.

AAAARRGH AAAARRGH Bring the bitch to me nooooowwww. AAAARRGH

VE7DCW
09-07-2012, 12:40 AM

It's an honour to read these words of wisdom from Pope Carlos! ....... :agree:

n2ize
09-07-2012, 12:59 AM
If you are operating subs it doesn't matter what frequency its on. Just take a box, stick an antenna on it, and a couple of things that look like control sticks on it. Then go and stand near your nearest lake, river, pond, or ocean with a concerned look on your face. If anyone comes by and asks what your doing tell them you are operating an rc sub. If they ask how come it hasn't surfaces tell em your setting the worlds record for the longest rc sub underwater.

Seriously speaking, the radio you are talking about seems like a pretty nice radio, albeit old. I don;t think you should have any problem running subs and boats with it. I think with most subs they are built with a fail safe so that the sub rises to the surface if radio contact is lost (i.e. if you go down to far). As soon as it bobs back up to the top you should regain control.

KK4AMI
09-08-2012, 06:36 AM
If you are operating subs it doesn't matter what frequency its on. Just take a box, stick an antenna on it, and a couple of things that look like control sticks on it. Then go and stand near your nearest lake, river, pond, or ocean with a concerned look on your face. If anyone comes by and asks what your doing tell them you are operating an rc sub. If they ask how come it hasn't surfaces tell em your setting the worlds record for the longest rc sub underwater.

Seriously speaking, the radio you are talking about seems like a pretty nice radio, albeit old. I don;t think you should have any problem running subs and boats with it. I think with most subs they are built with a fail safe so that the sub rises to the surface if radio contact is lost (i.e. if you go down to far). As soon as it bobs back up to the top you should regain control.

Thank you Sir. I'll be operating it in clear pools and pretty clear lakes. It will have a fail safe, automatic leveler and depth sensor.

kb2vxa
09-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Avast me hearties! National Talk Like A Pirate Day is coming up on the 19th so paint that sub yellow and put the skull and crossbones on it. Then take it to the lake with 14 friends and one dead guy, don't forget the Captain Morgan. Oh you know the song; fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum! Now don't forget to give some to the hos when they hear you calling. WA1 Henry yell AAARRR!

N7YA
09-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you Sir. I'll be operating it in clear pools and pretty clear lakes. It will have a fail safe, automatic leveler and depth sensor.

Yeah John....IN YOUR FACE!! :lol:

n2ize
09-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Would be nice if you can add on high intensity lights, a camera with a remote downlink so you can do actual remote POV sub ops What you see on your screen is what actually lies around the subs field of vision. That way you can explore dark and murky waters. People are doing this with remote aircraft and land vehicles and surface vessels. Of course the sub being underwater poses a unique set of problems communications problems.

K7SGJ
09-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Would be nice if you can add on high intensity lights, a camera with a remote downlink so you can do actual remote POV sub ops What you see on your screen is what actually lies around the subs field of vision. That way you can explore dark and murky waters. People are doing this with remote aircraft and land vehicles and surface vessels. Of course the sub being underwater poses a unique set of problems communications problems.

Meh, proctologists have been doing that for years.