PDA

View Full Version : Cat info

w2amr
09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600718_431057230260807_373580681_n.jpg

PA5COR
09-02-2012, 03:32 PM
All our cats have been "helped" as soon we get them.
No clipping of the ears too, i don't think that that serves any purpose other as hurting the cats.

WØTKX
09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Cor, this is to identify feral (wild) cats that have been fixed. This is a very good and humane program.

My pet "outside" cat is chipped, and his information is on the web if you scan him.

Milhous chased a fox out of the yard this this morning.
Poor fox was scared of the mean kitty. :lol:

N8YX
09-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Sans clipped ear, our new arrival looks exactly like the pic you posted, George. I suspect some ass-hat went around the neighborhood dumping a litter, as this critter is far too clean to have spent its entire infancy outside.

He's got a good home now. As far as the other cats go...they're still giving us the occasional "WTF?" look.

KG4NEL
09-02-2012, 04:23 PM
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/the-cat-traps-are-working.jpg

kb2vxa
09-02-2012, 07:03 PM
There is fallacy in the notion that a spayed or neutered feral does anything to the feral population of any given area a natural doesn't do. Cats by nature are indeed territorial and will fight others on their turf sterilized or not. When a female has kittens naturally the local population rises by the number of survivors, but as soon as they learn to hunt on their own she will chase them away returning the population to one. Studies have shown? I love that self serving phrase, anyone who knows how a study is performed knows that like a computer it works on the GIGO principle or like Tim Leary said about an acid trip, you get out of it what you brought into it. To the still confused, a study is conducted to produce desired results thus keeping those funding the study happy and the money coming in.

Bottom line; whomever wrote that crap doesn't know cats but loves the money funding the project.

My opinion? Feral cats are a farmer's best friend, they're mousers. Adopt a feral today and you'll be free of vermin and there's a bonus, you don't have to buy cat food.

N2NH
09-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Love cats still miss the one that passed away 3 years ago. Lots of strays in the area and they're starting to trust me...

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zjaoi9.gif

kb2vxa
09-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Strays are one thing, ferals are just that, feral. We had them in West Creek, step into the back yard and all you'd see was a streak screaming for the woods. Strays can be quite friendly should you feed them, until he died a few years ago a neighbor did and they behaved as pets. The difference is strays are neighborhood cats, socialized due to the constant presence of humans so the beginning is easy and once they get used to you they're 90% social animals. Ferals on the other hand having no contact with humans have never been socialized, you'll never even get close to one, ever, that is unless you catch one by surprise. I surprised one in the garage once, it went screaming out of there like a shot never to return. Then I had to clean out where it made a nest, marked the hell out of it and I had to toss everything because the stink was AWFUL!

Now there's another reason I laugh at that clipped ear nonsense, "they should be left in their neighborhood" is hysterically funny. You'll NEVER find a feral cat in a neighborhood as they never ENTER a neighborhood in the first place. Like their bigger brothers and sisters they're creatures of the forest and rarely even come close to human habitation. The only reason I saw one is because West Creek is a tiny village in the Pine Barrens, the forest was right at my back door and to wildlife the yard was just another clearing in the pines.

Well John, just set out some food, retreat to a discreet distance and sit quietly. It won't be long before you'll have them rubbing your legs playing like Audrey 2... FEED ME! (;->)

w2amr
09-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Now there's another reason I laugh at that clipped ear nonsense, "they should be left in their neighborhood" is hysterically funny. You'll NEVER find a feral cat in a neighborhood as they never ENTER a neighborhood in the first place. There is nothing nonsensical about it. The ear tip of the already spayed or neutered cat , may save the animal the trauma of being trapped, placed under anesthetic , and having to endure an unnecessary surgery.

PA5COR
09-03-2012, 03:24 AM
A simple chip would servee the same purpose...

N7YA
09-03-2012, 03:40 AM

This is mesmerizing! Also very accurate.

We have three little psychos...i mean, cats. When we come home from work, they all slowly wake up, stretch, yawn and walk away to eat or shit. The dogs are awake and happy to see us. Late at night, the dogs, and us, are fast asleep, then it starts...

...budumbudumbudumbudumbudum.........budumbudumbud um......BAM!!!......meow........meow............me ow.....meow.....thump.....budumbudumbudumbudum.... .meow.....

Then we feel one of the Persians jump up on the bed for what we call 'the morning meows' (morning meaning ungodly hours that simply arent fair to working folks). The little turd meows, nudges our hand, meows, nudges our face, climbs up and balances all four of his litterbox flavored feet on my forehead, turns around so i get a full panoramic, and extremely close view of his hairy butthole! Then he climbs onto my pillow, meowing, and proceeds to start kneading, which usually includes the top of my head. Then he meows some more, sticking his furry mug right in mine and purring loudly the entire time, his head all slobbery from the kneading...then sneezes right into my face. If i pull the pillow over my head, he pushes it off and sneezes into my mouth...just to be an asshole, i think. Every fucking morning we do this! And thats just ONE of them! My wife has her own 'morning meows' horror story.

We love our cats, though. The fat Persian is awesome, but all three of them beat the living shit out of eachother all night, the dogs just look at us as if to say "can you please put a stop to this?"...nope, sorry. They are nuts and thats just the nature of cats.

w2amr
09-03-2012, 03:53 AM
A simple chip would servee the same purpose...Not true. The ear tip can be seen from a distance, the chip requires animal to be trapped. Not always an easy task.

KG4CGC
09-03-2012, 01:27 PM

This is mesmerizing! Also very accurate.

We have three little psychos...i mean, cats. When we come home from work, they all slowly wake up, stretch, yawn and walk away to eat or shit. The dogs are awake and happy to see us. Late at night, the dogs, and us, are fast asleep, then it starts...

...budumbudumbudumbudumbudum.........budumbudumbud um......BAM!!!......meow........meow............me ow.....meow.....thump.....budumbudumbudumbudum.... .meow.....

Then we feel one of the Persians jump up on the bed for what we call 'the morning meows' (morning meaning ungodly hours that simply arent fair to working folks). The little turd meows, nudges our hand, meows, nudges our face, climbs up and balances all four of his litterbox flavored feet on my forehead, turns around so i get a full panoramic, and extremely close view of his hairy butthole! Then he climbs onto my pillow, meowing, and proceeds to start kneading, which usually includes the top of my head. Then he meows some more, sticking his furry mug right in mine and purring loudly the entire time, his head all slobbery from the kneading...then sneezes right into my face. If i pull the pillow over my head, he pushes it off and sneezes into my mouth...just to be an asshole, i think. Every fucking morning we do this! And thats just ONE of them! My wife has her own 'morning meows' horror story.

We love our cats, though. The fat Persian is awesome, but all three of them beat the living shit out of eachother all night, the dogs just look at us as if to say "can you please put a stop to this?"...nope, sorry. They are nuts and thats just the nature of cats.
LOL! Made my day right there.

KC2UGV
09-03-2012, 01:31 PM
There is fallacy in the notion that a spayed or neutered feral does anything to the feral population of any given area a natural doesn't do.

Altered ferals don't reproduce, and stabilize the size of the resident colony. The TNR (Trap and release) program here has a stack of 40 or so research studies done by Cornell on the subject, and I can get their titles if you like.

w2amr
09-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Altered ferals don't reproduce, and stabilize the size of the resident colony. The TNR (Trap and release) program here has a stack of 40 or so research studies done by Cornell on the subject, and I can get their titles if you like.I doubt if he will believe those either.

kb2vxa
09-03-2012, 09:42 PM
"I doubt if he will believe those either."
I've seen enough studies to know how they work and I've explained them so why any doubt as to what I think of them?

Oh those morning meows, I can't tell you how many cats over the years were my live alarm clocks. "They are nuts and thats just the nature of cats." That's what makes them cool, nature's little furry clowns.

KG4CGC
09-03-2012, 09:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ibyOS.gif

NA4BH
09-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm surprised humane organizations will allow this. The procedure is an unnecessary mutilation of the animal. They are cutting through hyaline cartilage (the most dense/toughest), into an area that has one of the highest amount of capillaries and arteries (blood supply). The post surgical care of the ear will take at least one week, that is if there aren't any complications. Besides, something as simple as a standardized tattoo in the groin area would be cheaper and subject the animal to less stress. As far as re-trapping them, with a tattoo it would be catch and release.

KC2UGV
09-04-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm surprised humane organizations will allow this. The procedure is an unnecessary mutilation of the animal. They are cutting through hyaline cartilage (the most dense/toughest), into an area that has one of the highest amount of capillaries and arteries (blood supply). The post surgical care of the ear will take at least one week, that is if there aren't any complications. Besides, something as simple as a standardized tattoo in the groin area would be cheaper and subject the animal to less stress. As far as re-trapping them, with a tattoo it would be catch and release.

Have you tried examining a feral's belly before? lol

The tipping of the ear is quite humane, and is done with an ablation tool. Recover time is hours.

WØTKX
09-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Feral cats in the urban environment benefit.

N8YX
09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Feral cats in the urban environment benefit.
Ours has benefitted quite nicely during its several year residence. :yes:

w2amr
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I would pay to see that.

NA4BH
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
No problem if they're caged.

w2amr
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm surprised humane organizations will allow this. The procedure is an unnecessary mutilation of the animal. They are cutting through hyaline cartilage (the most dense/toughest), into an area that has one of the highest amount of capillaries and arteries (blood supply). The post surgical care of the ear will take at least one week, that is if there aren't any complications. Besides, something as simple as a standardized tattoo in the groin area would be cheaper and subject the animal to less stress. As far as re-trapping them, with a tattoo it would be catch and release.http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=459

KC2UGV
09-04-2012, 12:39 PM
No problem if they're caged.

So, I'm assuming, no? I've gotten caged ferals from the trap point to the Spay/Neuter group. There was no way in hell I could examine it's groin/belly lol Damned thing wouldn't stop moving and trying to get at me lol

W5GA
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
So, I'm assuming, no? I've gotten caged ferals from the trap point to the Spay/Neuter group. There was no way in hell I could examine it's groin/belly lol Damned thing wouldn't stop moving and trying to get at me lol
No chit! the term wildcat immediately comes to mind. If it did get a hold of you, the results would NOT be pretty.

w2amr
09-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Cat bites are really nasty. A friend of mine who works at the AWA clinic, was bitten by a feral that got loose in the building. Two finger got infected , and swelled up to twice their normal size.
http://voices.yahoo.com/cat-puncture-bites-humans-highly-infectious-447579.html?cat=70 (http://voices.yahoo.com/cat-puncture-bites-humans-highly-infectious-447579.html?cat=70)

kf0rt
09-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Cat bites are really nasty. A friend of mine who works at the AWA clinic, was bitten by a feral that got loose in the building. Two finger got infected , and swelled up to twice their normal size.
http://voices.yahoo.com/cat-puncture-bites-humans-highly-infectious-447579.html?cat=70 (http://voices.yahoo.com/cat-puncture-bites-humans-highly-infectious-447579.html?cat=70)

No kiddin'. My wife got bit by one of the neighborhood cats many years ago. Landed her in the hospital for 3 days with blood poisoning. The animal control officer told me that the only thing worse than a cat bite is a human bite.

N8YX
09-05-2012, 06:52 AM
I get bit by mine quite often but we keep 'em indoors and pay attention to dental hygiene. Not many outdoor nasties present in those mouths.

This weekend I'm going to shave our Siberian. I WILL get bit during the process, even though the outcome will result in a cooler, happier kitty.

W5GA
09-05-2012, 08:46 AM
I get bit by mine quite often but we keep 'em indoors and pay attention to dental hygiene. Not many outdoor nasties present in those mouths.

This weekend I'm going to shave our Siberian. I WILL get bit during the process, even though the outcome will result in a cooler, happier kitty.
Welding gloves are your friend.

wa6mhz
09-05-2012, 09:17 AM
I will hafta check Phoebe and Penelope when I get home. I don't recall them having the ears clipped. I hope that didn't happen. we went to a Reputable Animal Hospital and paid DEARLY to have them Spayed. Well over $100 each! But we were comfortable they were in the best care money could buy. Penelope turned out wonderful. Phoebe turned out eternally PISSED and she is a MEAN CAT now. But I love her still!

KC2UGV
09-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Rat bites (And I presume any puncture bite) are the same. Happened to me, and I showed it to my son's doc (My son was in the get the antibiotic script for his strep), and I said to her,"I know you do peds, and not adults, and I am not asking for a free doc visit here, but should I make an appointment for this?"

I showed her my finger, her face turned white, and said,"God yes. In fact, you are not leaving until you are seen by a doc here."

Found out I was 1 day from a bone infection, and losing my finger. Good times.

n2ize
09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm surprised humane organizations will allow this.

Like everyone else, they like money (as in funding).

n2ize
09-05-2012, 10:31 AM

The tipping of the ear is quite humane, and is done with an ablation tool. Recover time is hours.
RFID tags, chip implants, or old fashioned branding.

w2amr
09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Welding gloves are your friend.:lol:Yeah really.

N8YX
09-05-2012, 11:58 AM
:lol:Yeah really.
I'll post pics of a shredded Lincoln glove, courtesy of Smoky - a sub-10lb Russian Blue mix. He was only playing but managed to destroy it in short order. (We miss that little shit...)

W5GA
09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Rat bites (And I presume any puncture bite) are the same. Happened to me, and I showed it to my son's doc (My son was in the get the antibiotic script for his strep), and I said to her,"I know you do peds, and not adults, and I am not asking for a free doc visit here, but should I make an appointment for this?"

I showed her my finger, her face turned white, and said,"God yes. In fact, you are not leaving until you are seen by a doc here."

Found out I was 1 day from a bone infection, and losing my finger. Good times.
Dang, Corey! Glad you got it fixed, but why didn't you tip sooner than that? Infections are nothing to screw around with!

n6hcm
09-06-2012, 04:38 AM
I will hafta check Phoebe and Penelope when I get home. I don't recall them having the ears clipped.

if they were spayed at a vet in the usual way then they won't have clipped ears. the clipped ears is only for *feral* cats (so you can tell at a glance whether it's been TNR or not). sometimes it won't be clipped so dramatically--sometimes it's just a small notch in the ear (a smaller wound, possibly blood-free) which you can still see at a difference.

wa6mhz
09-06-2012, 08:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

and the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pOa9DVGCVo&feature=related