PDA

View Full Version : West Nile Virus: If You're Over 50, Your Risk Is Higher.

N2NH
08-30-2012, 03:35 PM
A record outbreak of West Nile Virus which came to the US in large part to the climate change (deniers say isn't happening). The numbers will probably get worse in the deep south in the aftermath of Isaac since the venue of infection is via mosquito and there will be a lot of water around afterwards...

Federal health officials are warning older adults to take extra steps to protect themselves against the mosquito responsible for this summer’s record outbreak of West Nile virus (http://healthtools-stage.aarp.org/galecontent/west-nile-virus-infection/2).
Thanks to the extreme heat and drought affecting the country, the mosquito that carries the West Nile virus has flourished. The result, say officials with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm), is the worst outbreak of the virus in history — infecting people in 47 states and causing 41 deaths so far.

The 1,118 cases reported as of this week are the most since the virus was first detected in the United States in 1999. About 75 percent come from just five states — Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Dakota and Oklahoma. Texas has been particularly hard hit, with nearly half the cases reported there.
The only states not reporting West Nile activity are Vermont, Alaska and Hawaii.

Peak season is just arriving now.

Texas seems to be getting hit on all sides this year. Fire, drought, West Nile.. you'd think Pharoah wouldn't harden his heart, but hey, it's not like God is sending a message is it??

2012 West Nile Record Outbreak (http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-08-2012/west-nile-virus-avoid-mosquito-bites.html?cmp=NLC-RSS-DAILY-BULLETIN-083012-H1)

w0aew
08-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Can't outrun the skeeters anymore when you're over 50.

n2ize
08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Well, the good part is that most cases are mild, resembling a mild flu. But sometimes they can be nasty. This is unfortunately what happens when they stop spraying for mosquitos. During the summer months there should be a nationwide aerial spraying campaign. Spraying can be done at night when most people are indoors. Hard to reach areas or areas with high ground level concentrations of mosquitos can also be sprayed from ground level, i.e. via truck or sending in men on food with hand cannisters. But most of the spraying can be done rapidly from the air. If done on a regular basis during the summer mosquitos can be kept to a minimum and risks of disease will be reduced.

KG4CGC
08-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Virgins are overrated.

n2ize
08-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Virgins are overrated.
I don't get it ?? What does this have to do with "west nile virus" ?? I don't know about virgins. I have no interest in virgins. You have used this in two threads already. I don;t understand what you are trying to say ?

W5GA
08-30-2012, 08:05 PM
That's ok, John...it's in code. He's actually sending a message to embedded agents in Portland.

WØTKX
08-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Biting skeeters are breeding females?

VE7DCW
08-30-2012, 09:53 PM
British Columbia is one of the few places in North America where West Nile virus has not shown up..... we seem to have the virus in territories all around us,but for some reasons that even science can't explain it has stayed away.The health officials keep a wary eye for reports of dead crows and other birds that the virus will kill,but so far we've been lucky...... a nasty malady if you catch it from the mosquitos by the reports i've heard about it :-|

n2ize
08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
That's ok, John...it's in code. He's actually sending a message to embedded agents in Portland.
Yeah, I guess so. Hope his message got through to the Portland agents.,.. LOL

kf0rt
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
To the virgins of the world: Thanks for nuthin'.

Read that somewhere. Probably on a bathroom wall.

KG4NEL
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
This is unfortunately what happens when they stop spraying for mosquitos. During the summer months there should be a nationwide aerial spraying campaign. Spraying can be done at night when most people are indoors. Hard to reach areas or areas with high ground level concentrations of mosquitos can also be sprayed from ground level, i.e. via truck or sending in men on food with hand cannisters. But most of the spraying can be done rapidly from the air. If done on a regular basis during the summer mosquitos can be kept to a minimum and risks of disease will be reduced.

Dow and Monsanto have had a great history of making these things safe :yum:

KC2UGV
08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Well, the good part is that most cases are mild, resembling a mild flu. But sometimes they can be nasty. This is unfortunately what happens when they stop spraying for mosquitos. During the summer months there should be a nationwide aerial spraying campaign. Spraying can be done at night when most people are indoors. Hard to reach areas or areas with high ground level concentrations of mosquitos can also be sprayed from ground level, i.e. via truck or sending in men on food with hand cannisters. But most of the spraying can be done rapidly from the air. If done on a regular basis during the summer mosquitos can be kept to a minimum and risks of disease will be reduced.

Even better idea than spraying?

Make ponds, and keep them populated with gold fish. Gold fish absolutely LOVE mosquito larvae.

And, for run off areas? Capture your water in cisterns, and keep them covered.

Best way to promote mosquitoes? Create large expanses of flat, non-permeable surface, where eventually, water pools somewhere. And that somewhere generally has no predators of the mosquito.

n2ize
09-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Even better idea than spraying?

Make ponds, and keep them populated with gold fish. Gold fish absolutely LOVE mosquito larvae.

And, for run off areas? Capture your water in cisterns, and keep them covered.

Best way to promote mosquitoes? Create large expanses of flat, non-permeable surface, where eventually, water pools somewhere. And that somewhere generally has no predators of the mosquito.
Yeah, that is an idea. And I think it can help pout considerably. However, in densly populated urban and suburban areas I think your idea + a regular spraying operation would work out quite well.

KC2UGV
09-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah, that is an idea. And I think it can help pout considerably. However, in densly populated urban and suburban areas I think your idea + a regular spraying operation would work out quite well.

There's no need for regular spraying toxins onto cities, if you create balanced habitats in urban areas. Even small ponds work, if you keep you run off from pooling. Pooled run off creates lopsided habitats for mosquitoes with no predators, hence the issues we have.