PDA

View Full Version : Another Microsoft Screwup

N1LAF
08-28-2012, 10:40 PM
I have an older program that uses an older version of Microsoft Help file format. I get a message that I can download a program to run the program, just click here. So I did.

Next was a prompt to download and run a Genuine Windows validation program, and to enter the validation code so I can run this older Microsoft help file.

I download from the Microsoft site, and run it, and I get the message "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that your system clock is accurate"

WTF!!!!

First of all, it is from THEIR WEBSITE, FROM THEIR INTERNET HELP LINK AUTOMATICALLY PROVIDED FROM THEIR OS.

Second of all, it is a stupid help file I can run on a better OS, like Windows XP!

Yeah, I am frustrated by the stupidity of the new Ballmer Microsoft, and to jump through all these hoops just to run an older help file, they are 'effing nuts.

I just responded the same way to their feedback, like they are really going to listen.

After this year, no more Microsoft crappy OS's and their stupid incompatibility problems. I can run my programs in a VMware window on another OS, I don't need this crap!

N1LAF
08-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Now I read it may have something to do with using Firefox, tried to find the plugin because the lazy Microsoft will not provide it. So, I went to open Microsoft Internet Explorer, and it locks up every time - not responding.

WTF???

You would think Microsoft would try to do something right, that their browser does not work on their OS, stock from Dell.

How does this stupid company stay in business????

By the way, Firefox runs like a champ, while Microsoft Internet Explorer chokes

N1LAF
08-28-2012, 11:01 PM
I swear I am going to overwrite the Windows 7 on this Netbook with XP....

At least programs work almost all the time in XP, and no incompatibility problems

I have little patience for stupid Microsoft crap

X-Rated
08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I like xp.

WØTKX
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I like Windows 7 and 8.

WØTKX
08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/how-to-run-legacy-help-files-in-windows-7/6174

N1LAF
08-28-2012, 11:33 PM
http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/how-to-run-legacy-help-files-in-windows-7/6174

Nice link, more fancy, but still the same problem.

http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/6365236-620-294.jpg

When the validation program is downloaded and run, it says to download a newer program, and check the computer clock accuracy! Duh, the clock is right. No link to the newer program, and my netbook from Dell is stock, original.

WØTKX
08-28-2012, 11:41 PM
OK. I have so few problems with Windows 7.

Guess it's because I'm annointed with an MCSE. :dunno:

N1LAF
08-29-2012, 12:00 AM

Different worlds. I am not using the same programs as you are.

I have a stock, non-modified Dell Netbook, and it won't run Internet Explorer, though Firefox works great. Can you explain that one?

KG4NEL
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Different worlds. I am not using the same programs as you are.

I have a stock, non-modified Dell Netbook, and it won't run Internet Explorer, though Firefox works great. Can you explain that one?

It's Internet Explorer.

Come over to Chrome, it won't bite...I promise :mrgreen:

KJ3N
08-30-2012, 10:07 AM

That can't be it. I'm having very few (if any) problems with 7 and I don't have an MCSE.

ETA: In fact, I don't believe I have any formal computer training. Pretty much self taught over the last 25 years.

KJ3N
08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
It's Internet Explorer.

Come over to Chrome, it won't bite...I promise :mrgreen:

MSIE (AKA MicroShaft Internet Exploder) has been broken in one fashion or another for over a decade. :roll:

WØTKX
08-30-2012, 10:24 AM
That can't be it. I'm having very few (if any) problems with 7 and I don't have an MCSE.

ETA: In fact, I don't believe I have any formal computer training. Pretty much self taught over the last 25 years.
My MCSE is from 1998. It's from the NT days. :lol:

But, it makes as compelling a statement as bragging about having an MBA, eh?

Neither prove the ability of critical thinking. Snarky snark is snarky. ;)

N1LAF
08-30-2012, 10:36 AM

Neither prove the ability of critical thinking. Snarky snark is snarky. ;)

I don't know about bragging about MBA, but to earn certifications, such as MCSE is a significant achievement, and should be respected. Nothing wrong with that.

kf0rt
08-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I got me one of them extree class ham thingies. :lol:

KJ3N
08-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Wasn't that about the time all those computer training schools were starting to pump out thousands of MCSEs? I seem to remember back in the early 2000s running into a few of those people. Not many of them had a lick of sense.

Wouldn't know. I's is just a hy skool grad-ji-ate. ;)

Neither prove the ability of critical thinking. ;)

Ah, yep.

KG4NEL
08-30-2012, 12:11 PM
MSIE (AKA MicroShaft Internet Exploder) has been broken in one fashion or another for over a decade. :roll:

I went to Firefox not long after it was released...early 2005, maybe. Other than a flirtation with Opera somewhere in there, once I went Chrome there was no need to look at anything else :yes:

N1LAF
08-30-2012, 04:08 PM
I got me one of them extree class ham thingies. :lol:

... and you did it! Bet you didn't need the Government to pass the test.

ad4mg
08-30-2012, 04:13 PM
... and you did it! Bet you didn't need the Government to pass the test.

Just a reminder: Islanders, as just a reminder, we do have a forum intended for political discussion. Let's try our best at keeping the political discussion in that forum. There's no need for political sniping outside of the politics forum. We have witnessed a lot of political trolling/sniping in otherwise non-political threads and we'd like to rein that in a bit.. we have no desire to take a heavy handed approach in moderating, so please consider this a gentle nudge. :)

We recognize with the election only a few couple of months away, things are very tense, but let's make an effort to accommodate our non-political Islanders. Thank you for your cooperation!

Pom-poms in the computer room. Just sayin'...

WØTKX
08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
HA!

Is there a help file for that? :spin:

kf0rt
08-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Hell, I was just testing my rote memorization abilities. Most degree programs do this, too. :stickpoke:

KJ3N
08-30-2012, 07:49 PM
HA!

Is there a help file for that? :spin:

:rofl:

N1LAF
08-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Pom-poms in the computer room. Just sayin'...

No, this is personal recognition of achievement and encouragement, not political

WØTKX
08-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Hell, I was just testing my rote memorization abilities. Most degree programs do this, too. :stickpoke:

Freakin' packer for brains! :stickpoke:

kf0rt
08-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Freakin' packer for brains! :stickpoke:

Well, ya know... Living in a packer world and all. I should apolize...

ad4mg
08-31-2012, 03:37 AM
No, this is personal recognition of achievement and encouragement, not political

Sure thing, OM. *wink* *wink*

BTW, your comment was in response to Rob's "extree class ham thingies". Excellent display of deception/denial. Nice touch, editing your signature, obviously the 'shiny nickel' tactic.

Pffffffffffffffft.

W5GA
08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
I've got the extree class thingy, too. Rote memorization rules, as I don't have the math skills to understand most of the theory. Put a wrench in my hands, and it's a whole different ball game, though.

kf0rt
08-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm real weak on antenna theory. Scored right at the pass level on the first practice test I took. A few weeks of study; missed one question on the real test. Yeah, it was an antenna question.

Let me get this straight... you put RF into a piece of wire, and it does WHAT? :lol:

WØTKX
08-31-2012, 10:35 AM
My brain Hertz.

http://youtu.be/igcr5uPt5Hg (http://youtu.be/igcr5uPt5Hg)

http://youtu.be/igcr5uPt5Hg

KG4CGC
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
I've got the extree class thingy, too. Rote memorization rules, as I don't have the math skills to understand most of the theory. Put a wrench in my hands, and it's a whole different ball game, though.

Word.
ETA: When I took the test in Shelby, the questions and their places in the multiple choice set up, was not the same as they are in the book. The correct answer still matched the question but if it was choice A in the book, it may have been choice C on the test. Previous Tech and General tests, both taken in Spartanburg SC, the tests matched the book, word for word exactly.
The difference for me was that I spent an extra 5 minutes making sure that I agreed with my completed test before I turned it in.

WØTKX
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Have not bothered to upgrade. One of these days.
I screw up rote memorization tests.
But give me tools and test instruments...

I WILL BUILD IT!

Ooops, was that political? I'm such a bastid.

N1LAF
08-31-2012, 12:27 PM
+
Have not bothered to upgrade. One of these days.
I screw up rote memorization tests.
But give me tools and test instruments...

I WILL BUILD IT!

Preach it, Dave!

WØTKX
08-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Like you're my biggest fan?

I graciously decline your Pom Poms waved to support me. Sorry.

Because this is war.

Hey man, I got the usage of your and you're correct. Pfffffffft.

N1LAF
08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Like you're my biggest fan?

I graciously decline your Pom Poms waved to support me. Sorry.

Because this is war.

Hey man, I got the usage of your and you're correct. Pfffffffft.

I am NOT a fan of yours, but will support self-effort, self-determination, and all supporting concepts. A person can be either complainer or a can-do, and it looks like you are a can-do, so there, that aspect gets praises.

But when it comes to half empty/half full, angry/happy mean/kind, maybe you are the mean, angry half-empty type.

WØTKX
08-31-2012, 01:30 PM
To you, I am exactly as you say I am. :roll:

N1LAF
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
To you, I am exactly as you say I am. :roll:

In your own actions, mannerisms, and words.

WØTKX
08-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Considering the source, I'll take that as a compliment.