PDA

View Full Version : I lost a good friend this weekend.

koØm
08-27-2012, 03:57 PM
He was the fellow who held the "DC-Sky's The Limit" Shoot-out Belt (Hound Dog). He had the Canary Yellow Suburban with antennas mounted all over it. He passed away after receiving a diagnosis of leukemia about 18 months ago.

You wanna hear something F*CKED UP? He passed at home at 3:00 AM Sunday morning, his wife was holding his hand when he went. At 4:00 AM Sunday morning, the wife had a massive Heart Attack and was pronounced dead at 5:00 AM Sunday Morning.

What is leukemia? (http://www.webmd.com/cancer/tc/leukemia-topic-overview)Leukemia is cancer of the blood cells. It starts in the bone marrow, the soft tissue inside most bones. Bone marrow is where blood cells are made.

What causes leukemia?

Experts don't know what causes leukemia. But some things are known to increase the risk of some kinds of leukemia. These things are called risk factors. You are more likely to get leukemia if you:

Were exposed to large amounts of radiation (http://www.webmd.com/cancer/what-to-expect-from-radiation-therapy).
Were exposed to certain chemicals at work, such as benzene.
Had some types of chemotherapy to treat another cancer (http://www.webmd.com/cancer/).
Have Down syndrome (http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/down-syndrome) or some other genetic problems.
Smoke

So much for QRO Amps.

2 X 128 2sc2879s transistors inside a panel truck over a periods of years might just be enough 'radiation' !

X-Rated
08-27-2012, 04:24 PM
So sorry to hear this.

PA5COR
08-27-2012, 05:18 PM
I lost a good friend and ham last year to cancer, so i have a good idea how you feel.
I hope they both can rest in peace and for you the time might dull the edges of the pain you now feel.

Take care,
Cor

N8YX
08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear this, Mel. The father of a childhood friend died of the same ailment, and it's something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

N2CHX
08-27-2012, 05:40 PM
So sorry for your loss.

K7SGJ
08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Sorry for your loss, Mel. My first wife was diagnosed with leukemia about a year after we were married. She battled that for almost 10 years before it took her. She was only 28 when she passed. It's really tough to see someone you love go through something like that, and know you can't do a GD thing for them. I know there have been many advancements since then, and can only hope that a cure is imminent.

W3WN
08-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear this. My sympathies and condolences to you and your friend's family.

Oh, and just so you know: The radiation that's being referred to in that quote is ionizing radiation. That is, radiation with "sufficient energy to ionize an atom" -- not non-ionizing radiation, such as those emitted by an RF amplifier. But if you really feel the need to ditch your amplifier, just send it to me and I'll make sure it's properly taken care of.

KG4CGC
08-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear about this. A good friend had a form of it. University of Wisconsin Medical treated him with stem cells. He lives in Madison.
It's tough when we lose a friend and it even tougher when you hear about their loved ones grieving, to death.

koØm
09-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear about this. A good friend had a form of it. University of Wisconsin Medical treated him with stem cells. He lives in Madison.
It's tough when we lose a friend and it even tougher when you hear about their loved ones grieving, to death.

Yup, and this 'ol world keeps right on spinning.

There was an overflow turnout of family and friends and a moving ceremony with rememberances from friends and associates. He was a member of "The Rooster Channeljumpers" CB Club and the members served as his Pall Bearers. He was wearing the "DC-Skys-The-Limit" Shoot-out Belt when they buried him.

One of the local CB'ers started a rumor (that all the other CB'ers heard before going into the church) that Hound Dog's chief adversary/nemesis "Black Beauty" was stopped by the Cincinnati Police for breaking into the church and stealing as he was excaping with the "DC Sky's-The-Limit" shoot-out belt at 4:00 am the morning of the services.:lol:

The ownership of the CB Equipment / Shoot-out Truck became cloudy and unsettled as, both the owner and his wife died, the oldest son of the last surviving spouse (the wife) claimed all property in-spite of the fact that the cost of ownership of the truck, the work, the radio equipment and, amplifiers was split between the club members and family members of Hound Dog. This was known to him and all surviving family.

The Dilettante owner is aware of the ability of the truck and his plan is to get someone to run the truck and Shoot-out at the next big CB Get-together. From there, there is a plan to auction the truck off; it is hoped that the truck will bring in $20,000.

Yes, seriously.