PDA

View Full Version : Southern California earthquake swarm

K7SGJ
08-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Never heard of Earthquake Swarms before. I hope you're okay, Carl , and that Pat stays out of the garage so nothing falls on him. Both of you stay safe.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/08/california-earthquake-swarm-expected-to-last-for-days-.html

NQ6U
08-27-2012, 02:38 PM
If you think that yellow jacket swarms are a problem, just imagine swarms of earthquakes...

Actually, that a happened on the San Andreas fault in the Imperial Valley, 150 miles east of here and the 'quakes were not very powerful. I wasn't even aware of them until I heard about it on the news.

VE7DCW
08-27-2012, 05:52 PM
We're watching what's going on that fault with great interest...... we are on the other end of the fault......although it conncts with the juan de fuca plate on the seabed ....... science has showed that a quake at one end on several occasions will somehow spur a quake at the other end shortly after!

The Pacific ring of fire .......more than a Johnny Cash tune ! :mrgreen:

NA4BH
08-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Ah crap, I thought it said an earthworm swarm. Now that would be something to write about.

K7SGJ
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Ah crap, I thought it said an earthworm swarm. Now that would be something to write about.

Which would naturally lead to Mahi-mania.

NQ6U
08-27-2012, 09:19 PM
We're watching what's going on that fault with great interest...... we are on the other end of the fault......although it conncts with the juan de fuca plate on the seabed ....... science has showed that a quake at one end on several occasions will somehow spur a quake at the other end shortly after!

The Pacific ring of fire .......more than a Johnny Cash tune ! :mrgreen:

Yep, it's a real thrill ride here on the Pacific Plate, sliding to the northeast at the breakneck pace of ~35mm a year. But I still think map makers were trying to get away with something when they chose the name "Juan de Fuca."

W5GA
08-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Juan is so incredibly straight.

NA4BH
08-27-2012, 11:06 PM
But he knows how to FUCA.

VE7DCW
08-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Yep, it's a real thrill ride here on the Pacific Plate, sliding to the northeast at the breakneck pace of ~35mm a year. But I still think map makers were trying to get away with something when they chose the name "Juan de Fuca."

It's all in the translation ...... Juan de Fuca,the supposed discoverer of the existance of the strait between Vancouver Island and what would be the Washington U.S.A. mainland in 1592,was a transplanted Greek!!! ...... who's real name was Ioánnis Fokás ....... the story goes the spanish could'nt pronounce his name so like everything spanish, it became Juan :rofl:

n6hcm
08-28-2012, 03:27 AM
those were weird: some friends living in sd felt the quake pretty vividly ... their neighbors across the street didn't feel a thing. that's how it goes with earthquakes sometimes.

kb2vxa
08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
So whose fault was that? San Andea's fault! Now who the hell was John of Shipwreck? Greek huh, that REALLY was lost in translation!

VE7DCW
08-28-2012, 11:42 PM
So whose fault was that? San Andea's fault! Now who the hell was John of Shipwreck? Greek huh, that REALLY was lost in translation!

Yup ...... and there was even a question wether Juan de Fuca ever was a living breathing person ! .....maybe that got lost in the translation as well..... a legend was born .... :lol: