PDA

View Full Version : more from the "can't make this up" dept.

W5GA
08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Any Machinist's Mate could have told the brass that aluminum on steel, mixed with seawater, is a really bad path to follow.
http://nation.time.com/2011/07/05/u-s-navys-brand-new-aluminum-ship-foiled-by-seawater/

NQ6U
08-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Any Machinist's Mate could have told the brass that aluminum on steel, mixed with seawater, is a really bad path to follow.
http://nation.time.com/2011/07/05/u-s-navys-brand-new-aluminum-ship-foiled-by-seawater/

Anyone with a basic understanding of how a battery works could tell them that dissimilar metals submerged in an electrolyte results in ions flowing from one metal to the other.

NY3V
08-26-2012, 10:04 PM
I thought that was the whole idea.

For the ships to be energy independant like giant batteries. ;)

kb2vxa
08-26-2012, 11:20 PM
The electrical code in Ocean County, NJ bans aluminium EMT so it's not sold here. Makes a good antenna mast but I had to go to a supply house up north to get it. I can see why, aluminium antennas corrode rather quickly in the salt air so not surprisingly there is no such thing as an aluminium hull boat around here except for row boats that are only in the water a few hours at a time. Then there are steel bridge supports with replaceable zinc anodes and active electrolytic protection has been used on steel hull ships for years. Time to coin a new phrase or rather re-strike an old coin; naval intelligence, a conflict in terms.

In the Navy...
They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!
They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!
..But..but..but I'm afraid of water!
..hey..hey..look, men...
I get seasick even watching it on the TV!
They want You! - Oh my goodness!
They want you! - What am I gonna do in a submarine?
They want you! They want you!
On an aluminium hull ship
To see how it sinks
In the Navy.
In the Navy...

W5GA
08-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I thought that was the whole idea.

For the ships to be energy independant like giant batteries. ;)
All well and good, but it's a real pisser to have to swim the last couple of miles when you go to Japan! ;)

PA5COR
08-27-2012, 05:25 AM
There are a lot of aluminium hulled ships on the ocean, passenger boats, luxury yachts, ferry's to name a few, but in the design phase one should take great care to use materials that won't let the hull be eaten up by the sea, and since lots of ships have been build and succesfully sail for decades it certainly is possible to use aluminium for hulls.
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/aluminum-passenger-ferry.html

KK4AMI
08-27-2012, 07:50 AM
We have a "Beast" of a yacht slipped near us. A 91 foot 1981 Motor Yacht with all aluminum hull. Just keep up with your grounding, zinc anodes, through hulls and hire a bosun and crew to keep up with painting and bingo an aluminum hull is practical. Its in a bank foreclosure sale, so the only thing that appears to have been eaten up was the owners finances!

KG4CGC
08-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Clitoral Combat Ships WHAT?

N2NH
08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Clitoral Combat Ships WHAT?

Smells of fish.

KG4CGC
08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
We have a "Beast" of a yacht slipped near us. A 91 foot 1981 Motor Yacht with all aluminum hull. Just keep up with your grounding, zinc anodes, through hulls and hire a bosun and crew to keep up with painting and bingo an aluminum hull is practical. Its in a bank foreclosure sale, so the only thing that appears to have been eaten up was the owners finances!

Ever see the one that the CEO of Blockbuster has/had? Over 100 yards long and he had a yacht docked ON the yacht because the yacht was too large for regular docking. He had to take his smaller yacht in to get to shore.

Here are some sea faring vessels that people call yachts.
http://yachtpals.com/largest-yachts-9067

W5GA
08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
so the only thing that appears to have been eaten up was the owners finances!
Synonymous with boat, which is an acronym for break out another thousand.

n2ize
08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Too bad they didn't save the money and spend it on building a few new schools or roads or something.