PDA

View Full Version : The Nerve of Nye to say Moon reflects light.

X-Rated
08-26-2012, 11:27 AM
But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

Linky (http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for)

KG4CGC
08-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I know you put this in GC but these are the same people who will vote Pro Rape in November.

n2ize
08-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Linky (http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/blogs/bill-nye-bood-in-texas-for)
From the above link

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

I'll bet this women "home school's" her kids and used Abeca or Bob Jones books. I doubt it will be a problem for them later on in life, I am sure she has told her kids not to ever go on to any of those evil liberal colleges anyways.

X-Rated
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I know you put this in GC but these are the same people who will vote Pro Rape in November.

No matter where I post shit, people bitch.

N5RLR
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM
No matter where I post shit, people bitch.
And anything mentioning Texas will draw out the hating douchebags.

For some of us, the Civil War ended 147 years ago. Get the fuck over it, already. :irked:

KG4CGC
08-26-2012, 12:33 PM

For some of us, the Civil War ended 147 years ago. Get the fuck over it, already. :irked:

I'm just so jealous of Texas and the situation there. Not.

X-Rated
08-26-2012, 12:41 PM

I lived in Texas for over 8 years. Loved it. What's your point?

n2ize
08-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Nobody hates Texas. However, it is kind of odd and worthy of a small degree of mention when you are in a place and people get up and walk out because a man states the scientific fact the moon reflects the light of the sun because they think it conflicts with something about "two lights" in the bible. I can understand a woman shielding her kids from something that may be improper but, shielding them from fact and reality ?? That is kinda strange and since Nye is a popular guy it is bound to generate a little bit of press.

KG4CGC
08-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Nobody hates Texas. However, it is kind of odd and worthy of a small degree of mention when you are in a place and people get up and walk out because a man states the scientific fact the moon reflects the light of the sun because they think it conflicts with something about "two lights" in the bible. I can understand a woman shielding her kids from something that may be improper but, shielding them from fact and reality ?? That is kinda strange and since Nye is a popular guy it is bound to generate a little bit of press.

Well, John. Consider that this same group, teaches that when ((G)od) gets angry at his flock, he stomps on clouds and crashes them together causing thunder.

N5RLR
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Eh, I let the "hating" get on my nerves, sometimes. There are many people in this state who do not fit the stereotypical Bible-thumping, physical-science-ignorant mindset. They are an embarrassment to the rest of us.

n2ize
08-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Eh, I let the "hating" get on my nerves, sometimes. There are many people in this state who do not fit the stereotypical Bible-thumping, physical-science-ignorant mindset. They are an embarrassment to the rest of us.

Stereotyping is never a good thing and is something I try to avoid. Plenty of very intelligent and great people came from Texas and the average Texan certainly is not a stereotypical bible-thumper. While a few people got up and left it sounds like the majority of people stayed to listen.

KG4CGC
08-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Agreed. I actually know a few Texans personally. Some of them are actually, *gasp* LIBERALS! I also know a few liberals in my own state. Since the Party of Rape has shown its true colors, many once proud Republican women are giving the Republican party the bird finger and banding together nationally to get the word out about the reality of the Party of Rape.

NQ6U
08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
There are many people in this state who do not fit the stereotypical Bible-thumping, physical-science-ignorant mindset. They are an embarrassment to the rest of us.

Now that's some funny right there. Bravo

NY3V
08-26-2012, 02:33 PM
...There are many people in this state who do not fit the stereotypical Bible-thumping, physical-science-ignorant mindset...

Do you mean the people who moved there? ;)

N2NH
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

They misspelled WacKo. Three kids that will be ignorant and vote the GOP idiot line.

And Austin, TX doesn't count, Jerry. When the flood comes, Austin will likely be an island left over from the rest of the carnage.

X-Rated
08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I lived in Dallas for a few years also.

kb2vxa
08-26-2012, 11:32 PM
"There are many people in this state who do not fit the stereotypical Bible-thumping, physical-science-ignorant mindset. They are an embarrassment to the rest of us."

Hank Hill couldn't have said it any better. (;->)