PDA

View Full Version : The psychology of selling crap online

N2CHX
08-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I've found that people will flat-out try to low-ball you or simply not buy it at all if you put it up for sale with free shipping and a slightly higher price to make up the difference, but if you then list the same item for a lower price and charge for shipping but the two added together are the same price as the original sale price, people will buy it. WTF is up with that?

KG4CGC
08-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Derp de derppity doo!

WØTKX
08-26-2012, 10:59 AM
It works better if the word "minty" is used.

Oh, and put it on the shelf that is at eyeball level.

NQ6U
08-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Then there's the moron who calls or e-mails you to ask "what's the lowest you can go?" As Janet said, "a profoundly stupid question."

X-Rated
08-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Then there's the moron who calls or e-mails you to ask "what's the lowest you can go?" As Janet said, "a profoundly stupid question."

You can always retort, "I could have said your mother's a floozie, but I think we would all agree that is too low."

kb2vxa
08-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Once upon a time I knew a professor at Rutgers who taught marketing psychology who happened to be the president of the ham radio club I belonged to at the time. He brought some students to a meeting apparently to observe our reaction to a questionnaire he handed out, they looked pretty bored as they all ended up on the floor... all except mine. I filled it out and returned it to him, wider and wider his eyes got as he read my acerbic answers, then he got to the kicker where I gave my opinion of commercial advertizing and store layout. "All BS lies and deception." He didn't like truth very much.

W4GPL
08-27-2012, 04:36 AM
I had an item listed for $30 including shipping for the CONUSA... someone offered me $24.. Where the hell do they come up with $24? And why do I find $24 more insulting than $25? ;)

To the same point, I find that most people have a greatly over inflated sense of what their stuff is worth. "I bought this couch 8 years ago for $1200, so surely it's worth $900 now.." -- uhh, what?

KG4CGC
08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I had an item listed for $30 including shipping for the CONUSA... someone offered me $24.. Where the hell do they come up with $24? And why do I find $24 more insulting than $25? ;)

To the same point, I find that most people have a greatly over inflated sense of what their stuff is worth. "I bought this couch 8 years ago for $1200, so surely it's worth $900 now.." -- uhh, what?

That old couch is heavier due to expelled and trapped particulates from farts. Farts trapped in seat cushions do indeed account for a yearly gain of about 10% in couch weight. Someone must think a lot of their own farts since due to the destructive nature of particles of shit trapped in fabric they're thinking it has only devaluated by $300. It lost that much of a hit the day the took delivery of it.

NA4BH
08-27-2012, 06:29 PM

I might give ya $15 if you pay shipping. :stickpoke:

W3WN
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Why do some people think that $24.97 is 'cheaper' than an even $25 on an item?
Why do some people think that $30, sales tax included, is more expensive that $27.95 with sales tax?
Why do most car buyers assume that the new car dealership has done all the math right, and given them all due rebates and incentives, and gotten the best possible deal... when the dealership is using their in-house financing & quoting you a monthly payment, not a final cost?
Why will some hams buy a radio from the toy store (when they can actually get to one) in an adjacent state, for $2000, and pay the 8% or greater sales tax, rather than have it shipped overnight to their house for $40 -- with no sales tax since it's an out of state transaction? ( A loophole that the State of PA is trying to close )
The appearance of getting a deal has a huge psychological boost. But if you don't read the fine print, and most people don't, you may not realize that appearances are deceiving.

N2CHX
08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I had an item up for $30 with free shipping. Went for a week, tons of views, tons of watchers but no bites. Several offers for less money but I would have lost money on shipping, so I declined. I put the same item back up for $20 and $10 shipping and two things happened. First, within an hour I get an email from a guy who had offered $20, demanding to know why I declined his offer but then put it back up for the same price he offered. Obviously he was oblivious to shipping charges. Second, it wasn't a minute after I answered that email that someone bought the thing for full price -- and to top it off, they're Canadian so the total came to about $50 with shipping to Canada. People are weird.

kb2vxa
08-28-2012, 11:04 PM
"People are weird."
I'm glad you finally noticed that, there for a while you had me worried.

X-Rated
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
I had an item up for $30 with free shipping. Went for a week, tons of views, tons of watchers but no bites. Several offers for less money but I would have lost money on shipping, so I declined. I put the same item back up for $20 and $10 shipping and two things happened. First, within an hour I get an email from a guy who had offered $20, demanding to know why I declined his offer but then put it back up for the same price he offered. Obviously he was oblivious to shipping charges. Second, it wasn't a minute after I answered that email that someone bought the thing for full price -- and to top it off, they're Canadian so the total came to about $50 with shipping to Canada. People are weird.

Now when I read your posts, I hear Daria.

KG4CGC
08-29-2012, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQzpCqTnvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQzpCqTnvo

N2CHX
08-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Now when I read your posts, I hear Daria.

Well... who else would you hear when you read my posts?

N2CHX
08-29-2012, 07:04 AM
"People are weird."
I'm glad you finally noticed that, there for a while you had me worried.

The longer I live, the more I realize I'm not so weird after all.