PDA

View Full Version : And so it goes

KB3LAZ
08-26-2012, 04:01 AM
Spring has passed, summer has come and gone, fall is upon us, and winter is just around the corner.

Not only these past few days but the passing months have made me think more and more. About how trivial a single persons life or the lives of a family may seem in the grand scheme of things but how relevant they are to us as individuals. Though our lives may not be worth noting, historically, they all tell a story. Laying awake in bed last night, knowing that today I would take my parents to the airport I talked with my wife for what seemed like a life time. Talking times past, the present, and the future. Many conclusions were drawn, laughs were had and tears were shed. One never knows how much they will miss someone or something until it or they is no longer there. With each passing day goodbyes become more difficult. Which is why a see you later is much more tolerable than a farewell. Nonetheless it is hard. However makes you grateful that another day will dawn and that there is time to be spent with the ones we love. It is not until they have truly gone that you have to say goodbye.

Eight days have come and passed is if the blink of an eye. More so, four moths have passed with a single breath. Two years have come and gone as if a recent memory. As they say, time stops for no one (or is it slows?).

Ive had an epiphany, I am host to feelings that I now realize that other family members can not share nor understand until they have gone through a similar situation. Yes, they play host to many feelings as well but some things you can not truly understand until you face them. As I stood in the airport lobby I watched my parents proceed through the security line and fade away into the crowd. Rapidly becoming a blur they faded into mere shadows until they were nothing more than a memory. The realization that I had is that no mater where I live, here or there, I will have an abundance of family that I miss. As the one that leaves you miss everyone at all times as there are constant reminders everywhere. You have not the others to console. As the ones that stay behind you miss the loved one that departs but you have those close to confide in. Basically, with each day that passes we age and with age we realize more and more what our family means to us, no mater how dysfunctional. Slowly the realization sets in that you have but a mere lifetime to spend with them. To some, rather all, a lifetime seems like an eternity until we are faced with its end.

My wife said something rather brilliant to me last night, "Do not be so hard on your father. When you feel he is embarrassing you or attempts to enrage you, he is merely being himself. Once he is gone, those are the times you will miss." She is right, of course. Much like with moving to Spain, it is the little things that you miss. Those things that you take for granted.

last night was our reception and a good time was had by all. Everyone laughing and enjoying themselves. What more could one as for? The eight hour event trickled away into the night and was no more. This brings me to a quote of which the author I do not recall.

All things, for better or worse must come to an end. If it were not so then they would be meaningless. Or something like that. Basically, today must pass for tomorrow to be born. I had never given it much thought before last night.

Anyway, I have about 1200 pictures to upload to my online album. o0

PA5COR
08-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Good recognisable reading Travis.

My parents passed away, i buried both of them, the last thing you can do for them, even when our bond wasn't good.
When time passes your memory gets selective, you still remember the bad times but time blunts the edges of the pain, you remember more of the good moments you had with them.

Our time here is short and what we make of it has limited time, so enjoy every day every minute, don't be dragged down by little things getting in your hair.
Here i am, 60 years old, and time flew from when i was a kid happily playing in the street, not one minute of my life i regret, i might change a few things if i could do it over, but even then these times were valuable in my learning experience that is life.

The older i get the faster time seems to pass by, when i was a kid a day took almost a month to pass, now a year flies by...
I had no real bond with my parents, still i took care of both when it was needed, because they were who they were, and even if i failed in life to bring them so far as to accept my choices how i wanted to live, that was their right to do and i accepted that, just before my dad passed away we had a long talk, and could speak out most of our differences, my mum went to the care taking home, and became demented, so we never had that opportunity.

I always lived my life very independent, not accepting help but offering it a lot, and i have no regrets looking back, strongly independent, used to clean up my own messes and life made me to what i am today, some think i am a twat, maybe they even are right...

My strong feeling of justice let me take on many official body's if i thought they fooked up, costing me lots of money and time, winning all my windmill battles gave at least some satisfaction, but changed my life a lot.

Still doing that till today like helping ham's out when there is a problem in putting up antenna masts etc.
Live your life as you see fit, and in concert with Pili you chose as life partner, i have always talked to the wife here about what i wanted to do, and if she agreed with it, and mostly i got great support.

Your posts read like someone that has a lot more sense and knowledge as someone your age shows today, not just trying to talk you up, just a observation i made over time.
That is commendable, and it will certainly lead you in your life ahead.
Take care, and make every day a special day.

Cor

N2CHX
08-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Travis, you're one of the wisest 20-something's I've ever encountered. So true, all of it.

N2NH
08-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Very true and very wisely said. Sounds like you are going through the time speed up that happens when you enter your twenties. When you are in 2nd grade, summer seems to take a year. By the time you are in your early twenties, time speeds up and it seems that summer is gone by the time you notice. It happens pretty quickly at that age, suddenly time is just going at warp speed. Time continues to speed up the older you get. Over half of your life has passed by the time you're 18, if time is any indication.

At least that has been my experience.

KG4CGC
08-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Remember the episode when Picard lived an entire adult lifetime in 20 minutes?

NQ6U
08-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Yeah. And, sometimes, my own adult life seems to have gone by in about 20 minutes: "I got old—how the fuck did that happen?"

PA5COR
08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Just saw the episode again this week, at least he learned to play the flute.....;)

NY3V
08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
"I got old—how the fuck did that happen?"

Your great-great-.............great grandfather ate the apple. ;)

N7YA
08-26-2012, 05:51 PM

And just like our real lives, time compensated for commercial breaks.

KB3LAZ
08-27-2012, 04:11 AM
:P I would have replied but I fell asleep. xD Now to check FB to see if my parents got delayed or are back at home sleeping.

KB3LAZ
08-27-2012, 04:15 AM
:P I would have replied but I fell asleep. xD Now to check FB to see if my parents got delayed or are back at home sleeping.

Seems they are still here. Stuck in Madrid because all flights to Miami have been canceled because of tropical storms.