PDA

View Full Version : First man to walk on the moon, dies at 82

N1LAF
08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Fox news reports that Neil Armstrong has died at the age of 82

KG4NEL
08-25-2012, 02:29 PM
I was going to say, "I don't believe it until Wikipedia says so" - but now it does :(

PA5COR
08-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Neil Armstrong passed away today age 82.
First man to set foot on the moon and all over the world people watched in awe.
R.I.P. Neil.

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink".

NY3V
08-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I wonder if he and his other Apollo 11 astronauts Michael Collins, and Edwin Buzz Alldrin really did see several alien UFOs on the moon when they landed.

KK4AMI
08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I met him in Troy, Ohio a long, long time ago. What I liked about him was the fact that despite being the first man on the moon and a fighter pilot, he was proud of the fact that he was an engineer, and wore a pocket protector.

WØTKX
08-25-2012, 04:47 PM
It's easy to wink at the moon when you are tearing up. Sigh. :cry:

NQ6U
08-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Like millions of others, I watched that first step live on TV and have never forgotten it. RIP, Neil.

N2CHX
08-25-2012, 05:18 PM
It's easy to wink at the moon when you are tearing up. Sigh. :cry:

Huh?

kf0rt
08-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Like millions of others, I watched that first step live on TV and have never forgotten it. RIP, Neil.

Ditto here. Ya done good, Neil -- thanks for letting US ride along. Rest in peace.

WØTKX
08-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Huh?

Eye moisture. Tears. I liked Neil a lot.

kb2vxa
08-25-2012, 05:25 PM
One small step for Man... uh...uh...
CUT! Take two.
<clap>
Action!
One small step... wa wa wa WWWAAAaaa... <thud>
CUT! Take three.
<clap>
Action!
Uh, can we take a break?
Mmmm... OK, tale five.
I thought it was three.
Alright, take three and two for lunch. <sigh>
Collins is supposed to make good radios but I have a Buzz in my headset.
Look, grab some lunch and we'll fix it later. Now where's my cooler? I need a beer..................

Dust and ash forever, yeah
Though I know we mus be parted
As sure as stars are in the sky
I'm gonna see when it comes to glory
And I'll see you, I'll see you on the other side...

I was down, but now I'm flying
Straight across the great divide
I know you're crying, but I'll stop you crying
When I see you, I see you on the other side
Yes. I'll see you. See you on the othe side
I'm gonna see you. See you on the other side
God knows I'll see you, see you on the other side, yeah

A bit long but as good an epitaph I can think of. See ya Neil, see ya on the other side.

N2CHX
08-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Eye moisture. Tears. I liked Neil a lot.

Ah, now I understand. The Apollo missions were well before my time.

WØTKX
08-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I saw all of 'em on TV, even John Glenn.

N2CHX
08-25-2012, 07:01 PM

I think the first space-related thing I recall is of Challenger blowing up. I was fifteen. Saw that on live TV. I think Mr. Scrooge-- I mean Dad, had actually bought a color TV by then too ;)

kf0rt
08-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I think the first space-related thing I recall is of Challenger blowing up. I was fifteen. Saw that on live TV. I think Mr. Scrooge-- I mean Dad, had actually bought a color TV by then too ;)

Get off'n my lawn, young'un! ;)

I think we all remember the big space events. It was HUGE in the 60's and 70's. Not so much with the Shuttle stuff, but in '69, the whole world was glued to the news. I think the Shuttle missions made it "routine" and less interesting for most.

I once got into an argument with my boss on Apollo 11. He swore his Dad got him out of bed in the middle of the night to watch the landing. I swore it was in the afternoon (Denver Real Time). Was 13 at the time.

Challenger? Wife was in the hospital recovering from a cat scratch that turned toxic. First I knew of it was the crowd gathered in front of the TV in the hospital lounge when leaving after a visit.

Columbia? Heard about that on the car radio driving into work.

Amazing what we remember (and what we don't)...

WØTKX
08-25-2012, 09:03 PM
I just took a long walk during the sunset at work. Damn right I winked at the moon.

XE1/N5AL
08-26-2012, 03:51 AM
I was 10 years old when the first moon landing took place. I remember that it was just before 10 P.M. CDT when Armstrong took his first step on the moon.

KB3LAZ
08-26-2012, 04:04 AM

That was about a year and a half before my time.

N2NH
08-26-2012, 06:48 AM

Same here. It was different in the 60s. Most things were. The novelty of space flight didn't begin to wear off until Skylab.

I remember watching nearly every flight. In fact the world was never more connected (including the Internet) as it was when the Apollo 13 explosion nearly killed its crew. Globally every person was riveted to their radio or TV for the 4 days it took for the flight to conclude. Talk about the Right Stuff, these guys had it.

Bon Voyage and Godspeed Neil.

X-Rated
08-26-2012, 12:04 PM
http://gothamist.com/2012/08/25/neil_armstrong_died_not_neil_young.php

I thought it was Lance Armstrong.

As far as we know, Neil Young is alive and well, and Lance Armstrong (the aforementioned biker) is still banned from cycling. Neil Armstrong also followed in the footsteps of Arcade Fire and Bon Iver, as some Twitter users desperately tried to figure out who he was and why he was trending—and other tweeters got angry about it.

N7YA
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
I met him in Troy, Ohio a long, long time ago. What I liked about him was the fact that despite being the first man on the moon and a fighter pilot, he was proud of the fact that he was an engineer, and wore a pocket protector.

To me, thats a true mark of a good, well centered man. He was proud of something that many have accomplished before, but it didnt matter, he was proud of it. He walked on the moon, yet was humble. I absolutely respect that!

Heres one thing, if nothing else, that stands out to me with those original astronauts. They were driven, motivated and focused individuals with varying views and opinions. Complete professionals committed to doing the job perfectly and without visible fear. Yet, once they finally made the cut and reached the moon, there they were...in complete silence and so far from home with no hope of rescue. Those quiet moments changed most of them in deep ways. To hear them speak about their inner thoughts upon returning home is like hearing a zen enlightened person speaking after a pilgrimage.

This stood out to me the most. They realized just how fragile and dependent on one another we really are. They found true peace and some answers they didnt know they were looking for. While i will always totally respect them for their accomplishments, so few of us earthbound beings find such inner peace. Thats what i truly respect.

K7SGJ
08-26-2012, 07:25 PM
To me, thats a true mark of a good, well centered man. He was proud of something that many have accomplished before, but it didnt matter, he was proud of it. He walked on the moon, yet was humble. I absolutely respect that!

Heres one thing, if nothing else, that stands out to me with those original astronauts. They were driven, motivated and focused individuals with varying views and opinions. Complete professionals committed to doing the job perfectly and without visible fear. Yet, once they finally made the cut and reached the moon, there they were...in complete silence and so far from home with no hope of rescue. Those quiet moments changed most of them in deep ways. To hear them speak about their inner thoughts upon returning home is like hearing a zen enlightened person speaking after a pilgrimage.

This stood out to me the most. They realized just how fragile and dependent on one another we really are. They found true peace and some answers they didnt know they were looking for. While i will always totally respect them for their accomplishments, so few of us earthbound beings find such inner peace. Thats what i truly respect.

Well said, and I wholeheartedly agree.

I never got tired of following space related events. From Telstar, to all the maned flights, to the ISS, to Curiosity on Mars, and everything in between. I remember going to school late the day John Glenn circled the earth. I also remember all the drama associated with Apollo 13. That was a real nail bitter. Even if for just a few days, the whole nation, and most of the world, put aside their petty bullshit differences, and focused on the men trying to get home; and the things the engineers came up with to keep them alive until they reached splash down was incredible. You talk about engineers, there was the real deal. I remember being in the news room when Challenger launched and exploded. You could cut the tension and the tears with a knife. And no one could cover space flight like Walter Cronkite, and to see how emotional he got when Armstrong took that first step on the Lunar surface. No acting there, just real, honest, no shit journalism from a man who was in love with the space program; and one I always respected and admired. At least now, somewhere, they are together, chatting like a couple of magpies.

RIP Neil, and you, too Walter. Thanks for the parts you both played in my life, even from afar. And yes, every time I look at the moon, I'll give it a wink, too.