PDA

View Full Version : Ford has a New Mustang in the Works.

N2NH
08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Scheduled to debut in 2014, here is a first look at the new Mustang which will drop it's 60's retro styling in favor of a modern look.:

According to The Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303815404577335980934741136.html), the next Mustang will adopt many of the styling cues found on the new Fusion in a bid to attract younger buyers. Those that have seen the 2015 Mustang say it looks nearly identical to the Evos (http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-evos-concept.html) concept and has a distinct Aston Martin (http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-buying/aston-martin/) flair to it. Although the Mustang is in line for a major overhaul, it will retain a few of its current design cues. Those in-the-know say the car new will keep its shark-nosed grille and round headlights.

It looks possessed to me.

STORY HERE. (http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-mustang-2015.html)

http://i50.tinypic.com/35hoai9.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/20atau1.jpg

More Pictures Here. (http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/ford-mustang-2015-picture-12.html)

NA4BH
08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
That looks nice. Did you see the concept Corvette? OMG

N2NH
08-24-2012, 07:33 PM
That looks nice. Did you see the concept Corvette? OMG

I gotta admit I haven't. Got any pics or links?? I'd love to have a look.

NA4BH
08-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Been trying to find the article, no luck. It's a "Damn I like that............. POS". Right up to the Camaro tail lights.

kf0rt
08-24-2012, 09:06 PM
My niece (daughter of a long-time Ford employee) just "unliked" that on Facebook. I don't get it...

KA9MOT
08-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Ford has tried unsuccessfully to "modernize" the Mustang. In 1974 the Mustang II was introduced and flopped, so in 1979 they gave us the Fox Body Mustang..... I loved it, and it was better then the Mustang II, but many disliked the shortened trunk area and the Hatchback on the GT. It grew on us and the Fox Bodied Mustang became the most popular. In 1994 the gave us the SN95 body style and it was well liked but the hard core guys preferred the Fox Body. In 2005 we got the current body style, and I think it is the most popular ever.

In 1989 Ford gave us the Ford Probe. Initially it was s'posed to replace the Mustang, but so many Mustang owners were unhappy with that idea they convinced Ford to replace something else with it... I can't remember what.

Ford biggest improvement to the Mustang was an independent rear suspension.....and that flopped. Too many Mustangs on the Dragstrip. It was too expensive to make it hook. Again, Ford listened to their enthusiasts. I'm betting the car pictured never sees the Mustang badging.

Can you tell I'm a Ford fan?

So, trivia question.... who can tell me about Ford's Hemi (It was a production engine and is available today in the aftermarket) they also built a SOHC FE block in 1964 for their factory race program... 400 of them... in street legal cars......700 HP...... 6 feet of timing chain, to each head.

KG4CGC
08-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Ford has tried unsuccessfully to "modernize" the Mustang. In 1974 the Mustang II was introduced and flopped, so in 1979 they gave us the Fox Body Mustang..... I loved it, and it was better then the Mustang II, but many disliked the shortened trunk area and the Hatchback on the GT. It grew on us and the Fox Bodied Mustang became the most popular. In 1994 the gave us the SN95 body style and it was well liked but the hard core guys preferred the Fox Body. In 2005 we got the current body style, and I think it is the most popular ever.

In 1989 Ford gave us the Ford Probe. Initially it was s'posed to replace the Mustang, but so many Mustang owners were unhappy with that idea they convinced Ford to replace something else with it... I can't remember what.

Ford biggest improvement to the Mustang was an independent rear suspension.....and that flopped. Too many Mustangs on the Dragstrip. It was too expensive to make it hook. Again, Ford listened to their enthusiasts. I'm betting the car pictured never sees the Mustang badging.

Can you tell I'm a Ford fan?

So, trivia question.... who can tell me about Ford's Hemi (It was a production engine and is available today in the aftermarket) they also built a SOHC FE block in 1964 for their factory race program... 400 of them... in street legal cars......700 HP...... 6 feet of timing chain, to each head.

Mustang2 ...BECAUSE IT WAS A PINTO YES I'M YELLING!

IMNSHO, Ford is getting away from the retro style way too soon. It says, style, power and fun. The new style is just too soon. It's too soon for the angry Mustang. Cars with a smile are doing well right now.

NA4BH
08-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Mustang 2 ..... Boredom 0

Am I wrong?

N2NH
08-25-2012, 12:46 AM
My niece (daughter of a long-time Ford employee) just "unliked" that on Facebook. I don't get it...

It looks demonic. Like a Aston Martin that's owned by the Deebil. Ask her I'll bet that's it. The 70s mini 'stangs were womens cars. This is more like something Ozzie Osborne would drive.

KG4CGC
08-25-2012, 12:49 AM
owned by the Deebil
62 or 63 Caddy.

NA4BH
08-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Elvis is the Deebil? I knew it.

kf0rt
08-25-2012, 06:23 AM
It looks demonic. Like a Aston Martin that's owned by the Deebil. Ask her I'll bet that's it. The 70s mini 'stangs were womens cars. This is more like something Ozzie Osborne would drive.

She says: Um, it doesn't look like a mustang at all! :)

KG4CGC
08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks like what the Ford Probe would have become if the Ford Probe wasn't such a POS.
Proboscis.

NQ6U
08-25-2012, 11:54 AM
My sister had a Ford Proboscis. Except for the fact that it was front wheel drive (torque steer is a bad thing in an ostensibly sporty car) it wasn't a bad unit until stuff started falling off of it after about ten years.

W5GA
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
So, trivia question.... who can tell me about Ford's Hemi (It was a production engine and is available today in the aftermarket)
The Boss 429 wasn't a true hemi.

WØTKX
08-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Ford Probe was a Fazda. AKA MX6.

When folks were messing with Mustang II's, I was an Opel freak.

N2NH
08-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Ford Probe was a Fazda. AKA MX6.

When folks were messing with Mustang II's, I was an Opel freak.

Interesting. I liked Opels right out of High School. Preferred the Triumph Spitfire, but the Opel Manta was just as nice. Didn't know anyone remembered them.

PA5COR
08-26-2012, 07:49 AM
I've been driving Opel Manta's here even got my drivers license in one when they first came out.
Opel GT was the 2 seater version that was the "poor man's" of the Corvette here.
Tinkered with the engines to make them more powerfull, but they were nice cars to drive, though the 8 cylinder sound of the Corvette was a very nice bonus if you had one.

Just had a few 8 cylinder US cars, till the fule here became onubtanium for the prices hiked so far up, they were not to be kept on the road for a kings salary.

The 4 bangers here just had a better fuel economy, even could easily be turned to LPG which was a lot cheaper as gas.
Then went to diesels, Turbo intercoolers, nowadays the new engines have lots of torque and power for relative small engines.

WØTKX
08-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Manta "A". Poor man's Beemer fastback. It was an obsession of mine for years.
Throw away the crap carb, bolt a Weber on and an Ansa header/exhaust.

N2NH
08-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I've been driving Opel Manta's here even got my drivers license in one when they first came out.
Opel GT was the 2 seater version that was the "poor man's" of the Corvette here.
Tinkered with the engines to make them more powerfull, but they were nice cars to drive, though the 8 cylinder sound of the Corvette was a very nice bonus if you had one.

Just had a few 8 cylinder US cars, till the fule here became onubtanium for the prices hiked so far up, they were not to be kept on the road for a kings salary.

The 4 bangers here just had a better fuel economy, even could easily be turned to LPG which was a lot cheaper as gas.
Then went to diesels, Turbo intercoolers, nowadays the new engines have lots of torque and power for relative small engines.

Manta "A". Poor man's Beemer fastback. It was an obsession of mine for years.
Throw away the crap carb, bolt a Weber on and an Ansa header/exhaust.

I wish they still had cars like the Manta. Affordable, fast and different. Few today is even two of those criteria. And used cars are exorbitant. I see the same cars on the Used Car lots month after month.

KG4CGC
08-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Been looking at used VW Beetles. Those in the 72 to 73 year ranges are averaging $3500. Beat up.

KB3LAZ
08-27-2012, 11:32 AM
I wont say it is ugly, but...its ugly. Okay, I said it. It looks like an Italian car. I like Italian clothing but not cars. It is kind of like modern art, I guess I just dont understand.

N2NH
08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Been looking at used VW Beetles. Those in the 72 to 73 year ranges are averaging $3500. Beat up.

I was looking at Super Beetles. They were nearly a different car than the standard Beetle, sort of like a Caprice and an Impala. The Beetle did have problems with crosswinds on highways. I even saw one flip when the winds picked up. JC Whitney claimed to have an aftermarket add-on that would prevent that, but I never knew if it worked. If you didn't like the VW's styling, there were aftermarket kits that you could use to jazz it up or even completely change it's looks.

The air-cooled engine was genius. It was pretty simple and fairly easy to work on. I had a friend who was swapping out VW parts for Porsche parts. He claimed that they were almost completely interchangeable. He also swore that it was faster afterwards.

Top Gear did a show where they crossed an African desert in 3 cars with an old third world Beetle as the back-up car. The desert had never been crossed by car before. Even the president of the country flew in by helicopter to see them. Interestingly the only car of the 4 to make the trip across without any failures was the Beetle.

Too bad they're not made anymore. Stick a beefed up version of the old engine in the new Beetle and I'd find a way to buy one.

KG4CGC
08-27-2012, 02:30 PM
I was looking at Super Beetles. They were nearly a different car than the standard Beetle, sort of like a Caprice and an Impala. The Beetle did have problems with crosswinds on highways. I even saw one flip when the winds picked up. JC Whitney claimed to have an aftermarket add-on that would prevent that, but I never knew if it worked. If you didn't like the VW's styling, there were aftermarket kits that you could use to jazz it up or even completely change it's looks.

The air-cooled engine was genius. It was pretty simple and fairly easy to work on. I had a friend who was swapping out VW parts for Porsche parts. He claimed that they were almost completely interchangeable. He also swore that it was faster afterwards.

Top Gear did a show where they crossed an African desert in 3 cars with an old third world Beetle as the back-up car. The desert had never been crossed by car before. Even the president of the country flew in by helicopter to see them. Interestingly the only car of the 4 to make the trip across without any failures was the Beetle.

Too bad they're not made anymore. Stick a beefed up version of the old engine in the new Beetle and I'd find a way to buy one.

Yes. Model 313, the Super Beetle is the one I'm looking for. McPherson strut front suspension. Rode like rails and stuck like glue. With proper engine mods and weight distribution it would be a Porsche killer if not for aerodynamics. That is, using parts from a Porsche!

KG4NEL
08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Proper weight distribution? Part of the rear-engined air cooled allure is that the rear wants to trade places with the front :twisted:

I like the VW-ness of the 912, but those pre-galvanized bodies are scarce anywhere but CA, it seems. '80s 911s are a lot easier to find, but also $15K :(

Maybe in a few years...

KG4NEL
08-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I wont say it is ugly, but...its ugly. Okay, I said it. It looks like an Italian car. I like Italian clothing but not cars. It is kind of like modern art, I guess I just dont understand.

A friend of mine in college used to have a rusty Alfa GTV-6 he'd AutoX.

http://classiccarmagazine.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Alfa-Romeo-GTV6-fq-670x446.jpg

OK, I understand it has nearly perfect weight distribution and a pretty cool sounding V6, but it just looks so...'80s :(

N2NH
08-28-2012, 12:20 AM
If it wasn't so hard to get parts for, I'd really like to buy a Javelin or AMX:

http://i50.tinypic.com/343q92e.jpg

KG4CGC
08-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Proper weight distribution? Part of the rear-engined air cooled allure is that the rear wants to trade places with the front :twisted:

I like the VW-ness of the 912, but those pre-galvanized bodies are scarce anywhere but CA, it seems. '80s 911s are a lot easier to find, but also $15K :(

Maybe in a few years...
Yes, weight distribution. Best mod of all, move the battery from under the back seat to just behind the center of the front wheels in the front trunk.

N2NH
08-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Yes, weight distribution. Best mod of all, move the battery from under the back seat to just behind the center of the front wheels in the front trunk.

What about the Karmann Ghia?

http://i49.tinypic.com/v67k37.jpg

AND the VW Thing:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2592563215_46c05182a9.jpg

KG4CGC
08-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Ghia's a nice street cruiser. Nice sleeper set up.
Thing, old school dune buggy. No brainer.
Thought I wanted a Ghia back in the day but everyone I met that drove one or had one for sale was a total douche if that makes any sense.

N2NH
08-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Ghia's a nice street cruiser. Nice sleeper set up.
Thing, old school dune buggy. No brainer.
Thought I wanted a Ghia back in the day but everyone I met that drove one or had one for sale was a total douche if that makes any sense.

Probably just co-incidence. The Thing looks like it's begging to have a 10 Meter whip or Texas Bug-catcher on the bumper. Maybe a 70cm antenna on the trunk. Perfect platform for a whacker mobile. Just paint it in camouflage.

While on the old Air-Cooled engined VW's, how about the VW Squareback and the VW Micro-bus?

KG4CGC
08-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Things needed front end work. Too light and would catch wind. Buses always seemed like they were top heavy.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/726422_f520.jpg

Amazonas - The only reason this steaming pile of compost didn't make it any higher on the list is that I've never actually seen one in the stinking flesh, thus I could have reason to believe that it exists only as a Photoshopped fantasy. Fantasy or not, whatever Brazilian engineer dreamed it up had to have a very active imagination as taking a VW Beetle engine, shoehorning it into the biggest frame this side of a Boss Hoss and then sparing no expense on fiberglass panels proves that they probably suffered sunstroke on Ipanema Beach!

N2NH
08-28-2012, 03:19 AM
Things needed front end work. Too light and would catch wind. Buses always seemed like they were top heavy.

That's pretty inventive. It doesn't look like it will handle well though...

I actually saw one of the Porsche 917-VW Beetle kit cars on the street once. It was street-legal too.

You can still get kit-cars for the racers of that era. In my opinion, the Lola T-70 was the most beautiful of the bunch.

http://i46.tinypic.com/w1tt01.jpg

kf0rt
08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
If it wasn't so hard to get parts for, I'd really like to buy a Javelin or AMX:

http://i50.tinypic.com/343q92e.jpg

Most fun car I ever drove. HS pal had a '69 AMX with a 390 that we took on a few road trips. Two-seater. I swear the ignition key said Briggs & Stratton. High power and low weight. That thing was FAST.

N2NH
08-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Most fun car I ever drove. HS pal had a '69 AMX with a 390 that we took on a few road trips. Two-seater. I swear the ignition key said Briggs & Stratton. High power and low weight. That thing was FAST.

http://www.picturearchive.co.za/Images/large_1970%2BJavelin%2BAMX%2BTrans%2BAm%2Bright%2B side.jpg

They actually won the Trans-Am championship a couple of years. I remember because I used to follow Mark Donahue as a driver and he was on the team.

KG4NEL
08-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Not usually a fan of muscle cars, but I like that.

kf0rt
08-29-2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.picturearchive.co.za/Images/large_1970%2BJavelin%2BAMX%2BTrans%2BAm%2Bright%2B side.jpg

They actually won the Trans-Am championship a couple of years. I remember because I used to follow Mark Donahue as a driver and he was on the team.

Don't follow racing much, but I recall the Javelin/AMX taking top honors in a Baja California race back then. Was that the Trans-Am? I recall driving my buddy's way out east on I-70 -- about 10 minutes worth at 120MPH on one very early summer morning in 1974. Kind of reckless, but damn fun. Only thing that came close was my '88 Pulsar (no real comparison, but fun it it's own right) -- an afternoon in the AZ desert at 100+ with the t-tops off. The Pulsar actually handled better than the AMX, but with a little DOHC 4-banger...?

w2amr
08-30-2012, 05:01 AM
they also built a SOHC FE block in 1964 for their factory race program... 400 of them... in street legal cars......700 HP...... 6 feet of timing chain, to each head.This is the SOHC car I remember. Bad to the bone.

N2NH
08-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Yep, loved the AMC Javelin/AMX (the AMX was a Javelin with no back seat). Here are two others that shouldn't be forgotten either...

The Original Camaro in 1967
and the (I believe) original Firebird Trans Am minus bird on hood, from 1969

N2NH
08-30-2012, 07:11 AM
This is the SOHC car I remember. Bad to the bone.

I don't remember that one, but I do remember this one. First time I drove, I lost it on Bedford Park Blvd. I was in a 71 Vega and the hill was steep. I tried to turn under the Elevated Tracks (which had just enough room for two cars to pass in each direction). Problem was I was going nearly 30. Managed to stop the car and made the turn with an inch to spare. I was so close I could nearly read the decals on the windows. Any landing you can walk away from is a good one and same with this close call...

http://i48.tinypic.com/258z28o.jpg