PDA

View Full Version : You can get accurate time at ...WHERE?

X-Rated
08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
I saw this post on my Yahoo Groups...

FYI,

I tuned into WWV this evening (August 19, 2012 UTC), and was surprised to hear
the station making some incorrect audio time announcements.

Specifically,

23:20 UTC was announced as 23:28 with no audio tone
23:23 UTC was announced as 23:29 with an audio tone
23:25 UTC was announced as 23:29 with an audio tone
23:26 UTC was announced as 23:29 with an audio tone
23:27 UTC was announced as 23:29 with an audio tone
23:28 UTC was announced as 23:28 with an audio tone
23:29 UTC was announced as 23:29 but was followed by station ID
23:30 UTC was announced as 23:30 with an audio tone (no ID)
23:32 UTC was announced as 23:35 with an audio tone
23:44 UTC was announced as 23:49 with no audio tone
23:57 UTC was announced as 23:59 with no audio tone
23:58 UTC was announced as 23:59 with no audio tone

I did not take notice as to whether the audio tones being transmitted were the
correct ones for the particular minute, but some of the silent periods and the
timing of the station ID appeared to be out of character.

I notified NIST of these unusual observations.

73, de John, KD2BD

I am glad, for one, that the one person listening to WWV called them to make a report about their time being incorrect.

W5GA
08-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Man, you gotta be really dedicated to listen to WWV for over a half hour.

NQ6U
08-20-2012, 07:50 PM

I'm not sure "dedicated" is the word I'd choose, Doug.

KJ3N
08-20-2012, 08:21 PM

No, you don't. You just have to be a total loser with no social skills, or life. :roll:

:lame:

N8YX
08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
It could also be that Jerry was using WWV to align a receiver and left the gear on frequency for a while.

X-Rated
08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CpsPgXyIm8

WØTKX
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltm2yo4q9O1qh8gi9o1_1280.jpg

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

kb2vxa
08-20-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16HD9b5eByw

n2ize
08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
No, you don't. You just have to be a total loser with no social skills, or life. :roll:

:lame:
I wouldn't be caught dead listening to WWV. I am too cool and I am too busy with hot hippie chicks wine, weed, women and song. WWV is for lifeless nerds, not for cool happenin guys like me who are living in the now.

X-Rated
08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't be caught dead listening to WWV. I am too cool and I am too busy with hot hippie chicks wine, weed, women and song. WWV is for lifeless nerds, not for cool happenin guys like me who are living in the now.

What an idiotic statement. Chicks dig WWV.

n2ize
08-21-2012, 02:06 AM

That makes sense now that you mention it. Guys dig WWVH.

N2CHX
08-21-2012, 06:24 AM

I'm going to start a lesbian punk band and call it WWV.

N7YA
08-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Dont do any gigs in Russia!

X-Rated
08-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Rhymes with Wet Wild Volvo.

kf0rt
08-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Rhymes with Wet Wild Volvo.

Drummer's name is Mulva?

W4GPL
08-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Dont do any gigs in Russia!You know, the pussy ass bitches on NBC News won't call them 'The Pussy Riot', only 'The Riot'..

When the accurate quote is what it is, you say it.. you don't censor journalism.

No better than when the news says 'Mr. XYZ said the n-word'.. just fucking say the word, god dammit.

n2ize
08-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Dont do any gigs in Russia!
Well, if they actually play music and stay out of Russian Orthodox churches I think they may do quite well in the USSR.

kf0rt
08-21-2012, 07:54 AM
You know, the pussy ass bitches on NBC News won't call them 'The Pussy Riot', only 'The Riot'..

When the accurate quote is what it is, you say it.. you don't censor journalism.

No better than when the news says 'Mr. XYZ said the n-word'.. just fucking say the word, god dammit.

NPR has no such problem. The little kid in me cracks up when I hear one of those stories on the BBC World Service.

N7YA
08-21-2012, 08:15 AM
You know, the pussy ass bitches on NBC News won't call them 'The Pussy Riot', only 'The Riot'..

Its the same here as it is there, just different accents.

KG4NEL
08-21-2012, 03:52 PM

I foresee the drummer getting really bored with that gig.

WØTKX
08-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Drummer? Bah! Drum Machine.

"101 Ways (the things a girlwill do to keep her Volvo)" was a funny little movie. :yes:

kb2vxa
08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
"I'm going to start a lesbian punk band and call it WWV."

Why not a Chinese lesbian punk band and call it CHU? Eh maybe not, chu is Chinese for stinky. Speaking of Pussy Riot, they sure lived up to their name.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/19/arrests-breasts-chainsaws-punk-world-backs-pussy-riot/

kf0rt
08-21-2012, 09:56 PM
303-499-7111

Back to the OP, that's the phone number for WWV's time service. Good for setting clocks, but it's often busy when clocks need setting. Call any time and you'll get the audio feed from WWV. No operators will answer.

I've used it for decades any time I need to test a telephone. Local call here (not that it matters these days). NIST says that number receives about 2,000 calls a day.

n2ize
08-22-2012, 07:16 AM
You can also get pretty accurate time these days across the Internet via NTP. Very rare I need to tune into WWV these days to get an accurate time check. Most of the time I just look at any computer attached to my network and its accurate to within a second or less.

Still WWV does have its uses.

W1GUH
08-22-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CpsPgXyIm8

Thanks! LOVE when that one pops up occasionally. Always great for a laugh.

As, c'mon you guys and gals....we're madly in LOVE with WWV, might as well admit it.

W1GUH
08-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Volvos? Vulvas? Good excuse as any to share some of my favorite poetry....

Those ancient Sumerian gods and goddesses were a randy bunch, the were...

The Song of Inanna and Dumuzi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Arcehedron/sumerian_quotes)

W1GUH
08-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Used to regularly call WWV from the platform for the time to check Metro-North's timekeeping. Always exactly on.

N2NH
08-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Every one of us running Windows has WWV at our fingertips. Well, NIST in any case. Right click with the mouse on the time on the lower right. Click on adjust the time and date, then in the menu, click on the tab at the top of the box to "Internet Time." Mine says that the computer is set to automatically synchronize with NIST.GOV. To override this, click on change settings and there will be a box that says "update now". Next to it there are choices where you can update at. One is MS Windows, the others (at least in my case) are time.nist.gov, time-nw.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov and time-b.nist.gov. No different than using WWV to set a clock except that it is probably slightly more accurate.

I set my clock as an analog clock (it is digital just below the analog clock) with a second hand so that I know when the minute changes. Hovering on the time will give you the time in digital format. Left clicking on the time will give you the clock whenever you need it.

I also have a clock set for UTC.

n2ize
08-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Every one of us running Windows has WWV at our fingertips. Well, NIST in any case. Right click with the mouse on the time on the lower right. Click on adjust the time and date, then in the menu, click on the tab at the top of the box to "Internet Time." Mine says that the computer is set to automatically synchronize with NIST.GOV. To override this, click on change settings and there will be a box that says "update now". Next to it there are choices where you can update at. One is MS Windows, the others (at least in my case) are time.nist.gov, time-nw.nist.gov, time-a.nist.gov and time-b.nist.gov. No different than using WWV to set a clock except that it is probably slightly more accurate.

I set my clock as an analog clock (it is digital just below the analog clock) with a second hand so that I know when the minute changes. Hovering on the time will give you the time in digital format. Left clicking on the time will give you the clock whenever you need it.

I also have a clock set for UTC.

Been kicking round on unix systems for a long time. On windows it may not be more accurate than WWV for one or more reasons., Network latency issues and on windows the time protocol wasn't NTP compliant and only designed to give accuracy within > 1 second. However recent windows versions may have addressed this.

kb2vxa
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
http://tf.nist.gov/service/pdf/nts.pdf

KG4NEL
08-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Do they have a Y2K patch for that? :mrgreen::snicker:

N2NH
08-23-2012, 10:33 PM
http://tf.nist.gov/service/pdf/nts.pdf

Thanks Warren. Downloaded the program here. (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,23895-order,4/download.html)

N2NH
08-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Been kicking round on unix systems for a long time. On windows it may not be more accurate than WWV for one or more reasons., Network latency issues and on windows the time protocol wasn't NTP compliant and only designed to give accuracy within > 1 second. However recent windows versions may have addressed this.

Probably true. I haven't really compared it to WWV but it is pretty accurate with WINS.

kb2vxa
08-24-2012, 08:45 PM
"Thanks Warren. Downloaded the program here."

You're welcome. What I didn't say (for you other guys) is it gives you a far greater choice of servers than what's in Winders and a guide to the one that best suits you. It also gives a selectable update interval as as short as one hour for clocks run amok. Oh yeah, there are versions available for "other computers" too.