PDA

View Full Version : RF ID in your credit card.

KA9MOT
08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I can see the convenience of this new technology, but the potential for tampering it turns out is very real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAFhTjsQHw&feature=colike

X-Rated
08-20-2012, 04:20 PM
...but the potential for tampering it turns out is very real.

Depends on who is wanting to tamper with me.

wa6mhz
08-20-2012, 05:12 PM
I see my new VISA SLATE has one. SO I wrapped it in aluminum foil. I just had a fraud charge on it. Someone charged $100 worth of postage at the Post office on my account. Fortunately, I can dispute it as fraud. Then, I caught my WIFE giving out her Debit card number and security code to some sleazy motel in AZ for my son while he was there. (to pay for his room). I told her that was enough info for them to CLEAN OUT HER BANK ACCOUNT!!!! I immediately called up the Card company and had it canceled. Hopefully that was fast enough. Alotta RAT BASTARDS out there trying to rip you off. And what pisses me off most is that the Credit card companies don't seem to care. They just let them run wild and charge up all they want, as it is the Retailers who eat the loss. I think they should investigate these fraud cases.

One time some Rat Bastards robbed my number and made $5000 in Concert ticket purchases on it. Now, WHY didn't they just check WHO got the tickets???? It would be an easy bust, but they don't seem to care! I want these rotten bastards in JAIL for these crimes!!! But no one cares!

W3WN
08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Pat,

I'm not going to rehash the debit card issue, I think you got enough on that over yonder.

Now that said... you're absolutely right. The rat bastards running the credit card companies don't care.

You know who pays for stolen merchandise? Not the credit card companies. The merchants. They just reverse the charges.

I had that happen when I worked at Westech. (Circa 1983) Someone called in to order a particular Yaesu rig, the delivery address just didn't seem right. And he gave what appeared to be a new call, so it was JUST plausible.

At the time, there was no QRZ.COM, no search engines, no nothing. No internet for that matter anywhere close to what we know today. (No caller ID or cell phones either.)

I called the credit card company myself, even though the electronic reader "approved" the charge. Actually got through to a human being & spoke with them. She confirmed that the card was not stolen, that the charge was legit. So I shipped the radio.

2 days later... charge reversed. Stolen credit card.

And never mind the fine print, never mind that I double-checked, never mind that the YL I talked to confirmed that she'd personally approved the charge and took full responsibility. Charge reveresed, tough sh!t. Store was out ~$800, between the rig, accessories, and shipping.

The best part? A few hours after the charge was reversed, the miscreant calls back and tries to order some more stuff with the same credit card.

The store never recovered from that hit.

kb2vxa
08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Did you know your cards can be scanned by a passerby on the street with works in a briefcase, backpack, etc.? Have you considered a metal credit card holder... a Faraday cage?

N2NH
08-21-2012, 03:41 AM
Did you know your cards can be scanned by a passerby on the street with works in a briefcase, backpack, etc.? Have you considered a metal credit card holder... a Faraday cage?

I believe I brought this up a couple of years ago when it was being proposed and was told it was a conspiracy theory. A search will bring it up.

PA5COR
08-21-2012, 06:43 AM
RF chipped cards were scammed here used for access and payment for public transport.
Our new I.D cards and passports hold an RF chip as well, i keep them in a former metal business card holder.
These chips on the I.D. card store the details of the card including the digitalized fingerprints etc, so i keep them rather safe.
Or put these cards for 2 seconds in the microwave and flash the chip......;)

N7YA
08-21-2012, 07:42 AM
IOne time some Rat Bastards robbed my number and made $5000 in Concert ticket purchases on it. Now, WHY didn't they just check WHO got the tickets???? It would be an easy bust, but they don't seem to care! I want these rotten bastards in JAIL for these crimes!!! But no one cares!

So they got ONE Rolling Stones balcony seat...jokes on them.

kf0rt
08-21-2012, 07:42 AM
So they got ONE Rolling Stones balcony seat...jokes on them.

HA! Yeah, that's about right.

wa6mhz
08-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Why don't they send a Policeman over to the delivery address for the stolen loot?

W3WN
08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Why don't they send a Policeman over to the delivery address for the stolen loot?What?

How can you think such a thing?

That would make SENSE!

WØTKX
08-21-2012, 11:21 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-RFID-Blocking-Credit-Black/dp/B001II6KGG

kb2vxa
08-21-2012, 11:59 PM
That case is exactly what I was talking about. I didn't link to any sites Google turned up because you can do that yourself... and you did. (;->)

"I believe I brought this up a couple of years ago when it was being proposed and was told it was a conspiracy theory."
That's because those who don't wear tin foil hats refused to believe such a far fetched notion. Then I saw it demonstrated and when I saw the contents of the briefcase explained I became a Monkee. You know... I'm a believer. Just to be on the safe side stick your cards in your tin foil hat for safe keeping when you go out.

koØm
08-22-2012, 09:13 PM
First off, have you seen those metal Credit Card holders? they are kinda large and very hard; if, you have lower back problems, sitting on one of the things will send you to the Chiropractor.

There are people, mainly woman who are called "Boosters" and, they have "Booster Bags and Coats". These are professional shoplifters.

They will remove the inner lining of the coat (typically calf-length leather) and, sew heavy gauge Aluminum foil into the coat and, then sew the original lining back into the coat. Same way with the large purses, rip the lining out insulate the inside with metal foil and sew the old lining back in.

They use this trick to defeat the anti-thief devices placed at the doors.

Aluminum foil inside you normal wallet should be OK I think.

KC9ECI
08-22-2012, 10:15 PM
In any event, this will make my life easier when I'm in the UK. Those people are big on the chip in a card and sometimes cashiers get a bit befuddled when I had them a card with not chip.

NQ6U
08-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Wallets woven of very fine stainless steel threads (http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=&formfield1234567892=&formfield1234567894=&term=+%0994138&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0) work. They are thinner than a leather wallet and feel almost like silk. Pricey, but perhaps worth it if your worried about RFID security.

wa6mhz
08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I use Aluminum Tape here at work to provide RF Shielding for prototypes, and it is much stiffer than aluminum foil. I don't take off the backing, just cut a piece and wrap the card in it. that provides 2 layers of protection and is easily removed without damage to the foil. I feel pretty safe. This tape is sold at Home Depot for Heating ducts.

KK4AMI
08-23-2012, 12:44 PM
They were talking about RFID tags in money, drivers licenses, passports and credit cards. My wife has an aluminum credit card holder I bought for our aluminum anniversary. I bought one later as a wallet. If it was in money, could you imagine a mugger with an RFID reader going around counting the bills in your pocket?

N7YA
08-23-2012, 05:29 PM
You mean to tell me people still carry money around?

KA9MOT
08-24-2012, 12:17 PM
You mean to tell me people still carry money around?

Only when I have some!

N7YA
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
You sometimes have some?? Damn.

WØTKX
08-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I work with RFID (not credit card) technology at work. FWIW, it's very easy to read quickly, and at a distance.

But, as everybody states clearly, it's also pretty easy to "foil". ;)