PDA

View Full Version : Hams Who Pass Their Tech Exam Get News Story and Pix in Paper.

N2NH
08-18-2012, 04:09 PM
And online too. From the Brownwood Bulletin in Texas:

Don Fox (l) and Don Horton (r) sat for and passed the Technician Class Amateur Radio License Exam on Saturday, August 11, at the test session at the Red Cross building in Brownwood. They will be allowed to operate transceivers on the amateur radio bands once they receive their callsigns from the Federal Communications Commission.

And yes, their pictures made the paper too.

:-DSomething to think about when the hobby seems irrelevant.

New Hams! Wish they did this here too. (http://www.brownwoodtx.com/news/community/image_8475d4a2-e570-11e1-9d24-0019bb2963f4.html)

kds
08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
This is a good idea. Some newspapers will publish anything you send them. The very first newspaper I worked at was a county-wide weekly and we would literally post anything. And by anything I mean we even re-published the local nursing home's newsletters in the newspaper.

If I lived in a city with a small newspaper, I would definitely be sending them pictures and releases from VE sessions.

NQ6U
08-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Hell, if they get their pictures in the paper for just for getting a Technician license, imagine what happens when a local ham upgrades to Extra class.

K7SGJ
08-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Hell, if they get their pictures in the paper for just for getting a Technician license, imagine what happens when a local ham upgrades to Extra class.

Yeah, if they can pass the code part.

Oh......wait.........never mind.

N2NH
08-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Hookers jumping out of a cake

kb2vxa
08-18-2012, 11:16 PM
I ham, therefore I am... a ham. Hold the green eggs, I'm a ham I am I am.

N7YA
08-19-2012, 08:10 AM

They become mayor!

ki4itv
08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Get off my courthouse lawn!

n2ize
08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
No thanks. I don;t want my pix in the paper. The fewer people that know I have a ham license the better. When people ask me if I operate ham radio I deny it.

kds
08-21-2012, 02:53 PM
No thanks. I don;t want my pix in the paper. The fewer people that know I have a ham license the better. When people ask me if I operate ham radio I deny it.

I can understand that. I don't usually outright admit it. If they ask me why I have radios and antennas, I'll tell them. Over the past year I have gotten over not admitting to it. Not sure why I can't be totally forthright about it, perhaps it's because I'm a good-looking young guy and the public's impression/stereotype says it should be the opposite.

WØTKX
08-21-2012, 02:59 PM
I just say I'm into the short wave radio hobby, because electric trains don't keep me interested...

NQ6U
08-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I tell people I'm a ham just to show that hams are not all morbidly obese old guys. Some of them are merely overweight middle-aged guys.

KG4NEL
08-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Hookers jumping out of a cake

I was robbed!

N7YA
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
I just say "um...yeah, im a ham radio opera....LOOK, A SQUIRREL!!"...then run the other way, screaming.

n2ize
10-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone who is/was a big fan of the "Twichlight Zone" knows that ham radio operators are all young physically fit tough guys who wear black leather jackets, ride motorcycles, and beat up on their neighbors when they complain about TVI. ;)

W2NAP
10-06-2012, 02:40 PM
I tell people I'm a ham just to show that hams are not all morbidly obese old guys. Some of them are merely overweight middle-aged guys.

some of us aint even overweight!

W2NAP
10-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Anyone who is/was a big fan of the "Twichlight Zone" knows that ham radio operators are all young physically fit tough guys who wear black leather jackets, ride motorcycles, and beat up on their neighbors when they complain about TVI. ;)

not into leather.. but i guess a motorcycle would fit me with my long hair and beard.

kb2crk
10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I admit it openly as I am so fucking tired of being asked "do you have a cb in that van?"
The answer is yes and 5 ham radios. why do people automatically think CB when My van has got 6 antennas on the roof?
It is always funny when I hit the siren on the 2 meter rig. Gotta love a Motorola..

WØTKX
10-06-2012, 03:26 PM
You are so hamsexy. :shifty:

N7YA
10-06-2012, 03:56 PM
No rig in the car, no vanity call license plate, no mesh trucker hat with iron-on call letters in big balloon font, no HT strapped to my side...no mention of ham radio even when people bring it up. I only nod when one of my friends brings it up to someone else because i know their give-a-shit meter just dropped through the floor with that amazing revelation about me. This is a hobby just for me and you guys.

kb2vxa
10-06-2012, 07:38 PM
"Anyone who is/was a big fan of the "Twichlight Zone" knows that ham radio operators are all young physically fit tough guys who wear black leather jackets, ride motorcycles, and beat up on their neighbors when they complain about TVI."

As I remember The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street the neighborhood ham jokes about using his radio to talk with monsters from outer space and immediately is suspected of being one of them. Even back in 1960 people knew what those strange beeping sounds coming from the basement are, just never admit that helical beam array is for talking to satellites or Monsters On Maple Street will become Nightmare On Elm Street as chaos spreads across the city. The moral of the story is that Morse code is a ham's greatest weapon, as shown in this quote: "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be found only in the minds of hams."