PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Museum Fund Raiser up Half a Mil!

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Hey all,

Perhaps you've heard, perhaps not, of the amazing fund raiser now in progress to save Tesla's Wardenclyffe Laboratory in Shoreham NY. Over half a million bucks raised in a few days, mostly small contributions it seems. The Tesla Center group is shooting for 850K to get matching funds from NY state to buy the property, a former Agfa film processing plant. It's the same place Paul W1GUH and Hamilton KD0FNR and I "activated" from its busted up guard shack last fall as W3T special ops. Here's the link: http://www.indiegogo.com/teslamuseum. There's perks like mugs and tshirts and more for higher rollers, but I like the idea of lotsa smallbucks and love to think of Nikola Tesla as the first ham.

K7SGJ
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Dupe

K7SGJ
08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
That really "sparks" my interest. I really hope they make it. Thanks for the post.

By the way, have a link for donations?

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Yep, http://www.indiegogo.com/teslamuseum (http://www.indiegogo.com/teslamuseum) forgot to bold in the copy. Yeah, so much revolting stuff going on and this was so electrifying, I couldn't resist. tnx!

NQ6U
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Yep, http://www.indiegogo.com/teslamuseum (http://www.indiegogo.com/teslamuseum) forgot to bold in the copy. Yeah, so much revolting stuff going on and this was so electrifying, I couldn't resist. tnx!

Lucky for you we have a high capacitance for puns, otherwise we might force you to shuffle off this mortal coil, Henry.

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Lucky for you we have a high capacitance for puns, otherwise we might force you to shuffle off this mortal coil, Henry.

Let's not get all hysteresisical! Nothing could induce me to take that turn for the worse, short of three in the capacity hat.

kb2vxa
08-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Uh oh, this is beginning to sound like one of several variations on a theme, not Haydn but The Sex Life Of An Electron. Things really started happening when Randall and Boot taught him to dance in a Rhumbatron (magnetron) the predecessor of the Orgasmatron.

You broke my heart
'Cause I couldn't dance
You didn't even want me around
And now I'm back, to let you know
I can really shake 'em down

Do you love me? (I can really move)
Do you love me? (I'm in the groove)
Ah do you love me? (Do you love me)
Now that I can dance (dance).....

And those are the Contours that made waveguides possible.

TESLA
08-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Very cool!

XE1/N5AL
08-17-2012, 07:33 PM
^^^Is that you speaking, or your Nikola Tesla avatar? :)

WØTKX
08-17-2012, 08:02 PM
While listening on my cosmic phone
I caught words from the Olympus blown.
A newcomer was shown around;
That much I could guess, aided by sound.

"There's Archimedes with his lever
Still busy on problems as ever.
Says: matter and force are transmutable
And wrong the laws you thought immutable."

"Below, on Earth, they work at full blast
And news are coming in thick and fast.
The latest tells of a cosmic gun.
To be pelted is very poor fun.
We are wary with so much at stake,
Those beggars are a pest—no mistake."

"Too bad, Sir Isaac, they dimmed your renown
And turned your great science upside down.
Now a long haired crank, Einstein by name,
Puts on your high teaching all the blame.
Says: matter and force are transmutable
And wrong the laws you thought immutable."

"I am much too ignorant, my son,
For grasping schemes so finely spun.
My followers are of stronger mind
And I am content to stay behind,
Perhaps I failed, but I did my best,
These masters of mine may do the rest.
Come, Kelvin, I have finished my cup.
When is your friend Tesla coming up."

"Oh, quoth Kelvin, he is always late,
It would be useless to remonstrate."

Then silence—shuffle of soft slippered feet—
I knock and—the bedlam of the street.

Nikola Tesla, Novice

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 08:13 PM
And those are the Contours that made waveguides possible.

Radar Love? Hmm, very echoic of that Little Dutch Band tune about Golden Erring on the wrong side of the threshold limit.

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 08:15 PM
While listening on my cosmic phone

Then silence—shuffle of soft slippered feet—
I knock and—the bedlam of the street.

Nikola Tesla, Novice

Bravo!

WØTKX
08-17-2012, 08:38 PM
IIRC, didn't Tesla have a disagreement about energy and matter being the same,
and argued about the spaces between atoms actually having the energy?

Visions of subatomic particles, eh? I :heart: these visionary weirdoes.

W7XF
08-17-2012, 10:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAvkdYa3qM

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 10:20 PM

IIRC - I had to look that up and I'm the better for it, tnx.

I don't know. I bought Seifer's Tesla biography while ago and now it looks like I'll have to read it and see if that's addressed.

Believe it or not, the handyman who takes care of the property where I rent an apartment is a direct descendent of Mr Transcendentalism himself, Ralph Waldo Emerson, as well as a dabbler in things arcane, including contacting the dead, through a medium. One seance involved Tesla and Edison, who, according to the medium have patched things up on the other side. The handyman, no slouch of a tinkerer, designer of a four wheel drive vehicle for negotiating and harvesting woodlots in which he took me for a spin, lit up when he discovered I was a ham and has tried on several occasions to interest me in building a giant electronic ouija board, also of his design. I know, it all sounds very Dash! but it's all dead flat true as only real life can be if you live long enough to have the utter weirdness of it all made manifest.I hate that ouija seance stuff. Like, talking to the living is tough enough. To me it's like trying to swap a recipe with a stone. I've said as much to him as nice as I can. He pressed "The Ghost of 29 Megacycles" on me. Great. Caspar the Friendly Ten Meter DXer. I couldn't handle more than a chapter.

For all that, and the little I've read of Tesla, it seems like might well have died on the other side and popped out on our side for awhile. Good for him, lucky for us. Godspeed Nikola, may you finally get a date wherever you are, perhaps with Mrs. Calabash.

WØTKX
08-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Tesla... well, I would have worked for/with him. Endlessly. Resonating.

Edison musta payed Tesla what he owed him, eh? :lol:

Corey and Kelli both have dabbled in the electronic exploration of "the other side".

NA4BH
08-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Brother-in-law (who is a hammy) works for Tesla Motors

http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Tesla-Motors.jpg

http://www.automild.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2011-Tesla-Roadster-2.5-sport-car-588x412.jpg

That is one BADASS RIDE

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Brother-in-law (who is a hammy) works for Tesla Motors

That must be some kinda cool. There was a report a day or two ago that Elon Musk was gonna chip in, but I have seen nothing about the amount. What would be rockin' would be Musk and Bowie and maybe James Cameron putting together some event to really launch this thing into orbit. The goal 850gs plus the matching funds really just would buy the property, if the other bidder rolls over. Imagine rebuilding the tower, lighting up the lightning and kitting out the museum as a core for a larger campus, maybe a hyperspace camp for all the future smartypants we're gonna need to save the planet.

Jeff K1NSS
08-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Edison musta payed Tesla what he owed him, eh? :lol:

Yeah, Edison's reputation ain't the best no more. Back in sixth grade, when all I knew of Tesla was the coil I wanted from Edmund Scientific Company, I got into the Edison volume of a kiddie biography series and really drank the Koolaid. His kiddo basement chem lab, even cooler, hanging out at the railroad telegrapher's office and learning code, and oddly, what impressed me still more was his whole "candy butcher" gig, selling papers and candy and smokes on trains, man what a hustler! Guess that part was on the money.

NQ6U
08-18-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.automild.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2011-Tesla-Roadster-2.5-sport-car-588x412.jpg

That is one BADASS RIDE

That photograph was taken in San Diego. You can see two large aircraft hangars in the background—that's North Island Naval Air Station.

kb2vxa
08-18-2012, 11:07 PM
"Radar Love? Hmm, very echoic of that Little Dutch Band tune about Golden Erring on the wrong side of the threshold limit."
And don't forget Cpl. Walter O'Riley slept with his Teddy bear.

(Edison) "...hanging out at the railroad telegrapher's office and learning code..."
Not the code you're thinking of, Railroad Morse was quite different from Western Union/Continental Morse adopted as Radio Morse or simply "the code". I got such a laugh out of the railroad scene in the 1940 film Young Tom Edison starring Mickey Rooney when he sent a message on a locomotive whistle warning an approaching train many miles away the bridge was out. Now pray tell me, how did the engineer hear the warning over the roar of a steam engine running at track speed?

ki4itv
08-19-2012, 09:14 AM

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”~attributed to Nicola Tesla
:lol:kinda nailed that one...

Jeff K1NSS
08-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Railroad Morse was quite different from Western Union/Continental Morse adopted as Radio Morse or simply "the code". I got such a laugh out of the railroad scene in the 1940 film Young Tom Edison starring Mickey Rooney when he sent a message on a locomotive whistle warning an approaching train many miles away the bridge was out. Now pray tell me, how did the engineer hear the warning over the roar of a steam engine running at track speed?

Yup, in sixth grade to me code was code. Since, I've learned that many flavors are both extant and extinct but little more than that. Scanned a bit about Japanese code not so too long ago. And visited the Morse mansion, quite a cool take, about an hour from here. Tnx for the POI Warren. Far as Mickey Rooney's superpowers, I'll suspend disbelieve in heartbeat whenever that kid exclaims "Let's have a show!" He was one cool short stuff, with ideas smokin' big as Ava Gardner.

Jeff K1NSS
08-19-2012, 03:30 PM
“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”~attributed to Nicola Tesla

Deep thinkers...hey, we resemble that remark! :nuts:

WØTKX
08-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Well...

That's deep.

RIMSHOT!

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2908/monkeydrummert.gif

kb2vxa
08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Slight thread hijack in progress...
"Far as Mickey Rooney's superpowers... He was one cool short stuff, with ideas smokin' big as Ava Gardner."

That reminded me of something.

It's a great big universe
And we're all really puny
We're just tiny little specks
About the size of Mickey Rooney.
It's big and black and inky
And we are small and dinky
It's a big universe and we're not.

Let's see if anyone remembers the song that came from. Clue: the group (if you can call them that) were a big hit but they were not recording artists.

NQ6U
08-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Slight thread hijack in progress...
"Far as Mickey Rooney's superpowers... He was one cool short stuff, with ideas smokin' big as Ava Gardner."

That reminded me of something.

It's a great big universe
And we're all really puny
We're just tiny little specks
About the size of Mickey Rooney.
It's big and black and inky
And we are small and dinky
It's a big universe and we're not.

Let's see if anyone remembers the song that came from. Clue: the group (if you can call them that) were a big hit but they were not recording artists.

The Animaniacs: Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

W3WN
08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Hey all,

Perhaps you've heard, perhaps not, of the amazing fund raiser now in progress to save Tesla's Wardenclyffe Laboratory in Shoreham NY. Over half a million bucks raised in a few days, mostly small contributions it seems. The Tesla Center group is shooting for 850K to get matching funds from NY state to buy the property, a former Agfa film processing plant. It's the same place Paul W1GUH and Hamilton KD0FNR and I "activated" from its busted up guard shack last fall as W3T special ops. Here's the link: http://www.indiegogo.com/teslamuseum. There's perks like mugs and tshirts and more for higher rollers, but I like the idea of lotsa smallbucks and love to think of Nikola Tesla as the first ham.

Jeff,

I'll put something in my next club newsletter. If there's anything in particular you want me to say, just PM me.

kb2vxa
08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
"The Animaniacs: Yakko, Wakko, and Dot."

DING DING DING We have a winnah! Narrowing it down it's Yakko's Universe.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion of the mad scientist who made Frankenstein possible.

n2ize
08-21-2012, 01:53 AM

From what little I know of Tesla he always struck me as a brilliant engineer / applied scientist but crass with respect to "pure science". Some of his abstractions appear to wander somewhat lost and meandering amidst a certain degree of self-contradiction. Not that that is bad thing in and of itself, it could even a good thing in some respects.. But then I may be misjudging to my own ignorance. Unfortunately Tesla was seldom mentioned in the curriculum at "Harvard". LOL.

n2ize
08-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Well...

That's deep.

yep

W3WN
08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
"The Animaniacs: Yakko, Wakko, and Dot."

DING DING DING We have a winnah! Narrowing it down it's Yakko's Universe.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion of the mad scientist who made Frankenstein possible.Strictly speaking, Frankenstein was the mad scientist. The creation/monster had no name.

NQ6U
08-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Strictly speaking, Frankenstein was the mad scientist. The creation/monster had no name.

As I recall, in the book Dr. Frankenstein ["That's Frahn-ken-steen"] referred to his creation as "Adam."

kb2vxa
08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
"Strictly speaking, Frankenstein was the mad scientist."
His name was Victor Frankenstein which is odd, his father was Baron Von Frankenstein translated as "the baron from Frankenstein". Now check the map of Germany and find the city of Frankenstein.

"The creation/monster had no name."
Sure he did, "?"

Actually I was referring to the original movie and in it lies a quote that fits my alter ego. "Crazy am I? We'll SEE whether I'm crazy or not!" Now when it comes to making it possible, perhaps you noticed the huge Tesla coil and the unmistakable sound of its rotary arc gap which incidentally is the same sound effect behind Flash Gordon's space ship.

"As I recall, in the book Dr. Frankenstein ["That's Frahn-ken-steen"] referred to his creation as "Adam."
Close but no cigar. The monster refers to himself as "the Adam of your labors", and as "someone who would have been your Adam, but is instead your fallen angel."

Tesla was Edison's engineer but was fired because his polyphase AC designs conflicted with Edison's blind support of DC. Later Westinghouse bought Tesla's patents, built the first AC power station at Niagara Falls and the rest is as they say, history. Meanwhile a furious Edison rampaged against Westinghouse, electrocuted an elephant and citing the electric chair called electrocution Westinghousing. Mounting a protest of their own in 1890 The Dancing Horses of Pearl Street (NYC) kicked him in the head and burned down the power station. Now you know where the name Con Edison came from. Alright, all this has lead you to the question of the ages. Why is a DC electric car named Tesla and not Edison?

n2ize
08-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Tesla was Edison's engineer but was fired because his polyphase AC designs conflicted with Edison's blind support of DC. Later Westinghouse bought Tesla's patents, built the first AC power station at Niagara Falls and the rest is as they say, history. Meanwhile a furious Edison rampaged against Westinghouse, electrocuted an elephant and citing the electric chair called electrocution Westinghousing. Mounting a protest of their own in 1890 The Dancing Horses of Pearl Street (NYC) kicked him in the head and burned down the power station. Now you know where the name Con Edison came from. Alright, all this has lead you to the question of the ages. Why is a DC electric car named Tesla and not Edison?
Actually Con Edison was still supplying DC current to some customers in Manhattan. I think it was because certain older elevators required it. But in later years rather than run DC lines from the power station they were just rectifying the AC at the site where it was needed. At least thats what I was told.

Well, Edison was correct. DC is better. What's the first thing you do in most electronics ? You convert AC coming in to DC. Matter of fact a while back I remember hearing some noise about whether it would be more feasible if we were on DC in the here and now.. I remember reading into some sort of technical debate on the topic.

Far as electrocution goes, well Edison was off base there. I mean, killing Topsy wasn't too nice. Yeah, Topsy did throw someone into a wall or something but the person she threw was supposedly teasing her. I guess in those days they were able to get away with it. Nowaday's public electrocution of an animal would bring on a pretty intense public outcry.

Besides DC shocks can be pretty nasty. Like one evening when my hand accidentally hit the live plate supply in my Valiant. The current went through my arm, through my head and chest and out the other arm to ground... Shit now I know how a wire feels. For a few seconds I didn;'t know if I was dead or alive. I saw a blueish flash in my mind, tasted a metallic sort of tast in my mouth and smelled something that resembled burning flesh It was the most painful shock in my life.. Ever since then I won't touch anything with HV inside unless it's cut off from the AC mains and the caps are completely drained. If I must make an adjustment with the plates turned on ( very rare actually) I proceed with extreme caution. Or better yet, is disconnect it, discharge it, make a slight adjustment and then power it up and test once I'm outside of the equipment.. Repeat in that order till properly adjusted. That way my hands are never inside while the plates supplies are energized..

P.S. I heard one story claim that Tesla left Edison when Edison cheated him out of some money. According to the story Edison offered Tesla a substantial amount for his designs and when Tesla actually delivered the goods to Edison, Edison delivered a cruel joke to Tesla and at that point Tesla was like, "keep your damned money". and he left. If this is true then Edison put the "Con" in his own name. :lol:

K7SGJ
08-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Looks like the project made national news. This was on NPR this morning.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/24/159925435/zap-cartoonist-raises-1-million-for-tesla-museum

I really hope this can be pulled off.