PDA

View Full Version : Download an AR-15 automatic online

X-Rated
08-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Technical crap link (http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1394&doc_id=249037&cid=NL_Newsletters+-+DN+Daily&dfpPParams=ind_186,bid_26,aid_249037&dfpLayout=blog)

From Guslick's blog:

Figuring that my chances with a full scale print were excellent, I decided to modify the model by strengthening two areas that I was slightly concerned about -- the front takedown pin lugs and the bolt hold catch lugs. Adding more material to the model in SolidWorks was pretty straightforward, and I finished it up by adding an integral trigger guard. I switched out the PP3DP filament for some black Bolson ABS -- after all, the "black rifle" would look a bit odd in ivory (more importantly, it's easier to see/photograph detail on dark material). After slicing the STL file, I sent it to the Stratasys and waited a few days (no speed demons, these old machines).

...However, the idea of deploying highly accessible technology to output firearms cheaply -- and without legal sanction -- is pretty frightening, given recent events and all the loopholes that can impede effective gun control.

Should the internet downloads be limited? Is there a constitutional right that protects downloads?

W5GA
08-16-2012, 11:30 AM
As it's speech, yes, it should be allowed. And it's not an automatic anything...it's a model, nothing more, of a semi automatic rifle.

X-Rated
08-16-2012, 11:33 AM
He has fired over 200 rounds from his .22 "model".

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Great post.

Make sure to find us plans for dirty nukes and share them as well.

W5GA
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
He has fired over 200 rounds from his .22 "model".
Not surprising as the lower doesn't contain any pressure containing components, that's all in the upper he mated to it. One of those cases where ATF has mandated their restrictions on the wrong part, eh? Under current law, there is nothing illegal about a person making a gun for themselves...at least not at the federal level. As long as you don't try to sell it, then it becomes a felony worth $10k/10 yrs. No requirement for it to have a serial number, either.
OBTW, it's still not an automatic anything...it's a semi-auto.

X-Rated
08-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Not surprising as the lower doesn't contain any pressure containing components, that's all in the upper he mated to it. One of those cases where ATF has mandated their restrictions on the wrong part, eh? Under current law, there is nothing illegal about a person making a gun for themselves...at least not at the federal level. As long as you don't try to sell it, then it becomes a felony worth $10k/10 yrs. No requirement for it to have a serial number, either.
OBTW, it's still not an automatic anything...it's a semi-auto.

Don't talk to me about it. Write to the article author.
Michael Guslick, a Wisconsin engineer, has used a 15-year old Stratasys 3D printer and blueprints downloaded from the Internet to produce the lower receiver (also known as a frame) of an AR-15 automatic rifle.

If he is printing his own version, what stops him from printing an "automatic"?
Since when is a semi-automatic not an automatic? No one said "fully automatic". Do you believe in "kinda pregnant" or "sorta dead"?

n2ize
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Technical crap link (http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1394&doc_id=249037&cid=NL_Newsletters+-+DN+Daily&dfpPParams=ind_186,bid_26,aid_249037&dfpLayout=blog)Should the internet downloads be limited? Is there a constitutional right that protects downloads?He isn't doing anything but using technology to provide information about how to do something. It's information and information should never be censored. Might as well ban Chemistry texts, Physics texts because some dangerous things can be created from the information in them.

This merely uses advanced tech to take the info to the next level. I say, so what ? The data "info" is there. Besides, even if they were to try and restrict it there would be tons of ways to get it through... i.e. encryption, steganographic methods, etc. Besides, why should it be illegal to make a gun ?

X-Rated
08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
He isn't doing anything but using technology to provide information about how to do something. It's information and information should never be censored. Might as well ban Chemistry texts, Physics texts because some dangerous things can be created from the information in them.

The Julian Assange thread is elsewhere.

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Technically, that's way cool (but far from new). I passed it along to a co-worker who's doing some gun part work. Like everything else, the costs are coming down and the output keeps getting better. 3D printing is well into the hobbyist realm these days.

Philosophically, is this a case of capitalism being it's own worst enemy?

X-Rated
08-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Technically, that's way cool (but far from new). I passed it along to a co-worker who's doing some gun part work. Like everything else, the costs are coming down and the output keeps getting better. 3D printing is well into the hobbyist realm these days.

Philosophically, is this a case of capitalism being it's own worst enemy?

$499 for a printer today. Pretty cheap.

n2ize
08-16-2012, 01:57 PM
The Julian Assange thread is elsewhere.
I am not talking about Assange. I'm talking about this. I think its great.

W5GA
08-16-2012, 02:45 PM
If he is printing his own version, what stops him from printing an "automatic"?
The extremely critical location of the bosses for the holes for installation of the full auto sear assembly.

Since when is a semi-automatic not an automatic? No one said "fully automatic". Do you believe in "kinda pregnant" or "sorta dead"?
The inference is there, even if you don't want to acknowledge it.

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 02:53 PM
When I was getting out of the world of CNC software, the 3D printers were just showing up.

Got a chance to make a few widgets on one. It was freaking cool. :yes:

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
When I was getting out of the world of CNC software, the 3D printers were just showing up.

Got a chance to make a few widgets on one. It was freaking cool. :yes:

This stuff is different from the stereo lithography I remember from way back. I think that was a liquid process involving lasers.

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes... I played with the UV laser toys before that. My favorite toy was a mini CNC mill made by Roland. T

he same Roland that makes sythesizers and stuff. Used it for trades shows and demos.

Sold a few... to jewlery, coin, and trophy designers.

PA5COR
08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Can he produce working ammo that way too? ;)

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Yes... I played with the UV laser toys before that. My favorite toy was a mini CNC mill made by Roland. T

he same Roland that makes sythesizers and stuff. Used it for trades shows and demos.

Sold a few... to jewlery, coin, and trophy designers.

WayCoolStuff <tm> :D

Don't do much on mechanical stuff (I have a hard time drawing a cube in SketchUp), but work a lot on the control end of mechanics. We do a bit of rapid prototyping using this technology and I caught a story on NPR awhile back on the Makerbot stuff. They're saying they expect a big market in printing FOOD (Ewwww).

Recently read an article on how they think they can print buildings using this technology. The thought is to use it in areas where they need cheap housing fast (disaster areas, maybe low-income housing).

W5GA
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
WayCoolStuff <tm> :D

Don't do much on mechanical stuff (I have a hard time drawing a cube in SketchUp), but work a lot on the control end of mechanics. We do a bit of rapid prototyping using this technology and I caught a story on NPR awhile back on the Makerbot stuff. They're saying they expect a big market in printing FOOD (Ewwww).

Recently read an article on how they think they can print buildings using this technology. The thought is to use it in areas where they need cheap housing fast (disaster areas, maybe low-income housing).
Gee, printing a FEMA trailer...who'd a thunk it?

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Gee, printing a FEMA trailer...who'd a thunk it?

One hopes the material is recyclable. :twisted:

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Recycled formaldehyde? :chin:

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Recycled formaldehyde? :chin:

Maybe there's a way to use this in the fracking process? :(

n2ize
08-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Imagine a digital pharmaceutical lab ?? Imagine paying a fee and being able to download and produce drugs via the digital 3d pharmaceutical lab ??Think of the legal and illegal ramifications. Awesome. Imagine, getting stoned may someday be only a mouse click away.

N8YX
08-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Imagine, getting stoned may someday be only a mouse click away.
One need look no further than assorted posts on many forums for proof this in fact already occurring.

They almost always start out under the guise of "gun threads".

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Imagine a digital pharmaceutical lab ?? Imagine paying a fee and being able to download and produce drugs via the digital 3d pharmaceutical lab ??Think of the legal and illegal ramifications. Awesome. Imagine, getting stoned may someday be only a mouse click away.

Dammit, John.

I actually had that as part of my reply, but deleted it as being too radical.

You win.

ETA: One of the big sociological problems with humanity today is that science has no conscious. We invent incredible things without thinking much about how it affects us.

NQ6U
08-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Dammit, John.

You win.

Like, just go and print yourself up a joint and relax, man.

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Like, just go and print yourself up a joint and relax, man.

I long for the day...

NQ6U
08-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I long for the day...

Yeah, me too—as long as I could also print myself up some clean piss for the cup I may be called upon to fill at any time.

n2ize
08-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Dammit, John.

You win.

ETA: One of the big sociological problems with humanity today is that science has no conscious. We invent incredible things without thinking much about how it affects us.
That's the nature of technology and invention. You can't hold back. Whatever will be will be,

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Yeah, me too—as long as I could also print myself up some clean piss for the cup I may be called upon to fill at any time.

Yea. I will be getting my CDOT this fall. DOT testing soon. I'm not worried, don't need my favorite cancer med anymore.

KB3LAZ
08-17-2012, 04:10 AM

Today? More like always. That is nothing new.

K7SGJ
08-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Yea. I will be getting my CDOT this fall. DOT testing soon. I'm not worried, don't need my favorite cancer med anymore.

Good luck on the test. Especially the code portion.

X-Rated
08-17-2012, 09:12 AM
One need look no further than assorted posts on many forums for proof this in fact already occurring.

They almost always start out under the guise of "gun threads".

Like this one?

WØTKX
08-17-2012, 09:20 AM
With your amazing analytical skills, you should be a moderator, Jerry. :doh:

Having fun pushing envelopes?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sy3echS_Q1s/TezA9r7QkQI/AAAAAAAABVQ/wCENu3jekmU/s1600/cute+lamb+fuck+you+i+wont+do+what+you+tell+me.jpg