PDA

View Full Version : The Official Island 6M Thread

N8YX
08-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Wherein we discuss the Magic Band - openings, gear, contests and anything related.

Who else is playing there? I'm antenna limited at this point in time but have a vertical around 40ft in the air. Next year should see a horizontally polarized direction array and possibly a loop ready to go.

Gear-wise, I can operate all modes - including AM portable.

Skeds, anyone?

Our NWS regional office uses a Cleveland area
( 52.68 ) repeater for Skywarn backbone communications so one always keeps a receiver tuned to the output on SPC 'Convective Risk' days.

N7YA
08-16-2012, 05:38 AM
HA! First to post in the ongoing 6M thread, bitches!!

....now i just need to get some 6M gear. :dunno:

PA5COR
08-16-2012, 07:31 AM
FT 2000 D all-mode 200+ watts into a 5 element beam.

No amplifier for it, nor do i see a need for it, what i can hear i can work, what has been Europe, Africa, Israel, and some other stuff, will get the beam a few feet higher after ditching the 2/70 beams.

KG4CGC
08-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Wish I could add something to this but I haven't done 6m since the FT100 kacked out a few years ago. A simple 3 element directional antenna from MFJ and you can dominate the pile ups with just 100 watts. Easy and light weight, not complicated at all. That WAS my set up.

W3WN
08-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Now that the 505 is coming home, I'm giving some serious thought to mating it with the 6 meter transverter (1208? I can never remember the number) I picked up a couple of years ago at a hamfest.

X-Rated
08-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I DID have the TS-480HX and the TS-600. Sold them both. I bought the 480HX to replace the FT-840 that blew up in a storm. The receiver overloaded easily and made my CW operations not enjoyable. But the radio was very good otherwise. If someone is looking for a good rig for something other than CW contests and DX, I would recommend it. It had 100W on 6M. I never got excited about 6M and sold everything to do with 6M except for my VX5R. I hope others have a great time with it.

W1GUH
08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Whew! So that's why my TV has been messed up on channel 2! Thought I was going to have to get it fixed.

KG4NEL
08-16-2012, 10:21 PM
6 meters was my first introduction to DX as a Tech in 2001. Had tons of fun with a transverter (the Ten Tec 1208 mentioned previously), a dipole, and then an omni loop for a few years. There was a local group that was workable from central VA to southern NC - I have no idea if there's still any regular activity. Seems like everyone comes out for the contests, but other than that...

When I get the '847, I'll probably try to find a low band whip, at least get on FM again...the local club here has a blowtorch 6m machine, although users are few and far between :oops:

KA9MOT
08-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I have 6M and my OCF Dipole. The dipole doesn't work on 6M worth a darn. Plans are in the works for a 40M Loop this fall and I am hoping that that will work on 6M... If not a 6M delta loop is going in my tree as well. I have to use wires with trees as support or I would try something else.

KB3LAZ
08-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Well, before I left the states I was good for 70cm-160m. When I get back I will be good on zero bands. Well, I have a back up 730 in the closet. Shack liquidation or not, I needed a backup! Will take time to order new rigs, etc, have to have something to do in the meantime. Lol.

Once I decide on my new rig, and am back in the states I will be good for 10-80 or 6-80, depending on if I get my primary or secondary setup first. Im not sure when or if the 160m loop will go back up but it is not a priority. I probably wont have 2m/70cm for quite some time. I dont use repeaters and SSB activity in my area is low.

We shall see how things pan out when we get back stateside.

At the very least Ill use the backup and a dipole. :P

KJ4FEL
08-17-2012, 07:56 AM
The only times I have worked 6M is during the last couple of VHF contests, using my 706MkIIG. I was using a wire dipole but during the last contest used my Buddipole antenna, which I really like.

To date, my farthest 6M contact has been the Dominican Republic (about 1223 miles from my home according to qrz.com).

Still looking forward to the day when I'm able to get an Islander in my logbook :)

N8YX
08-17-2012, 08:10 AM
One of my very first eBay winsacquisitions was a broken Kenwood TS-660. For those not familiar with the rig, it covers 15,12,10 and 6M - USB, FM, CW (10w out) and AM (5w out). Sadly, no LSB - which limits its functionality somewhat where data mode and OSCAR operating is concerned. On the plus side it has a darned hot 6M receiver section. This one I'll probably keep around a while - the price was right and the fix was easy.

I have another FTV-901R inbound for use with the newly acquired FT-980. This combo and a remote amp may become a mainstay where 6M SSB/CW work is concerned, though the CTCSS-equipped FT-726R I have connected to the vertical is still the go-to outfit for repeater operations.

XE1/N5AL
05-07-2013, 06:03 PM
CE2AWW (Chile) booming in here all afternoon, on 50.102. From the DX spots, it looks like he's reaching the U.S., also.

WØTKX
05-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Sigh. Stuck at work.

wa6mhz
05-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Worked my first 6M DX on the FT5K. Looks like it will be a great 6M rig! Great for contesting on when other strong signals wipe out other rigs. I worked a Colorado and Utah station. Kinda lame DX, but it's DX which is great! So the E season is starting up! Little early this year! Sure would like to get in on some of the South America DX!

Wish I was home to work more of it! But the band is always OPEN while I am at work, and promptly CLOSES when I get home!

WØTKX
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Who'd ya work in CO? I know a lot of the VHF/UHF nuts... :lol:

X-Rated
05-07-2013, 08:26 PM

I don't know anybody in Cuba.

WX7P
05-07-2013, 09:33 PM
CE2AWW (Chile) booming in here all afternoon, on 50.102. From the DX spots, it looks like he's reaching the U.S., also.

Cool.

I never heard much on 6 in CA. Haven't tried here.

Is there much XE action on 6?

WØTKX
05-07-2013, 09:44 PM

Self quoted for anti-semantics. CO=Colorado. Feh.

WX7P
05-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Worked my first 6M DX on the FT5K. Looks like it will be a great 6M rig! Great for contesting on when other strong signals wipe out other rigs. I worked a Colorado and Utah station. Kinda lame DX, but it's DX which is great! So the E season is starting up! Little early this year! Sure would like to get in on some of the South America DX!

Wish I was home to work more of it! But the band is always OPEN while I am at work, and promptly CLOSES when I get home!

That's because you've been a very, very, baaaad boy, Pat. :lol:

What do you use for a 6m antenna? Where do you listen?

I had my Kenwood TS-60S parked on 52.525 and heard bupkus.

XE1/N5AL
05-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Is there much XE action on 6?
Most of what I hear on 6 meters is coming from Central and South America. I'm sure there is 6m activity in Mexico, but I'm probably just not listening at the right times. There is a local ham, XE1GRR, who runs a 25 W. beacon into a ground plane, on 50.080. He lives on the other side of the city and he doesn't always have the beacon running. On rare ocassions, I can barely hear his signal. Usually, however, he is coming in S9+.

WX7P
05-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Most of what I hear on 6 meters is coming from Central and South America. I'm sure there is 6m activity in Mexico, but I'm probably just not listening at the right times. There is a local ham, XE1GRR, who runs a 25 W. beacon into a ground plane, on 50.080. He lives on the other side of the city and he doesn't always have the beacon running. On rare ocassions, I can barely hear his signal. Usually, however, he is coming in S9+.

What are you using for an antenna, rig etc?

W2NAP
05-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Well I got to really get some antennas together. not only am I going to eventually put up a 144 and 432 halo. but I am gonna toss up a halo for 6m. not sure when But ill get it eventually.

wish i had it up today. since I guess 6 was open

X-Rated
05-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Well I got to really get some antennas together. not only am I going to eventually put up a 144 and 432 halo. but I am gonna toss up a halo for 6m. not sure when But ill get it eventually.

wish i had it up today. since I guess 6 was open
Every May. I remember in high school one morning listening to a Baltimore FM broadcast station in May from eastern Kansas. VHF opens up.

XE1/N5AL
05-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Here in Guadalajara, the 6 meter setup is fairly simple: a Yaesu FT-736R with a dipole antenna. There's a three element, 6m beam laying in pieces on the floor behind me, but I have plans to install it at another QTH, which is about 120 miles due west of here, in Puerto Vallarta.