PDA

View Full Version : OMG! OMG! PowerBall! Guess what!?

W4GPL
08-16-2012, 12:15 AM
I didn't get a single number. :nono:

It's friggin' rigged, everyone knows I should win. Le sigh..

kb2crk
08-16-2012, 02:33 AM
I didn't get a single number. :nono:

It's friggin' rigged, everyone knows I should win. Le sigh..
I didn't get a single number either...
but then I didn't buy a ticket....

PA5COR
08-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Didn't win either, since i don't play just like the Euromillions, English couple won 138.6 million Euro.....

W5GA
08-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Wife dropped $20 on tix yestiddy....
It's become quite apparent that buying a ticket doesn't significantly increase your chances of winning.

W4GPL
08-16-2012, 07:43 AM
I buy one single ticket whenever the jackpot is as high as it was ($300+ million).. it's fun to day dream. But I never waste more than the $2 -- it only takes one to lose. :)

KG4CGC
08-16-2012, 08:02 AM
I won $4.
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981549586

W3WN
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Wife dropped $20 on tix yestiddy....
It's become quite apparent that buying a ticket doesn't significantly increase your chances of winning.If you have enough money to buy enough tickets to significantly affect the odds in your favor... you don't need to be buying lottery tickets.

Eh. It's "mad money." The $2 I used to spend on candy bars, back when I could eat them? A ticket or two a week. What the hell. It's for fun; I know what the odds are.

And I don't live in Michigan, nor did I buy a ticket there, so I know that whomever the winner is... it's not me.

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
It's as good a retirement plan as the one for Enron employees...

NY3V
08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
If I won, I would buy Crest, CA and enslave the citizens.

On second thought, they already are and just don't realize it. ;)

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 04:26 PM
It's become quite apparent that buying a ticket doesn't significantly increase your chances of winning.

I'm stealing that line.

W3WN
08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
If I won, I would buy Crest, CA and enslave the citizens.

On second thought, they already are and just don't realize it. ;)Nah. But I would buy that vacant house & vacant plot next door to Pat, and build him his museum. In fact, I'd also buy all of the exhibits & hire him as the permanent curator.

Sorry Pat. I didn't win.

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Nah. But I would buy that vacant house & vacant plot next door to Pat, and build him his museum. In fact, I'd also buy all of the exhibits & hire him as the permanent curator.

Sorry Pat. I didn't win.

Would the museum have Japanese panties? Inquiring minds and all that....

W3WN
08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Would the museum have Japanese panties? Inquiring minds and all that....
There is a time & a place to keep your mind in the gutter.

And this isn't a bowling alley. :evil:

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 09:18 PM
But it IS the Rumpus Room. :lol:

kf0rt
08-16-2012, 09:27 PM
There is a time & a place to keep your mind in the gutter.

And this isn't a bowling alley. :evil:

NOW ya tell me.

WØTKX
08-16-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.threeimaginarygirls.com/files/uploaded-images/The%20Big%20Lebowski.jpg

KG4CGC
11-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Half a BILLION.

KB3LAZ
11-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Half a BILLION.

Yep. Mom bought tickets with the numbers I play. :D We shall see. She wins I can fly home and we will claim it together. :D

I also play the Euro Mil's and the local Spanish lotto. I won 14€ the other day...lol

The most I have ever won is 1000 USD.

NY3V
11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
As a Service to the Island's members, I am posting the winning PowerBall numbers that mysteriously appeared overnight on my 160 meter Mars bounce return:

05 54 32 16 17 32 ;)

K7SGJ
11-28-2012, 12:10 PM
As a Service to the Island's members, I am posting the winning PowerBall numbers that mysteriously appeared overnight on my 160 meter Mars bounce return:

05 54 32 16 17 32 ;)

Damnit, that's the combination to my safe. Thanks.........

KC2UGV
11-28-2012, 12:30 PM

05 54 32 16 17 32 ;)

Were they spoken by a husky latina voice, in spanish?

WØTKX
11-28-2012, 12:56 PM
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/60/6004/GUDB100Z/posters/warren-miller-those-two-are-recent-powerball-money-the-people-by-the-table-are-old-st-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

http://www.powerball310.com/powerball310_extras/cartoons/Golla_Blanton_failed_test_lottery.gif

NQ6U
11-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Damn it, that's the combination to my safe. Thanks.........

Damn it, it's the password to my Island account!

Oh, wait, maybe I shouldn't have said that...

W3WN
11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Damnit, that's the combination to my safe. Thanks.........
I thought that was "1 2 3 4 5" -- oh, I'm sorry, that's the password to your luggage. Never mind.

WØTKX
11-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Buy them tickets!

http://youtu.be/eX1JPxWhXiA

http://youtu.be/eX1JPxWhXiA

KG4CGC
11-28-2012, 03:54 PM
550 million. Wow.
I was just reading a local TV news site with all the comments about the lottery. There were tons of people claiming that they would never quit their jobs if they won. Liars. I reminded them that if they were an employee somewhere, that they would be keeping someone in need out of work because of their false sense of ethics.

kf0rt
11-28-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure I'd even send my employer a postcard. :rofl:

W3WN
11-28-2012, 04:21 PM
550 million. Wow.
I was just reading a local TV news site with all the comments about the lottery. There were tons of people claiming that they would never quit their jobs if they won. Liars. I reminded them that if they were an employee somewhere, that they would be keeping someone in need out of work because of their false sense of ethics.Well, I wouldn't quit my job.

Not until the lottery money shows up; in Pennsylvania, that can take 6 to 8 weeks. Man's got to eat, after all.

WØTKX
11-28-2012, 04:25 PM
I would stay and fight the good fight without as much fear of being fired. Also, I would still need health insurance. Freedom from staying on because of health insurance is a big deal. I like my job, but the clueless are the leaders.

2014 may be a very interesting year, due to the healthcare law changes. I'm deciding what certs or possible degrees to add to my bag 'o tricks. Maybe an MBA, so I can fight the good fight where it matters most, eh?

My boss says I see the big picture well. :lol:

KG4CGC
11-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I would stay and fight the good fight without as much fear of being fired. Also, I would still need health insurance. Freedom from staying on because of health insurance is a big deal. I like my job, but the clueless are the leaders.

2014 may be a very interesting year, due to the healthcare law changes. I'm deciding what certs or possible degrees to add to my bag 'o tricks. Maybe an MBA, so I can fight the good fight where it matters most, eh?

My boss says I see the big picture well. :lol:

I'm just going to use you as an example. Not you personally but let's say you did all that.
Would you hide the fact that you won? You may need to due to becoming a target of those who at worst, are jealous and don't think you deserve for list of reasons from A to Z. Those who at the least, would present you with sob stories and if you gave in to them, you would have to listen to every sob story in the plant and oblige all of them. There would be no time to get any work done. Harsh, yes.

Then there is management. Upper management may like things the way they are. What level of simpatico do you think the owners would be on with you. If they perceive you as a threat, they may simply shut you out no matter your level of education or money and you would still be a target. Sad, yes.

There may be better ways to accomplish your goals. Getting off the company radar may be to your benefit.

KB3LAZ
11-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Yep, Id quit my job. Id probably change my name and move to the Netherlands too.

WØTKX
11-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Believe me, I'm off the radar. Because I'm a tool user, and work with my hands.

I'd be pretty quiet about it. A white lie about an inheritance for the new vehicle. ;)

Pay off the mortgage. Take my girl on vacation. And salt it away for a nice retirement.

Then, maybe run for public orfice. :lol:

n6hcm
11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
as soon as the money was in my hands i would: (a) pay off my mortgages, (b) pay off everything else, (c) quit!

VE7DCW
11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Believe me, I'm off the radar. Because I'm a tool user, and work with my hands.

I'd be pretty quiet about it. A white lie about an inheritance for the new vehicle. ;)

Pay off the mortgage. Take my girl on vacation. And salt it away for a nice retirement.

Then, maybe run for public orfice. :lol:

O.K. .....then here's a question for all you U.S. lottery players..... any money you win in a lottery,do you pay any taxes on it???? .....here in Canada,any money you win in any lottery across the country is totally tax free ....... but ....if you bank it and earn interest of course the interest becomes taxable ..... they don't get you one way they'll get you another! :yes:

KG4CGC
11-28-2012, 07:17 PM
O.K. .....then here's a question for all you U.S. lottery players..... any money you win in a lottery,do you pay any taxes on it???? .....here in Canada,any money you win in any lottery across the country is totally tax free ....... but ....if you bank it and earn interest of course the interest becomes taxable ..... they don't get you one way they'll get you another! :yes:

At 550 mil, you'll end up with roughly 350 mil and state taxes may vary. The question is, will they tax it every year. Not any interest earned. That will be taxed but in the US, you'll probably need a tax lawyer to keep the IRS from bullying more out of you than you owe.

NY3V
11-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Don't quit your job, if you win, just secretly Buy the company you work for keeping your name off the ownership and quietly call in your bosses and show them you are now their Boss and tell them why you are replacing them with competant executives. Then turn the company into an Employee owned enterprise. (every working man's wet dream?) ;)

K7SGJ
11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Shit, if I win, I'm going to come out of retirement and find a job.

W3WN
11-28-2012, 07:38 PM
O.K. .....then here's a question for all you U.S. lottery players..... any money you win in a lottery,do you pay any taxes on it???? .....here in Canada,any money you win in any lottery across the country is totally tax free ....... but ....if you bank it and earn interest of course the interest becomes taxable ..... they don't get you one way they'll get you another! :yes:Oh yes.

I don't know about other states, but in PA, they take the state's tax(es) "off the top" -- so if the announced top prize, for example, is $50 million, that is AFTER the state taxes have already been deducted.

The Fed's cut is next. I'm not sure what it is, but it's hefty. And then there's whatever the local municipality charges for local income tax... to say nothing of the school district.

So, that $50 million? Figure that by the time the government entities get their cuts -- deducted, off the top, before you see a dime -- you'll be somewhere between $20 M & $25 M.

Which isn't paid all at once -- that's the value of the annuity. So figure a net of $1 M up front, then roughly another $1 M a year for 20 to 25 years, depending on the particular lottery game you "won."

Or, you can take it as a lump sum. When times are good and interest rates are high, the amount to buy the annuity can be about 50% of the annuity value. Right now, it's higher. But, go with 1/2 to keep the math simple, for the sake of argument. Now, the government(s) still get their share off the top. That doesn't change. Only the actual $$ amount does.

Personally, I'd most likely take the cash and make my own investments. That way, I could control how much "liquid" cash to have on hand, how much to invest short term, long term, and in what.

And yes, you still pay taxes on investment income, interest, capital gains... yup, they get you coming & going.

W3WN
11-28-2012, 07:51 PM

My boss says I see the big picture well. :lol:If you have a few million in the bank, you might not need insurance... or at least you could certainly afford individual coverage, better than anything you have now! :evil:

Seriously though... have any of you guys ever met a lottery winner?

Back when I was teaching Novice & Tech classes, one of my students was a retired press worker from the old Pittsburgh Press newspaper. (I don't want to mention his name & call for obvious reasons; he's still listed as active, but we've been out of touch for awhile now.) Very nice guy, but at the time, it struck me as a bit odd that someone in his 50's would be retired.

Over time, I found out that he and a small group of friends from the Press had shared a fairly decent sized lottery win; that's why he was retired. Only it wasn't voluntary. He told me that the union stewards had harrassed every one of the group to retire or quit, on the grounds that they were keeping jobs away from younger workers. It had actually reached the point that the paper made them a buy-out offer they couldn't refuse, because of the union demands.

Very few people knew he had $$ though. He kept it that way. He told me that too many "friends" and family members pressured him for $.

As it turned out, I also worked with his daughter; from his first marriage. That was part of the problem as well... pressure from the ex-wife for a share of the winnings, pressure from his sons from his 2nd marriage to finance their hobbies...

Heck of a nice guy though. He was active in several clubs until his eyesight wouldn't let him drive anymore, plus some health issues, and he's faded into the woodwork. I hope he's still around.

And he wouldn't undo the win, though he would have done some things after winning differently.

K7SGJ
11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, I won the lottery once. Went out and bought a dog. Named him Lotto.

Oh, you mean BIG $$. Nope. Seems like the majority of the big winners are old and sick. I'm due.

kf0rt
11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Don't quit your job, if you win, just secretly Buy the company you work for keeping your name off the ownership and quietly call in your bosses and show them you are now their Boss and tell them why you are replacing them with competant executives. Then turn the company into an Employee owned enterprise. (every working man's wet dream?) ;)

That was the discussion at "coffee talk" this morning. Make the company work like it should! Got some great pals there.

Didn't plan to buy any tix, but the guy at the beer store asked. Bought 5. If I win, I'll pay off Carl's bar tab.

K7SGJ
11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
He already paid it off. That's why the country is in recovery, or AA, or something.

kf0rt
11-28-2012, 09:39 PM
He already paid it off. That's why the country is in recovery, or AA, or something.

I saw that, but that was like... a month ago.

K7SGJ
11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Are you suggesting heavy drinkers abound?

kf0rt
11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Are you suggesting heavy drinkers abound?

Have you checked the Island's receiving dock lately? Oy vey. Charles doesn't like to brag, but.... I'm thinking he needs a raise.

KG4CGC
11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
All the lottery sites are bogged down. Down to the ground.

TESLA
11-28-2012, 11:13 PM
5-16-22-23-29 PB-6

W3WN
11-28-2012, 11:15 PM
5-16-22-23-29 PB-6My wife bought a handful of tickets at lunch today.

During the first news segment, she checked them all. Not a single number, let alone any kind of winning ticket.

NQ6U
11-29-2012, 12:32 AM
I saw that, but that was like... a month ago.

It's starting to build up a bit but it's no longer even close to where it was (roughly equal to the GDP of Uruguay). Now it's more like the GDP of Tuvalu.

KC9ECI
11-29-2012, 06:23 AM
I didn't get a single number either...
but then I didn't buy a ticket....

Dito. I was poor yesterday, I'm poor today. Damn shame really that I didn't win. I was really going to have fun trying to get out of bed this morning and spending the whole 9 hours at work just to see if I could do it.

K7SGJ
11-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Hah! I told ya. It pays to be a sick old man. You all may now refer to me as "your richness". The first thing I'm going to buy is Maxwell, and hold an Island Luau. Whhheeeeeeeeeeeee Roast the lil bastid.

WØTKX
11-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Maxwell is a great name for a "Ham".

Heheheh. Snort, snort.

NY3V
11-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Maxwell is a great name for a "Ham".

Heheheh. Snort, snort.

I'm partial to 'Hiram' ;)

X-Rated
11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm partial to 'Hiram' ;)

In the electronics industry, it's always Hiram and Firam.

I looked into the break even point, should you ever find yourself in the dilemma of trying to decide on the cash payment or on the 30 year annuity. Assuming the Powerball company doesn't go bankrupt and you don't get all of your annuity payments, the break even point would be whether you can find a spot to invest for more than 4.1%, because that would be the annuity rate of return on your cash amount. CD's are pathetic right now. I don't know if a good financial adviser could get you 5% or a bunch better than that or not. But if you could find 5% or 6%, take the cash and invest.

EDIT: 4.1% simple interest.

K7SGJ
11-29-2012, 12:32 PM
In the electronics industry, it's always Hiram and Firam.

I looked into the break even point, should you ever find yourself in the dilemma of trying to decide on the cash payment or on the 30 year annuity. Assuming the Powerball company doesn't go bankrupt and you don't get all of your annuity payments, the break even point would be whether you can find a spot to invest for more than 4.1%, because that would be the annuity rate of return on your cash amount. CD's are pathetic right now. I don't know if a good financial adviser could get you 5% or a bunch better than that or not. But if you could find 5% or 6%, take the cash and invest.

EDIT: 4.1% simple interest.

If you decide to take the annuity, and change your mind later, call 877 CASH NOW, after all, it's your money, use it when YOU need it..

N7YA
12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
(que the big, cross dressing viking with the deep baritone)