PDA

View Full Version : Dell Support ???

n2ize
08-14-2012, 06:22 PM
What is a cheaper alternative to paying $100/month for Dell tech support ?

kf0rt
08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Tell him you'll do it for $50 a month?

(Yeah, I'll go to hell for that.)

ETA: Can't he use a "Geek squad" type service on an as-needed basis?

n2ize
08-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Tell him you'll do it for $50 a month?

(Yeah, I'll go to hell for that.)

I thought of that. But unfortunately I can't manage the time.

ETA: Can't he use a "Geek squad" type service on an as-needed basis?

That's sort of what I was thinking. I see no reason why he couldn't. Beats giving Dell $1200/year + late fees.

w0aew
08-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Granted that he's looney so logical inquiries may be fruitless, but 1) how expensive a computer does he have that it's worth maintenance costs this high, 2) what does he do on the computer that's worth that much of an investment, and/or 3) have you checked with Dell to determine if such an expensive maintenance plan is even available (if he's so clueless about money, maybe he gave you wrong numbers)?

Or is following up on the issue worth it to you? Maybe you could just rub your chin, give an earnest frown, and say "hmmmmmm".

K7SGJ
08-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Even if you were able to save him some, or even all, of the $$ he is sending to Dell, would he not just piss it away elsewhere? I should think there would be some kind of local small business that would provide the service he wants. I know there are in Phoenix so they must be most anywhere.

Never the less, good luck. Sometimes helping a friend is the hardest part of being a friend.

W1GUH
08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Is this topic really about how should the guy maintain his computer, or is it about judging the guy's lifestyle?

W1GUH
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
aew:

Granted that he's looney ...

Do you have more information than I? How is a guy that chooses to eats out every meal a "looney?"

KJ3N
08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
How is a guy that chooses to eats out every meal a "looney?"

I believe the "looney" comment is about him paying Dell $100 a month. I'd call him a looney for that alone.

n2ize
08-15-2012, 11:23 AM
In any event thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately thinking in terms of how much the computer is worth, does its value and performance warrant x amount of dollars in maintenance is not in his way of thinking. I think the best suggestion so far is to use an "as needed" service, such as geek squad on an "as needed" basis rather than a steady $1200/year + late fees to Dell. Does anyone know if Dell has an "as needed" tech support service ? My main reason for asking is that I am totally unfamiliar (clueless) with tech support plans as I've never used them I always fix my own stuff.

In any event I can only suggest it as a way to save a few bucks. Giving Dell 100 per month sounds crazy.

kf0rt
08-15-2012, 11:33 AM
$100 a month almost sounds like he's leasing the computer from Dell w/ service included.

Yeah, way over the top if all he's getting is tech support. Wonder how often he calls their tech support.

n2ize
08-15-2012, 11:33 AM
aew:

Do you have more information than I? How is a guy that chooses to eats out every meal a "looney?"

It's not, provided you can afford to do so. But if you cannot afford it and you have no savings whatsoever and it is going to run you clean out of money and you are going to have to borrow from others or sell your things, or simply go without eating, to make it through to your next paycheck and then do the same thing all over again week after week, year after year...

n2ize
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
$100 a month almost sounds like he's leasing the computer from Dell w/ service included.

Yeah, way over the top if all he's getting is tech support. Wonder how often he calls their tech support.

That's a good question. I may ask him before suggesting any alternatives. If he uses them near every day or several times a week then it might be worth it. Otherwise it is over the top and it would be better if he did it on a pay per use basis.

N1LAF
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.illwillpress.com/tech.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD_8cBqhW0

N1LAF
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K4iTkXgwAg

kb2vxa
08-15-2012, 05:49 PM
This is a complicated issue, I'm not a psychiatrist and if I were I'd not attempt to diagnose by remote control. Same thing with what tech support attempts to do by reading the same script the caller gave up on. Robot or meat puppet they're programmed with stock answers, in other words they don't think so you can think of them as a computer database and search engine like your personal Google. Reminds me of someone I knew, computer illiterate and a walking contradiction, asked but rejected answers thinking he knows better. So why ask? Therein lies the mystery, refused to read help files, spent a fortune on tech support calls and I soon gave up on giving advice he refused to take, may as well try reasoning with a brick.

So where is this leading? No matter how hard you try you'll change nothing, your words fall on deaf ears, you're tossing pearls before swine. Simply put, your best course of action is no action. He's survived this long... unlike Foamy Squirrel, foaming indicates the last stage of rabies.

N1LAF
08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I have a sort of unusual question. I will have to give a bit of an intro here so , please bear with me. I have a friend who has a Dell Computer. He is the type of person who is not the least bit computer saavy. To him the innards and workings of a computer are a complete mystery. He has not a clue. He is also a strange sort of guy in that he has a job but he lives from paycheck to paycheck. He has no bank account, no savings whatsoever. When he gets paid he cashes his check in full at a "check cashing establishment" (and they charge a hefty cost) and then blows every penny, not on wine, women and song, or drugs, or gambling, but on eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at restaurants 7 days a week because he has no conception of preparing anything at home or packing a bag lunch, on esoteric books and recordings of rare cultural music (one of his main interests), on long distance public transportation to out of the way places to attend cultural events like Armenian folk dances, Bulgarian picnics, etc. You may ask, why do I stay friends with such a person ?? Because I am a nice guy, I am kind and tolerant and, because he is a good person at heart, he means well, and we share a common interest in performing classical music, short wave radio, and a few other things.

Recently I was speaking with him over the phone and I was trying to give him some hints on how to save money. I asked him to list some of his expenses and I was appalled when he told me that he is paying $100/month for Dell Tech support. That is $1200/year. I immediately asked him if he can do without the support but he said that sometimes problems come up and he doesn't know how to fix them. I didn't know what to tell him since I have never used tech support (I solve my own computer issues). Is there a cheaper alternative as opposed to being on the hook to Dell for $100 every month ?? He even told me they charge him extra if he is late !! To Dell, he and others like him are simply easy money in the bank. What alternatives might there be to paying Dell ?? Does anyone offer tech support on an "as needed" basis ? It just seems crazy for a guy who doesn't get paid a whole lot and who has no concept of saving a cent should be getting clobbered by Dell for $100/month.

Thank y'all for putting up with this lengthy post. Any suggestions ?

You can buy a couple computers for that price. I live in a small town, and I can point to 6 computer fix-it shops within 10 minutes of my house.

n2ize
08-15-2012, 10:47 PM
This is a complicated issue, I'm not a psychiatrist and if I were I'd not attempt to diagnose by remote control. Same thing with what tech support attempts to do by reading the same script the caller gave up on. Robot or meat puppet they're programmed with stock answers, in other words they don't think so you can think of them as a computer database and search engine like your personal Google. Reminds me of someone I knew, computer illiterate and a walking contradiction, asked but rejected answers thinking he knows better. So why ask? Therein lies the mystery, refused to read help files, spent a fortune on tech support calls and I soon gave up on giving advice he refused to take, may as well try reasoning with a brick.

So where is this leading? No matter how hard you try you'll change nothing, your words fall on deaf ears, you're tossing pearls before swine. Simply put, your best course of action is no action. He's survived this long... unlike Foamy Squirrel, foaming indicates the last stage of rabies.
I think you are correct. He says that sometime in 2014 he will begin to be able to start saving money. But I remember him telling me that back in 2001 that by 2003 he will be abkle to begin start saving. Then in 2005 in 2006 he will start. Advice goes in one ear and out the other. I think you have posed the best advice. My best course of action is simply to let it be. Make the suggestion and lket it go as it will go the way of all the good suggestions over the years, right down the crapper.

n2ize
08-15-2012, 10:54 PM
You can buy a couple computers for that price. I live in a small town, and I can point to 6 computer fix-it shops within 10 minutes of my house.

^^^^ Yep, like I say I never used any kind of tech support. UI have always been a fix it yourself'er. All I can do is recommend what others here have suggested and hope he considers the options. Beyond that its not my problem,

n6hcm
08-16-2012, 12:10 AM
i'm pretty sure he's *not* paying dell that kind of money for technical support for a personal computer. for that kind of money he can get a new desktop computer 2x/year.

W1GUH
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Let's just say he has some issues (mild autism or asbergers perhaps or just a way of thinking that appears as such) that make it difficult for him to apply common day to day logic to such situations the same way as the rest of us might. Simply said, he excels (practically to genius level) at certain subjects that he loves but at the same time can't "walk and chew" or figure out basic finance.

In any event thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately thinking in terms of how much the computer is worth, does its value and performance warrant x amount of dollars in maintenance is not in his way of thinking. I think the best suggestion so far is to use an "as needed" service, such as geek squad on an "as needed" basis rather than a steady $1200/year + late fees to Dell. Does anyone know if Dell has an "as needed" tech support service ? My main reason for asking is that I am totally unfamiliar (clueless) with tech support plans as I've never used them I always fix my own stuff.

In any event I can only suggest it as a way to save a few bucks. Giving Dell 100 per month sounds crazy.

Yea, but the whole first paragraph appears to be irrelevant to the question (finding affordable computer support) and a gratuitous dumping of your disapproval of the way the guy lives on a very public forum.

n2ize
08-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Yea, but the whole first paragraph appears to be irrelevant to the question (finding affordable computer support) and a gratuitous dumping of your disapproval of the way the guy lives on a
very public forum.

Thats why I didn't mention any names or locations. I thought explaining the background of the situation might enable a more tailored suggestion. But you are right, I should have not mentioned it at all as if anything it detracted from the actual question and responses I was looking for as it led people to comment more about the person (who will remain unnamed) as opposed to responding about the cost of Dell support and less expensive alternatives. This threat proves conclusively that I can be prone error in judgement and capable of mistakes.

On the plus side it seems that most people generally agree. $100/mo is somewhat high and, an "on demand" service might be a better option. We'll leave it there.

Meanwhile I went back and edited the original posting to the few words it should have contained to begin with.There really was no need for me to give all the background.info that I originally put in.

W3WN
08-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Your friend should talk to someone who works at a small, local, "mom and pop" computer store. For that kind of money, he ought to be able to get a lot more "up close and personal" support.

kb2vxa
08-17-2012, 06:03 PM
"I thought explaining the background of the situation might enable a more tailored suggestion."

Without background we'd never know the root of the problem and talk the tech support bit into the ground pointlessly.

"I think you have posed the best advice. My best course of action is simply to let it be."

That's because I know the only way to kill a weed is to attack the root. There are many reasons why attacking this root is futile (never mind Locutus) so the only way to save your sanity is to use the Lennon Maneuver, let it be.

"Your friend should talk to someone who works at a small, local, "mom and pop" computer store."

If nothing else that'll get him out of IZE's hair. (;->)

W1GUH
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Thats why I didn't mention any names or locations. I thought explaining the background of the situation might enable a more tailored suggestion. But you are right, I should have not mentioned it at all as if anything it detracted from the actual question and responses I was looking for as it led people to comment more about the person (who will remain unnamed) as opposed to responding about the cost of Dell support and less expensive alternatives. This threat proves conclusively that I can be prone error in judgement and capable of mistakes.

On the plus side it seems that most people generally agree. $100/mo is somewhat high and, an "on demand" service might be a better option. We'll leave it there.

Meanwhile I went back and edited the original posting to the few words it should have contained to begin with.There really was no need for me to give all the background.info that I originally put in.

Thanks for the good words John, and especially for taking my comments in exactly the spirit I intended. And, apologies if my comments were too much on the aggressive side.

n2ize
08-20-2012, 09:12 PM
"I thought explaining the background of the situation might enable a more tailored suggestion."

Without background we'd never know the root of the problem and talk the tech support bit into the ground pointlessly.

"I think you have posed the best advice. My best course of action is simply to let it be."

That's because I know the only way to kill a weed is to attack the root. There are many reasons why attacking this root is futile (never mind Locutus) so the only way to save your sanity is to use the Lennon Maneuver, let it be.

"Your friend should talk to someone who works at a small, local, "mom and pop" computer store."

If nothing else that'll get him out of IZE's hair. (;->)

Well "Roger" is out of money again and has to resort to selling belongings yet again so, what can I say ? Nothing that will make a difference.