PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love home ownership

kf0rt
08-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Just replaced the water heater here. Jeebus. Took three trips to Home Despot and wasn't as easy as last time (inlet and outlet pipes both needed to be about 2" shorter). Call it a 3+ hour job with about half that spent in the car and the aisles of the big orange box.

Originally was just going to hire it out, but man... they seem to be getting upwards of a grand for that these days and the prices on the tanks are up there too (paid about $500 for the new one). Bastids. But ya know... 5 large saved for 3-4 hours of aggravation beats the heck out of my salary.

Made more today plumbin' than I did workin'.

Hope the job holds. :lol:

Okay, throw in another hour tomorrow for "cleanup."

Oh, and the new one has a piezo starter -- no more hunting for the long-wand lighter I use on the grill (because Ghod knows, the piezo starters on those things never work).

KG4CGC
08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Again? Didn't you just replace one 18 to 24 months ago? The haunted one.

K7SGJ
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Just replaced the water heater here. Jeebus. Took three trips to Home Despot and wasn't as easy as last time (inlet and outlet pipes both needed to be about 2" shorter). Call it a 3+ hour job with about half that spent in the car and the aisles of the big orange box.

Originally was just going to hire it out, but man... they seem to be getting upwards of a grand for that these days and the prices on the tanks are up there too (paid about $500 for the new one). Bastids. But ya know... 5 large saved for 3-4 hours of aggravation beats the heck out of my salary.

Made more today plumbin' than I did workin'.

Hope the job holds. :lol:

Okay, throw in another hour tomorrow for "cleanup."

Oh, and the new one has a piezo starter -- no more hunting for the long-wand lighter I use on the grill (because Ghod knows, the piezo starters on those things never work).

Piezo starters, Pfffft. I use a lighter and a can of hairspray.

I have to do the water heater thing here,too. Had this one for 20 years and we are living on borrowed time. Flushing every few months extended its' life, I'm sure. I was all set to put in a Rannai tankless, but I discovered my propane run is too long, and the pipe is 1/4 to small, so it's back to a regular 40-50 gallon gas unit. I hate plumbing almost as much as I hate painting.

kf0rt
08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Nah, this one was going on 12 years old. A year or two ago I was pondering the rods they use to limit corrosion. Never did do anything about that.

The old heater was starting to show signs that it wouldn't shut off. You could hear the water boiling inside (sounded like it anyway and I've never heard that before) and the cold water inlet pipe was getting very hot to the touch. It was starting to seem "dangerous," so -- abandoning my usual practice of allowing things to go into total failure before doing anything, I figured I'd be a bit more pro-active. Never seen a water heater go into thermal meltdown and assume the pressure valve would have worked, but...

XE1/N5AL
08-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Aside from the savings, there's a lot more satisfaction in successfully doing something yourself rather than paying someone else.

I changed out my water heater in 2010. I was going to do it myself, but the plumber only wanted 300 pesos, about $23 U.S., to do the job. It would cost me a lot more than that to buy the necessary tools.

kf0rt
08-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Piezo starters, Pfffft. I use a lighter and a can of hairspray.

I have to do the water heater thing here,too. Had this one for 20 years and we are living on borrowed time. Flushing every few months extended its' life, I'm sure. I was all set to put in a Rannai tankless, but I discovered my propane run is too long, and the pipe is 1/4 to small, so it's back to a regular 40-50 gallon gas unit. I hate plumbing almost as much as I hate painting.

Pretty sure the one I replaced in '00 or '01 was original to the house. That would have made it about 26 years old when replaced. When we bought the place in 1986 (house built in '74), the inspector we hired suggested we replace it immediately; said the bottom was about to fall out. That finally happened, but not until about 15 years later. He was right about the mess it would make, though. That sucked, and it was an "emergency" all the way around.

Furnace here is now 38 years old (original). That's next. If I had the moolah, I'd bulldoze... ah, move someplace else. :lol:

K7SGJ
08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Pretty sure the one I replaced in '00 or '01 was original to the house. That would have made it about 26 years old when replaced. When we bought the place in 1986 (house built in '74), the inspector we hired suggested we replace it immediately; said the bottom was about to fall out. That finally happened, but not until about 15 years later. He was right about the mess it would make, though. That sucked, and it was an "emergency" all the way around.

Furnace here is now 38 years old (original). That's next. If I had the moolah, I'd bulldoze... ah, move someplace else. :lol:

You buy the diesel, and I'll bring the tractor.

kf0rt
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
You buy the diesel, and I'll bring the tractor.

I'll pet your dogs while you run the thing. Free beer when it's done.

K7SGJ
08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I'll pet your dogs while you run the thing. Free beer when it's done.

WOO-HOO

kf0rt
08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
WOO-HOO

I'm kinda lazy like that.

K7SGJ
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm kinda lazy like that.

Yeah, and I lie a little.

kf0rt
08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah, and I lie a little.

Don't matter much if you can look in the mirror and not see ugly. I worry about that sometimes.

On the bright side, got hot water tonight and am not seeing any water leaks nor smelling any gas leaks. Knocking heavily on wood. Next up: mice. Got a "rat bastid" mouse here that is smoking my best (but limited) efforts. Too light to spring a normal trap (just steals the cheese). Thought I'd outsmarted him by baiting a glue trap with cheese. The glue trap caught him, but he struggled free (could be a she for WTF I know). I actually watched this; couldn't believe it. Was SURE I'd nailed the bastidge.

Would be fine if this critter wandered outdoors for the rest of his life, but as long as he's eating my food in my house, I'm a TeaBagger. Reading up on Crosman pellet guns. I've passed up on about three good shots now, but bringing the real pistols out seems dumb.

Fuckin' mice are like bears these days. Parents train 'em for survival.

KG4CGC
08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Have you tried smearing peanut butter on the bait latch on the spring trap? Makes the chance of tripping it greater.

KG4CGC
08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I tried one of those walk in traps made of opaque gray plastic. Mouse walks through trap door which is a ramp. mouse goes to the food, eats and it can only walk up the ramp now which is the trap door.
Mouse stays alive so you can give it as a gift.

kf0rt
08-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Have you tried smearing peanut butter on the bait latch on the spring trap? Makes the chance of tripping it greater.

Actually, that was the first thing I tried. Peanut butter on a small Victor trap. Mouse cleaned it completely, but didn't spring the trap. Next, I tried cheese on the same trap. Smushed it into the works good. Mouse cleaned that, too (ate every bit and never sprung the trap). Bought some glue traps today (these have worked before, but really failed the last time we had mice). Threw some cheese in the middle of one to help. It caught the mouse, but the mouse struggled free and ran off. WTF? I actually watched that and couldn't believe what I saw. Usually the glue traps "just work" once you get the mouse in the glue, but not this time.

Maybe I should re-watch The Green Mile or something. :dunno:

W5GA
08-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Doing the zinc anode in a water heater will GREATLY extend its life. Those anodes are pretty much used up in about 5 years, but don't go looking for one at the big box store. I think you can get them from either McMaster-Carr, MSC or Grainger. The last one I did, I got from my local plumbing supply house. Super easy to change....drain the heater, remove the water goesin line, then unscrew goesin fitting. The anode screws onto the fitting. You'll probably have to tip the water heater unless you have a really high ceiling to get the old one out and the new one in.

KG4CGC
08-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Actually, that was the first thing I tried. Peanut butter on a small Victor trap. Mouse cleaned it completely, but didn't spring the trap. Next, I tried cheese on the same trap. Smushed it into the works good. Mouse cleaned that, too (ate every bit and never sprung the trap). Bought some glue traps today (these have worked before, but really failed the last time we had mice). Threw some cheese in the middle of one to help. It caught the mouse, but the mouse struggled free and ran off. WTF? I actually watched that and couldn't believe what I saw. Usually the glue traps "just work" once you get the mouse in the glue, but not this time.

Maybe I should re-watch The Green Mile or something. :dunno:
Get the file and polishing wheel and make that thing hair trigger.

VK3ZL
08-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Mouse stays alive so you can give it as a gift.[/QUOTE]

When you catch enough of them, skin them and fry in egg and breadcrumbs...Serve with a dash of ketchup..Tasty!! :yum::yum:

Bob..VK3ZL..

K7SGJ
08-14-2012, 07:36 AM
When I was still working, the pest control group had put out a bunch of the glue traps in our area. One morning, I came in and found a cute little kangaroo rat stuck on on. Since we were surrounded by desert,and being soft hearted, I decided to get him loose, and set him free. What a bitch. It took rubbing alcohol, methyl alcohol, and a lot of time, but I finally got him loose. He was soaked in alcohol, but I figured it would dry. I took him to the side of the building, and aimed he towards the desert. It was about 200 feet across blacktop to get to the safety of the desert, and I figured it was a piece of cake for him. So I turned him losse, and he took off like a rocket. I really felt good about saving the life of a small creature. About that time, a big owl swooped down from the west and grabbed the little fucker, and flew him first class to god knows where. It reminded me of the great escape. All I know, is the little bastid was still soaked in alcohol, and if the owl ate him, he probably got one hell of a buzz. It just goes to show, you think you are doing a good deed, and end up fucking someone over instead.

ab1ga
08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
I hate plumbing almost as much as I hate painting.

If that's true, you need to recalibrate; you don't hate painting enough.

W1GUH
08-14-2012, 07:56 AM
"Too light to spring a normal trap (just steals the cheese). "

Keep baitin' it and be patient. Never had a mouse that wouldn't keep coming back for more til eventually he/she gets too rambunctious. Once had an old, fat smart mouse that could get the food without dying. Kept baiting the trap until while that one was dining, another smaller, dumber mouse came to join him. That little bastid spring the trap & I got two-for-one.

Not only do their parents train them for survival, they train them to go out of their way to harass us. I swear, some of the mice I've had here would sit there looking at me til I noticed, as if to taunt me. That's OK - those Victor traps will get 'em every time. I warn them that if they keep comin' round they're gonna die, but to they ever listen? Nope. Always wind up in that great cheese factory in the sky.

Or...the best solution if possible is to get a cat.

W1GUH
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
And don't step on a glue trap barefoot! Well, guess that's better than getting your finger caught in a Victor trap. Haven't done that yet.

ab1ga
08-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Not only do their parents train them for survival, they train them to go out of their way to harass us. I swear, some of the mice I've had here would sit there looking at me til I noticed, as if to taunt me.

Built a shed a while back, and almost immediately noticed chewed up paper, indicating a mouse in residence. Sure enough, one winter afternoon I the the little rat perched on a folded tarp, which now had a hole in it. Being irritated but not outraged, I gave the wee beastie notice, and told him to vacate the premises by 31 March. He raised a paw in salute and disappeared.

Since it was winter, I was thinking more slowly than usual, and only later realized the little pest had given me the finger.

NY3V
08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
When I was still working, the pest control group had put out a bunch of the glue traps in our area. One morning, I came in and found a cute little kangaroo rat stuck on on. Since we were surrounded by desert,and being soft hearted, I decided to get him loose, and set him free. What a bitch. It took rubbing alcohol, methyl alcohol, and a lot of time, but I finally got him loose. He was soaked in alcohol, but I figured it would dry. I took him to the side of the building, and aimed he towards the desert. It was about 200 feet across blacktop to get to the safety of the desert, and I figured it was a piece of cake for him. So I turned him losse, and he took off like a rocket. I really felt good about saving the life of a small creature. About that time, a big owl swooped down from the west and grabbed the little fucker, and flew him first class to god knows where. It reminded me of the great escape. All I know, is the little bastid was still soaked in alcohol, and if the owl ate him, he probably got one hell of a buzz. It just goes to show, you think you are doing a good deed, and end up fucking someone over instead.

W3WN
08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
About 2 months after we bought the house, the hot water tank sprung a leak... from the top. That's one I'd never seen before.

No worries, though, the house came with a 1 year home warranty. Small deductible, but otherwise we're covered... right?

Well, the tank itself was. The labor to install it -- wasn't. Nor was a "new" required-by-code pressure release valve. So it all still cost me about $300 when all was said & done. Still, it was cheaper than buying a new tank by itself.

KG4NEL
08-14-2012, 01:31 PM
"Too light to spring a normal trap (just steals the cheese). "

Keep baitin' it and be patient. Never had a mouse that wouldn't keep coming back for more til eventually he/she gets too rambunctious. Once had an old, fat smart mouse that could get the food without dying. Kept baiting the trap until while that one was dining, another smaller, dumber mouse came to join him. That little bastid spring the trap & I got two-for-one.

Not only do their parents train them for survival, they train them to go out of their way to harass us. I swear, some of the mice I've had here would sit there looking at me til I noticed, as if to taunt me. That's OK - those Victor traps will get 'em every time. I warn them that if they keep comin' round they're gonna die, but to they ever listen? Nope. Always wind up in that great cheese factory in the sky.

Back to back traps with peanut butter and baked Lay's are my secret. If one doesn't get them, they'll step on the other...

n2ize
08-14-2012, 07:15 PM
My friends who dwell in apartments don;t comprehend when i tell them

I have to mow the lawns
clean the garage
clean the basement
wait on a service call
clear the gutters
clean the floors,
take out the trash
etc.

I tell them it is the joys of being a homeowner. They respond, but you own a home so you must be rich enough to have servants or service people to do all the above. Well, maybe a century ago such may have been true but this is the 21st century and as a homeowner we often struggle more than the apartment dwellers. Gone are the days of suburban homeowners with maids, butlers, gardeners, chefs, cooks, etc.

K7SGJ
08-14-2012, 09:12 PM

I have to mow the lawns
clean the garage
clean the basement
wait on a service call
clear the gutters
clean the floors,
take out the trash
etc.

I tell them it is the joys of being a homeowner. They respond, but you own a home so you must be rich enough to have servants or service people to do all the above. Well, maybe a century ago such may have been true but this is the 21st century and as a homeowner we often struggle more than the apartment dwellers. Gone are the days of suburban homeowners with maids, butlers, gardeners, chefs, cooks, etc.

Such is the life of us 99%ers.

NQ6U
08-14-2012, 09:25 PM

I have to mow the lawns
clean the garage
clean the basement
wait on a service call
clear the gutters
clean the floors,
take out the trash
etc.

That's okay. It's hard to find good help nowadays anyhow.

NA4BH
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM
To catch a possum or raccoon, bread, peanut butter, and sprinkle a little shredded cheddar.............. BAM

It's ok, I usually put a few grapes in there for dessert.

n2ize
08-14-2012, 09:57 PM
That's okay. It's hard to find good help nowadays anyhow.

Yeah, but what to do with the vacant servants quarters ?

NQ6U
08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but what to do with the vacant servants quarters ?

Store your money there.

W3WN
08-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah, but what to do with the vacant servants quarters ?New ham shack?

wa6mhz
08-15-2012, 08:17 AM
My water heater was installed in 1970 and still works fine.
They sure don't make them like they used to!

ab1ga
08-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Have you actually turned it on? That might explain the extreme longevity.

kf0rt
08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Have you actually turned it on? That might explain the extreme longevity.

Ha! (Was that hamfest humor?)

n2ize
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Don't matter much if you can look in the mirror and not see ugly. I worry about that sometimes.

On the bright side, got hot water tonight and am not seeing any water leaks nor smelling any gas leaks. Knocking heavily on wood. Next up: mice. Got a "rat bastid" mouse here that is smoking my best (but limited) efforts. Too light to spring a normal trap (just steals the cheese). Thought I'd outsmarted him by baiting a glue trap with cheese. The glue trap caught him, but he struggled free (could be a she for WTF I know). I actually watched this; couldn't believe it. Was SURE I'd nailed the bastidge.

Would be fine if this critter wandered outdoors for the rest of his life, but as long as he's eating my food in my house, I'm a TeaBagger. Reading up on Crosman pellet guns. I've passed up on about three good shots now, but bringing the real pistols out seems dumb.

Fuckin' mice are like bears these days. Parents train 'em for survival.

Think mice are bad ? Try dealing with rats. Not only are they far more destructive they are much smarter than mice. And they enjoy the challenge of defeating a homeowner or a super (i.e. building superintendant).

KG4CGC
08-15-2012, 12:26 PM
There was a documentary or some such nature show, showing how 2 squirrels worked together to get walnuts out of a trick feeder.
The walnuts were placed in a feeder that when the beast sat on on the ledge, the door would open, BUT, they were out of reach. Eventually, he got a squirrel friend to sit on the ledge while he removed walnuts and they took turns on the ledge and getting the walnuts.
There is a video somewhere but preliminary searches turn up nothing.

K7SGJ
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
The pack rats out here are forever eating the wiring in the vehicles if left in one place for very long. And, a few years back, we also had this fucking squirrel that dug a hole of unbelievable proportions under the house slab. We tried everything to catch the little bastard, and finally we did. I had heard if they were turned loose too close to where they were trapped, they could travel long distances to return. Although my wife would turn them loose further and further out, I didn't think it was the same one coming back. So, we trapped it again, and I sprayed a little red spot of paint on his tail prior to release. The release point was a couple miles from the house, with a few small mountains in between. I'll be damned if that little shit didn't turn up a few days later. As usual, he re-dug under the house again, and the pile of ABC was huge. When I finally trapped him again, I ended up taking him to work, and turning him loose in the bosses office before any one else came in. It worked so well, I ended up letting all kinds of things loose in his office including mice, pack rats, and othe assorted little creatures. To my knowledge, none were hurt, but it was a hoot watching everyone trying to chase them outside. Like they say, simple minds have simple pleasures.

NY3V
08-15-2012, 01:49 PM

I bet that was before you bought your house. You're too cheap to have paid to install the Cadillac of water heaters. ;)

n6hcm
08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Nah, this one was going on 12 years old.

mine is more than 30 years old. of course, now that i 've said this ...

W7XF
08-16-2012, 01:04 AM
...I've never had to buy a water heater...I don't own a house...actually banks won't let me own a house... (rat bastids) But I have installed my share of water heaters in my parental's houses...