PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good tomato juice recipe?

W1GUH
08-08-2012, 11:08 PM
I've tried this one. (http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-tomato-juice-40489?scaleto=2&mode=null&st=true) It's good...it grows on me & I sometimes can't stop drinking it but nevertheless it's missing something, don't know what, so I'm still looking for one I like a little better.

I'd attempt homemade V8 juice, but so far the only recipes I've found require a juicer, and those are big $$$$$$.

This is the recipe I got a food mill for. The one I got works very well and I'm looking forward to using it lots. Does a good job pureeing what I've done so far.

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Try about a half dozen drops of Tabasco.

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Sure wish I could -- and maybe soon I can again. For the present I can't do hot stuff -- hurts my mouth too much.

:giggity:

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Sure wish I could -- and maybe soon I can again. For the present I can't do hot stuff -- hurts my mouth too much.

:giggity:

I didn't know about that. Hope you heal soon. However, with the recipe size of 1/2 gallon, I doubt it would increase the Scoville level much, but it might enhance the taste. Maybe if you cut the pepper a scosche, and add a wee bit of Tabasco, it wouldn't be a problem. You might try 3 drops and give it a go. But I guess that's easy for me to say.

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Been thinking along those lines. Fact is, it's not all spicy foods that do it. I'm going to try a jalepeno (or a tiny piece of one) soon. Happily, Wasabi is actually do-able, so...here's hoping!

What does drive it crazy is carbonation.

W1GUH
08-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Tweaked the recipe and it's better. Doubled the onion and celery and increased the sugar to 2 tbsp. That was too much sugar for my tastes, so next time I'll on use one. This, of course, is entirely a matter of individual taste.

The texture came out a lot better, too, but because of my bad with the first batch. Didn't have a food mill then so I tried using a pasta colander. The holes in that were too big and let all the seeds through; that's when I got the food mill to fix it up. This time it was direct to the food mill and the texture came out almost perfect.

And with this batch, it looks like I had seedless tomatoes. There were none. Didn't know that you could get sensimilla tomatioes!

W5GA
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
The texture came out a lot better, too, but because of my bad with the first batch. Didn't have a food mill then so I tried using a pasta colander. The holes in that were too big and let all the seeds through; that's when I got the food mill to fix it up. This time it was direct to the food mill and the texture came out almost perfect.

And with this batch, it looks like I had seedless tomatoes. There were none. Didn't know that you could get sensimilla tomatioes!
Paul, wander into a local antique/flea market type store, and look for a kitchen gadget that looks like a cone with little holes in it. The ones I've seen were about 8-10" tall, and maybe 6" diameter at the big end. Combine that with a pestle and you should be good to go.

W1GUH
08-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Paul, wander into a local antique/flea market type store, and look for a kitchen gadget that looks like a cone with little holes in it. The ones I've seen were about 8-10" tall, and maybe 6" diameter at the big end. Combine that with a pestle and you should be good to go.

Thanks. And while I'm at that local antique/flea market type store, I'll look for that Johnson 500 "junk" that someone wants $25.00 for!

K7SGJ
08-14-2012, 07:40 AM
This is what they look like:

But I think your new crank unit will be a little more efficient.

W1GUH
08-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Hard to say. Takes a lot of cranking and scraping. Not hard, just gets a little tedious.

n2ize
08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
I've tried this one. (http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-tomato-juice-40489?scaleto=2&mode=null&st=true) It's good...it grows on me & I sometimes can't stop drinking it but nevertheless it's missing something, don't know what, so I'm still looking for one I like a little better.

I'd attempt homemade V8 juice, but so far the only recipes I've found require a juicer, and those are big $$$$$$.

This is the recipe I got a food mill for. The one I got works very well and I'm looking forward to using it lots. Does a good job pureeing what I've done so far.
For starters I would use only ripe Italian or Spanish tomatoes. Also, make a vegetable blend . Mostly tomato but a bit of carrot, onion, celery, to your liking. You can even add some pepper for a bit of extra tank iuf you like. A good juicer helps but you can also make it by hand.

W1GUH
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
For starters I would use only ripe Italian or Spanish tomatoes. Also, make a vegetable blend . Mostly tomato but a bit of carrot, onion, celery, to your liking. You can even add some pepper for a bit of extra tank iuf you like. A good juicer helps but you can also make it by hand.

Thanks, John. All your suggestions are under consideration. But before I try tomatoes from furrin lands, I want to get my hands on the best tasting local home-grown tomatoes I can get.

As for additional ingredients, I really want to try that; if I could get a recipe for V8 juice that I can make I'd have already done that. The trouble is, there are certain vegetables (I think) that a food mill just can't handle. For those, you need a power juicer that really costs the $$$$$. I'm still looking for a recipe, tho', with more variety of vegetables in it.

BTW....in all of this I was reminded at more than one website that a tomato is NOT a vegetable. It's a fruit.

K7SGJ
08-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks, John. All your suggestions are under consideration. But before I try tomatoes from furrin lands, I want to get my hands on the best tasting local home-grown tomatoes I can get.

As for additional ingredients, I really want to try that; if I could get a recipe for V8 juice that I can make I'd have already done that. The trouble is, there are certain vegetables (I think) that a food mill just can't handle. For those, you need a power juicer that really costs the $$$$$. I'm still looking for a recipe, tho', with more variety of vegetables in it.

BTW....in all of this I was reminded at more than one website that a tomato is NOT a vegetable. It's a fruit.

So is..................oh shit................never mind.

BTW give this a whirl. You will need a juicer or attachment for your mixer if one is available.

What is great about homemade V8 juice, aside from saving more money in buying the branded ones, is that we become totally aware of what ingredients are used in making the concoction. For a raw v* juice concoction, we will require the following items:
• 6 medium sized carrots
• 1 small beet (washed thoroughly)
• 3 large tomatoes
• 1 red bell pepper
• A bag of baby spinach
• 1 green bell pepper
• ¼ slice of sweet onion
• 3 stalks of celery
• ¼ head of fresh cabbage
• Half clove garlic
• Kale leaves, chili pepper and salt to taste
Once all the ingredients are prepared, we can now place them all in the juicer before adding the salt to add a little taste. Once done then we can already enjoy our very own homemade V8 juice. We can also add Tabasco sauce (optional) in order to enhance its spiciness and can also be substituted with the chili pepper

KG4CGC
08-22-2012, 11:56 PM
When growing fresh tomatoes for making juice, add two tablespoons of teryaki sauce to each gallon of water.
It's a good thing.

W1GUH
08-23-2012, 05:56 AM
So is..................oh shit................never mind.

BTW give this a whirl. You will need a juicer or attachment for your mixer if one is available.

What is great about homemade V8 juice, aside from saving more money in buying the branded ones, is that we become totally aware of what ingredients are used in making the concoction. For a raw v* juice concoction, we will require the following items:
• 6 medium sized carrots
• 1 small beet (washed thoroughly)
• 3 large tomatoes
• 1 red bell pepper
• A bag of baby spinach
• 1 green bell pepper
• ¼ slice of sweet onion
• 3 stalks of celery
• ¼ head of fresh cabbage
• Half clove garlic
• Kale leaves, chili pepper and salt to taste
Once all the ingredients are prepared, we can now place them all in the juicer before adding the salt to add a little taste. Once done then we can already enjoy our very own homemade V8 juice. We can also add Tabasco sauce (optional) in order to enhance its spiciness and can also be substituted with the chili pepper

Yea, that's similar to the recipes I saw. The catch is "...place them all in the juicer..." Um......that's obviously not a citrus juicer -- how the fuck you gonna do carrots and beets in one of those? And the juicer referred to is a bunch of $$$$$. Pity...I'd love to do that recipe, but not at the kind of expense it requires.

K7SGJ
08-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Yea, that's similar to the recipes I saw. The catch is "...place them all in the juicer..." Um......that's obviously not a citrus juicer -- how the fuck you gonna do carrots and beets in one of those? And the juicer referred to is a bunch of $$$$$. Pity...I'd love to do that recipe, but not at the kind of expense it requires.

We have a Vita Mix commercial juicer that my wife's parents gave us 20+ years ago. I can't speak for the quality of today's models, but the one we have will juice a tennis shoe. It sounds like a commercial quality juicer is what would do the job for you. I'd be glad to let you mix up a batch if you want to stop by. Just don't buy your tomatoes till you get here. If they don't rot on the way, Sheriff Joe will take them away from you. The bastid

W1GUH
08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
About noon today would be good for me; but I gotta get back quick because the Tigers are playing an afternoon game. I'll have my pilot get my Lear Jet ready. Cool?

On a little more serious not -- the idea of a juicer is very attractive to me but I'm resisting spending multiple Benjamins. Well, that plus my kitchen may be saturated with gadgets.

K7SGJ
08-23-2012, 09:22 AM
About noon today would be good for me; but I gotta get back quick because the Tigers are playing an afternoon game. I'll have my pilot get my Lear Jet ready. Cool?

Fuck that. Have Adam fly you out in the Citation.

W1GUH
08-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Hello

Guess I could always fly in the Bell Helicopter, too, and the APU could be hooked up to the juicer? No....not fast enough. As for the Citation, I never really liked the color schemes in those planes.

K7SGJ
08-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Hello

Guess I could always fly in the Bell Helicopter, too, and the APU could be hooked up to the juicer? No....not fast enough. As for the Citation, I never really liked the color schemes in those planes.

Well, make a batch on the way and leave the lid off the juicer. Voila'. How does a reddish theme interior sound? After all, it's not your bird, and besides, I'm just sure Adam, with all his $$) has a maid or two that could clean it up.

W1GUH
08-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Unless the maids are busy at other services?