PDA

View Full Version : Maple Mousse with Strawberry Puree recipe...

W1GUH
08-08-2012, 10:59 PM
If you like maple syrup and strawberries....this is an outstanding dessert (http://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking_and_desserts/maple_mousse_with_strawberry_puree.php). Despite the fact that the cooking can look a little dicey from the recipe, it wasn't bad at all & came out perfect the first time. And it's impressively fancy, if you like "fancy" cooking. The Maple and Strawberry combination works wonderfully and creates a really nice flavor. A dessert like this is worthy of espresso and port wine as accompaniments.

Recently got a food mill & now I'm looking for and trying recipes where I can use it.

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 09:00 AM
If you like maple syrup and strawberries....this is an outstanding dessert (http://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking_and_desserts/maple_mousse_with_strawberry_puree.php). Despite the fact that the cooking can look a little dicey from the recipe, it wasn't bad at all & came out perfect the first time. And it's impressively fancy, if you like "fancy" cooking. The Maple and Strawberry combination works wonderfully and creates a really nice flavor. A dessert like this is worthy of espresso and port wine as accompaniments.

Recently got a food mill & now I'm looking for and trying recipes where I can use it.

I've been looking at those for awhile. What brand did you get?

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Oxo (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14398740)

So far it has worked as good as the five star ratings reviews have reported. The only thing that's kind of a pain is you have to keep pushing the stuff that hangs up on the sides down into the business. But that's hardly a complaint.

So far I've liked what I've gotten from Oxo -- also have their mandolin slicer & it's great, too!

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Oxo (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14398740)

So far it has worked as good as the five star ratings reviews have reported. The only thing that's kind of a pain is you have to keep pushing the stuff that hangs up on the sides down into the business. But that's hardly a complaint.

So far I've liked what I've gotten from Oxo -- also have their mandolin slicer & it's great, too!

A few years back, I picked up my Kitchen Aid mandolin at a Costco in San Angelo, Texas as we were passing through. It was only 20 bucks on closeout, has three or four blades, and works like a charm. It usually retails at $70 or so. We do have several products from Oxo, and have never had any issues. As soon as I finish remodeling the kitchen, there will be tons of room for all kinds of new gadgets. Like I need more stuff, but as I'm sure you are aware, it really isn't about "need", it's kinda like radios. But I digress...............

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Yea, I LOVE to cook and there always seems to be some gadget or other necessary to do it right.

One word of caution about slicers. I [almost] took a huge chunk out of my finger when I first started using it. (Well, the extra protein would have improved the dish, I suppose, but...).

My inviolable rule is...

Don't ever use it without the finger guard.

But what a time-saver!

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Yea, I LOVE to cook and there always seems to be some gadget or other necessary to do it right.

One word of caution about slicers. I [almost] took a huge chunk out of my finger when I first started using it. (Well, the extra protein would have improved the dish, I suppose, but...).

My inviolable rule is...

Don't ever use it without the finger guard.

But what a time-saver!

Yes indeedy, I have a lot of fun cooking, too. As far as the slicer goes, I learned my lesson on a grater many years ago. Ouch.

I've been retired about two years now, and ever since I did, we have not bought a single loaf of bread or rolls, or anything in that category. I really like to bake. I also bought a bunch of attachments for the Kitchen Aid mixer. We make our own pasta, grind our own beef, grind rice, oats, and other grains into flour, and stuff like that. It really is a versatile machine. By doing our own ground beef we can control the fat content, and we know there are no fillers. We generally use chuck, and at about 2.99 lb. or less, it's pretty cost effective. Of course you have to buy 15-20 lb. at a whack, but using the vacuum sealer it does last for awhile.

I guess it's all about the creativity. Although a home run is nice, every once in a long while, the pigs get the dinner.

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Yep. And with a meat grinder you can add extra fat for flavor! Recommended right in the grinder instructions.

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Yep. And with a meat grinder you can add extra fat for flavor! Recommended right in the grinder instructions.

I've never done that, although there were a few times I should have. The chuck we now buy yields about an 80/20 mix. I'm just guessing, but it looks pretty close to the 80/20 at the store. Whatever it is, it's pretty consistent and seems like the right balance for what we do.

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Of course, fat is something you might have to buy in baggies on the street. Couldn't figure out where to get it and figured I might be arrested if I asked for it in the super market.