PDA

View Full Version : No 1x2 For You!

W3WN
08-08-2012, 01:49 PM
In today's FCC digest:

MARIO VESNAVER. Denied the Petition for Reconsideration. Action by: Deputy Chief, Mobility Division, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau by LETTER. (DA No. 12-1281). WTB
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-1281A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-1281A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-1281A1.txt

Mr. Vesnaver requested reconsideration of the grant of W6VM to Steven C. Greathouse, on the grounds that Mr. Greathouse, a resident of OH, should not have been granted a 6th district call.
When the Commission adopted the rules for the vanity call sign system, it addressed whether a vanity call sign applicant should be limited to requesting call signs for the region where the licensee resides. The Commission did not adopt such a restriction...So, they're not reconsidering the matter, and it's tough luck, bubby.

N8YX
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
That's my friend Steve (ex-AC6EA) who wanted an 8-area vanity call...was not granted it after repeated attempts...then finally got lucky with his current one.

Mr. Vesnaver is hereby and most cordially invited to go fuck himself.

By the way: Steve is an Island member.

WX7P
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
That's my friend Steve (ex-AC6EA) who wanted an 8-area vanity call...was not granted it after repeated attempts...then finally got lucky with his current one.

Mr. Vesnaver is hereby and most cordially invited to go fuck himself.

By the way: Steve is an Island member.

At the risk of sounding like a huge hypocrite (on this issue) I think we should return to call district discipline AFTER realigning the districts. The only one that should be left alone in the 6th district, the other boundaries need to be changed. The 4th district is WAY too big and 3rd and 8th are too small.

The call sign districts are based on 30's population trends, so they are all askew.

Just sayin'

WØTKX
08-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I hold a my current vanity call for good personal reasons.
I'm happy that it's correct for the old school call districts.

If I moved elsewhere, I'd be conflicted, and might want it changed.
However with online call lookup, it's less of an issue these days.

KJ3N
08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Mr. Vesnaver requested reconsideration of the grant of W6VM to Steven C. Greathouse, on the grounds that Mr. Greathouse, a resident of OH, should not have been granted a 6th district call.

Apparently, someone doesn't know the rules. Moran.... :roll:

PA5COR
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
We can pick our own calls just PD is reserved for the Novice licenses.
PA PB PC PE including number and suffix all free, so i picked the PA5COR call, because it was he first PA with a number free with COR as suffix.
PA0 PA1 PA2 etc all already given out.
Chance of call can be done online, and cost nothing, you will get the paperwork in weeks.

N8YX
08-08-2012, 03:36 PM
At the risk of sounding like a huge hypocrite (on this issue) I think we should return to call district discipline AFTER realigning the districts. The only one that should be left alone in the 6th district, the other boundaries need to be changed. The 4th district is WAY too big and 3rd and 8th are too small.

The call sign districts are based on 30's population trends, so they are all askew.

Just sayin'
You might have a point...and let's go a step farther towards making Extra-class calls available to everybody by severely clamping down on the call-swappers and club-reserved blocks. To the degree that if they hoard excessively they lose their tickets - and perhaps their charter.

One club; one call. Period.

KJ3N
08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I have 2 calls. One for me, another for contesting (club call).

Am I hoarding? :chin:

W1GUH
08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
No 1x2 for you? Mebbe shoulda requested S[zero]UP? S0UP?

N8YX
08-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I have 2 calls. One for me, another for contesting (club call).

Am I hoarding? :chin:
No, but the folks who were blocking off 10+ most certainly are guilty.

W3WN
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
No, but the folks who were blocking off 10+ most certainly are guilty.Yeah.

Don't suppose you know NA8A? He once held 27 club calls. I know he's down to a handful. My favorite is that he's trustee for W3AC on behalf of the WPa DX Association... a club he never belonged to; had no idea that it had a club call; and disbanded roughly 6 years ago.

VE7DCW
08-08-2012, 11:19 PM
In today's FCC digest:

MARIO VESNAVER. Denied the Petition for Reconsideration. Action by: Deputy Chief, Mobility Division, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau by LETTER. (DA No. 12-1281). WTB
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-1281A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-1281A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-1281A1.txt

Mr. Vesnaver requested reconsideration of the grant of W6VM to Steven C. Greathouse, on the grounds that Mr. Greathouse, a resident of OH, should not have been granted a 6th district call. So, they're not reconsidering the matter, and it's tough luck, bubby.

Now there's something that i'm curious about ..... callsigns are issued to areas not associated with the call districts (....for instance a W2 call issued to someone in Indiana) ...... is this applicable within the continental U.S. or if say someone from KH6 land in Hawaii moves to Florida does he have to change callsigns? .... or equally will other people, other than those who live in Hawaii,apply to get a WH6 or KH6 callsign ? :dunno:

The incredible dynamics of U.S. callsign issuance......

WØTKX
08-08-2012, 11:29 PM
You can keep it. A local buddy of mine kept his from Puerto Rico.

I dunno about applying for one outside of the district tho...

KG4NEL
08-09-2012, 12:08 AM
A good friend of mine who started as a KI4 applied for and received a 7-land 2x1.

Arbitrary and capricious? :shifty:

N8YX
08-09-2012, 06:45 AM
There's a bit of back story:

According to what I was told regarding the matter, the two 8-land vanity applications were dismissed because the requesting licensee held a 6-district call. I've no reason to doubt the source at this time so it is what it is.

My friend wanted an 8-area call. It isn't like he "robbed" 6-ville of any; that's squarely on the shoulders of the FCC.

And I still hold the position that the complainant can go pound sand.

KJ3N
08-09-2012, 08:48 AM
You can keep it. A local buddy of mine kept his from Puerto Rico.

I dunno about applying for one outside of the district tho...

To the best of my knowledge, you can request a vanity callsign from any area, except for Alaska, Pacific, and Caribbean areas. The only way for someone to get a KL7, KH6, or KP4 vanity callsign is to have an actual mailing address in those areas.

KB3LAZ
08-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Get the call you are issued and deal with it. Much easier that way. ;)

N8YX
08-09-2012, 09:37 AM
My current one was - as far as I can tell - never issued. I would also have been eligible for an N- series 1x2 at the time I upgrade.

NY3V
08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Darn, K0CK is taken! :lol:

N8YX
08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Darn, K0CK is taken! :lol:
How about KN0B?

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 10:01 AM

In the current state of the world, I guess it doesn't matter to me any more. However, I have always liked the idea of keeping the call you were issued. If you move, or travel into another district, then just add /x to your call. Or if so desired, when you move apply for a district specific call. When first licensed, I got Kn7SGJ, and then K7SGJ as I advanced. Believe me, it isn't a cw friendly call, or phonetically friendly either; but it is mine till I croak. It's just a personal preference for me.

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
How about KN0B?

It doesn't sound "polished".

N8YX
08-09-2012, 10:07 AM
I'd pay big money for the single letter 'W' (Dubya) as a call but that's sure to cause gnashing of teeth in certain circles. :lol:

wa6mhz
08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
I gotta vanity call without even requesting it!

W3WN
08-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Now there's something that i'm curious about ..... callsigns are issued to areas not associated with the call districts (....for instance a W2 call issued to someone in Indiana) ...... is this applicable within the continental U.S. or if say someone from KH6 land in Hawaii moves to Florida does he have to change callsigns? .... or equally will other people, other than those who live in Hawaii,apply to get a WH6 or KH6 callsign ? :dunno:

The incredible dynamics of U.S. callsign issuance......You have no idea.

Prior to March 1978: Your primary call was supposed to reflect your permanent location. If you moved out of district, you got a new call. (Wayne Green W2NSD/1 kept his official mailing address at his mother's home, which is why he wasn't forced to change calls). You could also have secondary calls to cover other locations (ie vacation homes and so forth), or in some cases, as a 1x2 to supplement your original call (I know a few people who did this)

End of March 1978: Current call sign system adopted. Including the revamp of the Caribbean & Pacific prefixes, the call sign allocation blocks, and so on.

Post March 1978: Your initial call is assigned, sequentially, when you are first licensed, based on where you are licensed, your license class, and what the next appropriate sequential call is. "Where" is indicated by your legal mailing address. When you upgrade, you have the option to ask for a new sequential call. When you move out of district, you have the option to ask for a new sequential call. But you are no longer required to change calls. (And no more secondary calls... if you held more than one, on renewal, you had to pick one and give up the rest)

Which is why you have W9UK in PA, NØVLR in OR, KH2D in FL, and on & on & on.

In short, the FCC has done away with call districts except as a pure administrative convenience for assigning calls, either when first issued or on request.

Implementation of the Vanity system has not changed this. The only difference is that you can request an available call, not simply accept the next available sequential call. It does not have to "match" the district in which you live, although you must have an appropriate legal mailing address to get a call in the Alaska, Caribbean, and/or Pacific reserved blocks. But once you get that call, you can keep it. Thus ALØHA in HI.

...do I like this? No. But that's the way it is. It's a mess, it's ugly, it has no logic. It's simply the path of least resistance. The FCC is not going to spend time, effort, resources, or money to change the system at this point in time. They don't care. As long as they can look up your call in the computer, and know where you are, they're content.

W3WN
08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
My current one was - as far as I can tell - never issued. I would also have been eligible for an N- series 1x2 at the time I upgrade.The FCC began reissuing 1x2 calls in the mid-to-late 1960's. Originally, you had to have been an Amateur Extra & licensed for 25 years to get one.

When the available W & K 1x2's ran out, sometime in the mid 1970's, they started issuing the N series 1x2's. My friend Walt N3WS got his during this period of time.

The "N" calls as a whole used to belong outright to the US Navy. (Navy MARS stations used to have N 1x2 & 1x3 calls, I think most were NØ but don't hold me to that).

[I'm excluding the use of the "N" calls on civiiian aircraft in this discussion, since I lack knowledge as to exactly how those were, or for that matter are, allocated]

At some unknown point, the N 1x2 & 1x3 blocks were given (or given back) to the FCC for civilian (ie Amateur service) use.

So it is entirely possible that N8YX was never issued -- to a station in the Amateur Service.

... W3WN was first issued to a gentleman in MD in the late 1920's or early 1930's. He held the call until he became a SK. Someone jumped through some hoops to keep the call out of circulation... it was renewed for a 10 year period about 4 years after the original holder left us; when I got it, it had been vacant for almost 16 years. So I'm only the second holder of the call. [I'm sure that the 3WN call, before the W prefix was in use, was assigned to various stations from the 19 teens & twenties... but that's not QUITE the same thing]

And... the original W3WN wasn't an Extra Class. There were quite a few OT's who held General (Class B/C) or Advanced (Class A) who had been assigned 1x2's by the FCC or it's predeccesors. No real reason... it was just a call, no special significance to it. (I wonder how many of those OT's are still with us these days? Not too many, I'd bet)

KJ3N
08-09-2012, 10:41 AM
To the best of my knowledge, I'm only the second holder of my call. It had been vacant for almost exactly 10 years before I picked it up.

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 10:54 AM
In the current state of the world, I guess it doesn't matter to me any more. However, I have always liked the idea of keeping the call you were issued. If you move, or travel into another district, then just add /x to your call. Or if so desired, when you move apply for a district specific call. When first licensed, I got Kn7SGJ, and then K7SGJ as I advanced. Believe me, it isn't a cw friendly call, or phonetically friendly either; but it is mine till I croak. It's just a personal preference for me.

Phonetically friendly? I came up with at least one (NSFW!) in about a minute! That last word would be Jugs!

Just sayin'...

W5GA
08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
How about KN0B?
A guy in Minneapolis already owns it.

W5GA
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
To the best of my knowledge, I'm only the second holder of my call. It had been vacant for almost exactly 10 years before I picked it up.
Same here. Funny thing is the orginal holder of W5GA only lived about 100 mi. from me here in OK.

KG4NEL
08-09-2012, 12:10 PM

I'm not going to say I'd never get a vanity, but it would have to be one that's never been issued. I'd feel weird about having someone else's call, unless I had known them personally.

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Yea, I get a twinge of resentment when I see that a great old SK's call has been taken over. The good news there is in the the two cases this has happened and I contacted the individual they turned out to be "deserving" of a great old-timers call. Probably most hams are.

OK...."deserving" is way too judgmental a word to use -- any ham of the the proper class is "deserving" of any call he/she can get. But the emotional reaction to seeing what I outlined makes me feel that way til I get over it.

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Yea, I get a twinge of resentment when I see that a great old SK's call has been taken over. The good news there is in the the two cases this has happened and I contacted the individual they turned out to be "deserving" of a great old-timers call. Probably most hams are.

OK...."deserving" is way too judgmental a word to use -- any ham of the the proper class is "deserving" of any call he/she can get. But the emotional reaction to seeing what I outlined makes me feel that way til I get over it.

ANd as we all know, all hams have "class".................not. ;);)

ad4mg
08-10-2012, 06:01 AM
ANd as we all know, all hams have "class".................not. ;);)

No kidding! Wait, let me write that down... :lol:

NA4BH
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
I contacted the guy that snatched up an old neighbors call and gave him a little background as to the original owner.

N8YX
08-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I contacted the guy that snatched up an old neighbors call and gave him a little background as to the original owner.
K4OKA, perhaps? :lol:

NA4BH
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
WW4Q - Bill Henderson

KJ3N
08-10-2012, 03:51 PM
WW4Q - Bill Henderson

Why does that call seem familiar? :chin:

X-Rated
08-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I think it's the "4Q", man.

N7YA
08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
No 1x2 for you? Mebbe shoulda requested S[zero]UP? S0UP?

You know...for a second, i read this as a Southern Sudan station is calling on the DX frequency and the cops are screaming at him to go up....which is weird because (before it was deleted) if a S. Sudan station were calling anywhere, the pileup would forget about who they were calling and would crowd where the S0 was. Unless the DX was a P5.

Ok, back over to you.

N7YA
08-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Oddly enough, i do too. Even though there is no real good reason to feel this way. The new guy may be a very experienced and respected ham who saw a chance to step up to a better call. Maybe its our desire to keep it traditional and such.

N7YA is a vanity, but i got it in '98. The entire N7Yx and N7Xx blocks had been unassigned when i went for it...lucky me. Im the first holder of the call. I have had 3 other calls before this, NL7CT, AB7WY and N7RAP...only the 'RAP call has been reassigned. I figured it would be the last one to go.

WØTKX
08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
I really like mine for personal reasons, with the bonus being the last part has decent phonetics, and rhythm on CW.

Tango Kilo X-Ray, or even the the shorter Tee Kay X-Ray.

Dah Dadidah Dahdididah. That kinda boogies. :monkeydance:

kds
08-10-2012, 09:05 PM
My call was last occupied by a K-12 radio club. I am sure I bring much shame to the call.

W3WN
08-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Oddly enough, i do too. Even though there is no real good reason to feel this way. The new guy may be a very experienced and respected ham who saw a chance to step up to a better call. Maybe its our desire to keep it traditional and such.

N7YA is a vanity, but i got it in '98. The entire N7Yx and N7Xx blocks had been unassigned when i went for it...lucky me. Im the first holder of the call. I have had 3 other calls before this, NL7CT, AB7WY and N7RAP...only the 'RAP call has been reassigned. I figured it would be the last one to go.I think a lot of it depends on the new holder of the call.

I knew Ben Moore N3BM(SK) for many years, I think we were pretty good friends (if you ever see that picture, on eHam, of 9N1MM visiting the Steel City ARC that I'm in, Ben took it). And I was very glad to be able to help his family dispose of his equipment after he passed.

So you can imagine my surprise the day I saw N3BM show up on the cluster, and then some posts here & there from her. 2 years already? Sure enough... but the new holder knows nothing of Ben or his long history, she just liked the call.

I've seen that happen with other calls. Some of the new holders are friends or relatives of the SK. All too many just liked the call, and don't care. (At least I try... and it's not a coincidence that my electronic QSL display includes several of Ed's cards.)

But it's always been this way, even back during the days when the FCC re-issued calls. We simply have to adjust to it.

NQ6U
08-11-2012, 01:06 PM
No big deal. A 1x2 is only 3/4 x 1-3/4 these days anyhow.

XE1/N5AL
08-11-2012, 01:12 PM
No big deal. A 1x2 is only 3/4 x 1-3/4 these days anyhow.
In special circumstances, the FCC should consider handing out a few 2x4's.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/25000000/Hit-in-the-Head-With-a-2x4-south-park-25097943-443-338.png

KJ3N
08-11-2012, 03:16 PM

How about some Clue-By-4's?

NQ6U
08-11-2012, 03:29 PM

KJ3N
08-11-2012, 03:45 PM

Speaking of a Clue-By-4....

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?357324-Ant-Tuner-amp-SWR-Question&p=2623121#post2623121

:doh: :wall: :roll:

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/pics/mp306-05.jpg

N7YA
08-11-2012, 04:53 PM

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/25000000/Hit-in-the-Head-With-a-2x4-south-park-25097943-443-338.png

Heres some calls from my log.....

EI80IRTS
TE75TLS
8J3YAGI
VA7ANTA (also K9A/ANT and N5T/ANT, kinda defeats the short call thing)
XE83IARU
8J750N/7
ON1708M
4A1DXXE
HF12HAITI
8J3SENTO/3 (Yikes!)
VK100WIA
H74LEON
HA25NAR
SO200FCM
4A0IARU
LZ1794MAB (WTF?)
4T1TTMP

I would rather take a 2x4 to the head than send these for 48 hours...or a year, as the case with some. This isnt counting the DX1/2x3/QRP/P contest calls from DX locales, on an island, QRP. Heres a possible call, though unlikely...R1FJ/3DA2012OJZ/QRP/P....imagine sending that!

XE1/N5AL
08-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Heres a possible call, though unlikely...R1FJ/3DA2012OJZ/QRP/P....imagine sending that!

Wow, I think that's also the model number of my refrigerator! :)

VE7DCW
08-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow, I think that's also the model number of my refrigerator! :)

I was thinking more like the serial number of your refrigerator ! :rofl:

K7SGJ
08-11-2012, 09:53 PM
You got a refrigerator? Damn..................

NQ6U
08-11-2012, 09:57 PM
You got a refrigerator? Damn..................

He lives in Canada, eh? His whole country is a refrigerator.

kf0rt
08-11-2012, 10:18 PM
I'd like a 1x2 call, but I'd like to get on the air more, too.

Don't really like the 2x2 call, but like it better than the 2x3 that was assigned to me (WBØAMJ). My brother and his son both have short callsigns (NTØP and WTØN). Been licensed for 42 years now and don't think it really matters much.

VE7DCW
08-11-2012, 11:55 PM
He lives in Canada, eh? His whole country is a refrigerator.

What's with this "eh" stuff? ....... is that how you think Canadians spell "A" .......come on ... :rofl:

.....and "refrigerator" ...i'll have you know it got to 24 degrees Celsius today ....that's 75 degrees Fahrenheit to the uninitiated

Far from being a "refrigerator" ......but, i'll bow to his eminence's respect ...... be good to the pope even if you are'nt catholic

WX7P
08-12-2012, 02:45 AM
What's with this "eh" stuff? ....... is that how you think Canadians spell "A" .......come on ... :rofl:

.....and "refrigerator" ...i'll have you know it got to 24 degrees Celsius today ....that's 75 degrees Fahrenheit to the uninitiated

Far from being a "refrigerator" ......but, i'll bow to his eminence's respect ...... be good to the pope even if you are'nt catholic

I don't care what Il Papa thinks.

I think BC rules.

Bring on the Okanagan cider, baby!

N7YA
08-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Back bacon, dont forget the back bacon!

NQ6U
08-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Just yankin' yer chain a little bit, Gerry. I love Vancouver and all of BC. I've even given some serious thought to moving there permanently.

VE7DCW
08-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Just yankin' yer chain a little bit, Gerry. I love Vancouver and all of BC. I've even given some serious thought to moving there permanently.

Yeah .... I know ....i'm having fun here too .... but I could think of worse places to move to .... :-D

K7SGJ
08-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Hide the pointy hat prior to the border station, or they'll throw you back across the border. Probably somewhere in Minnesota.

W6VM
08-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Hey John, wow I just found about this at the ham fest this morning up at the falls tail gate.
oh well looks like w6ex was mad at me. hey aint that a vanity call. i should see if he wants to trade i like that for cw.

kb2vxa
08-12-2012, 05:34 PM
The pointy hat isn't a problem, hiding pointy ears in summer with a wool knit cap tends to raise a policeman's suspicion. He won't believe the story about born in China and getting them caught in a mechanical rice picker.

NQ6U
08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Let's just say that it wasn't my ears that got caught in that mechanical rice picker and leave it at that, okay?

—Pope Carlo I

VE7DCW
08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Let's just say that it wasn't my ears that got caught in that mechanical rice picker and leave it at that, okay?

—Pope Carlo I

We will not mention it again ......your eminence .... :mrgreen:

" .... whatever you say .... just don't mention the war...." *

*( from that famous Fawlty Towers german tourist episode ..... John Cleese was fantastic! )

K7SGJ
08-13-2012, 08:41 AM

—Pope Carlo I

So, now you have a rice pecker?

W3WN
08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey John, wow I just found about this at the ham fest this morning up at the falls tail gate.
oh well looks like w6ex was mad at me. hey aint that a vanity call. i should see if he wants to trade i like that for cw.Don't sweat the small stuff.

And welcome to the Island! Let the barkeep know that your first drink goes on my tab.

KJ3N
08-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Let the barkeep know that your first drink goes on my tab.

You cuttin' in on Da Pope's action?

W3WN
08-13-2012, 12:13 PM
You cuttin' in on Da Pope's action?Never.

I always defer to a man who can stop on a dime... especially when it's in my pocket.

kb2vxa
08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
"You cuttin' in on Da Pope's action?"

Not if ya know what's good fur ya Koik!

WX7P
08-13-2012, 04:11 PM
"You cuttin' in on Da Pope's action?"

Not if ya know what's good fur ya Koik!

EVERYONE wants a "Piece of the Action", Warren.

K7SGJ
08-13-2012, 04:17 PM
I don't know what the big deal about is a 1x2 . They are great for furring out a wall, but when it comes to ham radio, there are many deserving of a 2x4.

kb2vxa
08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
"...but when it comes to ham radio, there are many deserving of a 2x4."

Plain or with spikes?

K7SGJ
08-13-2012, 08:44 PM
"...but when it comes to ham radio, there are many deserving of a 2x4."

Plain or with spikes?

Every case should be judged individually.

N8YX
08-15-2012, 06:55 AM
You'll have to move Down Under for a 2x4, and theirs are only good for Foundations.

X-Rated
08-15-2012, 09:15 AM
I always thought it would be cool if the Feds would issue callsigns with digits in the prefix.

"K41ZON wireless de K54CAR. Can you hear me now?
"K54CAR de K41ZON wireless. Where are you?

W3WN
08-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I always thought it would be cool if the Feds would issue callsigns with digits in the prefix.

"K41ZON wireless de K54CAR. Can you hear me now?
"K54CAR de K41ZON wireless. Where are you?Who's on first?

XE1/N5AL
08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
One day, ham callsigns will be like social security numbers: due to privacy concerns, you won't want to be sharing yours with others! :shock:

X-Rated
08-15-2012, 01:27 PM
One day, ham callsigns will be like social security numbers: due to privacy concerns, you won't want to be sharing yours with others! :shock:

Other Station: What's your suffix? Please send phonetically.
You: You Don't Know.

N7YA
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
We will all be digital stations, so we can have encryption in place...for protection. Pin numbers and such. No pin, no report.

kb2vxa
08-15-2012, 04:56 PM
K54CAR? I hear WØTKX is looking for a vanity call...

WV6Z
09-10-2012, 07:38 AM
You might have a point...and let's go a step farther towards making Extra-class calls available to everybody by severely clamping down on the call-swappers and club-reserved blocks. To the degree that if they hoard excessively they lose their tickets - and perhaps their charter.

One club; one call. Period.

Agreed 100%.....oh, and greetings from Six-Land...... 606 Blossom Branch Road, that is. ;)

X-Rated
09-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Agreed 100%.....oh, and greetings from Six-Land...... 606 Blossom Branch Road, that is. ;)

You fiend, you. I would never hold a callsign outside my call district.

1996 WB5L EXTRA --- SHIRAR ., JERRY L 1220 E 1600 RD, LAWRENCE, KS 66046 07/28/94 01/05/03

Oooops.

N7YA
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
When we move to 1-land, i am afraid to give up my current call. May just sign "/1" forever more.

W3WN
09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
When we move to 1-land, i am afraid to give up my current call. May just sign "/1" forever more.Well, at least see if N1YA is available, at the time. You never know...

X-Rated
09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Well, at least see if N1YA is available, at the time. You never know...

As of last year, people are paying $25 to see N1YA's garden. http://www.chambermaster.com/directory/jsp/events/EventPage.jsp?ccid=1111&eventid=1511

Sounds like he is pretty healthy.

W3WN
09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
As of last year, people are paying $25 to see N1YA's garden. http://www.chambermaster.com/directory/jsp/events/EventPage.jsp?ccid=1111&eventid=1511

Sounds like he is pretty healthy.I see that. And W1YA is a club call, K1YA is also assigned. As is NY1A.

NN1YA?

X-Rated
09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Maybe he could get a series of calls. N1YA N1YA N1YA N1YA N1YA. (sung to the tune Nya nya nya nya nya.)

N7YA
09-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Maybe he could get a series of calls. N1YA N1YA N1YA N1YA N1YA. (sung to the tune Nya nya nya nya nya.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZ7oFKsKzY

X-Rated
09-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Oh my eyes and ears. Pain Pain.

W3WN
09-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Oh my eyes and ears. Pain Pain.De plane? See Tatoo.

And Fineas & Pherb.

De Palin? See Alaska. Better yet, if you see her, run; she's armed & dangerous.

kb2vxa
09-11-2012, 10:40 PM
N1YA N1YA N1YA N1YA N1YA

"Get your ya yas out."
Blind Boy Fuller, adapted by the Rolling Stones. Then there's sittin' in la la waitin' for my ya ya uum, uum. It may sound funny but I don't believe she's comin', uuh.

n2ize
09-12-2012, 05:19 AM

There are certain calls that should be permanently retired. Just as certain baseball teams have retired the numbers of some of their greatest players. Nobody can ever stand in their shoes.

N7YA
09-12-2012, 06:04 AM
There are certain calls that should be permanently retired. Just as certain baseball teams have retired the numbers of some of their greatest players. Nobody can ever stand in their shoes.

Aw shucks, why thank you, John! :-D

W3WN
09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
There are certain calls that should be permanently retired. Just as certain baseball teams have retired the numbers of some of their greatest players. Nobody can ever stand in their shoes.While I agree in principle, that won't happen.

The FCC will reissue calls as it sees fit. IIRC, the only calls it currently won't reissue are the 3 letter calls once assigned to AM broadcasters... although if the current owner of a former holder of the call requests, they may get the legacy call back. (Or may not)... since 3 letter calls are now associated with ship-to-shore stations, and broadcasters get 4 letter calls (and yes, I'm not allowing for -FM -TV -HD etc. tack-ons)

All too often, the new holder is not neccesarily deserving. For example: Remember when there was a group looking into getting Shep's call for one of the Museums of Broadcasting? Seemed like within a few days of the news announcement, someone picked up the K2ORS call under vanity. At least it was someone who was a fan of Shep's, but it always struck me as odd timing.

kb2vxa
09-12-2012, 11:33 PM
I never considered picking up Shep's call, I could never do it justice. I was a bit surprised to learn someone had but as far as I'm concerned there was only one Shep and there will never be another.

Excelsior you fathead!

N7YA
09-13-2012, 04:36 AM
John has a point...who the hell would want K1MAN? Or AF6LJ?

And when is that Hiram guy going to die, i got my eye on that W1AW call.

X-Rated
09-13-2012, 03:10 PM
John has a point...who the hell would want K1MAN? Or AF6LJ?

And when is that Hiram guy going to die, i got my eye on that W1AW call.

I'm waiting for that assole N9XR to die and get that callsign.

N7YA
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
I think everyone is waiting for the Nyan cat video to die.

NN3W
09-14-2012, 12:30 PM
I think a lot of it depends on the new holder of the call.

I knew Ben Moore N3BM(SK) for many years, I think we were pretty good friends (if you ever see that picture, on eHam, of 9N1MM visiting the Steel City ARC that I'm in, Ben took it). And I was very glad to be able to help his family dispose of his equipment after he passed.

So you can imagine my surprise the day I saw N3BM show up on the cluster, and then some posts here & there from her. 2 years already? Sure enough... but the new holder knows nothing of Ben or his long history, she just liked the call.

N3BM is a he. If he heard you call him a "she", he might just drive up and kill you - given that he was a Navy SEAL.

W3WN
09-14-2012, 02:02 PM
N3BM is a he. If he heard you call him a "she", he might just drive up and kill you - given that he was a Navy SEAL.
7250I thought "Aubrey" was a YL name. If that is not the case, then I was mistaken and I most humbly apologize.

NN3W
09-14-2012, 02:03 PM
7250I thought "Aubrey" was a YL name. If that is not the case, then I was mistaken and I most humbly apologize.

I was going to call him and ride up with him so that I could watch your dismemberment, but realized that I'm busy tomorrow. Consider yourself lucky.

Aubrey Fitch might come out of his grave to kill you too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_Fitch

W3WN
09-14-2012, 02:08 PM
I was going to call him and ride up with him so that I could watch your dismemberment, but realized that I'm busy tomorrow. Consider yourself lucky.

Aubrey Fitch might come out of his grave to kill you too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_FitchNow that's interesting. Wonder why that 2nd line isn't showing on the original post as I see it, but is on the reply?

And you'll have to wait. He dismembers me before I'm finished building this deck, and the wife will dismember him.

kb2vxa
09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for saving us the effort. Don't bother cooking yourselves, we like you raw.

KB3LAZ
09-20-2012, 09:47 AM
My aunts name is Aubrey.

X-Rated
09-20-2012, 10:00 AM
My aunts name is Aubrey.
I went to school with a guy named Aubrey... Steve Aubrey.

WX7P
09-20-2012, 12:11 PM
My bud from Texas when I worked for the now defunct American States Insurance was Aubrey Williams.

Yes, Aubrey was a guy.

X-Rated
09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwdTcoUHfkw&noredirect=1

N7YA
09-20-2012, 04:46 PM
My aunts name is Aubrey.

Careful! She may come and break your goddamn legs for calling her that!! :lol: