PDA

View Full Version : Something for whacker in all of us....

W1GUH
08-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Just found this site about the FEMA HQ in Maynard, MA. (http://coldwar-ct.com/FEMA_Regional_HQ_Maynard.html) Now THERE's a Field Day site!

Looked for a pic of a GPT-750, but the station has obviously been updated. Wonder who the lucky so-and-so was that got that!

Can't you just see a bunch of whackers sitting around that conference table?

NA4BH
08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
We have a "Bunker" about a mile from here. Nobody gets past the front desk, that is if they let you in the door. I got to take a look once, very nice stuff.

NQ6U
08-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I covet that monster log-periodic HF antenna.

ki4itv
08-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Not to protect the "users" but
to prevent broken pipes when the facility is hit by the shock wave from an earth
quake or nearby nuclear detonation.

I like how "nearby nuclear detonation" just kind of rolls off their tongue like it's no big deal.
Looks like a ton of money in that hole. No wonder we're fucking broke.

KK4AMI
08-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I like how "nearby nuclear detonation" just kind of rolls off their tongue like it's no big deal.

How long are those antennas going to stand up in a nuclear explosion? Seems like they would come down pretty easy, then that little hole in the ground becomes just a safe haven for Politicians to hide. I guess they could send the loser of the draw outside with a 100 ft wire and coax. Who are we going to talk to and what do we say?

PA5COR
08-06-2012, 06:39 AM
We had such a bunker 100 feet deep in the ground, saw it build as schoolkid, with housing for 250 people mostly our beloved politicians and their ilk, and some first aid stuff, large antenna mast of 150 feet high, now used for cell phone and ocal Fm radio station.
The bunker is in use as playground for local bands, and groups now.

Cost a bundle, now all more or less wasted cold war stuff.
We have a military airfield in Leeuwarden 20 miles away, must have been the reason it was build.
We just got the "duck and cover" routine here in school, as if that would have helped ;)

KB3LAZ
08-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Something no whacker should be without.

ab1ga
08-06-2012, 10:43 AM

They also have a sizeable HF spiral conical monopole, which I'm going to try to have to model someday.

When I was visiting there the comms facility was run by W1OJ, who at one point had a habit of linking repeaters across New England. A very fine gentleman, who the last I heard was fighting throat cancer or something like that.

KG4CGC
08-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Something no whacker should be without.
J-lube from the feed & seed or farm store. Much better product. K&Y is a rip off, maan.

NY3V
08-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Monkey Dung

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials/heating-venting-cooling/gardner-bender/1-pound-10pack-plugs-duct-seal-compound-66138.html

KB3LAZ
08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
J-lube from the feed & seed or farm store. Much better product. K&Y is a rip off, maan.

Wouldnt know. I will get back to you on that in 15-20 years.

KG4CGC
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Wouldnt know. I will get back to you on that in 15-20 years.

It is a powder you mix yourself. Looks like KY but doesn't dry out like KY. Still water soluble and safe for humans. Big seller at feed and seeds near college campuses.

kf0rt
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
It is a powder you mix yourself. Looks like KY but doesn't dry out like KY. Still water soluble and safe for humans. Big seller at feed and seeds near college campuses.

http://www.amazon.com/J-Lube-Powder-Mix-Water-Lubricant/dp/B006G2S17A

"Makes Approx. 6-8 Gallons"

I'm afraid that's way outta my league.

KB3LAZ
08-06-2012, 01:18 PM
http://www.amazon.com/J-Lube-Powder-Mix-Water-Lubricant/dp/B006G2S17A

"Makes Approx. 6-8 Gallons"

I'm afraid that's way outta my league.

That is a lot of sex lube. That is for body greasing or something.

NY3V
08-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Isn't that used by vets to do elephant colonoscopies? :)

KG4CGC
08-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Well, uh, guys. You don't mix it all up at once. LOL! Silly ham ops. J-Lube's for kicks!

K7SGJ
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Man o man. If you have to leave KY on until it drys out then.........then.............Holy shit, that stuff stays in a gel form for months. I use it to lube the loader on my tractor. ;););)

W1GUH
08-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Imagining what you then did to the "loader on [your] tractor." Kinky!

KG4CGC
08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Bartenders know about, "these" things.

NA4BH
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
In 15-20 years he won't be worried about KY or the likes, he'll be hunting Popsicle sticks to prop the thing up.

W5GA
08-07-2012, 12:15 AM

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=30556

NA4BH
08-07-2012, 12:22 AM

Don't you hate it when they do that? I actually got to help work on an elephant once. He had a cut foot and needed stitches. Them things are BIG.

This elephant was famous. He had a medical article written about him when he was neutered.

XE1/N5AL
08-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Wow, the video says that happened here in Guadalajara. I wonder if the lad knows that Wisk laundry detergent gets rid of "ring around the collar"?

XE1/N5AL
08-07-2012, 01:30 AM
He had a medical article written about him when he was neutered.
Reminded me of that job opening at the zoo circumcising elephants: the pay is low, but the tips are ENORMOUS! (I know, it's an old joke; but I couldn't resist.)

KB3LAZ
08-07-2012, 05:44 AM
In 15-20 years he won't be worried about KY or the likes, he'll be hunting Popsicle sticks to prop the thing up.

I doubt that. :P maybe in 30 years.

KG4NEL
08-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Virginia has more than its fair share of SCIFs and bunkers...I've been in a few :mrgreen:

W5GA
08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Virginia has more than its fair share of SCIFs and bunkers...I've been in a few :mrgreen:
THIS is a "bunker retreat".
http://www.missilebases.com/

W1GUH
08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
You can get a great tour of a Titan missile site at the Titan Missile Museum (http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/index.php?pg=1) south of Tucson. There are great interpretive exhibits of the missiles and the fire control and fueling systems and the tour includes a simulated launch from the control room. It's all engagingly fascinating. I had loads of fun photographing all the stuff that had been very classified.

There's also an HF discone antenna there that I understand can be used by hams with prior arrangements. Pity I didn't have a radio when I visited.

I didn't see any HF radio equipment and when I asked the tour guide his answer was that it was stored away somewhere amidst a mess of other stuff. Wish I would have pressed him to take a look.

KG4NEL
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Hey now, don't talk about my date that way...

kb2vxa
08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
The best time for the Ruskies to bomb us would have been at noon on Saturday when the sirens were going off. This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. Had this been an actual emergency you would have died a millisecond into the tone. When you see the flash it's too late to duck and cover, you're vaporized. Then there's this bit of hardware, about as useful as vaporized antennas.

W1GUH
08-07-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.dpvintageposters.com/cgi-local/db_images/posters/cache/2469-image-450-550-fit.jpg

kds
08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlE1BdOAfVc

W3WN
08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.dpvintageposters.com/cgi-local/db_images/posters/cache/2469-image-450-550-fit.jpgThanks!

I actually have that poster. Bought it in Greenwich Village back in the early 1970's. Battered, especially around the edges, but it's rolled up in the garage waiting for future, ah, deployment...

K7SGJ
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
The best time for the Ruskies to bomb us would have been at noon on Saturday when the sirens were going off. This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. Had this been an actual emergency you would have died a millisecond into the tone. When you see the flash it's too late to duck and cover, you're vaporized. Then there's this bit of hardware, about as useful as vaporized antennas.

We always called it the 12 O'clock whistle. The only working one that I know of around here anymore is at the Nuke plant south of Phoenix.

W1GUH
08-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks!

I actually have that poster. Bought it in Greenwich Village back in the early 1970's. Battered, especially around the edges, but it's rolled up in the garage waiting for future, ah, deployment...

Mmmmm...the Village in the 70's. Did you by any chance get that poster in a shop called the Night Owl? It seems like something they would have had. That had lots of posters and also great T-shirts from "The Lotus Shop."

My favorite poster of all time came from there. It was a poster full of Disney characters in X-rated activities. It was hilarious! Then I lost it and never found another copy.

K7SGJ
08-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Mmmmm...the Village in the 70's. Did you by any chance get that poster in a shop called the Night Owl? It seems like something they would have had. That had lots of posters and also great T-shirts from "The Lotus Shop."

My favorite poster of all time came from there. It was a poster full of Disney characters in X-rated activities. It was hilarious! Then I lost it and never found another copy.

I don't have the poster, but I still have the "Donald Duck" outfit I wore to the shoot.

W5GA
08-08-2012, 09:44 PM
We always called it the 12 O'clock whistle. The only working one that I know of around here anymore is at the Nuke plant south of Phoenix.
They're all over the midwest...called tornado sirens now.

ki4itv
08-08-2012, 11:09 PM
They're all over the midwest...called tornado sirens now.
Had them in my home town.. usually a yellow horn on it's own pole.
God forbid a tornado ever come through town at Noon on Saturday, we were all conditioned to ignore that one. Other than checking to see if the clocks in the house were set right.

W1GUH
08-08-2012, 11:15 PM
We had a huge diesel-driven siren on top of the tallest building in the city -- all of 13 stories! There was major hoopla when it went into operation. But it didn't seem to make much sense. It was hard to hear were we lived -- ya had to be outside and listen carefully -- and smaller distributed sirens would have been much more effective. It hardly covered the range of a "nucular" weapon. As if where we lived would have been a target anyway. But...that was the cold war and there were major $$$$ to be made off of it.

If you listened very, very carefully, you could sometimes pick out the message:

"Kiss your ass goodbye"

kf0rt
08-09-2012, 06:49 AM
We have those here. They test them once every 10 years or so and during the test, everyone looks around and says "WTF is THAT?"

There used to be monthly tests in the 60's, but back then they called it "duck and cover." Like hiding under your school desk would make a difference... Same sirens, I do believe.

I picture a need during a tornado where nobody can find the key to the on-off switch.

PA5COR
08-09-2012, 09:20 AM
You can find the sirens here over the whole place forr warnings of public interest as they say, tested every 1sst day of the month at 13.00 hours...Bloody nuisance they are...

W1GUH
08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
The memories that are coming back....

When I was in kindergarten (That would be '52-53) we had regular air raid drills that we all knew and loved. We had one drill and then there was a rumor in the hallways that there was going to be "another one tomorrow" and that it would be "for real this time." Scared me so much that I stayed home that day! (Now, all these years later I wonder how I got away with that!)

That cost me dearly. That day we started a neat thing in class (well, at least for a train lover which I already was by then). We started a regular project of each time making another part of a train from construction paper. That day they made steam engines -- heard about that at a birthday party that afternoon. So I missed out on that.

Those air raid drills stopped abruptly by the time I was in the 1st grade. They probably figured out that they didn't do a damn bit of good anyway, OR, and maybe more probably, those air raid drills were from WW II with conventional bombing runs, and that was pretty obsolete by '53. Anyway, fire drills were more fun. We got to go outside.

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 03:39 PM

When I was in kindergarten (That would be '52-53) we had regular air raid drills that we all knew and loved. We had one drill and then there was a rumor in the hallways that there was going to be "another one tomorrow" and that it would be "for real this time." Scared me so much that I stayed home that day! (Now, all these years later I wonder how I got away with that!)

That cost me dearly. That day we started a neat thing in class (well, at least for a train lover which I already was by then). We started a regular project of each time making another part of a train from construction paper. That day they made steam engines -- heard about that at a birthday party that afternoon. So I missed out on that.

Those air raid drills stopped abruptly by the time I was in the 1st grade. They probably figured out that they didn't do a damn bit of good anyway, OR, and maybe more probably, those air raid drills were from WW II with conventional bombing runs, and that was pretty obsolete by '53. Anyway, fire drills were more fun. We got to go outside.

And smoke?

kb2vxa
08-09-2012, 07:08 PM
"We had a huge diesel-driven siren on top of the tallest building in the city -- all of 13 stories!"

I know the one you're thinking of, the Victory Siren. The engine used in the Cold War model Chrysler Air Raid Siren is virtually the same 331 Hemi FirePower engine used in 1951, 1952 and 1953 Chrysler cars like the Saratoga, New Yorker and Imperial. If you couldn't hear this BMF you were several towns away behind it or deaf! This is the one atop the Federal Building in LA 1955.

K7SGJ
08-09-2012, 07:14 PM
"We had a huge diesel-driven siren on top of the tallest building in the city -- all of 13 stories!"

I know the one you're thinking of, the Victory Siren. The engine used in the Cold War model Chrysler Air Raid Siren is virtually the same 331 Hemi FirePower engine used in 1951, 1952 and 1953 Chrysler cars like the Saratoga, New Yorker and Imperial. If you couldn't hear this BMF you were several towns away behind it or deaf! This is the one atop the Federal Building in LA 1955.

Holy cow. I haven't ever seen an air raid siren that huge. I guess you'll never see one of those pole mounted.

ab1ga
08-10-2012, 07:30 AM

You might like this:

http://youtu.be/5Krv4YEMwCE

PA5COR
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Hah, we can do better = much smaller...
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4sb1HB4E3wqeyy0eW9d1CpJY04H5uz Sbp492hmJtrXRPRMam-Fw

X-Rated
08-10-2012, 02:23 PM
With the right amount of fiber, I can easily dump a monster log periodically.

kb2vxa
08-10-2012, 06:38 PM
"I guess you'll never see one of those pole mounted."

Don't bet on it. Here's the one in the Phinney Ridge neighborhood of Seattle that caused ear bleed after it was installed in 1953. Thankfully it's no longer in working order.

W1GUH
08-10-2012, 06:47 PM
And smoke?

Oh, yea. What a concept!

W1GUH
08-10-2012, 06:57 PM
vxa:

I know the one you're thinking of, the Victory Siren.

Thanks! (Wow...the things you can learn here on the Island!)

Sure could be --- but a Chrysler siren in a GM town? Shame on the town fathers for that!

Thanks!

I lived about 1.5 miles from it and it wasn't overwhelming by any means and IIRC, you really couldn't hear it inside with windows closed.

W1GUH
08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
CD had come to some sort of senses by '80. During the tensions with the USSR over Afghanistan I took the time to get up to date on the arms race and what I learned was frightening. The primary thing that I learned is that our troops now had tactical battleground nuclear weapons (as if there ever could be such a thing as a "tactical" nuclear weapon). Then I realized how long it had been since I'd seen one of those yellow and black fallout shelter sighs. So I called the local CD office and learned that they'd figured out how useless those would have been in the event of an actual attack and didn't really have anything in place anymore.

ronnie fixed that. His commission had a plan in place to change people's addresses with the Post Office after being displaced by nuclear war.

kb2vxa
08-11-2012, 11:04 AM
"Thanks! (Wow...the things you can learn here on the Island!)"
Google is your friend. (;->)

"Sure could be --- but a Chrysler siren in a GM town? Shame on the town fathers for that!"
GM never made air raid sirens and Chrysler never made locomotives.

"I lived about 1.5 miles from it and it wasn't overwhelming by any means and IIRC, you really couldn't hear it inside with windows closed."
Notice the horns, like loudspeaker horns and microwave horns they're quite directional. If you lived in the beam path, at that distance you couldn't miss it.

"The primary thing that I learned is that our troops now had tactical battleground nuclear weapons (as if there ever could be such a thing as a "tactical" nuclear weapon)."
You missed something, in 1949 Picatinny Arsenal (NJ) was assigned development of the M-65 atomic cannon aka Atomic Annie, in 1953 it was successfully tested at the Nevada Test Site firing a 15kt shell 7 miles and in the same year a demonstrator was paraded at Ike's inauguration. At least 20 of them were manufactured and deployed to Europe and Korea, although soon obsolete they weren't decommissioned until 1963. "Meanwhile tactical nuclear missiles were deployed all over the place so from 1953 onward they've been around." said Castro with a grin.

"Then I realized how long it had been since I'd seen one of those yellow and black fallout shelter sighs."
Yeah, I sighed every time I passed one knowing full well not a one was an actual shelter equipped with anything needed for survival. What do you do when the lights go out, the water stops flowing and there's nothing to eat, not even a place to poo?

"ronnie fixed that. His commission had a plan in place to change people's addresses with the Post Office after being displaced by nuclear war."
Yeah, da gubmint knew where those 43 leftover WW2 interment camps were and still are, now there are many times more with FEMA signs on them. More appropriately American Gulag but then refugees wouldn't go willingly if they know the truth. Oh, in case you don't give a listen to Zappa's Concentration Moon and if you can find the long out of print album Roscoe's Night At Santa Rita.