PDA

View Full Version : In China, the rich and powerful can hire body doubles to do their prison time.

NY3V
08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
I guess they consider it Free Speech. :shock:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2012/08/china_s_wealthy_and_influential_sometimes_hire_bod y_doubles_to_serve_their_prison_sentences.html?goo gle_editors_picks=true

NQ6U
08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
What's the big deal. The rich and powerful here in the U.S. get the middle class to pay their taxes for them.

NY3V
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Which is worse?

1. Taxation without Representation.

Or

2. Representation without Taxation.

???

kb2vxa
08-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Taxation without representation is our way of life and I cannot conceive of representation without taxation. Without a comparison I have no answer. The filthy rich have representation without taxation and cannot conceive of taxation without representation. I submit to the fact your question cannot be answered even with a good dose of LSD.

ad4mg
08-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Here in 'murica, the rich and powerful buy their way out of prison time. Our courts practice class warfare all the time. Our politicians lie all the time. We're #1. :squint:

KC2UGV
08-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Taxation without representation is our way of life

No it isn't. The problem we have is that only about 30% of our population votes, and from there, only 16% decides the course of the nation. And it has naught to do with "the man keeping us down", but with apathy of the voters.

NY3V
08-05-2012, 10:20 AM
..it has naught to do with "the man keeping us down", but with apathy of the voters.

And why, pray tell, would the Non-voters be Apathetic?

Could it be because they feel disenfranchised by Voter Suppression and their so-called Representatives in Congress, who vote against their best interests???

KC2UGV
08-05-2012, 11:23 AM
And why, pray tell, would the Non-voters be Apathetic?

Could it be because they feel disenfranchised by Voter Suppression and their so-called Representatives in Congress, who vote against their best interests???

Because we have a media machine pounding in the message,"Your vote doesn't count" and "Your one vote can't change a thing".

Who put those people in Congress? The 15% of voters.

The Non-voters have nobody to blame but their own laziness. They allowed the disenfranchisement to happen, due to to their inaction.

n2ize
08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
The Non-voters have nobody to blame but their own laziness. They allowed the disenfranchisement to happen, due to to their inaction.

I don't vote because I think its a waste of my time. Nothing is going to change by voting. Both parties are bought and paid for and cash is what does the talking. Besides, civilization is always going to be corrupt. It's a part of human nature to seek wealth, power, and materialism over pure aesthetic values. It's been that way since ancient times. My vote isn't going to change human nature. Even revolutions aren't going to change it. Eventually whoever takes over is gonna be just as greedy and materialistic as the ones he replaced.

kb2vxa
08-05-2012, 11:09 PM
"No it isn't. The problem we have is that only about 30% of our population votes, and from there, only 16% decides the course of the nation."

You really don't get it and neither do the rest who took this thread WAY off track. We the people (ahem) are taxed but not represented in government. Sure "they" represent their constituents but they're not US.

Clue...

NA4BH
08-05-2012, 11:18 PM
It's fun when they do get caught (http://www.news4jax.com/news/Former-Alabama-governor-gets-6-years/-/475880/15963838/-/3s2yug/-/index.html)

KC2UGV
08-06-2012, 05:26 AM
"No it isn't. The problem we have is that only about 30% of our population votes, and from there, only 16% decides the course of the nation."

You really don't get it and neither do the rest who took this thread WAY off track. We the people (ahem) are taxed but not represented in government. Sure "they" represent their constituents but they're not US.

Clue...

Right. Their constituents are the 15% that voted them in, not the over 70% of Americans that stays home and doesn't vote.