PDA

View Full Version : A Homecoming Surprise (aka Water Water Everywhere)

n2ize
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Had a really nice surprise today. I came home and unlocked the door, stepped inside, and was greeted by a hissing sound coming from the kitchen area. Turned on the light and viola' the kitchen floor covered in water. Turns out the water hose that runs the ice maker and cold water dispenser in the fridge ruptured and started gushing water all over the place. Shut the valve and so began the glorious cleanup. (and just when my servants are all off duty :)... just kidding. In any event what a pain in the ass. I always has a bad feeling about automatic ice makers. After this I might go back to the old fashioned ice tray.

ki4itv
08-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Moving air. You need lots of moving air.
Have I said you should move some air around yet?

N8YX
08-03-2012, 08:05 PM
One Memorial Day years ago saw me staying over at my buddy's place after a day spent barbequing and drinking; slept in the basement bedroom. Extremely heavy thunderstorms set up over the area and lingered all night. Somewhere along the line his sump pump failed and in the morning hour I swung my legs over the bed rail into two feet of cold water.

Talk about waking up in a hurry.

W5GA
08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
That's why I use copper tubing.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Had that happen once and haven't really used an ice maker or built in water dispenser since. However, we are doing some remodeling, and a new fridge is in the plan. If I hook the water supply up, it will be via an armored flex, and the valve will be turned about 1/4 turn, only. No need for a shitload of pressure to the ice box. The internal tubing isn't much more than a 1/4 inch anyway so only so much water is going to flow. Sorry about your flood. I hope nothing important or expensive got FU.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 08:08 PM
That's why I use copper tubing.

That's good, too. It just makes moving the unit out to clean under it a bitch.

N8YX
08-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Sorry about your flood. I hope nothing important or expensive got FU.
My flooded friend had a complete FT-101EE lineup (including amplifier) on the basement floor awaiting incorporation into his new radio room.

Ouch.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
My flooded friend had a complete FT-101EE lineup (including amplifier) on the basement floor awaiting incorporation into his new radio room.

Ouch.

Man, that shit don't dry out worth a damn. Hope the insurance was good to him.

n2ize
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
So far it doesn't look too bad. Got the water cleaned up and the ceiling fan is giving it a nice blow-dry. Yeah, good suggestions. Armored flex or copper. No more plastic tubing for me. Also, the leak didn't seem to reach under the fridge or appliances so, hopefully no need for any heavy moving. But still, what a PITA.

ki4itv
08-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Water has strange ways. It can travel some distance and appear elsewhere. I've seen it do crazy stuff like follow seams in subfloor, or traveling between underlayment and subfloor along walls only to pool up under a bedroom carpet three rooms away. Take it from the floor guy, and check around the house really good. A whole lot of water can flow out of a 1/4" tube given a reasonable amount of time.
Not seeing a whole lot of water right away is not necessarily good. Srsly.

NA4BH
08-03-2012, 08:57 PM
When we had our kitchen remodeled, the plumber dude didn't tighten one of the faucet connections all the way. Water got between the flooring and sub-floor, wasn't a pretty sight. Needless to say, Home Depot paid for the repairs. The sum-bitch tried to blame me for the damage.

ki4itv
08-03-2012, 08:59 PM
When we had our kitchen remodeled, the plumber dude didn't tighten one of the faucet connections all the way. Water got between the flooring and sub-floor, wasn't a pretty sight. Needless to say, Home Depot paid for the repairs. The sum-bitch tried to blame me for the damage.
Not an uncommon experience.

NA4BH
08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Not an uncommon experience.

I hated it too. The plumber was a nice/conscientious guy. 1/4 more turn and it wouldn't have happened.

ki4itv
08-03-2012, 09:09 PM
A lot of times, that kind of stuff happens when the homeowner is talking the contractors head off.
Not saying you were doing that, but it is true.

NA4BH
08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
A lot of times, that kind of stuff happens when the homeowner is talking the contractors head off.
Not saying you were doing that, but it is true.

Guilty. I didn't talk his head off, but I enjoyed talking to him.

ki4itv
08-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Rut Ro. ;)

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Guilty. I didn't talk his head off, but I enjoyed talking to him.

Can't say as how I blame you.

ki4itv
08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
She was particularly popular in trade school.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 09:32 PM
She was particularly popular in trade school.

I know. Boy, could she clean out you pipes.

WØTKX
08-03-2012, 09:33 PM
http://buylovely.com/files/funzug/imgs/artwork/dancing_art_water_09.jpg

KG4CGC
08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
OIY! Me Pipes!

2AM toilet repair. Mmm-Yeah. Good times. Good times.

NA4BH
08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I know. Boy, could she clean out you pipes.

And to sweat her joints.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Notice that she looks a little flushed?

ki4itv
08-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I hear she's hell with a ballcock too.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Yes, yes she is. But not necessarily in that order.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Btw, I should post the front view so you can see her plungers.

NA4BH
08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
What about that P trap?

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Too much hair clogging it up, at lest for me it is. You may need to rooter.

W5GA
08-03-2012, 09:56 PM
That's good, too. It just makes moving the unit out to clean under it a bitch.
Leave a large loop behind the fridge, then moving it is no problem.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Leave a large loop behind the fridge, then moving it is no problem.

While this is true, if not done properly, every time the valves activate, the damn loop will bang on the walls, and if not careful (spelled wife) moving the fridge, it can kink and cause all kinds of problems. For me, it's just easier to use the armored flex, (which can be damaged if not careful, too) and replace it every few years. Inexpensive for the most part, too.

n2ize
08-03-2012, 10:42 PM

That !! is quite a repair person. Until of course he turns around to reveal a beard and mustache.

NA4BH
08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
That !! is quite a repair person. Until of course he turns around to reveal a beard and mustache.

If you look closely, she does have a tool bag hanging down between those legs. Just sayin'

n2ize
08-03-2012, 10:47 PM
While this is true, if not done properly, every time the valves activate, the damn loop will bang on the walls, and if not careful (spelled wife) moving the fridge, it can kink and cause all kinds of problems. For me, it's just easier to use the armored flex, (which can be damaged if not careful, too) and replace it every few years. Inexpensive for the most part, too.

Okay, all joking aside. The problem was a broken piece of tubing. There was a section where the flexible tubing passed through a cabinet under the oven. The tubing was kinked and that's where the water was gushing from,. Fortunately the leak is now stopped, everything is dry and I will have to replace that section of tubing. Quite naturally I will be looking into replacing the entire run of tubing with whatever is less likely to leak.

n2ize
08-03-2012, 10:49 PM
If you look closely, she does have a tool bag hanging down between those legs. Just sayin'

Ah hah ah hah ah huh huh huh.....:twisted:

W5GA
08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I'll note that copper won't chafe on a cabinet. Nor will enlarge the hole in the cabinet, unlike an armored hose.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I'll note that copper won't chafe on a cabinet. Nor will enlarge the hole in the cabinet, unlike an armored hose.

Yep. I got to agree with you. I didn't realize it went through a cabinet. I just put in a recessed valve behind the fridge when I built the place, so I don't have that issue. The dish washer is a whole nuther story. Got copper going to that.

n2ize
08-03-2012, 11:25 PM
So you are saying the best thing to be used would be copper tubing ?

n2ize
08-03-2012, 11:26 PM
http://buylovely.com/files/funzug/imgs/artwork/dancing_art_water_09.jpg

She looks very nice. Like a water nymph.

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 11:36 PM
So you are saying the best thing to be used would be copper tubing ?

If it is going through cabinets, or anywbere else where it could get beat up like the plastic one did, I'd sure go go with copper. Like Doug said, it can take the abuse where plastic and some of the others can't. I'd also use some copper j clamps or maybe copper plumbers tape to imobilize it a big if you can get to it.

WA4TM
08-03-2012, 11:58 PM

You can tell she is a REAL plumber, notice the "proper" amount of butt crack exposed!!:lol:

W3WN
08-04-2012, 05:01 PM
The irony of this is that our current GE 'fridge is over 20 years old & starting to show it's age in little ways. So a replacement will be in the works soon.

Of COURSE the boss wants the built-in automatic ice-maker.

The nice thing is that I know enough now to be able to drop a new water line (copper) right down into the basement. I won't be routing it through any kitchen cabinets, that's for damn sure!

XE1/N5AL
08-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Many winters ago, I had a water pipe break while on vacation. Except for soaking the garage floor, it didn't cause any real damage. But, when the water bill arrived, it was BIG: about 20K gallons of water had escaped. I talked with the water company and they quickly knocked the bill in half by deleting the sewer charges (since all the water had gone into the yard and street).

N2NH
08-08-2012, 05:40 AM
You can tell she is a REAL plumber, notice the "proper" amount of butt crack exposed!!:lol:

As per union rules.

K7SGJ
08-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Every time my painter friend sees a crack like that, he wants to spackle it.