PDA

View Full Version : Two wheeled apparatuses/i

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 05:17 AM
I can never remember if I should use apparatuses or apparati (I think apparati is a legal plural whereas apparatuses is a common plural) but anyway.

Having had a few bikes in the past the subject of what to buy when I get back to the states has come up. I have grown fond of the little buggers like the 125s but imo may not be practical for my uses in the states. That being said, neither is a larger unit of 600+cc. So what I am thinking about doing is getting a VStar 250 and a PCX150. I also have plans on selling off one of my cars and buying a touring bike but that is another topic.

The two uses I will have will be for non highway daily commuting in the summer, driving in town, and simply cursing the back roads. None of which require over 55mph. In this case the 80ish mpg outweighs their larger siblings by 2x and their price is half. Also, getting two allows for pili to play as well.

Now, the point of bring this up is actually more than one point but the main point really is not a point at all but rather an irritation and one that I forgot all about after moving to Europe. I was in a skype family call the other day and my family is big into motorcycles (both maternal and paternal). Ofc this brought about statements of "WTF is wrong with you" "that is a sissy bike" "that is a girls bike". Oye, when are people going to grow out of these childish stages. Having a bike suited to your needs and knowing the limitations of the bike beforehand are a good thing. Why get more or less than you need or spend more money on one thing than you have to. Particularly when it allows you to get two or three over one.

Another thing I would like to add to the collection of toys is either a CBR250ABS or a Ninja 250R.

I could get all three for the cost of a cheap HD or even a mid range crusier of other brands.

That aside. It is that time of year or rather the end of that time of year that people start talking about bikes, their bikes and the open road. I like to hear your stories.

We seem to have quite the range on here. From Fred and Gorge´s larger bikes to Kelli´s 250 and Charles´ Ruckus. As well as many things between. So I am just curious; why do you own what you own, what made you choose it, what do you use it for, how well do you like it, and would you recommend it to others. If you feel that recommending it to others would not be suitable, do you have something else that you would recommend.

Sure is much better a subject than some others we rehash. I feel this one is well worth a rehash. =)

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Doing some more research I think that the PCX 150 will be my first purchase when I get back to the states. The acceleration beats out the 125 by a substantial margin whereas the MPG, underseat storage, and price remain the same. The top speed only went up by about 9mph but that is really no big deal. It would seem that people of my size 5 11 200lbs will average a top speed of about 60-65mph (180 seems to get about 69-72 as opposed to the previous 58-62). I will only need it to do 45 on average and occasionally 55.

I will compare that to whatever 250 I decide to go with. Maybe one both classes as I have stated.

The one thing that everyone seems to complain about is the underseat gas cap. I guess people are too lazy to be careful and complain about getting a wet ass.

N8YX
08-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Go straight to a KLR650 or a Versys. You'll thank me.

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Go straight to a KLR650 or a Versys. You'll thank me.

I do not like dualsport bikes or motards. Again, a larger bike is already in the plans as well and I do already have a 900 sitting at home.

The smaller options are just for my enjoyment as something different.

NY3V
08-02-2012, 10:16 AM
I do not like dualsport bikes or motards...

Motard?

Sounds like a cross between a Moron & a Retard? ;)

ab1ga
08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I can never remember if I should use apparatuses or apparati (I think apparati is a legal plural whereas apparatuses is a common plural) but anyway.

Use neither, the plural is apparatus, same as the singular.

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Use neither, the plural is apparatus, same as the singular.

Which is odd beings the dictionary says differently. Though, I will take your word for it.

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Motard?

Sounds like a cross between a Moron & a Retard? ;)

My thoughts as well. They are like dual sport bikes. Made for three types of track.

ab1ga
08-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Which is odd beings the dictionary says differently. Though, I will take your word for it.

Merriam-Webster shows the abominable apparatuses first, then apparatus. This is proof that even the compilers of dictionaries either heed the bletherings of morons or may themselves be deeply flawed.

:)

K7SGJ
08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I do not like dualsport bikes or motards. Again, a larger bike is already in the plans as well and I do already have a 900 sitting at home.

The smaller options are just for my enjoyment as something different.

You know what? Do what makes you and your honey happy. Sounds like you pretty much know what you want, for the purpose you have in mind. Sounds like you have the "bigass" bike covered, and now you guys want something to have fun with. Do it. I know I had a great time on my 125 as kid. Until I got hit by an ice truck and tore through some ladys' pyrancantha and rose bushes. I didn't think I'd ever quit hurting and heal up, but I digress................

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
You know what? Do what makes you and your honey happy. Sounds like you pretty much know what you want, for the purpose you have in mind. Sounds like you have the "bigass" bike covered, and now you guys want something to have fun with. Do it. I know I had a great time on my 125 as kid. Until I got hit by an ice truck and tore through some ladys' pyrancantha and rose bushes. I didn't think I'd ever quit hurting and heal up, but I digress................

I realize that but I am curious about why others drive what they do. Brands and or models of the same size may also differ. Id like to hear from those that have had experience with different brands of the same thing. =)

Oh, and ouch!

As for the big ass bike. 900cc isnt really big in this day and age but, yes. I just have been having more fun on the smaller bikes as of late. It is a different experience. Besides, Pili does not like being on the back of a bike. Two is a more logical option. =)

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Merriam-Webster shows the abominable apparatuses first, then apparatus. This is proof that even the compilers of dictionaries either heed the bletherings of morons or may themselves be deeply flawed.

:)

Lol.

K7SGJ
08-02-2012, 11:36 AM
<snip> I just have been having more fun on the smaller bikes as of late. It is a different experience. Besides, Pili does not like being on the back of a bike. Two is a more logical option. =)

Yes indeed. The only down side is that it makes a reach around more difficult. But once again, I digress..............................

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Yes indeed. The only down side is that it makes a reach around more difficult. But once again, I digress..............................

Ha!

NY3V
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Nf1ahgmyk&amp;feature=related

...abominable apparatuses...

N8YX
08-02-2012, 11:51 AM
'Bigass' bike in my world is a 502ci Boss Hoss. The KLR is just about roller-skate size for me, although it makes a decent trail rig. The sub-500cc class of bikes just doesn't offer a lot of workable choices for the taller rider.

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Way too long to watch. =P

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
'Bigass' bike in my world is a 502ci Boss Hoss. The KLR is just about roller-skate size for me, although it makes a decent trail rig. The sub-500cc class of bikes just doesn't offer a lot of workable choices for the taller rider.

I wouldnt go that far. A Boss Hoss to me is not big, its simply absurd. That however is just me. =) I dont need power or speed. I just want something to putt around on at the speed limit that gets good MPG. =)

KG4CGC
08-02-2012, 12:09 PM
High gas mileage, ease of care and low maintenance, no insurance required in SC.

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
High gas mileage, ease of care and low maintenance, no insurance required in SC.

I am pretty sure the 49cc bikes are the same in PA. A bit smaller than what I am looking for but I assume there are more similarities between your Ruckus and the PCX150 than between the 150 and a bike.

You really seem to enjoy your Ruckus as well. =)

KG4CGC
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I am pretty sure the 49cc bikes are the same in PA. A bit smaller than what I am looking for but I assume there are more similarities between your Ruckus and the PCX150 than between the 150 and a bike.

You really seem to enjoy your Ruckus as well. =)

PCX is a different bike, totally. Aside from being larger, the motor is bottom mounted vs top mounting on the Ruck. The PCX had PGM EFI and gets roughly 120 MPG while topping out at 70 and will run at 70 all day. Taller wheels of course. Pretty much everything a 250 could do in a lighter more nimble package with better gas mileage. There are aftermarket variators and weights that would let you get another 10 mph out of it as well as a program modification for the EFI that you can use to tweak you acceleration.

KG4CGC
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Depending on what I can find on CL, a PCX will be my next bike unless I find something like a 76, CB350/60 whatever, for the right price.

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 12:40 PM
PCX is a different bike, totally. Aside from being larger, the motor is bottom mounted vs top mounting on the Ruck. The PCX had PGM EFI and gets roughly 120 MPG while topping out at 70 and will run at 70 all day. Taller wheels of course. Pretty much everything a 250 could do in a lighter more nimble package with better gas mileage. There are aftermarket variators and weights that would let you get another 10 mph out of it as well as a program modification for the EFI that you can use to tweak you acceleration.

Good to know. Would not worry about the extra mph myself.

N8YX
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Depending on what I can find on CL, a PCX will be my next bike unless I find something like a 76, CB350/60 whatever, for the right price.
We should have invited you to stay with us during the Vintage Motorcycle Days event a couple weekends ago - where I took the scooter pic. There were so many CBxxx - 70's era bikes for sale in the Swap Meet area you couldn't swing road kill around without knocking several over at once.

KG4CGC
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
We should have invited you to stay with us during the Vintage Motorcycle Days event a couple weekends ago - where I took the scooter pic. There were so many CBxxx - 70's era bikes for sale in the Swap Meet area you couldn't swing road kill around without knocking several over at once.

Cool ☺ Were they also priced as collector bikes? LOL!

N8YX
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Cool ☺ Were they also priced as collector bikes? LOL!
Some were reasonable; some were outrageous. Driver-quality stuff was going for around $600-800, and all which could be categorized as such were complete and in pretty decent shape.

KG4CGC
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Some were reasonable; some were outrageous. Driver-quality stuff was going for around $600-800, and all which could be categorized as such were complete and in pretty decent shape.

That's actually pretty damn good.

WØTKX
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I had many a Honda twin back in the day, and one 'lil CB-360T for years. It was a damn good bike.

N2CHX
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I like my Ninja because they are well-made yet fairly inexpensive (mine was $1800 with 7300 miles on it, Dan;s was $1700 with 3400 miles on it), parts are cheap and they are easy to work on, plus they're just light and maneuverable. I hate getting into a car now. Of course, one of the biggest factors is mileage. I get about 65, even with 10% ethanol. That said, I'd consider a Honda. I test drove a CBR600 when I was looking for a bike for Dan and I really liked it. My parents were Honda people back when they rode in the 70's and 80's.

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 03:20 AM
I like my Ninja because they are well-made yet fairly inexpensive (mine was $1800 with 7300 miles on it, Dan;s was $1700 with 3400 miles on it), parts are cheap and they are easy to work on, plus they're just light and maneuverable. I hate getting into a car now. Of course, one of the biggest factors is mileage. I get about 65, even with 10% ethanol. That said, I'd consider a Honda. I test drove a CBR600 when I was looking for a bike for Dan and I really liked it. My parents were Honda people back when they rode in the 70's and 80's.

Looking at the little bikes; I have read a lot of reviews on the CBR250 and the Ninja 250. The impression I get is that they are both nice bikes but that the Ninja has a little more bite. Faster acceleration being the most often to be pointed out. However, having played with the CBR250, I hope the Ninja is a wee bit more comfy.

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Meh, hell with it, Ill get a Reliant Robin. =P

N2CHX
08-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Looking at the little bikes; I have read a lot of reviews on the CBR250 and the Ninja 250. The impression I get is that they are both nice bikes but that the Ninja has a little more bite. Faster acceleration being the most often to be pointed out. However, having played with the CBR250, I hope the Ninja is a wee bit more comfy.

It is. You can pretty much sit upright on a Ninja. I rode mine all the way from Buffalo to Pittsburgh and back one day in June and I lived to tell about it ;-)

N8YX
08-03-2012, 08:11 AM
It is. You can pretty much sit upright on a Ninja. I rode mine all the way from Buffalo to Pittsburgh and back one day in June and I lived to tell about it ;-)
I can also bench-press one of the things... :snicker:

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Shit, I can curl the scooter we have down stairs but its a blast to zing around on.

ab1ga
08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
When I bench-press my cat she scoots faster than a Roger Clemens fastball.

It's hard work, but it's a lot easier than using an iron and it work wonders taking the curl out of her fur.

KG4NEL
08-03-2012, 08:48 AM

When I was looking at CBs (albeit fours), I found I was looking at $1500 at least for something I'd feel safe on. Almost pulled the trigger on a 750 that looked museum-grade, but it was simply too much bike too soon for my 140lb ass :doh:Dem things are heaaaavy. And 550s are rare, at least ones that haven't been chopperized.

Thinking about it here and there, every time I see a BMW R series pop up on Craigslist, I get thinking...

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
When I was looking at CBs (albeit fours), I found I was looking at $1500 at least for something I'd feel safe on. Almost pulled the trigger on a 750 that looked museum-grade, but it was simply too much bike too soon for my 140lb ass :doh:Dem things are heaaaavy. And 550s are rare, at least ones that haven't been chopperized.

Thinking about it here and there, every time I see a BMW R series pop up on Craigslist, I get thinking...

Joo has a big ass! ;)

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
PS: Having mentioned that I am also looking for a larger bike, I think I want to grab a Triumph Bonneville.

N2CHX
08-03-2012, 09:53 AM

301 lbs. They're def pretty light.

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Lighter than the average ham. xD

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Current model is closer to 400 lbs though.

N8YX
08-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Current model is closer to 400 lbs though.
I've done over 450 single-rep on the incline so I got that action covered. ;)

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I've done over 450 single-rep on the incline so I got that action covered. ;)
\

Shhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiitt! I can do that all day long, when I put the forks on the tractor.

BTW I got your bike, right here:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/iKqpvriKZuA

KB3LAZ
08-03-2012, 12:23 PM
\

Shhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiitt! I can do that all day long, when I put the forks on the tractor.

BTW I got your bike, right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psHtoUlGra0&amp;feature=player_embedded#!

NQ6U
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Yeah, same here. Used to ride a '68 R-60 and I'm a big fan of the Beemer airheads. The K series, not so much.