PDA

View Full Version : Tasting

KB3LAZ
08-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Well a local favorite eatery of ours has invited us to another tasting event, this one is tonight. It is the third we have done this month. The first was part of a tapa tour which usually you pay for but we were invited. It was a circuit run of tapa tasting over a period of three days at 16 locations. The second was a Jamon tasting event which was last week. Today will be an event tasting croquetas. As per previous weeks we judge various dishes and our cards are put in a ballot box. The card is then used as a ticket so to speak. IE the card that gets drawn wins a dinner for two. =)

So far these events have been fun. Even though we have yet to win we have enjoyed the experience and the free food. The discounted beer is also a plus. 1€ for 1/3 pint bottle of beer is not bad at all.

If you do not know what a croqueta is; It is a breadcrumb fried roll containing Bechamel and one other ingredient. Jamon, chicken, morcilla, etc. Sometimes they contain more than one other ingredient but that is not common.

Ofc these are more of a pincho than a tapa IMO. Ie hors d'œuvres. Not really filling so I think something else will be on the menu. Probably our two favorites. Patatas a la pobres con Jamon and a plate of Jamon with cheese with a side of toast topped with alioli and tomate rallado. The first dish is fried potatos with jamon and a fried egg on top. This dish is so very yummy! Alioli is a garlic mayo and tomate rallado is shredded tomato with olive oil. I have said this before but jamon is a salt cured pork that looks like raw bacon.

Anyway, that is what is planed for tonight.

PA5COR
08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
I hope you had a tasty dinner ;)

KB3LAZ
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I hope you had a tasty dinner ;)

Not yet. Remember the Spaniards eat late. 8-midnight is dinner time depending on shift. Pili gets home at 1030. Leaving for dinner in about 15 mins.

NQ6U
08-01-2012, 03:38 PM
What's the time difference between where you are and UCT?

WØTKX
08-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Marinated spanish mackerel is yummy!

PA5COR
08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Netherlands = same time zone as Spain

Standard time zone:
UTC/GMT +1 hour

Daylight saving time:
+1 hour

Current time zone offset:
UTC/GMT +2 hours

What's the time difference between where you are and UCT?

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Most of Europe uses the same time zone.

Speaking of time zones, I have never really understood the switch from GMT to UTC since the difference is less than one second. It has to be less than 0.9 seconds to be precise. By definition the two terms are synonymous. I know we as amateurs use Zulu which is phonetic for Z or rather UTC+0. I mean, I know why UTC or previously GMT was used but using one over the other seems silly. Then again, I guess in some situations a second is all it takes for a mistake to occur.

On a side note, you are what, about 1.5-2 hour drive from Amsterdam? I ask because Pili and I will only be spending about a year in Spain and have decided to go back to the states. I would like to spend a week in Italy, a week in France, a week in Ireland, and a week in Amsterdam before we go back. Ofc if we are in NL that gives us a chance to meet up. =)

Also, on another side note, I see that you live in the only province in the NL to speak its own language. Those little facts are the things that I enjoy learning.

I also read that the NL has about as many English speakers as it does Dutch speakers and more Spanish speakers than German speakers. Neat to learn.

PA5COR
08-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Wouldbe nice to meet up with you and Pillar.
Friesland, one of th 12 provinces has its own language which is also the official 2nd language here in the Netherlands, an old language Frisian is a member of the Germanic family of languages, and is the closest living language related to English.
There are two major reasons why the history of the Frisian language should be of interest to people who study languages and language change. The first is that the nature of the relationship between Frisian and English will make the history of the language of particular interest to English speakers. The second and more important reason is that the history of Frisian provides an excellent case study in the chances of survival for a minority language.
Archeological evidence of the existence of the Frisians dates as far back as 200 B.C. The first written record of the Frisians was made by the Roman historian Pliny in 12 A.D. (Mahmood 17). He locates them near the mouth of the Rhine. Although the exact extent of their territory is uncertain, we do know that Frisian was spoken along the North Sea coast between what is now Ijsselmeer in the Netherlands and the Weser river in Germany. At the peak of their power, the Frisians dominated the entire North sea shore, as evidenced by its former name the Mare Frisicum
Having invaded England in 449 AD, the English language certainly is influenced by the Frisian language.

The Frisians were a powerful and independent people. They were unique in Europe in that they did not adopt the feudal system. The Frisians have many legends associated with them, and they gained a reputation for stubborn resistance to authority. The Frisians are mentioned in the seventh century Old English poem Widsith and in the epic Beowulf (Mahmood 17).

The Romans under Augustus managed to defeat the Belgae and the Batavians (the ancestors of the Dutch). The Frisians originally formed a treaty with the Romans at the River Rhine in 28 AD. But 16 years later when taxes became repressive, they hung the taxman and defeated the Romans under Tiberius at the famous Battle of Baduhennawood. The Frisii were known and respected by the Romans and written about by several sources
The Frisians were early empire-builders among the scattered tribes of the Dark Ages and by the sixth century were the most coherent and prosperous tribe among the Germanic people, controlling an area stretching from northern Jutland in Denmark to Flanders in Belgium. Most of inland Europe was in those days impassable due to poor roads and lawlessness, and the Frisians dominated sea-going trade, ranging as far a field as the Baltics, Russia, Scandinavia, and England. Indeed, the North Sea was then known as Mare Frisicum.

Frisians were particularly renowned animal breeders, and they developed the famous Frisian dairy cattle as well as the Frisian horse, favoured of medieval knights heading into battle. The free Frisian cities of Stavoren, Bolsward, Leeuwarden and Dokkum grew rich through their membership in the burgeoning Hanseatic League, Europe's first free trade organisation, formed in the 1200s.

The Frisians were largely self-governing in the Medieval Age. They had no king, nor lords, and the people practised democracy. There are 12th century law books with laws prefaced by "The people want"” which is unheard of in most of the rest of Europe until the French Revolution 700 years later. Neighbouring nations, labouring under the bondage of feudalism, looked upon these self-sufficient and free born people in amazement and exclaimed "Every Frisian is born a nobleman."

Friesland today
However, the Frisian people kept their stubborn love of individuality and freedom and have preserved a recognizably independent culture. .

Driving from my hometown Sneek is just an hour and 15 minute drive.
Mandatory English at schools here, and a second language too, but then you can chose your 2nd foreign language German French Spanish etc.
Frisians living here already control Dutch and Frisian, most are then fluent in 4 languages including their own.

iN THE 1960'S we had a lot of Italian, Spanish and Portugese influx of people that wanted to work here, most did stay around and became Dutch but stil can use their original language.

SO, let us know when you pop over to Amsterdam, and we will be happy to pop over for getting to see eachother in real, looking forwaard to that ;)

KB3LAZ
08-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Wouldbe nice to meet up with you and Pillar.
Friesland, one of th 12 provinces has its own language which is also the official 2nd language here in the Netherlands, an old language Frisian is a member of the Germanic family of languages, and is the closest living language related to English.
There are two major reasons why the history of the Frisian language should be of interest to people who study languages and language change. The first is that the nature of the relationship between Frisian and English will make the history of the language of particular interest to English speakers. The second and more important reason is that the history of Frisian provides an excellent case study in the chances of survival for a minority language.
Archeological evidence of the existence of the Frisians dates as far back as 200 B.C. The first written record of the Frisians was made by the Roman historian Pliny in 12 A.D. (Mahmood 17). He locates them near the mouth of the Rhine. Although the exact extent of their territory is uncertain, we do know that Frisian was spoken along the North Sea coast between what is now Ijsselmeer in the Netherlands and the Weser river in Germany. At the peak of their power, the Frisians dominated the entire North sea shore, as evidenced by its former name the Mare Frisicum
Having invaded England in 449 AD, the English language certainly is influenced by the Frisian language.

The Frisians were a powerful and independent people. They were unique in Europe in that they did not adopt the feudal system. The Frisians have many legends associated with them, and they gained a reputation for stubborn resistance to authority. The Frisians are mentioned in the seventh century Old English poem Widsith and in the epic Beowulf (Mahmood 17).

The Romans under Augustus managed to defeat the Belgae and the Batavians (the ancestors of the Dutch). The Frisians originally formed a treaty with the Romans at the River Rhine in 28 AD. But 16 years later when taxes became repressive, they hung the taxman and defeated the Romans under Tiberius at the famous Battle of Baduhennawood. The Frisii were known and respected by the Romans and written about by several sources
The Frisians were early empire-builders among the scattered tribes of the Dark Ages and by the sixth century were the most coherent and prosperous tribe among the Germanic people, controlling an area stretching from northern Jutland in Denmark to Flanders in Belgium. Most of inland Europe was in those days impassable due to poor roads and lawlessness, and the Frisians dominated sea-going trade, ranging as far a field as the Baltics, Russia, Scandinavia, and England. Indeed, the North Sea was then known as Mare Frisicum.

Frisians were particularly renowned animal breeders, and they developed the famous Frisian dairy cattle as well as the Frisian horse, favoured of medieval knights heading into battle. The free Frisian cities of Stavoren, Bolsward, Leeuwarden and Dokkum grew rich through their membership in the burgeoning Hanseatic League, Europe's first free trade organisation, formed in the 1200s.

The Frisians were largely self-governing in the Medieval Age. They had no king, nor lords, and the people practised democracy. There are 12th century law books with laws prefaced by "The people want"” which is unheard of in most of the rest of Europe until the French Revolution 700 years later. Neighbouring nations, labouring under the bondage of feudalism, looked upon these self-sufficient and free born people in amazement and exclaimed "Every Frisian is born a nobleman."

Friesland today
However, the Frisian people kept their stubborn love of individuality and freedom and have preserved a recognizably independent culture. .

Driving from my hometown Sneek is just an hour and 15 minute drive.
Mandatory English at schools here, and a second language too, but then you can chose your 2nd foreign language German French Spanish etc.
Frisians living here already control Dutch and Frisian, most are then fluent in 4 languages including their own.

iN THE 1960'S we had a lot of Italian, Spanish and Portugese influx of people that wanted to work here, most did stay around and became Dutch but stil can use their original language.

SO, let us know when you pop over to Amsterdam, and we will be happy to pop over for getting to see eachother in real, looking forwaard to that ;)

That is a very neat fact and the topic is one of interest that I will have to study further.

And yes, we will let you know. That is part of the plan. =)

PA5COR
08-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Good place to study Frisians and their history, one of many.
http://www.boudicca.de/frisian1.htm

Most people are unaware of the contributions Frisians have made in the history of the United States. This is because Friesland is not now a sovereign state and records concerning Frisian-American connections are commingled with those of the Netherlands, Germany and the Scandinavian countries. For instance, the first state in Europe to recognize the independence of the United States was Friesland. Similar to the Frisian countries, America took on the role of accepting and protecting people, “mainly from Northern Europe, who went westward to escape oppression and search for political, religious and economic freedom.” It is also believed that the pilgrims did not sail directly to America but went first to Holland and Friesland to learn more about the types of laws they wanted to enact in their new country. According to The Frisian Roundtable, parts of the 1787 U.S. Constitution are based on the Frisian principles of federalism and decentralization of political power. In addition, the Frisian flag, the oldest national flag in the world, was the basis for the U.S. flag. According to The Frisian Roundtable, “the Americans took the colors and the stripes from the Frisian flag, but instead of the seven red hearts (or water-lily leaves), which in the Frisian flag represent the seven Frisian sea-countries,” they used thirteen stars to represent the first thirteen states. Moreover, Frisian emigrants played a prominent role in the early history of the United States. The Bronx, or Bronx County, New York, was named after Jonas Bronck, a Frisian who sailed to the New World in 1634 with survivors of a massive flood, and who established the first permanent settlement in New York. One of the earliest printers in America was Reynier Jansen, a Frisian. Peter Stuyvesant, a West Frisian, was Governor of New Amsterdam. Arfst Fruedden, a North Frisian, and Everet Dirkson, an East Frisian, were U.S. Senators.

W1GUH
08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Speaking of time zones, I have never really understood the switch from GMT to UTC since the difference is less than one second. It has to be less than 0.9 seconds to be precise. By definition the two terms are synonymous. I know we as amateurs use Zulu which is phonetic for Z or rather UTC+0. I mean, I know why UTC or previously GMT was used but using one over the other seems silly. Then again, I guess in some situations a second is all it takes for a mistake to occur.

Me neither. My best guess is that some jerk with enough power had this great idea to rename GMT and the force of his ego made it stick. Seems like total bullshit to me. Seems very much akin to the change from BC to BCE. BFD!

Enjoy the great food and grog you're enjoying. I'm really loving learning about life in Spain.

KB3LAZ
08-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Me neither. My best guess is that some jerk with enough power had this great idea to rename GMT and the force of his ego made it stick. Seems like total bullshit to me. Seems very much akin to the change from BC to BCE. BFD!

Enjoy the great food and grog you're enjoying. I'm really loving learning about life in Spain.

Thank you and I am glad you enjoy it. =)