PDA

View Full Version : I Joined A Symphony Orchestra

n2ize
07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
So I finally decided to make a contribution to the arts. Last week I had my first rehearsal with a new symphony orchestra that I recently joined. Okay, it is an local amateur symphony orchestra. But they do sound really good, they do give concerts, and they are playing some rather challenging pieces of music. For example, in tomorrows rehearsal we will be playing Beethoven's Symphony #7 in A Major, Gustav Mahler's Kindertotenlieder, among other compositions. The skil levels of the orchestra members varies tremendously, from some highly skilled musicians to people who haven't played since they were kids, to people like myself, who can play but can also stand a lot of improvement, to rank beginners. The nice thing is that the music we are playing is not watered down in any way shape or form, The music that sits on the stands of our orchestra is the same music that is on the stands of professional symphony orchestras and can be quite challenging to try to play, particularly for me. Some of us can play all the notes, and others only a few of them For example while rehearsing Mozart's Symphony # 40 (playing second violin part) I found myself playing a few measures at times and other times getting totally lost and ending up putting the instrument down and just trying to follow the music while listening to others play. Our next rehearsal is tomorrow evening. Hopefully I will be able to play along a bit more. But as our conductor said, "just play whatever you can, even if it is just a little bit".

In any event here is a link to our orchestra It gives a basic idea of who we are and the stuff we are playing, or, in the case of a few of us... trying to play. :) No I am not in any of the pictures..yet.

http://www.newsymphony.org/

WØTKX
07-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Neato! Makes me want to try the violin again. I'd love to 'eff with an electric one.

I just don't know if my mildly crippled bow hand (right) could do it. $80 on Amazon!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41w5V592XrL.jpg

K7SGJ
07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
And here I thought you guys only fiddled with radios. Who knew?

NA4BH
07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
They should conduct themselves accordingly.

W5GA
07-30-2012, 03:12 PM
And on a sour note, I once contemplated playing with my instrument.

n2ize
07-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Neato! Makes me want to try the violin again. I'd love to 'eff with an electric one.

I just don't know if my mildly crippled bow hand (right) could do it. $80 on Amazon!

By all means have a go at it.

There are a ,lot of people experimenting with and playing the electrics these days. Not so much in the classical/orchestral arena but in country, folk, jazz, rock, and other genres they have gained a lot of popularity. Matter of fact I wouldn't mind trying an electric one of these days. There is a lot of talk about them on several of the violin/fiddler forums I visit.

X-Rated
07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Before I get started here, I will have to bow out. Congrats on the new status, John.

NQ6U
07-30-2012, 03:22 PM

I'm opposed to sex and violins in the performing arts.

X-Rated
07-30-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm opposed to sex and violins in the performing arts.

What about cello pudding?

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/C/Bill-Cosby-9258468-1-402.jpg

KG4CGC
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/fa760f09.jpg

NA4BH
07-30-2012, 03:44 PM
You really shouldn't fret over this.

n2ize
07-30-2012, 03:52 PM
You really shouldn't fret over this.
I can't. A violin is fretless. ;)

K7SGJ
07-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I think someone is stringing you along.

NQ6U
07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
I think someone is stringing you along.

You're up to your neck in it now. You should have taken the bridge.

NA4BH
07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
You're up to your neck in it now. You should have taken the bridge.

That is one Humbucker of a pickup line.

K7SGJ
07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Not a chording to what I heard, you treble maker.

NQ6U
07-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Not a chording to what I heard, you treble maker.

Now, now, don't be an F-hole.

NA4BH
07-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Have you ever seen the clef divers in Acapulco?

ki4itv
07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
That's awesome John!
Sorry no pun today.

NA4BH
07-30-2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the Amazon info. We are going to look for this and buy it for the grandchildren. They are showing a strong interest in music, who knows where it might lead.

n2ize
07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Frogs on the bow !!!

W1GUH
07-31-2012, 02:56 AM
I see there's a rehearsal tomorrow. Are they open to the public? If not, there's the concert on Aug. 12.

W1GUH
07-31-2012, 03:01 AM
And you're rehearsing Water Music. Can you handle it?

And when you take a break.....

You'll be Bach by 8:30, Offenbach by 8:00.

NQ6U
07-31-2012, 03:05 AM
You'll be Bach by 8:30, Offenbach by 8:00.

Will you go to the grocery store during that time? If so, be sure to bring your Chopin Liszt.

KK4AMI
07-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Congratulations Sir. To me that is the ideal way to spend retirement time and contribute to your community. I hope you rise to "top nut" in the strings section.

NY3V
07-31-2012, 08:17 AM

Would that be a skin flute? :lol:

X-Rated
07-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Would that be a skin flute? :lol:

The blue veined flute.

K7SGJ
07-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Or the smaller version, the Priccolo.

X-Rated
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Or the smaller version, the Priccolo.

It's all she ever harps about.

WX7P
07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Very COOL, John.

I played the violin in the world famous Fremont (CA) Philharmonic back in the '70s, as well as the UC Symphony, briefly.

Once you get up to speed, try playing in some community theater productions. I started doing musicals when I was 13, with "The King and I" being the first one. Especially if you play second violin, the books aren't that hard. You have to put up with dreck like "The Sound of Music", but shows like "The Music Man" and "Will Rogers Follies" are really fun shows to play.

Good luck, and don't let Mahler bore you to death!

W1GUH
07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Will you go to the grocery store during that time? If so, be sure to bring your Chopin Liszt.

Back in the shack, wind the coils for that HBR-16 you're building with Liszt wire.

n2ize
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Congratulations Sir. To me that is the ideal way to spend retirement time and contribute to your community. I hope you rise to "top nut" in the strings section.

Much thanks. I hope so too. I am not quite ready to retire yet but, if ever I do I hope to stick with the orchestra and maybe hiot that high note one of these days.

n2ize
07-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Very COOL, John.

I played the violin in the world famous Fremont (CA) Philharmonic back in the '70s, as well as the UC Symphony, briefly.

Once you get up to speed, try playing in some community theater productions. I started doing musicals when I was 13, with "The King and I" being the first one. Especially if you play second violin, the books aren't that hard. You have to put up with dreck like "The Sound of Music", but shows like "The Music Man" and "Will Rogers Follies" are really fun shows to play.

Good luck, and don't let Mahler bore you to death!

Well, I had some success with Beethoven tonight, Then we moved on to Shostakovich and I was completely lost, I kept my bow on the stand the whole time... for good reason...the sheet music was missing from my stand. Well they promised it will be there next week. Then we went on to Handel (H2O Music) and I didn't do half bad....I actually wanted to continue on with it all night it but then we had break and when we got "Bach" (Hi Hi) the conductor switched to Ravel and the whole orchestra was lost. Well it was the first night the piece was in the repertoire so it will take some time to get used to. Oh yeah... almost forgot...Mahler.. can;t remember how I played Mahler... guess I fell asleep for that part.l :-D Ah well, I won't write off Mahler just yet....But I will heed your warning. LOL. All in all it was a great rehearsal and a great dinner/party afterward. Looking forward to next week..

Also thanks for the advice on the musicals. Sounds like fun and something I might enjoy.

NQ6U
08-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Could have been worse. Could have been Schumann.

n2ize
08-01-2012, 02:28 PM
I see there's a rehearsal tomorrow. Are they open to the public? If not, there's the concert on Aug. 12.

Our rehearsals are not generally "public events". Most likely due to limited space and practice time. For example last week we had a large hall to rehearse in but last night we were rehearsing in a much smaller room with just enough space to house the orchestra and equipment. However anyone who are interested in learning to play in the orchestra or are interested in joining can visit and even sit in and rehearse with us. We are a very relaxed, laid back and easy going, friendly and non-judgmental group.

The concerts are open to the public. If you can make it to one of the upcoming concerts let me know. It would be great to see you there.

n2ize
08-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Could have been worse. Could have been Schumann.

Ahhh Schumann. I've never played any of Schumann's works so I can't say whether I would like it or not. I've listened to some of his music years ago and some of it I enjoyed, other of his works seemed a bit lengthy and too drawn out. At least that was the impression I got. With regards to classical music I seem to be developing a liking for playing Baroque music. That's why I was glad to see the orchestra is playing some works that fall into that genre.

W1GUH
08-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Our rehearsals are not generally "public events". Most likely due to limited space and practice time. For example last week we had a large hall to rehearse in but last night we were rehearsing in a much smaller room with just enough space to house the orchestra and equipment. However anyone who are interested in learning to play in the orchestra or are interested in joining can visit and even sit in and rehearse with us. We are a very relaxed, laid back and easy going, friendly and non-judgmental group.

The concerts are open to the public. If you can make it to one of the upcoming concerts let me know. It would be great to see you there.

Thanks, John. I'd like that please keep me informed.

w2amr
08-01-2012, 04:01 PM
So I finally decided to make a contribution to the arts. Last week I had my first rehearsal with a new symphony orchestra that I recently joined. Okay, it is an local amateur symphony orchestra. But they do sound really good, they do give concerts, and they are playing some rather challenging pieces of music. For example, in tomorrows rehearsal we will be playing Beethoven's Symphony #7 in A Major, Gustav Mahler's Kindertotenlieder, among other compositions. The skil levels of the orchestra members varies tremendously, from some highly skilled musicians to people who haven't played since they were kids, to people like myself, who can play but can also stand a lot of improvement, to rank beginners. The nice thing is that the music we are playing is not watered down in any way shape or form, The music that sits on the stands of our orchestra is the same music that is on the stands of professional symphony orchestras and can be quite challenging to try to play, particularly for me. Some of us can play all the notes, and others only a few of them For example while rehearsing Mozart's Symphony # 40 (playing second violin part) I found myself playing a few measures at times and other times getting totally lost and ending up putting the instrument down and just trying to follow the music while listening to others play. Our next rehearsal is tomorrow evening. Hopefully I will be able to play along a bit more. But as our conductor said, "just play whatever you can, even if it is just a little bit".

In any event here is a link to our orchestra It gives a basic idea of who we are and the stuff we are playing, or, in the case of a few of us... trying to play. :) No I am not in any of the pictures..yet.

http://www.newsymphony.org/
Congrats John, sounds like fun.

n2ize
08-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks, John. I'd like that please keep me informed.

Will do.

n2ize
08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Congrats John, sounds like fun.
Thank you George. Yes it's a lot of fun I am really enjoying it immensely.

WØTKX
08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Frogs on the bow !!!

Fancy Frog!

http://www.bergbows.com/pics/FrogEbonyGoldProfile.jpg

WX7P
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Fancy Frog!

No shit.

n2ize
08-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Fancy Frog!

Sweet !! One of these days I should treat myself to a fine quality bow.