PDA

View Full Version : mic problem

kk4fpx
07-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I picked up a adi ar-147 at a flea market today for $10.00 with a wilson 1000 antenna thrown in.I didn't think it would even work,much to my surprise it works perfect.The mic cord is ragged as hell and I'd like to find a replacement mic for it as I want to give it to my Grandson.Anyone know what mic's will work on it?

kf0rt
07-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Here's the manual:

http://www.kb2ljj.com/manuals/2-adi/AR-147%20Users%20Manual.pdf

Looks like a 2.2K ohm impedance dynamic mic is "factory spec." Not sure what fits that bill precisely, but it sounds pretty generic.

kk4fpx
07-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the link,I've already printed out the manual.I was hopeing to maybe find a mic at a hamfest that would fit it.I read these mic's on this model all come apart after a few years.This one is in shreds,I can't believe it still works.

kf0rt
07-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Seems like pretty much any recent mobile ham mic would work; just a matter of experimenting a bit and getting the pinout right on the connector. If the microphone element in the old unit is still in good shape, you could even swap that out. Plug and play might be an issue -- I'd expect this one to cost a bit of soldering iron time, but not a big project.

WØTKX
07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Umm, most dynamic mics are 600 Ohms or so. A 2.2K dynamic mic is a little odd. Looking at the manual, it shows 8 volts on pin 5, so I'm wondering if an electret style mic at 2-5K Ohms is what it really is. Hooking up a 600 Ohm dynamic mic to it would probably result in low muffled audio.

I've run into this before with early 80's Ten-Tecs. A careful use of a cheap power mic might work. Glue the settings down
Another trick might be to find an old school "crystal" mic with the right impedance, such as an old Turner.

Using the cheap electret cartridges from the Radio Shack parts drawer is a good idea to play around. Less than $5.

kk4fpx
07-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Maybe I could just find an old mic with an eight wire cable and rewire the cable in to my mic.

kf0rt
07-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe I could just find an old mic with an eight wire cable and rewire the cable in to my mic.

I'd give it a shot.