PDA

View Full Version : Tiny satellites to write Morse code visible in the night sky

NQ6U
07-28-2012, 12:56 AM
An unmanned Japanese cargo vessel headed for the International Space Station (ISS) this week is carrying some unusual cargo. In addition to regular supplies, the vehicle contains some tiny, cube-shaped satellites that, when deployed, will write Morse code messages visible in the night sky.

Full story here. (http://dvice.com/archives/2012/07/tiny-satellites.php)

N8YX
07-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Too bad no one can read it any more... :snicker:

kf0rt
07-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Too bad no one can read it any more... :snicker:

Write it either, apparently. What the hell has four dahs?

Four-dah-thingy "+ C E R B" is how I read that. "Artist's rendering," no doubt. :lol:

WN9HJW
07-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Deleted

X-Rated
07-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Get ready for a rash....

I'll get the ointment from the drugstore.

K7SGJ
07-28-2012, 08:34 AM
I think it's cool. Think of all the no codes that will think it really says someting. Wonder if we should tell chuckles it's the new visual part of sailmail.

X-Rated
07-28-2012, 08:46 AM
-. --- -.-- --- -.. ... -.. --- -. - -.-. --- .--. -.--

ki4itv
07-28-2012, 09:51 AM
I think it's cool. Think of all the no codes that will think it really says someting. Wonder if we should tell chuckles it's the new visual part of sailmail.

Please don't confuse SailMail with Winlink.
Sailmail is the proper use of PacTorIII in the Marine bands, WinLink is mainly Amateur Radio's attempt at circumvention of that private, for profit, service. Same traffic. Same pool of users.
It's a fact.

N8YX
07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Sailmail is the proper use of PacTorIII in the Marine bands, WinLink is mainly Amateur Radio's attempt at circumvention of that private, for profit, service. Same traffic. Same pool of users.
It's a fact.
Gospel.

ki4itv
07-28-2012, 03:22 PM
^^^^:lol: Yea, my ass is still burnin' from 30m memories. It doesn't show does it? :lol:

N7YA
07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
The characters are Wabun. You can hear it nightly on 40m CW, its Japanese morse basically. I am going to look for this...i would like to try and get a card for it, never know. CW beacon on 437.25 mhz.

Heres a link for the tech stats.

http://www.fit.ac.jp/~tanaka/fitsat.shtml

K7SGJ
07-28-2012, 05:36 PM
It's a fact.

I'm not confused. Chuckie hates everything.

ki4itv
07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm not confused. Chuckie hates everything.
I know.
I just had to get that out. :yes:

kf0rt
07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
The characters are Wabun. You can hear it nightly on 40m CW, its Japanese morse basically. I am going to look for this...i would like to try and get a card for it, never know. CW beacon on 437.25 mhz.

Heres a link for the tech stats.

http://www.fit.ac.jp/~tanaka/fitsat.shtml

No kiddin'? You're way ahead of me, Adam. It looked more "Greek" to me.

WØTKX
07-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Wabun eh? Very interesting.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rg8k-okt/ecw.htm

So, it's "ko nn ni chi ha". Which is a variant of Konichiwa.

Well, good afternoon to you too! Cool Beans!

K8LET
07-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Wabun eh? Very interesting.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rg8k-okt/ecw.htm

So, it's "ko nn ni chi ha". Which is a variant of Konichiwa.

Well, good afternoon to you too! Cool Beans!

こんにちは!

Fun fact, the last syllable is pronounced wa, but is actually spelled with the hiragana for ha.. for historical reasons and to fuck with Japanese learners.

X-Rated
07-29-2012, 09:55 AM
こんにちは!

Fun fact, the last syllable is pronounced wa, but is actually spelled with the hiragana for ha.. for historical reasons and to fuck with Japanese learners.

Cool. Do you know hiragana? That stuff is all Greek to me. I know when we go to customer sites, we show them the manufacturing locations we have and one of them is Sendai. When they see that, their eyes get big and they about explode with questions. How did they survive the tsunami? Our Japanese representatives explain to them that if they know Japanese, there are 2 cities that have similar names but are nowhere close to each other on the map. They are spelled differently in Japanese, but in English, their names are the same due to our lack of their phonic ranges.

K8LET
07-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Cool. Do you know hiragana? That stuff is all Greek to me. I know when we go to customer sites, we show them the manufacturing locations we have and one of them is Sendai. When they see that, their eyes get big and they about explode with questions. How did they survive the tsunami? Our Japanese representatives explain to them that if they know Japanese, there are 2 cities that have similar names but are nowhere close to each other on the map. They are spelled differently in Japanese, but in English, their names are the same due to our lack of their phonic ranges.

I'm an on again off again Japanese learner, I do know the Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, like most students it's the Kanji that turns into the major stumbling block. In regards to Sendai, it's not actually due to our lack of phonic ranges, but rather the Japanese lack. There is a ton of homophones in Japanese and meaning is interpreted both by context and by the Kanji characters used. So in this case you have 仙台 pronounced Sen-dai in the North and 川内 also pronounced Sen-dai in the south. Adding to the confusion at the time of the tsunami, 川内 is home to a nuke plant and with the Fukushima situation occurring it was easy for people to get the two confused. They are pronounced the same in Japanese, so there's no special "tones" going on like you get with Chinese (the syllable that is stressed may be different, so it may be SEN-dai vs. sen-DAI, I'm not sure, but such stress differences are very regional anyway).

X-Rated
07-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm an on again off again Japanese learner, I do know the Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, like most students it's the Kanji that turns into the major stumbling block. In regards to Sendai, it's not actually due to our lack of phonic ranges, but rather the Japanese lack. There is a ton of homophones in Japanese and meaning is interpreted both by context and by the Kanji characters used. So in this case you have 仙台 pronounced Sen-dai in the North and 川内 also pronounced Sen-dai in the south. Adding to the confusion at the time of the tsunami, 川内 is home to a nuke plant and with the Fukushima situation occurring it was easy for people to get the two confused. They are pronounced the same in Japanese, so there's no special "tones" going on like you get with Chinese (the syllable that is stressed may be different, so it may be SEN-dai vs. sen-DAI, I'm not sure, but such stress differences are very regional anyway).

Well, I cannot argue a thing here and refer the expertise to you. Thank you for the explanation. Yes. "Our company's" Sendai is in the south. It was nowhere near the Fukushima power plant.

n2ize
07-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Full story here. (http://dvice.com/archives/2012/07/tiny-satellites.php)

Oh No !! Wait till Alex Jones and the conspiracy theorists get a load of this. They will be screaming...MIND CONTROL, WEATHER CONTROL, HAARP... NIBIRU !! FALSE FLAG !! and other assorted nonsense.

NQ6U
07-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Oh No !! Wait till Alex Jones and the conspiracy theorists get a load of this. They will be screaming...MIND CONTROL, WEATHER CONTROL, HAARP... NIBIRU !! FALSE FLAG !! and other assorted nonsense.

It's not Morse Code, it's...Hypno-rays!