PDA

View Full Version : Zork fans, rejoice!

W1GUH
07-25-2012, 06:14 PM
There's this website, gog.com (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_zork_anthology) (gog - grand old games) that has, for download at a very resonable price for each, all of the Zork games from Infocom. That link shows you one package with a few titles, they've also got Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor. I've got 'em all. The Zork package also has Planetfall.

If you loved those games in the 80's, here's your chance to get them for you current whiz-bang machine. They download and install smoothly and have no "DRM", whatever that is.

Enjoy! Just remember that you better have a source of light or you'll be eaten by a Grue and to tell everyone, "Hello Sailor." And if you find yourself in a maze of twisty passages....well...good luck! Oh, the site also has maps and the original manuals from the game that come automatically with the download; walkthroughs are all over the web. And, unless you've got a 4 figure IQ you WILL need the walkthroughs. There are some super difficult puzzles to solve in those games and if you're going to finish sometime this century....

Cuidado -- this is the kind of game that you can wind up in a state where you're fucked & can't possible win. Save early and often!

My fave so far is Zork Nemesis. That was published when Zork started to get sophisticated graphics. There are some really beautiful images and sounds in that game. There are also some very, very disturbing scenes, especially in the Asylum. Enjoy! Atmospherically, it's what I think is about the best I've seen, right up there with the orignal Max Payne.

NQ6U
07-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Lord Dimwit Flathead the Excessive is pleased by this development.

W1GUH
07-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Good to know. You just don't want to piss off that guy!

NA4BH
07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Is it for PC or just Apple?

W1GUH
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Dunno about Apple, I've got the PC version.

(Egad!!!! Somebody thinks I'd ever actually have an apple? Yikes!!!)

NQ6U
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
How many Zorkmids does it cost?

W1GUH
07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
599 Zorkmids for Zork Anthology
599 Zorkmids for Zork Nemesis
599 Zorkmids for Zork Grand Inquisitor
599 Zorkmids for Return to Zork

In case you've forgotten it, the exchange rate is listed here (http://mintyfreshcreepers.net/thread-392.html).

Dunno how stable that rate it. AFAIK those prices could be completely different tomorrow. I talked to a friend down on Wall St. and he says he's seen that rate vary wildly in the past. He somehow feels that the housing crash was initiated when Lord Dimwit Flathead pegged the price of a Zorkmid to the amount of water behind Flood Control Dam #2.

In case you missed it because you've got your colors set up like I do, there's a link to gog.com in the opening post. I just fancied it up so it's obvious.

N8YX
07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't know about the rest of you folks but I greatly prefer the old Mario Bros/space-blaster/Centipede/PacMan genre of games to their modern equivalents.

Those with a Wii and a network connection might wish to purchase and check out 'Toejam and Earl'. Silly game, but fun to play. Just add alcohol for more fun yet!