PDA

View Full Version : USS Miami fire was arson

W5GA
07-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow! I never saw this coming. Fires in a shipyard setting aren't at all unusual, but are mostly the result of welding.
http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/worker-charged-arsons-maine-sub-fire-145702234.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=US&.lang=en-US

N8YX
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Keel-haul the sonovabitch and be done with it.

Or jettison him out of Tube 1 in the mid-Atlantic.

NA4BH
07-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Or jettison him out of Tube 1

In dry dock............... SPLAT

W5GA
07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
In dry dock............... SPLAT
Sorry, torpedo tubes don't work that way.

NA4BH
07-23-2012, 10:17 PM

They should :lol:

n2ize
07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
What a piece of lowlife scum. They should kill the lowlife mf.

G1TWS
07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
In the UK when the death penalty was abolished for murder it was kept for a number of obscure serious offences. One of which was arson in her majesty's dockyard. I do not think since the time of Charles II has anyone tried lighting a fire in a royal dockyard.

Another offence was committing adultery with a senior female member of the royal family. When the Princess of Wales was alive a certain England rugby captain and a former guards officer were going round with worried looks on their faces.

If circumstances had been different, the son of a upmarket department store owner would be looking worried as well.

WA4TM
07-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Well, that's a damn shame!!!!!

PA5COR
07-24-2012, 06:42 PM
So, your people let workers do their job on nuclear sub's while under heavy sedation of medecines?
Asking for trouble isn't it?

W5GA
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
So, your people let workers do their job on nuclear sub's while under heavy sedation of medecines?
Nothing the supervisor can do if he doesn't know about it, is there?

PA5COR
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
For that kind of work regular check up's should be mandatory like drug testing and the clean note of your doctor.
As pipefitter/T.I.G welder i needed my safety certificate extended every 5 years, First Aid certificate extended, as well all my welding certificates, and got regular drug tests working on expensive installations, like natural gas lines etc.

Compared to working near or on a nuke sub, that is peanuts...
Look at the safety when trying to fly on a commercial plane, and working on a nuke sub is less of a problem?
Strange world you guy's live in...

W5GA
07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
For that kind of work regular check up's should be mandatory like drug testing and the clean note of your doctor.
As pipefitter/T.I.G welder i needed my safety certificate extended every 5 years, First Aid certificate extended, as well all my welding certificates, and got regular drug tests working on expensive installations, like natural gas lines etc.

Compared to working near or on a nuke sub, that is peanuts...
Look at the safety when trying to fly on a commercial plane, and working on a nuke sub is less of a problem?
Strange world you guy's live in...
Welders and others do. Painters don't.

PA5COR
07-24-2012, 08:00 PM
What does that matter what work they do, they have access to the nuke sub.
All workers in sensitive area's had to comply to safety certificate's and rules set there by the government and owner of the plant.
Meaning you had a pass to have on your coverall that showed a picture of you and colour code what you were allowed to come on that area and the work you did, in case of working on the natural gas stations and other important factories, including food and beverage factories.
Safety personel regularly checked this too.
Nuke subs in my opinion are a bit more sensitive, he could without problem set fire in the nuke sub...

kb2vxa
07-24-2012, 09:23 PM
"...and wanted to get out of work early..."

Sounds familiar. When I was an electrician in a cabinet shop I had trouble with some of the carpenters. Mondays and Fridays were heavy work days for me repairing damaged machines, when I figured out the pattern I smelled sabotage. Typical "I hate Mondays" attitude coupled with "It's Friday and I want to go home" nonsense. Work can't go out with workers standing around doing nothing while I worked fixing their mess so I had a talk with the plant manager. I was given limited authority and my response to their slacking was "You broke the new machine so go work the old one". After the go have sex with yourself backlash my response was "If you have a problem with that take it up with the big boss, little boss says GET BACK TO WORK!" Word gets around quick, electricity burns wood every time so don't mess with the electrician.

"Nuke subs in my opinion are a bit more sensitive..."

I tend to agree, wood burns but nuclear fuel burns hotter and this guy gonna git fried. What I don't understand is the possible sentence. Between the fine and ordered restitution he couldn't pay it all in 10 lifetimes. Then how can he pay anything when he's sent to prison for the rest of his life? That's like consecutive life sentences for multiple homicides, the American judicial system is WHACK!

W5GA
07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
"Nuke subs in my opinion are a bit more sensitive..."

I tend to agree, wood burns but nuclear fuel burns hotter and this guy gonna git fried. What I don't understand is the possible sentence. Between the fine and ordered restitution he couldn't pay it all in 10 lifetimes. Then how can he pay anything when he's sent to prison for the rest of his life? That's like consecutive life sentences for multiple homicides, the American judicial system is WHACK!
The fire was in the forward section, not aft where the reactor was, nor could it have spread aft. Now the Navy has yet another reactor compartment to store at Hanford.

n2ize
07-28-2012, 08:16 PM

Why not ? I have known quite a few people who could do amazing and complicated work while downed.

PA5COR
07-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Yep, like we see here in the threads subject....