PDA

View Full Version : Oops

W3WN
07-22-2012, 09:51 PM
So I'm shooting a little video at the start of Race #2 (MG's) this afternoon at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, since Dan KB3HVN is taking his turn as corner communications. Second lap -- first competition, since Lap #1 is the pace lap -- follow the leaders around the corner, and the flagger next to me goes "oh, sh!t!!"
Of course I missed it when it happened... MGB 62 Brown didn't make the turn coming out of Corner 17, went up on the grass, hit the hand rail (which stopped him) and stopped on the marble monument that's located along the road.

The driver emerged unscathed... well, at least from the wreck. From what he was saying, his wife was going to have a conniption fit, and he was worried about fixing the car. I did point out to him that it would be cheaper (and less painful) to fix the car than to fix him.

I did get a 5 minute video of the wrecker pulling him out of the mess. Didn't even scratch the car, I was impressed.
At the end, the car is hanging from it's tow ropes (or whatever they used), the Coarse Crew backed up a "flat bed" underneath the car, and then they gently lowered the car right onto the wrecker's bed. And away it rolled, back to the Paddock.

The City will probably bill the PVGP a pretty penny to fix the handrail though (it's alongside the walk way down to the monument). So it goes.

X-Rated
07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
"Honestly officer. The handrail jumped out in front of me. I had nowhere to go."

KG4CGC
07-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Who puts giant rocks on a race course!

W3WN
07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Who puts giant rocks on a race course!The City of Pittsburgh.

The Vintage is run on city streets within Schenley Park. (Yes, the streets are closed off from non-race vehicles!!) So, for 363 days out of the year (364 in leap years, of course) this isn't an issue. But for one weekend a year...

N8YX
07-23-2012, 10:40 AM
That'll buff right out.

W3WN
07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
That'll buff right out.Oh, sure.

I just got told by someone "have you seen the Post-Gazette Photos Of The Day today?"

I'll save you the trouble of finding it... note the schmuck standing behind the car with the little camera, video-ing (is that a verb?) them lifting the car off the monument...

KB3LAZ
07-23-2012, 02:28 PM
That tuna can with wheels is a poopish color.

W3WN
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
You think that's bad, you should see the car (#411) that was named Woodstock. It's color scheme is... well, it was easier to use the car's name.

Let me put it this way... think of the aftermath of the explosion in the hardware store in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and you have an idea.

Yes, I have a picture of it, somewhere.

KB3LAZ
07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
You think that's bad, you should see the car (#411) that was named Woodstock. It's color scheme is... well, it was easier to use the car's name.

Let me put it this way... think of the aftermath of the explosion in the hardware store in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and you have an idea.

Yes, I have a picture of it, somewhere.

I dont know what that is. You sure do know how to make me use google. Lol.

NQ6U
07-23-2012, 03:28 PM
note the schmuck standing behind the car with the little camera, video-ing (is that a verb?) them lifting the car off the monument...

I've heard that guy is a real schlemiel.

kb2vxa
07-23-2012, 04:30 PM
"That tuna can with wheels is a poopish color."

Uranus Company, producer of Brown 62. At Uranus, things come out a little differently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=008BPUdQ1XA

W3WN
07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I dont know what that is. You sure do know how to make me use google. Lol.Took me a few minutes... didn't have a photo, but I did take a video of the pace lap from one of the practice runs on Saturday. Did a screen capture, so the quality isn't that sharp, but I think you'll get the point...

This is 411 Woodstock:
See what I mean?

Every other car is a color... Blue, Orange, Black, Crimson (no Race vehicle is Red, Red is reserved for the Red Flag -- Stop Race NOW), Green, Silver, White, Cream... what do you call this color scheme? Explosion in a paint factory?

Now for those of you with a dirty mind, consider this... the owner of 411 had another car in the same heat, driven by his wife (or she'd drive Woodstock, he'd drive the other car... whatever). So, if the two of them had a side bet on who'd do better in a race... what could that side bet be? :twisted: :evil:

NA4BH
07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I've heard that guy is a real schlemiel.

I heard the guy driving the car got a glimpse of the guy taking the video, then he wrecked. Wrecked um?

W3WN
07-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Here's a look at the other car that wrecked in front of us on Saturday morning. Same area as 82 Ugly Brown; he came out of the curve at 17 too hot, hit the curb & went into a spin. Tore his wheel off.
What you can't really tell from the picture is that the Coarse Crew rope tow/wrecker is pulling him off during a hot race... that car isn't sitting there on the left, but is in the process of proceeding (under a yellow caution flag at 17) past the mess.

Outside of the wheel, though, there was no debris on the track, and as soon as they had him cleared, down goes the flag and racing continues.

W3WN
07-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I heard the guy driving the car got a glimpse of the guy taking the video, then he wrecked. Wrecked um?Nice try. He lost control before he ever saw me or my corner.