PDA

View Full Version : Severe Storms on Tap in Northeast

n2ize
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Philadelphia, Southern NY and NYC, New Jersey, Ohio, Connecticut are under watch for severe thunderstorm outbreak today including large hail, high winds, and in some places possible twisters., derechos, downed lines, downed trees etc as a strong cold front slices through the blazing heat and extremely high humidity of the past few days. I am already hearing thunder in my area and noticing darkening skies in the west.

Tomorrow we are expecting a much cooler 88 degrees and on friday a high of only 78 before temps start to rebound.

W5GA
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Geez, export some of that this way will ya?

n2ize
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Geez, export some of that this way will ya?

The storms or the lower temperatures, or both ? :)

W3WN
07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Nice to know tomorrow will be cooler, we'll be up to spend the afternoon with Mom before heading home.

n2ize
07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Some nice dark blue clouds coming in from the west now. Still humid and hot.

K7SGJ
07-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Some nice dark blue clouds coming in from the west now. Still humid and hot.

Snow clouds?

n2ize
07-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Nice to know tomorrow will be cooler, we'll be up to spend the afternoon with Mom before heading home.

My weather forecast widget is showing a high of 87 for tomorrow and a high of 78 for Friday and 81 for Saturday. Not a bad weekend. Compared to the last few days that will feel cool. Temperatures seem to rebound early next week though.

n2ize
07-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Snow clouds?
They look sort of like it. It's just that half the sky is light and the other half is dark.giving them that bluish-grey look.

NA4BH
07-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Isn't this how Batman starts?

KG4CGC
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Isn't this how Batman starts?

Yeah, with a fire breathing bad guy named Bane.

ki4itv
07-18-2012, 02:00 PM

NQ6U
07-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, with a fire breathing bad guy named Bane.

Which, as we all know, is a thinly veiled reference to Mitt Romney's Bain Capital, nothing more than propaganda from Hollywood liberals.

kb2vxa
07-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Something evil does this way come.

Lightning comes in through the bathroom window,
Attracted by a silver spoon.
Now I suck my thumb and wonder,
Will it strike Ham Island Lagoon?

n2ize
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
So far today we've had a lot of dark clouds pass by, some rumbles in the distance, but nothing hitting us head on. Yesterdays action was way north of my area. Most of todays action is just to our south. We are like that little fair weather enclave that usually manages to dodge the rougher stuff.

kf0rt
07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
We've had overcast evenings every day for awhile now. It's already clouded up today, but still 90 degrees out. Pleasant without the hot sun.

KJ3N
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Well, so far this has turned out to be another non-event. Saw plenty of stuff on the radar, but as usual, it fell apart before it got here. All we got was some dark clouds and a few moments of rain.

I could piss in a bucket and fill it with more liquid than I've seen fall out of the sky today.

n2ize
07-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Well, so far this has turned out to be another non-event. Saw plenty of stuff on the radar, but as usual, it fell apart before it got here. All we got was some dark clouds and a few moments of rain.

I could piss in a bucket and fill it with more liquid than I've seen fall out of the sky today.

Same here. I was looking forward to at least some nice claps of thunder, some nice flashes and maybe a bit of hail just for fun. Instead we got bupkis.Lots of clouds rolling through, distant rumbles. A dehydrated mule could have pissed more than it rained here. Now its clearing and the sun is breaking through.

So I guess its over unless we get a surprise storm. It has happened. Last year one evening all the action was over around 6:00 pm andf the weatherman said its over. Then around 9:00 pm I look to the west and I see the western sky lit up with continuous flashing getting more and more intense. Finally it hit here and all hell broke loose. Major gusts, hailstones, sheets of rain. and constant lightning and thunder. Most of our bad storms around here happen sudden like that around here. Whenever the tell us it's coming we end up getting nothin.

N2NH
07-18-2012, 06:05 PM
We've gotten slammed here for the last 4 or 5 hours. Extreme thunder, downpours and wind. We were overdue as little rain has hit here for over a month.

n2ize
07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
We've gotten slammed here for the last 4 or 5 hours. Extreme thunder, downpours and wind. We were overdue as little rain has hit here for over a month.

Well your in Brooklyn which is notorious for some of the most severe summer storms. I remember when i lived in East New York. Wham...BOOM.. thunder, lightning, downpours, extreme winds.

KA9MOT
07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
The storms or the lower temperatures, or both ? :)

Both!

99 degrees, Heat Indices of 110 and drought conditions.... They are talking about some storms tonight. We're all looking forward to it.

n2ize
07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Both!

99 degrees, Heat Indices of 110 and drought conditions.... They are talking about some storms tonight. We're all looking forward to it.

I generally like extremes but even I found this day very oppressive. It was 99 deg and coupled with the high humidity made you feel like you could hardly breath. Made you feel like you were about to drown in hot water in a steam bath. Last few days I've been drinking iced coffee. I only drink ice coffee when its very hot. But now I think I'll stick to drinking ice coffee for the rest of the summer. Not only is it refreshing but it has a nice caffiene rush that gets the brain into high gear but it doesn't seem to produce the jitters afterwards like hot coffee.

N8YX
07-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Had a mini bow echo and associated westward cold pool/MCS move through around 10:30AM and it just stopped raining. We sure can use the precipitation.

KJ3N
07-19-2012, 02:48 PM
I see a nasty line just passing Pittsburgh. I'm betting it falls apart before it gets here.

NQ6U
07-19-2012, 02:48 PM
I see a nasty line just passing Pittsburgh. I'm betting it falls apart before it gets here.

Pittsburgh will do that to you.

kb2vxa
07-19-2012, 06:00 PM
"We've gotten slammed here for the last 4 or 5 hours." "Well you're in Brooklyn which is notorious for some of the most severe summer storms."

Yup, saw the hammer on radar but what was headed my way fizzled just as it got here. The few drops that fell only served to raise the humidity from 53% to 88% but thankfully the mercury dropped from the century mark to the upper 80s, steamy but not as brutal. Speaking of Brooklyn, I remember the tornado and two that year hitting Static Island, a couple of years later one came across Barnegat Bay and clobbered the southern end of Long Beach Island. It took out a couple of houses and a motel, then in the middle of the main drag it died sparing houses on the ocean side. All I can say is thank God we don't live in Joplin, MO.

Just to tie the ribbons, today it's 75 with wind off the ocean, feels downright damp and chilly.

KJ3N
07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Looks like Lancaster, PA is gonna get a whacking soon. If this line holds together, I should see some rain on the next 60-90 minutes.