PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the main server...

W4GPL
07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
So for the second time in a year or so, our RAID controller fsck'd us over. It's a cheap implementation, so every time there's a failure, it replicates the corruption -- making RAID just about worthless, wouldn't you say? So I'm upgrading the server to something similar to what we have now, only I'm either going to use MD (Linux software RAID) or make sure we get a decent reputable controller installed.

I was able to fail the one drive and fix the data on the other, but it was & is still a mess. :-| So things might be a little erratic for the next few days while I switch everything over. We're going to be using the same hosting provider, so the IP's are portable as long as I stay in the same data center (which I plan to) -- so there shouldn't be any weird DNS issues.

Just an update for the sake of an update.

I also hastily bought a slice of a NAS on their 'local' network, so I can make more reliable backups every night, instead of.. less often. :lol: This was an expensive investment, but it'll protect the Island's data more soundly. It was a close call this time, I'd rather avoid that in the future.

PA5COR
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed Jeff.
Looks like we had some bad luck, if we can help give a holler you hear? ;)

NQ6U
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Do you need a cash infusion, Jeff?

W4GPL
07-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks for asking.

I don't need the money, I don't mind covering the costs as long as I'm able to and I currently am. But the hat is always being passed around. We had a very successful donation drive a month or so back.. that helps a lot. But this was an unexpected expense (or will be as soon as I finalize it).

NQ6U
07-18-2012, 01:03 PM
RR OM. Payday is on the 20th, I'll send something your way.

PA5COR
07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Ditto.

W4GPL
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
The physical upgrade is complete. Still some configuration kinks I need to iron out. We were down most of Tuesday morning, this is why.

We're using the same CPU type/speed I was previously.. doubled our RAM (for free - IT Negotiator) and increased our uplink speed. We're now using Linux software RAID on the default SATA controller. The I/O is slower by about 20%, but I'm quite convinced it's many times more reliable.

We're now on EL6.. as well. 21st century, fsck yeah!

More info to follow for those who are interested.

Some of our IP weren't portable (as advertised).. :rant: So some of you might be having DNS issues for the next couple of hours, the main TTL was 8 hours. :-| I would have switched it to 1 hour if I had thought the IPs weren't portable. :rant:

NQ6U
07-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for being willing to stay up late (or get up early) to keep the board online, Jeff.

PA5COR
07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
^What he said, thanks M8 ;)

WØTKX
07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Jeff NEVER sleeps, except at Field Day. True Story.