PDA

View Full Version : new beam

kk4fpx
07-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I got my new 3 element beam for 10 meters.I've still got it on the ground.It's about 6 feet up on a tripod.After checking the swr,I heard a station in mexico calling cq contest...so I gave him a call we had a 59 qso lol.Can't wait to get it up on my tower

N8YX
07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Good job!

Have you decided what kind of tower/rotor setup you'll mount it atop?

W5GA
07-15-2012, 12:36 PM
I got my new 3 element beam for 10 meters.I've still got it on the ground.It's about 6 feet up on a tripod.After checking the swr,I heard a station in mexico calling cq contest...so I gave him a call we had a 59 qso lol.Can't wait to get it up on my tower
Good job! Beams are a lot of fun.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but contest QSO's are always 59, even if it takes 20 minutes to get the calls straight.

kk4fpx
07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I've got it mounted on my short 17 foot tower about three foot higher than the tower itself.My son came over and helped me get it up today.I talked local on it for a while before the popup storms came thru.I don't know if it was 59 on the Mexican side but he was 59 on mine and he did come back on my first call.

N7YA
07-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Good job! Beams are a lot of fun.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but contest QSO's are always 59, even if it takes 20 minutes to get the calls straight.

So true. But i must admit that i sure do enjoy hearing those numbers coming my way after 2.5 hours of chasing one i need. :-D

W5GA
07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
So true. But i must admit that i sure do enjoy hearing those numbers coming my way after 2.5 hours of chasing one i need. :-D

Did you listen to any of the recent UA4WHX operations? He was giving out real reports. But regardless, it's always great when you finally get through.

WØTKX
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
If I really care about a signal report, I ask the other station "how many S Units are my peaks above your noise level"?

Then (two tone) whistle, or throw out a series of CW dashes. Never ask during a contest or DX pile-up tho. :lol:

S-Meters are screwy, and subjective as well, but "how loud above the noise level" is all that matters.

For instance, 6 S-Units+ above the noise is an excellent and objective report, no matter what.

N8YX
07-16-2012, 07:05 PM
We always said "What am I puttin' on yer gauge?"

Pretty sure it caused some of the TPB (Tight Panties Brigade) to stroke out...:whistle:

N7YA
07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Did you listen to any of the recent UA4WHX operations? He was giving out real reports. But regardless, it's always great when you finally get through.

He's good like that. hes given me a few new ones over the years. 599 or not, i like hearing my call correctly...but if i can find out how i am really doing over there, all the better. It helps to have that info.

W7XF
07-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Ask him how many pounds you were hitting him with xD

N7YA
07-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Roooooooooo-ger! (beep) Ya got the super-dee-duper mudduck crawlin' up yer coax and into yer earhole! 10-10 and listnin in, C' MOWN!

kb2vxa
07-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Oh crap, you just reminded me of something...

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't got for help...no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

Well, I am the slime from your radio
Oozin' jus' oozin' down your leg