PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive Media Console = Garbage In

N2NH
07-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Just tried to download a music file from my local library. Upon downloading, I was advised by a little box that appeared onscreen that.to play it I needed Overdrive Media Console. I downloaded it, but then immediately after I installed it, ODM opened a box of it's own that advised me to upgrade it's security so it could play DRM (Digital Rights Management) files. ODM couldn't open it, and after trying thrice with FireFox, I realized there was a reason they advised using Internet Explorer. I used that and was treated to, VOILA! a third visitation by the magical advisory box stating that to download that piece of the puzzle, I had to update Windows Media Player too!

After all this, I went to play the music file, supposedly a .WMA file but with an .ODM suffix. The file had not been downloaded so ODM did that.

After an hour of being jerked around, ODM then refused to play the file. It didn't even dignify itself with a magic box to insult me further. Having found out I had become a software slut and would jump through any flaming hoop it could devise, ODM didn't wouldn't even sniff at me in disdain. I had ceased to exist and the file I had set my heart on hearing just stayed listed in the que not getting played.

It is off of my system, and my personal advice is to forego installing this dog on yours. I was wondering what all the hoopla over DRM was. The doomsayers may be right. This might just spell the end of entertainment both on and off of the computer.

Oh and ODM? Just a note to you. CCleaner is about to snip whatever nuggets of crap you've left behind on my computer. May the bird of paradise crap on your head.

K7SGJ
07-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Would have been easier to get some of the musicians on here together, form an Island band, and play the song for you.

n6hcm
07-15-2012, 01:57 AM
this kinda crap is forced on the libraries by the publishers. it's just as much a PITA for them as it is for you. be sure to let your library know how ODM failed to serve your content needs.

N2NH
07-15-2012, 07:51 PM
this kinda crap is forced on the libraries by the publishers. it's just as much a PITA for them as it is for you. be sure to let your library know how ODM failed to serve your content needs.
Good idea. The book version worked perfectly. But you have to use a computer to download the books then use the program (by adobe) to copy it to the nook. A bit overly complicated for me but it works. Same procedure for the Kindle.

n2ize
07-16-2012, 01:05 PM
I presume that ODM also requires Windows ? If so that would be a big minus around here. If a vendor/publisher is not saavy or sophisticated enough to support Linux and Mac then I generally don't bother with their product, unless of course it's part of a project that I am getting paid for. Otherwise its not worth the bother.

KG4NEL
07-18-2012, 03:38 PM
This might just spell the end of entertainment both on and off of the computer.

Nah, we're just all gone to torrents. :)

n6hcm
07-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Good idea. The book version worked perfectly. But you have to use a computer to download the books then use the program (by adobe) to copy it to the nook. A bit overly complicated for me but it works. Same procedure for the Kindle.

you might want to get ebooks from your library's web site--then you don't have to use the overdrive media console and (if your library participates) you can get your ebooks over the air for your kindle ... but yes, it still stinks. some kindle books have to be downloaded and put on your device with a cable (dunno why--it's crap), but these are a relative handful ...

don't know if OMC is limited to windows--that's where i used it the one time i used it (i use the website directly and get my kindle books over the air).