PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting :: Unreal :: Denver area oral surgeon reuses needles

W4GPL
07-12-2012, 11:10 PM
An investigation began after a report of unsafe injection practices.

During the investigation, the health department determined syringes and needles used to inject medications through patients' IV lines were saved and reused.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/277306/339/Oral-surgeon-may-have-exposed-patients-to-HIV

Local news reports the "average cost" of these things are 17 cents... 17 tiny pennies. "Excuse me Sir, mind if I charge you $0.17 more so you don't get HIV?" -- "Uhhh.. yes?"

Because it was injected via an IV, the risk is 'low', but Christ on a stick.. what an asshole.

KG4CGC
07-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Time for Dr. Stephen Stein to get out of the business. Spend a little time pushing a broom in a state sponsored forced housing unit.

N7YA
07-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Or sit in his own chair and have a tweeker do a root canal on him.

W5GA
07-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Or sit in his own chair and have a tweeker do a root canal on him.
With a Black and Decker drill.

NQ6U
07-13-2012, 07:41 AM
With a Black and Decker drill.

Milwaukee Hole Hawg

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/lFjT-Qg94S4jYaLle75oLfhMxyMw995ytNkDeIP-72340V3rV1zO4Ga5kfGxe-XVko0vh5GAVhM_j2ZFBZSac1Cxkfbr2Bl1DFYSH4ox7woHp-L0xCL1E0bINSZYrtTkes7chiBsPwK6osXSXhIiZifIoFsF7ETS QN8MMeCtYZ4mVcc9eHASZgzZ_c8MBKrVuBow_rokdm2ZLoG77V FON55XkR4

N8YX
07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Milwaukee Hole Hawg
That what they're calling certain female H-D passengers these days? :chin:

NY3V
07-13-2012, 08:08 AM
An investigation began after a report of unsafe injection practices.

During the investigation, the health department determined syringes and needles used to inject medications through patients' IV lines were saved and reused.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/277306/339/Oral-surgeon-may-have-exposed-patients-to-HIV

Local news reports the "average cost" of these things are 17 cents... 17 tiny pennies. "Excuse me Sir, mind if I charge you $0.17 more so you don't get HIV?" -- "Uhhh.. yes?"

Because it was injected via an IV, the risk is 'low', but Christ on a stick.. what an asshole.

He must have caught that Romney Fever to save money at the expense of his customers.

n2ize
07-13-2012, 01:44 PM
How cheap can a person get ? Dope addicts don't even reuse them anymore. I mean these are disposable syringes. You can get boxes of 100 for under $20 bucks. A dentist can't afford that ?

kf0rt
07-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Not to downplay the issue here, but these were needles used to inject drugs into IV lines. It's not like they pulled a needle out of Bob's arm and then plugged the same needle into Karen's arm after wiping it off on a pair of dirty dungarees*. Risk of disease transmission is very close to zero. In fact, kind of hard to figure how it'd be anything but zero. I'd be more worried about cross contamination of drugs, but since this was a dentist's office, my bet is they only ever injected one type of drug.

I don't think I'd be worried if I was a patient. Sure wouldn't go back, though -- if they're skimping on that, who knows what else they're doing.

*A word you don't see too often.

W4GPL
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Yes, and I said that in my initial post, but it's still an absolutely abhorrent breach of basic medical practices. You say you wouldn't be worried but I'd like to see how you really feel if you had actually been to this particular dentist. Even if the risk is 0.0001%, I'd be concerned.

n2ize
07-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Not to downplay the issue here, but these were needles used to inject drugs into IV lines. It's not like they pulled a needle out of Bob's arm and then plugged the same needle into Karen's arm after wiping it off on a pair of dirty dungarees*. Risk of disease transmission is very close to zero. In fact, kind of hard to figure how it'd be anything but zero. I'd be more worried about cross contamination of drugs, but since this was a dentist's office, my bet is they only ever injected one type of drug.

I don't think I'd be worried if I was a patient. Sure wouldn't go back, though -- if they're skimping on that, who knows what else they're doing.

*A word you don't see too often.
It doesn;t matter. These are plastic disposable devices. A dentist cannot afford them ?? yeah the risk may be low but there is still no excuse.

kf0rt
07-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Yes, and I said that in my initial post, but it's still an absolutely abhorrent breach of basic medical practices. You say you wouldn't be worried but I'd like to see how you really feel if you had actually been to this particular dentist. Even if the risk is 0.0001%, I'd be concerned.

Agree on the breach part, but in this case, I wouldn't be too worried. Fluids rarely travel upstream in IV lines, or am I wrong?

Definitely don't agree with the practice, but I'm betting that no real harm was done.

W4GPL
07-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm certainly not a medical expert, so I don't know if you're wrong. But I imagine if an IV is administered improperly, it could result in bleeding into the tube. Just an ugly scenario, I agree the risk is low, but if I was a patient, I'd be nervous and feel extremely violated. I hope his malpractice premiums were paid up.

KG4CGC
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I'd wonder what he does to female patients when they're out cold.
(see what I did there?)

n2ize
07-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Agree on the breach part, but in this case, I wouldn't be too worried. Fluids rarely travel upstream in IV lines, or am I wrong?

Definitely don't agree with the practice, but I'm betting that no real harm was done.

Maybe no harm was done but there is still no reason for the breach of proper medical practice. The cost of these syringes is low enough to condemn such reuse. Matter of fact most of these devices are clearly labeled, "SINGLE USE ONLY". What doesn't the dentist comprehend about that statement.

kb2vxa
07-14-2012, 05:10 PM
"I'd wonder what he does to female patients when they're out cold."
I'm more concerned about males, especially dogs, horses, sheep...

N7YA
07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Im not sure a horse would fit into the dentist chair.

NQ6U
07-14-2012, 05:23 PM

My own experience with dentists suggests that if there's someone to foot the bill, a way would be found to fit the horse into the chair.

N7YA
07-14-2012, 05:38 PM
True.

n2ize
07-14-2012, 07:41 PM

If it sits on the floor ir will.

XE1/N5AL
07-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Horses have BIG teeth. I wonder how much it would cost for a triple crown?

KG4CGC
07-14-2012, 11:19 PM
"I'd wonder what he does to female patients when they're out cold."
I'm more concerned about males, especially dogs, horses, sheep...

You can't rape the willing.

ki4itv
07-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Betting the trifecta would probably cost you less.

N7YA
07-15-2012, 04:23 AM

Atta boy!! THATS what we were looking for! :clap: