PDA

View Full Version : Recording Tape

n2ize
07-12-2012, 04:39 PM
In this digital world I am looking to resurrect one of my old reel to reel tape machines, mainly just for fun, but possible with purpose as well. I am noticing it's not easy to find blank recording tape these days, seems like the only reel to reel tape around these days is old stock. I'll guess I'll have to head over to Amazon or Ebay and see if I can find some new old stock at a reasonable price.

If anyone is aware of any other good sources I am all ears. :-D

NQ6U
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
You can always crochet your own.

kf0rt
07-12-2012, 04:52 PM
What size? There are a few companies that still sell new quarter-inch tape, but it's expensive: http://usrecordingmedia.com/rmlp341x18on.html

What kinda deck you playing with there, John?

NQ6U
07-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Seriously, John, I may have some 1/4" audio tape around here, although I don't know what kind of shapes it's in. If I can find it, it's yours.

n2ize
07-12-2012, 05:05 PM
What size? There are a few companies that still sell new quarter-inch tape, but it's expensive: http://usrecordingmedia.com/rmlp341x18on.html

What kinda deck you playing with there, John?

Nothing fancy. Just standard 1/4" analog open reel audio tape, the kind that was cimmon back in the 50's, 60's and 70's for home and general purpose use. I have 2 machines that use this type of tape. One is a Tandberg reel to reel machine (vintage probably Early 60's). It is self contained with built in tube amplifier and magic "green eye" recording level indicator. Last I tried it it worked although it mnay have to be recapped. The other is a large TEAC reel to reel deck (vintage late 60's early 1970's) common among audiophiles back in the day.

n2ize
07-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Seriously, John, I may have some 1/4" audio tape around here, although I don't know what kind of shapes it's in. If I can find it, it's yours.

Much thanks. Let me know if you find it. I'll pay the shipping or whatever costs may be incurred.

I have a few old tapes around here that I recorded back in the 70's. They still play but are quite deteriorated and have a lot of breaks where old splices wore out.. One of the tapes features me at the age of about 13 or 14 where I was talking with a group of people (family members) and I was standing up for the anti-Vietnam war protesters and criticizing the way the cops pushed them around and roughed them up on the news the night before. Why I was rolling tape at that time I don't know. I guess I used to record everything back then.

ab1ga
07-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Much thanks. Let me know if you find it. I'll pay the shipping or whatever costs may be incurred.

I have a few old tapes around here that I recorded back in the 70's. They still play but are quite deteriorated and have a lot of breaks where old splices wore out.. One of the tapes features me at the age of about 13 or 14 where I was talking with a group of people (family members) and I was standing up for the anti-Vietnam war protesters and criticizing the way the cops pushed them around and roughed them up on the news the night before. Why I was rolling tape at that time I don't know. I guess I used to record everything back then.

Think twice about "new old stock". Unlike most electronic components, oxide separation and tape stickiness can occur in as little as ten years, whether the tape has been used or not. Before you buy the tape, make sure you can find a reliable source of head cleaner as well.

WØTKX
07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I've been thinking about getting an old Akai or Pioneer auto reverse reel to reel. Used to service 'em.

Here's a good place for tape... http://reeldealpa.com/shop/

W1GUH
07-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Nothing fancy. Just standard 1/4" analog open reel audio tape, the kind that was cimmon back in the 50's, 60's and 70's for home and general purpose use. I have 2 machines that use this type of tape. One is a Tandberg reel to reel machine (vintage probably Early 60's). It is self contained with built in tube amplifier and magic "green eye" recording level indicator. Last I tried it it worked although it mnay have to be recapped. The other is a large TEAC reel to reel deck (vintage late 60's early 1970's) common among audiophiles back in the day.

How's the rubber, particularly the pinch roller? That's been the bane of my attempts resurrect some hissettes here.

N7YA
07-29-2012, 09:53 PM
That reminds me, i have an old DAT machine here. Used to be the standard last leg item in major recording studios...just need to find DAT tapes.

N7YA
07-29-2012, 09:54 PM
I've been thinking about getting an old Akai or Pioneer auto reverse reel to reel. Used to service 'em.

Here's a good place for tape... http://reeldealpa.com/shop/

Says its a dead linky.

edit: Nevermind...just the home page says that, i went right to the tape section.