PDA

View Full Version : CNN

W5GA
07-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Just got this via email. Great morning laugh.

As a proud member of the Time Warner
family, CNN is not just searching for people with degrees in journalism or
telecommunications. We want employees who -- above all -- have a passion for
delivering news in fast, accurate and compelling ways to the global public. As
the world's largest and most prestigious network, CNN is interested in creative
and energetic people with diverse perspectives and talents to participate in the
company's growth. more information... (wlmailhtml:{6BF83242-E2D7-4832-BE55-B44EAC855204}mid://00000060/!x-usc:http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001LC3tqmX3KdyPflKcDdga7U12vzxYAS_SNs_UMy C_dFRFTS4mN4N8Bk0NO-KOueFDqeplvz43-Je9k4Yhbv_xBQmS_T-0rSRNRYGpH9IL5xX7Jsleu8MyeA==)

W3WN
07-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Wha?

So CNN doesn't want people with technical skills who've been trained in how to report... they want people with passion who don't neccesarily know what the hell they are doing?

Are they trying to turn into FoxNews?

X-Rated
07-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Wha?

So CNN doesn't want people with technical skills who've been trained in how to report... they want people with passion who don't neccesarily know what the hell they are doing?

Are they trying to turn into FoxNews?

That ship sailed years ago.

N8YX
07-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Candidates with industrial experience - especially in the fabrication specialties - to the head of the line, please.

KJ3N
07-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Candidates with industrial experience - especially in the fabrication specialties - to the head of the line, please.

Would they be in line before, or after, the candidates with experience in writing fiction?

N8YX
07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Would they be in line before, or after, the candidates with experience in writing fiction?
Good question. Is CNN an EOE? In that case, get both!

kf0rt
07-11-2012, 10:38 AM
As the world's largest and most prestigious network

Since when?

KG4CGC
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM

I'm thinking, "After you finish writing that 'news' piece. Grab the ladder and start changing burnt light tubes."

WØTKX
07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Sigh. I miss the heady days of fab and machine software as a potential career choice. Didn't last.

kb2vxa
07-11-2012, 07:39 PM
"Are they trying to turn into FoxNews?"

Faux News never was on the agenda, with the Turner brand on the can it's been Chicken Noodle News from day one. You know, chicken noodle soup without the chicken.

N7YA
07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Sigh. I miss the heady days of fab and machine software as a potential career choice. Didn't last.

Oh, and the days of being able to work in things like teaching and construction, and autoworker....thats a shrinking demographic.

kf0rt
07-11-2012, 09:24 PM

You might not like it today. It's totally overmanaged.

W5GA
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
autoworker....thats a shrinking demographic.
Most high schools I'm aware of don't even offer shop classes anymore. Thank NCLB.

N7YA
07-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Most high schools I'm aware of don't even offer shop classes anymore. Thank NCLB.

Im only in my mid-40s, but in high school, i remember classes such as Home Economics, sex ed, science (with chemicals, Van de Graff generators, electricity...real science!), Phys ed, drafting and graphics, art, music...oh, and a full school year that you had to go to. In many schools, teachers are underpaid, admin is overpaid, classes are huge, and subjects are slashed to the point of irrelevance...unless you pay exorberant amounts to send your kid to a private school, and even those are starting to suck.

My son is 17, he is a smart kid and into sports and learning, he has no idea what im talking about when i mention classes that i use to have. And every time i ask how school was, more often than not, i get the answer "Oh, i didnt have school today because its a 'staff development day'", or some admin day or some shit like that...basically, half the year we used to have to be there is gone now. These kids dont need to learn shit, apparently! Really went downhill in the last couple of decades. What they do have with regularity is gang fights, texting, lots of drug use, pregnant 13 year olds and a general lack of interest (all of that stuff, minus texting, we had in my high school too, but we also had classes, subjects and 5 day school weeks with a few holidays off). The kids are frustrated and disinterested.

I dont go to high school, i dont know first hand, but my son does, Thats coming from HIM!