PDA

View Full Version : My time to decide between a Canon vs Nikon grows short

K7SGJ
07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
I want to replace my Canon Rebel, and I need to do it before my wife closes the business at the end of the year. In the past, I always tended to lean towards Pentax, at least in the days of film. I never had a problem with any of them. Right now, I also have several PS Canon Elphs that I like for quickie shots of the dogs or the wildlife that shows up unannounced around here. I had a Canon AE-1 when it came on the market, and it was nice, too. It had many nice features. But with the advent of digital, and digital DSLR, I have used nothing but Canon. But now, I am looking pretty hard at the Nikon D7000, but I don't know of anyone that has any knowledge of it, other than internet feedback and hype from people I don't know. Then, there is the Canon 5D. Again, I know of no one with hands on experience.

While I am not a professional photographer, I enjoy doing creative things, and it's nice to have the tools that will do whatever I want to do, and both of the above seem to be comparable in features. Accessories abound for both, and there are a slop[jar full of after market goodies for both. I will keep the rebel in the truck all the time, except in 120 degree weather, for those unexpected photo ops, but for hard core setups and deliberate captures during trips or other excursions, I would like the enhanced capabilities of one of the newer cameras.

Do any of you have any first hand knowledge of either, had any hands on, or have any insight? Or maybe there is something else out there I should look at.
Thanks

click click

KG4CGC
07-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I've been using a Nikon D50 for 6 years. Wish I could tell you more about the new stuff especially when it comes to build quality. Both brands take GREAT pictures until you get anally hung up on subatomic micro fractured pixel count on a fractal and subfractal level. Generally speaking though, the smaller pixel count these days is 14 MPxls.

K7SGJ
07-08-2012, 09:57 AM
At my age, I doubt I'll do much fracting any more, but there is hope: and you know, pix or it didn't happen.

KG4CGC
07-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Rob has a couple of newer models. What say you, Rob?

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Do you have much of a lens investment in Canon?

My advice to newbs on DSLRs is to try both Canon and Nikon hands-on and see which works best for you. They handle differently and some folks have a strong preference one way or another. You may find that you like the Canon better. I prefer Nikon (hands down). I have used a 5D (MK II) and own a D7000 (and a D80). They all do a fantastic job, so for me it mostly boils down to ergonomics (how fast can I set this thing up to get the shot).

I think it's somewhat important to pick a system and stick with it just because of the lens expense. Also, be aware that the 5D is full frame while the D7000 is a DX sensor camera. A better comparison might be the D7000 and the Canon 7D. The 5D is a class above this (as evidenced by the price). The 5D competes with the Nikon D800 these days. This all has lens ramifications because of the sensor size. DX lenses are generally cheaper, but not well suited to FF bodies. FF lenses work great on DX bodies, though.

That said, I love the D7000. Got it about a year and a half ago and it's probably as much camera as I'll ever need. It's also at about my limit price-wise.

You really can't go wrong with any of these from a photographic standpoint -- they're all excellent. That's why "user preference" gets the nod here. Go with what feels more natural to you. I've found that with Canon, I have to "fiddle" to find stuff, but with the Nikon, it's all right there. Other people say just the opposite. My 35mm film background was mostly Pentax. All of my P&S cameras are Canon, though. Love that S95. ;)

I'd even suggest looking at the next line down from the D7000 / D7. The Nikon D5100 is a great camera (same sensor as the D7000). The new Canon T4i looks like it'd be worth consideration, too.

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I've been using a Nikon D50 for 6 years. Wish I could tell you more about the new stuff especially when it comes to build quality. Both brands take GREAT pictures until you get anally hung up on subatomic micro fractured pixel count on a fractal and subfractal level. Generally speaking though, the smaller pixel count these days is 14 MPxls.

The D50 is what hooked me on Nikon. Great camera.

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Here's an HDR shot from the D7000 taken last Thursday afternoon in Rocky Mountain National Park. Three bracketed shots (+/- 1.7 stops) handheld with the 18-105mm "kit" lens. HDR processed in Photomatix.

http://www.westton.com/misc/rmnp-hdr1.jpg

K7SGJ
07-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you have much of a lens investment in Canon?

My advice to newbs on DSLRs is to try both Canon and Nikon hands-on and see which works best for you. They handle differently and some folks have a strong preference one way or another. You may find that you like the Canon better. I prefer Nikon (hands down). I have used a 5D (MK II) and own a D7000 (and a D80). They all do a fantastic job, so for me it mostly boils down to ergonomics (how fast can I set this thing up to get the shot).

I think it's somewhat important to pick a system and stick with it just because of the lens expense. Also, be aware that the 5D is full frame while the D7000 is a DX sensor camera. A better comparison might be the D7000 and the Canon 7D. The 5D is a class above this (as evidenced by the price). The 5D competes with the Nikon D800 these days. This all has lens ramifications because of the sensor size. DX lenses are generally cheaper, but not well suited to FF bodies. FF lenses work great on DX bodies, though.

That said, I love the D7000. Got it about a year and a half ago and it's probably as much camera as I'll ever need. It's also at about my limit price-wise.

You really can't go wrong with any of these from a photographic standpoint -- they're all excellent. That's why "user preference" gets the nod here. Go with what feels more natural to you. I've found that with Canon, I have to "fiddle" to find stuff, but with the Nikon, it's all right there. Other people say just the opposite. My 35mm film background was mostly Pentax. All of my P&S cameras are Canon, though. Love that S95. ;)

I'd even suggest looking at the next line down from the D7000 / D7. The Nikon D5100 is a great camera (same sensor as the D7000). The new Canon T4i looks like it'd be worth consideration, too.

Fortunately, the lens situation isn't a deciding factor, yet. Like I said, my wife and I were Pentax fan early on, and had/have pretty much every lens imaginable, along with several bodies, auto winders, etc. A lot of good that does us now. I shot a lot of shit for the TV station I worked at back then. Free film and developing for company and personal use, what a deal. But I digress. That's why I need to decide which way to go now because I don't want to be invested in one or the other, and then decide to switch. To be honest, as much as I like Canon, and have been totaly happy with their product, I really am leaning towards the D7000. Maybe it's just because I want to try something different; I don't know. Between you and a couple of others I know with them, I don't think I will be disappointed, and, the learning curve shouldn't be that steep. Familiarization with the product is the main thing, and fortunately, it doesn't have to be done at the expense film/developing. As far as the T4 goes, I've looked at it, but would like a little more than it offers. I have a T3 which is okay, and it has served me well, but again, it is lacking. For everyday, leave it on the table, for that quick shot P&S, the Canon SX210 has been a nice little unit, with lots of nice features. We've used the hell out of it.

The Nikon, before additional lens and accessories is pretty near what I have to spend, and appears to have everything I need now or could want in the future. I guess what I'm looking for, is someone to give me a good reason NOT to go with the Nikon, but I doubt that's going to happen.

K7SGJ
07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Here's an HDR shot from the D7000 taken last Thursday afternoon in Rocky Mountain National Park. Three bracketed shots (+/- 1.7 stops) handheld with the 18-105mm "kit" lens. HDR processed in Photomatix.

Very nice. I would be quite happy with that.

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 11:07 AM
The Nikon, before additional lens and accessories is pretty near what I have to spend, and appears to have everything I need now or could want in the future. I guess what I'm looking for, is someone to give me a good reason NOT to go with the Nikon, but I doubt that's going to happen.

You'll love the D7000, Eddie. ;) It's relatively easy to use in the first place and there's not much learning curve if you've already used a digital SLR. The D7000 has about 10 billion settings, but an auto mode that actually works. I've found myself hooked on the "User" settings. Have U1 set for general purpose outdoor use. Aperture priority, ISO 200. U2 is the same thing, but bracketed for HDR (seem to be playing with that a bit). Flip it to U2 and set the shutter to high speed and it takes three shots real fast. Well built camera and it feels good in my fat hands -- it's got a lot of weather sealing that doesn't exist in lower models. Also love the dual memory slots and the fact that the battery lasts forever.

Now, about lenses.... :lol:

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Very nice. I would be quite happy with that.

Thanks. More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatanka/sets/72157630456539478/

These are about evenly split between the D7000 and the S95. Dare ya to tell the difference without peeking. ;)

KK4AMI
07-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks. More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatanka/sets/72157630456539478/

These are about evenly split between the D7000 and the S95. Dare ya to tell the difference without peeking. ;)

I just got back from a wedding over the weekend. Of course the Wedding Photographer had a Canon again. I see a lot of pros around here with Canon. I like Nikon because my first SLR was a Nikon FM-2. I bought lots of lenses for it, so when the Digital Age hit, I bought a Nikon D70, then upgraded to a used D200. The D200 is not one of Nikon's rip roaring best, but its a durable metal body camera with seals. I love outdoor photography (Animals, Sea, Woods and Mountains) so durability and water tight were a priority.

I upgraded on the lenses over the years, trying to buy full frame 35mm lenses. I'm hoping the prices come down on full frame 35mm digital, then someday I'll be ready to switch bodies with the wife's blessing.

I guess Computer, Software and Printer also rule in determining overall picture satisfaction.

KB3LAZ
07-09-2012, 06:23 AM

That is surreal, it looks like a painting. I am horrible with a camera. Thought I have a D3100, D40, and Coolpix S4150. Pilar can use them a hell of a lot better than I.

PA5COR
07-09-2012, 06:39 AM
I started in photography with a Leica with 90 mm lense,then CanonAE-1 with special 50 mm lense that was quite expensive, bought the Sigma 70 -210 lense, 28 mm fisheye, and a gaggle of filters etc, still have that in a cupboard, not woth a penny now...

Went to a snap and shoot Canon digital 7 Mpix 5 x optical zoom, and never made more pictures as now, i mostly carry it with me and have a 4 Gb card in it and a set fresh batteries.

Does a reasonable movie job too with sound.

I'm a sucker for Canon stuff, but there are much more knowledgable peeps here that progressed in the art of photography miles further as me, i got stuck in the film period, self developping and printing..., now all rather history...
My father in law still has his A1 Canon, the Leica, then Mamiya 6 cm film camera's, by went snap and shoot digital too., Canon of course...

So, better listen to the better knowledgable peeps here ;)

I'm AB1eh, Canon biased...;)

N7YA
07-11-2012, 12:23 AM
I have the Canon Rebel 400D, a solid midrange camera. But by no means would i call myself an Ansel Adams or anything. But i have a lot of fun with it and i know it takes great pictures. My boss has the D7000, and shes a bad ass. Some of her lenses cost more than a new rig.

NQ6U
07-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Waiting for John IZE to come and tell us that he doesn't like these new-fangled digital camera things and how he does all his photography using an 8x10 view camera and glass plates.

KG4CGC
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Waiting for John IZE to come and tell us that he doesn't like these new-fangled digital camera things and how he does all his photography using an 8x10 view camera and glass plates.

Well he does. With bellows.

PA5COR
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I thought clay tablets and chisel?

WØTKX
07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vXtvvmj8vNE/TS76DgQRnlI/AAAAAAAAAMk/DTM2us3DFF0/s1600/FLINTSTONES-CAMERA.jpg

W3WN
07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't have a DSLR (yet), but I've had a lot of success with the little Canon Powershot SX-120 we picked up a few years ago. While not a professional-level camera, for most of what I do, it's performed well above & beyond.

kf0rt
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I don't have a DSLR (yet), but I've had a lot of success with the little Canon Powershot SX-120 we picked up a few years ago. While not a professional-level camera, for most of what I do, it's performed well above & beyond.

Good choice, Ron. I use mid-level Nikon DSLR gear, well... because photography is a family hobby that goes back decades.

The little point and shoot cameras these days are quite good (excellent, when compared to their film counterparts). No reason at all to change if you like the results you're getting.

W1GUH
07-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Been a Canon fanatic since '75, so I'm not exactly dispassionate here, but here goes....

I've had a few Canon digitals (my last film camera was an A-1) and they've all been superb with what they did. All except the last two were point and shoots; models were S330 (2002), S400 (2004), S700 (2007), SX-100 (2008 ) and a G10 (also 2008 when I lost the G-10.)

The SLR's I've had are Albie's old Rebel (vintage 2002) which induced me to get the T3i just after the holidays when there were GOOD sales on them.

I LOVE that camera and it does everything well...but that's probably generally known. What I have to add is that ALL of those Canons were superb at focusing, exposing, and image processing, and that's been what I consider to be the hallmark of Canon cameras. I never used a Nikon and it's probable that if it had been a Nikon I started with I'd be singing the same praises about them. Guess this is a long-winded re-hash of the "try 'em both, see which one fits better in your hands and which one has what you think are the most convenient and intuitive creative-control functions. For example, with the T3i, menu access isn't necessary for most shooting. I'd guess the Nikons are the same.

On to supplied software. Canons come with a suite that's pretty complete. I mostly use Digital Photo Professional for it's batch processing in converting Canon's RAW format (.CR2) to .tif files. Again, though, I'd guess that Nikon has the same.

Do have to admit, though, that Canon never had a pop song written about it and Kodachrome! Well, TS...Kodachrome doesn't exist anyore, so there! But there is the Pachebel can(n)on - that might count?

One more point...you didn't say whch "Rebel" you're replacing. but it seems obvious it's a film camera? Could be that if you're used to that a digital Rebel (T3i or the new T4i?) will feel very familiar to you.

Enjoy!

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Ran across this today. Some really cool pix.

Damn. Having a problem with the link. Details to follow, film at ten. I hope.

Shit, never mind....................

W1GUH
08-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Just did, thank you very much. It was a good one. Thought you'd like to know....

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Just did, thank you very much. It was a good one. Thought you'd like to know....

No sweat. I'll forward some more. Wasn't the lighting and composition great? Ya bastid

W1GUH
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Oh....wasn't talking about the site you couldn't link to. I'd just come from the bank.....as in "no safer deposit."

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh....wasn't talking about the site you couldn't link to. I'd just come from the bank.....as in "no safer deposit."

Damn, retired and STILL got money?

W1GUH
08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Didn't say I was depositing money. Oh, OK, I see I'm being far too obtuse here...I'd just come from taking a shit. You told us to, and I was reporting I just did. There...straightened that out.

WØTKX
08-03-2012, 11:17 PM
You're a regular Rembrant. I like the way you used the corn for texture. ;)

K7SGJ
08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
The peanuts are a nice touch, too.

W1GUH
08-04-2012, 05:36 PM
It was a "regular" Baby Ruth bar.

K7SGJ
08-12-2012, 08:10 AM
You'll love the D7000, Eddie. ;) It's relatively easy to use in the first place and there's not much learning curve if you've already used a digital SLR. The D7000 has about 10 billion settings, but an auto mode that actually works. I've found myself hooked on the "User" settings. Have U1 set for general purpose outdoor use. Aperture priority, ISO 200. U2 is the same thing, but bracketed for HDR (seem to be playing with that a bit). Flip it to U2 and set the shutter to high speed and it takes three shots real fast. Well built camera and it feels good in my fat hands -- it's got a lot of weather sealing that doesn't exist in lower models. Also love the dual memory slots and the fact that the battery lasts forever.

Now, about lenses.... :lol:

I getting ready to order the D7000, but I'm curious about what lenses you have, what you use the most, and what gets little use? This bundle come with a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Lens. I think there is room for some lens to fill in a few gaps. Suggestions welcome. What accessories to you have that you like?

kf0rt
08-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I getting ready to order the D7000, but I'm curious about what lenses you have, what you use the most, and what gets little use? This bundle come with a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Lens. I think there is room for some lens to fill in a few gaps. Suggestions welcome. What accessories to you have that you like?

The 18-200 VR is a great "walk around" lens (don't own one, but have used it).

Price-wise (and if you don't mind changing lenses), you might consider the 18-105 VR (that's the standard kit lens for the D7000) and add the 70-300 VR. This is what I have, and use most. The 70-300 VR will give you a bit more reach than the 18-200 and I've found it to be a great performer. The 18-105 is no slouch and it's a true bargain because they make so many of them. Those two lenses probably cover about 95% of what I do, and the 18-105 gets a lot of use. I usually have the 70-300 on for things like the local Renaissance Faire and the beaches of Cancun. ;)

Been getting a bit more into macro stuff lately and have a 55mm f2.8 AIS (manual) lens, the 60mm f2.8 D (AF, but uses the screw drive) and the king of the Micro-Nikkor line, the 105mm AF-S 2.8 VR ED N. Wouldn't buy any of these unless you're into macro stuff. Probably the least-used lens I have is the 50mm f1.8 D. Great lens, just doesn't get used much. Keeping in mind that the D7000 has an APS-C sensor, all of these focal lengths get multiplied by 1.5 for comparison with 35mm film cameras.

The 18-200 is a fine choice, though. You might try it and see if you even need anything more -- it's the "only" lens for a lot of people and if I was only going to have one lens, that would probably be my choice. With VR and the high ISO capabilities of the D7000, the really fast lenses ($$$) aren't as important as they once were. The D7000 is really quite a lot of fun at ISO 6400 (but that's pushing things, so to speak).

Accessories... You'll want the ML-L3 remote (just get it, it's cheap). Amazed at how much that gets used. I've also got an SB-800 flash (now replaced by the SB-910). No idea why those things are so expensive, but they sure work well. Spare batteries... I'd considered getting the MB-D11 battery pack, but the D7000 is so low-power you don't really need it -- it really will do 1,000 shots on a charge. One spare so you can charge one while using the other is probably more than enough.

I'm not a big fan of the "comes with" camera straps. Don't care for the advertising, and they're just uncomfortable. I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TSZ0K6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01J46K07BJ44YJCEDB5Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846 Quick-disconnect and it has a pocket that's perfect for the little remote.

Of course, there's the other stuff, too. A decent card reader for the computer, a good tripod, camera bag, etc. I've been using 8Gig Sandisk Extreme memory cards (20 or 30 MB/s - fast enough for HD movies) -- don't shoot much RAW or movies and 8 Gig almost seems too big.

If you want a really good book on the D7000 (User's manual done right!), get Thom Hogan's e-book here: http://www.bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm The Nikon book explains WHAT. Thom explains WHY. 820 page PDF file with a bunch of other goodies.

Then, there's software... I've become a big fan of Adobe Lightroom over the last couple years. It handles most of my editing, but is also excellent for cataloging everything so you can find stuff easily. The latest version even interfaces to Blurb for making photo books and has a built-in mapping feature for off-line geotagging. For HDR, I use Photomatix Pro and just started looking at Zerene Stacker last weekend for focus stacking (that'll teach me for going to a George Lepp seminar).

Beyond all that, it's like ham radio. Just no end to the ways it can drain your wallet. :lol:

D7000 & 70-300 at max zoom:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7177341954_bb4d51e0d1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatanka/7177341954/)
Four Friends, Cancun Beach (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatanka/7177341954/) by tatanka01b (http://www.flickr.com/people/tatanka/), on Flickr

K7SGJ
08-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Price-wise (and if you don't mind changing lenses), you might consider the 18-105 VR (that's the standard kit lens for the D7000) and add the 70-300 VR. This is what I have, and use most. The 70-300 VR will give you a bit more reach than the 18-200 and I've found it to be a great performer. The 18-105 is no slouch and it's a true bargain because they make so many of them. Those two lenses probably cover about 95% of what I do, and the 18-105 gets a lot of use. I usually have the 70-300 on for things like the local Renaissance Faire and the beaches of Cancun. ;)

Been getting a bit more into macro stuff lately and have a 55mm f2.8 AIS (manual) lens, the 60mm f2.8 D (AF, but uses the screw drive) and the king of the Micro-Nikkor line, the 105mm AF-S 2.8 VR ED N. Wouldn't buy any of these unless you're into macro stuff. Probably the least-used lens I have is the 50mm f1.8 D. Great lens, just doesn't get used much. Keeping in mind that the D7000 has an APS-C sensor, all of these focal lengths get multiplied by 1.5 for comparison with 35mm film cameras.

The 18-200 is a fine choice, though. You might try it and see if you even need anything more -- it's the "only" lens for a lot of people and if I was only going to have one lens, that would probably be my choice. With VR and the high ISO capabilities of the D7000, the really fast lenses ($$$) aren't as important as they once were. The D7000 is really quite a lot of fun at ISO 6400 (but that's pushing things, so to speak).

Accessories... You'll want the ML-L3 remote (just get it, it's cheap). Amazed at how much that gets used. I've also got an SB-800 flash (now replaced by the SB-910). No idea why those things are so expensive, but they sure work well. Spare batteries... I'd considered getting the MB-D11 battery pack, but the D7000 is so low-power you don't really need it -- it really will do 1,000 shots on a charge. One spare so you can charge one while using the other is probably more than enough.

I'm not a big fan of the "comes with" camera straps. Don't care for the advertising, and they're just uncomfortable. I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TSZ0K6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01J46K07BJ44YJCEDB5Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846 Quick-disconnect and it has a pocket that's perfect for the little remote.

Of course, there's the other stuff, too. A decent card reader for the computer, a good tripod, camera bag, etc. I've been using 8Gig Sandisk Extreme memory cards (20 or 30 MB/s - fast enough for HD movies) -- don't shoot much RAW or movies and 8 Gig almost seems too big.

If you want a really good book on the D7000 (User's manual done right!), get Thom Hogan's e-book here: http://www.bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm The Nikon book explains WHAT. Thom explains WHY. 820 page PDF file with a bunch of other goodies.

Then, there's software... I've become a big fan of Adobe Lightroom over the last couple years. It handles most of my editing, but is also excellent for cataloging everything so you can find stuff easily. The latest version even interfaces to Blurb for making photo books and has a built-in mapping feature for off-line geotagging. For HDR, I use Photomatix Pro and just started looking at Zerene Stacker last weekend for focus stacking (that'll teach me for going to a George Lepp seminar).

Beyond all that, it's like ham radio. Just no end to the ways it can drain your wallet. :lol:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7177341954_bb4d51e0d1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatanka/7177341954/)
Four Friends, Cancun Beach (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatanka/7177341954/) by tatanka01b (http://www.flickr.com/people/tatanka/), on Flickr

Thanks for the info. I definitely want to get a 35 or 50, as I do like doing macros. Out here in the desert, there is a cornucopia of opportunities for shooting macro. The small flowers on the cactus, little critters running around, and if I get to Cancun, instead of taking a shot like yours, I would rather put on the 50, get real close, and, you know. Get knocked on my ass and have sand kicked in my Nikon.

I'll look into the lens' you listed, although I don't have much of a choice with the bundle I'm looking at. But they are other bundles from several other place.

kf0rt
08-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I definitely want to get a 35 or 50, as I do like doing macros. Out here in the desert, there is a cornucopia of opportunities for shooting macro. The small flowers on the cactus, little critters running around, and if I get to Cancun, instead of taking a shot like yours, I would rather put on the 50, get real close, and, you know. Get knocked on my ass and have sand kicked in my Nikon.

I'll look into the lens' you listed, although I don't have much of a choice with the bundle I'm looking at. But they are other bundles from several other place.

50mm for a macro lens almost seems too short to me. You really do have to get "on top of it" at that length. Here's a crop of a shot with the 60mm Micro-Nikkor 2.8 D (bigass Orb spider):

Was also going to mention that there are good deals to be had in used lenses. B&H is selling the 60mm new for $464. KEH has the same thing used in excellent condition for $286.

N7YA
08-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Looks like a cactus! Good shot there.

kf0rt
08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Here's one of those. This was taken with a little Canon S95 Point & Shoot camera, tho.

K7SGJ
08-31-2012, 09:36 AM

Well, received the D7000 a few days ago. I took your advice, and went with the 18-105 lens and I really like it. Picked up a couple of other lens, as well. Still have to order a few accessories yet, but will get to that soon, I hope. The used lens I got form KEH is like brand new. Thanks for turning me on to them. Now, I just need to take some time and RTFM and get familiar with some of the advanced features. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the bracketing works for me with Photomatrix. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of remodeling the kitchen, and I have walls open, walls down, electrical & plumbing AFU, a hole in the roof for a bigger roof jack to accommodate the new hood venting (rain forecasted tonight), etc. etc. etc. Hope to have this project finished in a couple of weeks, at least most of it. If my wife helps, add a week. I'll tell you one thing, it was a lot easier when I built the place, than it is to reno and try to retrofit the new stuff.

When I get some time and good photo ops, I'll post a few pix if they turn out; if not I'll just lie about it.

Thanks again for your help and advice, Rob; and that from everyone else, too.

kf0rt
09-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Well, received the D7000 a few days ago. I took your advice, and went with the 18-105 lens and I really like it. Picked up a couple of other lens, as well. Still have to order a few accessories yet, but will get to that soon, I hope. The used lens I got form KEH is like brand new. Thanks for turning me on to them. Now, I just need to take some time and RTFM and get familiar with some of the advanced features. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the bracketing works for me with Photomatrix. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of remodeling the kitchen, and I have walls open, walls down, electrical & plumbing AFU, a hole in the roof for a bigger roof jack to accommodate the new hood venting (rain forecasted tonight), etc. etc. etc. Hope to have this project finished in a couple of weeks, at least most of it. If my wife helps, add a week. I'll tell you one thing, it was a lot easier when I built the place, than it is to reno and try to retrofit the new stuff.

When I get some time and good photo ops, I'll post a few pix if they turn out; if not I'll just lie about it.

Thanks again for your help and advice, Rob; and that from everyone else, too.

Cool deal, Eddie! What lenses did you get? (BTW, you can use the D7K to document your work on the homestead there and learn the camera at the same time -- the "hobbies" aren't mutually exclusive). :stickpoke:

Bit of a hint on the HDR stuff (or what I do). Set the camera up for bracketing and whatever exposure you prefer. I've got mine set for +/- 1.7 stops at ISO 250 in P mode. Save this to one of the user settings (U1 or U2). Then, when you want to shoot HDR, switch the top dial to the U setting you saved and change the shutter selector to Ch (high-speed auto). You're ready to go -- hold the shutter button down and the D7000 will fire off three shots (bracketed) as fast as it can, and it'll stop after the 3rd shot. Hand-held HDR; it works. Nikon did a good job of this, but it needs to be understood. Flipping to a U setting just loads parameters; you can still adjust after the fact.

I use the other U setting as a "reset." A good way to get this complex beast back to a known state.

Hope to have some good pics when we get back from vacation here. Haven't been shooting as much as I'd like (been downright LAZY), but might have some good shots. One more friggin beer, and I might as well stay up all night.

</hic>

K7SGJ
09-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Cool deal, Eddie! What lenses did you get? (BTW, you can use the D7K to document your work on the homestead there and learn the camera at the same time -- the "hobbies" aren't mutually exclusive). :stickpoke:

Bit of a hint on the HDR stuff (or what I do). Set the camera up for bracketing and whatever exposure you prefer. I've got mine set for +/- 1.7 stops at ISO 250 in P mode. Save this to one of the user settings (U1 or U2). Then, when you want to shoot HDR, switch the top dial to the U setting you saved and change the shutter selector to Ch (high-speed auto). You're ready to go -- hold the shutter button down and the D7000 will fire off three shots (bracketed) as fast as it can, and it'll stop after the 3rd shot. Hand-held HDR; it works. Nikon did a good job of this, but it needs to be understood. Flipping to a U setting just loads parameters; you can still adjust after the fact.

I use the other U setting as a "reset." A good way to get this complex beast back to a known state.

Hope to have some good pics when we get back from vacation here. Haven't been shooting as much as I'd like (been downright LAZY), but might have some good shots. One more friggin beer, and I might as well stay up all night.

</hic>

Yep, that's what I've been doing. I've been shooting the progress with the remodel. When we built the place, I shot a ton of stills and video as we went along. It makes it nice when I need to see how I put something together, or how I ran the gas and plumbing. I'm still trying to get the rest of the VHS onto DVD before the tape goes bad or the VCR goes TU.

I was planning on using U1 for the HDR settings, but using U2 for a reset to a given starting point is a very good idea. I had no idea what I would use it for anyway. I'm really impressed with the versatility of the camera, but I can see it's going to take awhile to become familiar with all the controls on the body, not to mention all the menus. Way more advanced than thye old Canons.

As far as lens, I got the kit with the 18-105 instead of the 18-200. And since they must make a zillion of the 55-300 VR lenses, making it quite reasonable (plus a $150 instant rebate didn't hurt), I bought one of them for the longer hauls. Although I never used the x-300 lenses I had for previous cameras a whole lot, they are certainly nice when you need it. For the fixed lens, I found a used 60 in super condition. Doesn't even look used. I was debating between a 50, 55, or 60, and since all they had was a couple of 60s, that made the decision quite easy. As far as accessories, I only bought an extra battery, remote, and uv lenses for protection, and polarizers. Since I had several 32 Gb class 10 SDHC memory cards, I didn't have to order any extras. Having two mem slots is really cool for overflow, or storing multiple formats at the same time, too. After I get more use to it, maybe I'll find I need some other stuff, but for now, I have everything I think I need.

kf0rt
09-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Sounds like you're well on your way. I try to shoot all of the home projects, but often find myself halfway through before remembering the camera! Very useful for when you take things apart and are a little uncertain about getting it put back together correctly. Photos during disassembly can help a lot. (I usually use a pocket camera for this, though.)

The only reason I put HDR on U2 and use U1 for a "reset" is that I use the reset more than HDR and it's first on the dial. About 90% of the problems I've had with the D7000 (there haven't been many and ALL have been operator error) are due to a setting left over from the last time I used it. The two most common I have are leaving it in remote mode and leaving it in manual focus -- often both at the same time. In remote mode, the main shutter button won't work -- really don't understand the logic behind that; it should default to single-shot mode or something, IMHO. You get that great "Oh fsck, I broke it" feeling when you push the button and nothing happens. I've had mine since Christmas '10 and STILL make some of these mistakes. Getting a lot faster about getting to the "Oh, yeah" point, though.

Good choices of glass, I think. Let me know what you think of that 55-300 -- that's one I've never tried. My brother (has a D5100) is seriously looking at the new 18-300, but all the reviews aren't in, and that's a pretty heavy investment.

I use the second card for "ease of transition". That is, overflow. After it switches over (and when convenient), I shut the camera off, remove the #1 card, move the #2 card to the #1 slot and put a new card in the #2 slot. The camera seems to know what I'm doing and picks back up using the card in the #1 slot. Anal (I know), but I don't re-use the cards -- they become my "worst case scenario" for backup. Label them and put 'em in storage. And still far cheaper than film.

Just got back from a week in the Black Hills today and hope I got a few good shots. VERY lazy trip this round and didn't do as much photography as intended -- a little HDR and no panoramas. Brought along all the macro stuff and never used any of it. I think I had the 70-300 out of the bag once. Everything else was shot with the 18-105 or the Canon S95 belt-cam (at this age, fashion ain't a statement).

Hope to post a few...

kf0rt
09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Got up to Rocky Mountain National Park on Sunday (90 minute drive from here). Not great photography, but got a few pics with the D7000. Massaged/mangled a few with HDR and managed a few of a massive bull elk. I count 8 points on one side and 9 on the other.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatanka/sets/72157631569772685/ iff'n you're interested.

All taken with the 18-105mm VR "kit" lens. Had the 70-300 along, but it never left the bag. It was pretty hazy for the distance shots. Some pics from the Black Hills trip there, too.

K7SGJ
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Nice pix. I'll be glad when I finish with this damn kitchen so I can get out to Sedona, Prescott, and some other places up north when the leaves are changing. All I've really been able to shoot is the critters, my blown down Palo Verde tree, and a shitload of pixs of the demo and rebuild in the kitchen.