PDA

View Full Version : iT'S 103

ka4dpo
07-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I just checked the tem and it is 103 degrees, hottern hocky sticks... Tomorrow we are likely to have the the same kind of nasty storms that knocked out our power last week. Try sleeping in a house with no AC when it's +90 outside and humid as crap.

n2ize
07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Fortunately in this area most of our heatwaves are somewhat blunted. If the official temps call for 98 we'll generally see 91 in this locale. Likewise, most of our heatwaves end with nary a drop opf rain or a clap of thunder. Storms (sometimes very severe) pass to our south and north leaving this area unscathed. Even when storms do hit they tend to be shifted away from us giving us the mildest impact. The same happens in winter. NYC will get a foot of snow, areas north of us will get a foot or more and this area will get 4 or 5 inches.

Last summer when NYC saw 104 degrees this area only saw about 96-98.

N8YX
07-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Animals are really suffering in this heat. Had a groundhog come ambling around my driveway looking for water, so I put a couple bowls of it out for thirsty passers-by.

n2ize
07-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Animals are really suffering in this heat. Had a groundhog come ambling around my driveway looking for water, so I put a couple bowls of it out for thirsty passers-by.

It's been a brutal heat wave. Fortunately there is supposed to be a break in the heat in some areas. For a little while at least.

KC2UGV
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
I think the humidity broke here finally. It was quite nice outside today. 85 deg, and low humidity now that we got our rain. Expecting more tonight.

n2ize
07-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I think the humidity broke here finally. It was quite nice outside today. 85 deg, and low humidity now that we got our rain. Expecting more tonight.

Hah !! You should have been down here this afternoon. Not only was it hot but incredibly humid. All you could do was drip sweat. And it's still not much better. Somewhat cooler but still in the 80's and nasty humid. I'm doing a barbecue tonight and I am about to go out for another round of sweating.

KC9ECI
07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I feel your pain. It's finally cooled off to a crisp 82 degrees and after the last few days we've had here, I feel like I should be wearing my winter jacket.

KC2UGV
07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Hah !! You should have been down here this afternoon. Not only was it hot but incredibly humid. All you could do was drip sweat. And it's still not much better. Somewhat cooler but still in the 80's and nasty humid. I'm doing a barbecue tonight and I am about to go out for another round of sweating.

That's how it's been here. Mid 80's in the morning, and mid 90's by midday; with 90% humidity.

NQ6U
07-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Hit 81°F here today. Don't know the exact humidity but it was low, as usual, seeing how the Islets are essentially a desert. Very pleasant.

KJ3N
07-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Made it to 102 according to my outside thermometers. JFC....

WØTKX
07-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Major rain and cooler temps. Colorado is no longer burning.

Lighting has slagged some equipment at work, however. Fun times!

kds
07-07-2012, 11:01 PM
We are down to 79 where I'm at now. Time to go for a stroll.

This flight out of DC was cancelled, apparently the pavement wasn't good enough to withstand 100-degree temps and the plane sunk into the pavement a bit: http://i.imgur.com/Ir3wJ.jpg

KG4CGC
07-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Last Sunday it was 109 and the rest of the week was 98 to 102 and before that we were hitting 100- 106. Expecting some cooler temps after Sunday- 7/8.
78º on Tuesday. I'm going to need a jacket.

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Major rain and cooler temps. Colorado is no longer burning.

Lighting has slagged some equipment at work, however. Fun times!

61 and STILL raining this morning. This is poifect.

ka4dpo
07-08-2012, 08:17 AM
We are expecting strong storms again this evening and since my new truck won't fit in the garage I plan to park it in the city garage just in case there is hail. Don't want my baby to get dinged up.

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 08:32 AM
We are expecting strong storms again this evening and since my new truck won't fit in the garage I plan to park it in the city garage just in case there is hail. Don't want my baby to get dinged up.

What'ya get?

n2ize
07-08-2012, 10:43 AM
I was actually expecting strong storms here and for a while it felt (and looked) like we would get them. It was blazing hot, terribly humid, and the sky was turning that milky/hazy/ greyish-bluish white. But then it cleared up and nothing happened. I must admit I was a bit worried. I was afraid we might get hit with one of those derecho winds that happened just south of us last week.

n2ize
07-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Still hot here. Highs today are expected to be around 90. But, much cooler tomorrow, only 83 for the forecast high and most of next week they are only calling for 80-85 degrees as the highs.

Well, just think. Days are already getting shorter and nights longer. Pretty soon school will be open, temperatures will be getting nippy, lakes and rivers will freeze and snow will fall and we can piss and moan about the cold, ice, snowstorm, etc... Unless of course we get a winter like the last one.

KC2UGV
07-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Still hot here. Highs today are expected to be around 90. But, much cooler tomorrow, only 83 for the forecast high and most of next week they are only calling for 80-85 degrees as the highs.

Well, just think. Days are already getting shorter and nights longer. Pretty soon school will be open, temperatures will be getting nippy, lakes and rivers will freeze and snow will fall and we can piss and moan about the cold, ice, snowstorm, etc... Unless of course we get a winter like the last one.

Our lakes haven't froze completely in 3 years :(

KJ3N
07-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Our lakes haven't froze completely in 3 years :(

Climate Change is a myth. :stickpoke:

WX7P
07-08-2012, 11:30 AM
97 here yesterday in Sac. Currently 75 outside and climbing fast. We may break 100 today, which would suck.

kds
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Finally cooled off. It's 82 here right now, which was just about the average nightly low for the past week. It got down to 75 last night, so I opened up my windows and let the apartment air out overnight.

n2ize
07-08-2012, 05:02 PM
After a stretch of hot weather you start getting used to it. For instance you get hit with temps in the hundreds and when it drops back into the 90's you feel comfortable to the point where you don;t even think of putting on the air conditioner. Now I know how people in the old days managed without ac. They simply took the heat and got used to it.

kf0rt
07-08-2012, 05:15 PM
After a stretch of hot weather you start getting used to it. For instance you get hit with temps in the hundreds and when it drops back into the 90's you feel comfortable to the point where you don;t even think of putting on the air conditioner. Now I know how people in the old days managed without ac. They simply took the heat and got used to it.

Humidity is one of the reasons I don't think I could live there. Fires aside, at least out here when the heat hits triple digits, it drives the humidity into the single digits. There really is something to the "dry heat" thing.

N8YX
07-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Went for a 37-miler on the Ohio-Erie Towpath Trail/Olde Muskingum Trail about 10 this morning. Got back around 2:30 - temps started out in the low 70s, cloudy and about 50% RH. Comfortable riding conditions. About noon things started heating up/heading downhill; by the time we hit the trailhead at the end of the ride it was 88 degrees, bright sunshine and the humidity had risen into the 70+% area. Not fun - while tiring, this particular ride isn't draining...but both of us got our a$$es kicked today. Averaged 8MPH on the last several miles; down from our usual 15.

n2ize
07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Climate Change is a myth.
:stickpoke:

It's a natch cycle.

n2ize
07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Humidity is one of the reasons I don't think I could live there. Fires aside, at least out here when the heat hits triple digits, it drives the humidity into the single digits. There really is something to the "dry heat" thing.

What we could really use is some "cold heat". :)

kb2vxa
07-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Last evening the heatwave went out with quite a bang, the worst storm I've seen in years. A horizontal downpour with lightning galore left numerous fires, downed trees and power lines in its wake, branches everywhere. No damage to my neighborhood while the scanner told the tale of what happens when Zeus gets angry. The coming week looks good, normal summer weather... for now.

KJ3N
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd be happy with some rain.

Except for a little bit on Friday 6/29, there hasn't been fuck all for rain. While lots of places to the south of me got hit with major damage, you would be hard pressed to know we had even a drop of rain here, let alone any wind.

Brown is not a fitting color for a lawn...

KG4NEL
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Went for a 37-miler on the Ohio-Erie Towpath Trail/Olde Muskingum Trail about 10 this morning. Got back around 2:30 - temps started out in the low 70s, cloudy and about 50% RH. Comfortable riding conditions. About noon things started heating up/heading downhill; by the time we hit the trailhead at the end of the ride it was 88 degrees, bright sunshine and the humidity had risen into the 70+% area. Not fun - while tiring, this particular ride isn't draining...but both of us got our a$$es kicked today. Averaged 8MPH on the last several miles; down from our usual 15.

I'm 3 min/mile off my normal pace :(

At this point, I'd run in the rain if it meant 80 degrees instead of 100+. Looking like I'll get my wish this week.

VE7DCW
07-09-2012, 01:59 AM
We're just finishing off the niceset week of weather thats happened around here in 6 months! ..... it's finally warmed up to low the 20's Celsius ....so much so that it's caused a temperature inversion that has allowed smoke from all those Colorado wildfires to follow the warm air currents from the south to invade the airspace here! ..... you can see the heavy smoke haze during the day and see the light from the streetlights reflect off the smoke particles at night..... to smell the smoke of burning trees in Colorado is quite something .... I thought we had a few fires burning in the area,but because of all the wet weather that we've had lately,our fire season has'nt begun yet. :-|

N7YA
07-09-2012, 05:49 AM

Good man. Shows your character.

Yeah...112 today in the desert. Like living in an oven, cant touch anything. Seriously, you get first degree burns, and thats the truth. I cant wait to move away from here.

WX7P
07-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Yeah...112 today in the desert. Like living in an oven, cant touch anything. Seriously, you get first degree burns, and thats the truth. I cant wait to move away from here.

Where would you go? Seems like you've been everywhere, so at least you know what you will be getting into.

International Falls, MN?

Maine?

Alaska? (Hey, you can look up my ex-wife!)

Idaho?

Huh, huh?

n2ize
07-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Don't go to anyplace too cold. It will be like thermal shock. I've never been to the SouthWest. I would like to visit someday. Frankly I don;t know if I would be able to stand that heat. I mean 80's, 90;s even an occaisional 100 or so I can deal with. But 112+ ?? I really don't know.

n2ize
07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm 3 min/mile off my normal pace :(

At this point, I'd run in the rain if it meant 80 degrees instead of 100+. Looking like I'll get my wish this week.

In my younger years I remember getting heat stroke playing baseball in the mid day sun on a 100 degree day. Not a good feeling. It's hot but you start feeling chills, weakness, muscle aches. Feels like a flu coming on but scarier. A friend of mine drove me to his place and I sat there with a jug of cold water in the nice air conditioned room, dripping sweat like a raincloud and slowly recovering.

Funny thing is I used to run miles in heat like that and never got heatstroke. The big difference was the sun. I would always run in the evenings when the sun was going down.

N7YA
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Where would you go? Seems like you've been everywhere, so at least you know what you will be getting into.

International Falls, MN?

Maine?

Alaska? (Hey, you can look up my ex-wife!)

Idaho?

Huh, huh?

Ive been everywhere in the CONUS, thats about it...ive never even been to Hawaii. I promise, you've been more places than me.

Its 113 today, by the way.

kf0rt
07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Looks like the rain may be over here for now. Real nice while it lasted. Back into the 80's and 90's starting tomorrow.

N7YA
07-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Just got back in from running errands...8pm, and STILL 113! What the hell! Its against code in Clark County to erect a livable structure without A/C. I drove in this valley many years ago without it, i dont know what i was thinking, but its useless to shower before going out.

KC2UGV
07-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Well, finally broke here. Waiting for my bus this morning, I had a heavier, long sleeved button down on, and I was a little chilly. 62 Deg F right now (If I recall correctly).

The main thing I hate about these heat waves (Or like), is that it feels downright cold when it finally breaks.

N7YA
07-10-2012, 07:33 AM
90 F right now. 5:30am.

KK4AMI
07-10-2012, 07:53 AM
We have a week of 80s and rain. It actually feels good. After the power failures and heat, people are screaming around here to bury the power lines so the trees won't keep knocking them down. Apparently the power companies said buried power lines run $800,000 a mile and it would cost them about $83 Million to do this area of Virginia. Good Grief, does that sound right?

KC2UGV
07-10-2012, 07:59 AM
We have a week of 80s and rain. It actually feels good. After the power failures and heat, people are screaming around here to bury the power lines so the trees won't keep knocking them down. Apparently the power companies said buried power lines run $800,000 a mile and it would cost them about $83 Million to do this area of Virginia. Good Grief, does that sound right?

Sounds like some great jobs to be had doing all of that work. Sounds a little high, though.

PA5COR
07-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Yes, actually it even seems low.
All power lines here are burried, exclusing the main H.V. lines 380 and 500 KV lines.
We do have sections of 380KV lines burried going through environmental sensitive sections but just 30 miles max length or so.

Outages are almost unheard off, we had once a 3 hour outage because a transformer house blew up, all in the last 25+ years here.

Combining diggingworks with water telephone and glassfiber electricity and gas lines saves money to do the jobs all at once.

ka4dpo
07-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Yep it's right. It costs between $700,000.00 to $1,000,000.00 per mile. Don't forget all of the poles have to be removed and a bunch of existing infrastructure like roads, sewer, water, sidewalks, buildings, etc have to be dealt with. It's cheaper for the power companies to just fix the stuff every three or four years. Besides, they would shift the cost to you and me, the customers so our power bills would go up a lot. I think they should bury the stuff in increments over a fifteen or twenty year time frame to keep our out of pocket costs reasonable.

I see you are in Charlottesville, how long were you without power down there?

KK4AMI
07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Some folks were out a week, but our neighborhood was without for 3 days. I wasn't really without. I have a backup generator.

n2ize
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Yeah, that sounds about right. Don't expect it to happen anytime soon though.