PDA

View Full Version : Higgs Boson Found—almost

NQ6U
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
All signs say yes (http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/02/12529401-has-the-higgs-boson-been-found-signs-point-to-almost), but...

Scientists at America's top particle-physics facility, Fermilab, today revealed their almost-final array of almost-strong evidence for the existence of the elusive Higgs boson — in advance of what's expected to be the almost-discovery of the subatomic particle at the Large Hadron Collider, almost half a world away.

NQ6U
07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
5 Questions for the Higgs Boson Particle

An Exclusive Interview

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report) – The Higgs boson particle has been everywhere these days – on TV, in newspapers and magazines, courtside at the NBA Finals with Kanye West. We caught up with him as he took a breather for the 4th of July, at his home in East Hampton.

Q: First of all – and I have to ask this – “God particle?” Really? Who started that?

A: I have gotten so much shit for that! (laughs) I don’t know where that started. Probably TMZ or somewhere! Look, if people want to call me that because they like what I do… well, I’m humbled. It’s cool to know that what you do makes people happy. I love my fans. But God particle? I don’t think so! I can’t even get my iPhone to sync. (laughs)

Q: Speaking of what you do… what do you do, exactly?

A: Probably what I’m best known for, for better or worse, is making atomic particles have mass. But I don’t want to be pigeonholed as that, because I don’t want to put limits on what I plan to do in the future. Like, right now I’m doing a lot of things that don’t involve atomic particles or mass or anything like that. For example, my menswear line. It’s a joint venture between me and Hugo Boss. It’s going to be called either Higgs Boss or Hugo Boson. Or we may go a whole different way and call it H. Biggy. My branding team is into it right now. I haven't been this excited about something I've been involved in since I created the universe. Also, there's gonna be a fragrance.

Q: There’s been a lot written about tension in your relationship with Peter Higgs, one of the scientists who discovered you. Any truth to the rumors?

A. Peter and I are both very passionate about what we do, and when you put a passionate human being and a passionate subatomic particle together there’s bound to be friction. We fight like brothers sometimes, but it’s only because we care so deeply about what we’re doing and we want to make it perfect. But as far as what happened in the club last week, no, I did not throw a bottle at his head.

Q: Okay, be honest, and no false modesty here: is there anything the Higgs boson can’t do?

A: Honest answer? I want to be considered the Michael Jordan of subatomic particles. By that I mean, Michael Jordan might not have been the most physically gifted player in the history of the NBA, but nobody worked harder at his game than he did. That’s what I’m all about. Whether it’s giving mass to matter, breaking electroweak symmetry or explaining the origin of the universe and whatnot, I believe I can do it all.

Q: Could you have kept Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise together?

A: Shit no! (laughs)

KG4CGC
07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
I think it is important to include the role of what we now call "Dark Matter" when talking on the subject of Higgs Boson. It is an absolute yin and yan type of relationship that has been only one sided until recently.

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
I found Higgs Boson. I was sitting on it.

suddenseer
07-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Another affirmation that leads one to conclude.

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Wasn't use of the HC originally supposed to destroy the world, or put it into another dimension, or something?

W3WN
07-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Wasn't use of the HC originally supposed to destroy the world, or put it into another dimension, or something?
We are in another dimension. Didn't you notice?

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
We are in another dimension. Didn't you notice?

I guess I've been on the Island so long, it's hard to tell.

suddenseer
07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Read The Dancing Wu Li Masters to get an ancient view of what is going on now. One might conclude that humans have already described these new discoveries in astrophysics. It gets better.

KG4CGC
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM

You're thinking about when someone puts instant coffee in the microwave.

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
You're thinking about when someone puts instant coffee in the microwave.

Thank you. I knew it was something devastating.

KG4CGC
07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you. I knew it was something devastating.

You're Welcome. (dick)

W5GA
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Can we hear the whistle yet?

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Can we hear the whistle yet?

That's over thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> in the nekkid sky diving wimmen thread.

W5GA
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
That's over thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> in the nekkid sky diving wimmen thread.
Can't be, all Boson's have a whistle.

N7YA
07-03-2012, 11:19 PM
5 Questions for the Higgs Boson Particle

An Exclusive Interview

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report) – The Higgs boson particle has been everywhere these days – on TV, in newspapers and magazines, courtside at the NBA Finals with Kanye West. We caught up with him as he took a breather for the 4th of July, at his home in East Hampton.

Q: First of all – and I have to ask this – “God particle?” Really? Who started that?

A: I have gotten so much shit for that! (laughs) I don’t know where that started. Probably TMZ or somewhere! Look, if people want to call me that because they like what I do… well, I’m humbled. It’s cool to know that what you do makes people happy. I love my fans. But God particle? I don’t think so! I can’t even get my iPhone to sync. (laughs)

Q: Speaking of what you do… what do you do, exactly?

A: Probably what I’m best known for, for better or worse, is making atomic particles have mass. But I don’t want to be pigeonholed as that, because I don’t want to put limits on what I plan to do in the future. Like, right now I’m doing a lot of things that don’t involve atomic particles or mass or anything like that. For example, my menswear line. It’s a joint venture between me and Hugo Boss. It’s going to be called either Higgs Boss or Hugo Boson. Or we may go a whole different way and call it H. Biggy. My branding team is into it right now. I haven't been this excited about something I've been involved in since I created the universe. Also, there's gonna be a fragrance.

Q: There’s been a lot written about tension in your relationship with Peter Higgs, one of the scientists who discovered you. Any truth to the rumors?

A. Peter and I are both very passionate about what we do, and when you put a passionate human being and a passionate subatomic particle together there’s bound to be friction. We fight like brothers sometimes, but it’s only because we care so deeply about what we’re doing and we want to make it perfect. But as far as what happened in the club last week, no, I did not throw a bottle at his head.

Q: Okay, be honest, and no false modesty here: is there anything the Higgs boson can’t do?

A: Honest answer? I want to be considered the Michael Jordan of subatomic particles. By that I mean, Michael Jordan might not have been the most physically gifted player in the history of the NBA, but nobody worked harder at his game than he did. That’s what I’m all about. Whether it’s giving mass to matter, breaking electroweak symmetry or explaining the origin of the universe and whatnot, I believe I can do it all.

Q: Could you have kept Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise together?

A: Shit no! (laughs)

H Biggy...i just hope its not that yellow banana looking shit. Those colors dont sit well on me. Im all for the God Particle clothing line, but its got to sit right...in the scientific community, of course.

n2ize
07-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Wingding.

X-Rated
07-05-2012, 06:25 AM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/science/cern-physicists-may-have-discovered-higgs-boson-particle.xml

ASPEN, Colo. - Signaling a likely end to one of the longest, most expensive searches in the history of science, physicists said Wednesday that they had discovered a new subatomic particle that looks for all the world like the Higgs boson, a key to understanding why there is diversity and life in the universe.

Like Omar Sharif materializing out of the shimmering desert as a man on a camel in "Lawrence of Arabia," the elusive boson has been coming slowly into view since last winter, as the first signals of its existence grew until they practically jumped off the chart.

ab1ga
07-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Yep, you stare at a blank sheet of paper long enough, you'll see anything you want.

W4GPL
07-05-2012, 10:26 AM
This particular subject makes me feel really dumb. :lol:

NQ6U
07-05-2012, 10:31 AM

You have a lot of company. It makes everybody but theoretical physicists feel really dumb.

KG4CGC
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Gravity fields and Dark Matter play together.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57466477/fla-lifeguard-aids-drowning-man-gets-fired/?tag=stack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

Higgs Boson is part of the balancing act.

KG4CGC
07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/315467_10151022998479805_1800924418_n.jpg

WØTKX
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM

The Dancing Wu Li Masters is a very amusing exploration of the possibilities... and a little outdated.

The possibilities are clearer as perspectives have sharpened. Here's a great youtube series!

http://youtu.be/6SYMD3xW_VM

http://youtu.be/6SYMD3xW_VM