PDA

View Full Version : Tower

kk4fpx
07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I have put up a new tower,this tower dosen't have a center section on it so no hole for the pipe.My question is what would be the best way to add a pipe for my rotor?I'll need to be able to push it up and down without to much trouble.

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

kk4fpx
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Sorry I don't have the means to post a pic,I'll try and get kk4icv to come over and post one for me.It's a three leg tower.

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
How big/tall is the tower? Ground mount or roof mount? How big is the antenna? What are the specs on the push up pole. We need a little "critical" info in order to try to help you out.

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
How big/tall is the tower? Ground mount or roof mount? How big is the antenna? What are the specs on the push up pole. We need a little "critical" info in order to try to help you out.

Thanks. You said that more nicely than I did.

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks. You said that more nicely than I did.

I didn't think you were un-nice. Actually, pix would be a mega plus.

W3WN
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I have a sneaking hunch that your tower may not have a 'top section' ... such as one of these:
So, if that is the case, you have two choices:

(1) Acquire a top section
(2) Get a flat plate with a thrust bearing in it to mount across the top.

Do you know what make/model the tower is?

K7SGJ
07-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I have a sneaking hunch that your tower may not have a 'top section' ... such as one of these:
So, if that is the case, you have two choices:

(1) Acquire a top section
(2) Get a flat plate with a thrust bearing in it to mount across the top.

Do you know what make/model the tower is?

My first look at that, and all I could think of was putting a few Jetex engines on the legs.

kk4fpx
07-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Right it dosen't have that top section.I have the top of the legs sealed with plugs. It's about 17' high. It will have a rotor and three element 10 meter beam attached.I have several poles I can use. I want to get the pole as high as possable and still be self standing.

W5GA
07-04-2012, 09:40 PM
If it's a normal 3 legged tower, such as Rohn 25 (that's a Rohn 25 type top section in Ron's diagram), it's not meant to be self supporting even with nothing put on top. Add a pipe and a yagi, and you're courting disaster. It will need at least 1 set of guys to keep it vertical.

Now, at the top of the top section, are the legs tapered or not? If not, then you've got some work to do in order to use a top section like the one shown or the other kind that accepts a thrust bearing. If you can't get a tower section like this, then you'll have to custom make or have custom made a rotor shelf and some sort of top plate to hold the pipe. If you aren't good with that sort of fab work, a standard Rohn rotor shelf may help out. But you'll still need some sort of plate for the top...the rotor shelf would normally sit down inside the tower about 3 feet.

I sure hope you aren't using water pipe, as it will fold up like a pretzel with a small antenna on it and a moderate wind.

NA4BH
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
I sure hope you aren't using water pipe, as it will fold up like a pretzel with a small antenna on it and a moderate wind.

And where you live, there is some pretty exciting weather.