PDA

View Full Version : Sigh :: Weather Channel Acquires WeatherUnderground

W4GPL
07-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Sad...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-weather-channel-companies-acquire-weather-underground-2012-07-02

KG4CGC
07-02-2012, 04:41 PM
How much of TWC does Roker own? I believe he is the executive producer of more than one of their specialty shows.

kds
07-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Weather Underground was a fun site back in the day when they first started. Just a lot of extra stuff. I do like how they integrate a lot of local personal weather stations into their pages.

It will be interesting to see what TWC does with it. I don't visit either WU or TWC with any regularity anymore, the NWS has far more accurate and detailed forecasting than either of those or AccuWeather, imho.

KC2UGV
07-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Instead of Wunderground, why don't hams just use APRS.fi? WX stations all over the place, which is where Wunderground gets their "indie data" from anyways.

kds
07-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Instead of Wunderground, why don't hams just use APRS.fi? WX stations all over the place, which is where Wunderground gets their "indie data" from anyways.

I do, but it is easier to see data at a glance (in rapid fire mode, nonetheless) at Weather Underground APRS is not the main source of "indie" weather data, it's mostly pulled from MADIS. http://madis.noaa.gov/

W4GPL
07-08-2012, 04:57 AM
And there's more to WeatherUnground than just the weather station reporting. Their blogs are incredibly nerdy and informative. I hope TWC leaves well enough alone, but now that they're in the hands of the likes of Comcast... I'm not so sure. There's a lot of corporate slide of hand to be done concerning global warming issues. Don't tell Paul though. :shhh:

N1LAF
07-08-2012, 09:41 AM
And there's more to WeatherUnground than just the weather station reporting. Their blogs are incredibly nerdy and informative. I hope TWC leaves well enough alone, but now that they're in the hands of the likes of Comcast... I'm not so sure. There's a lot of corporate slide of hand to be done concerning global warming issues. Don't tell Paul though. :shhh:

Already ahead of you here. When I saw the announcement, I thought there goes a true, free weather info exchange, because you know it will be absorbed into the corporate culture. One of the features about Weather Underground is WunderMap, for those who may not know what Wundermap is, sample link:
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=41.43449&lon=-72.06943&zoom=10&type=hyb&rad=1&rad.num=6&rad.spd=25&rad.opa=70&rad.stm=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

Or their Tropical Weather site: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/
What are the alternatives?

n2ize
07-08-2012, 11:11 AM
What are the alternatives?
:lol:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cYwBS-3CL._AA1000_.jpg

kds
07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Ohhhh, I forgot all about WunderMap!

PA5COR
07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
"Weather Station (A large sign with a Rock hanging on a rope) Check the Rock. If it's wet, it's raining. If it's moving, it's windy. If you can't see it, it's foggy. If rock is gone, it's a tornado."

WA4TM
07-08-2012, 02:04 PM
"Weather Station (A large sign with a Rock hanging on a rope) Check the Rock. If it's wet, it's raining. If it's moving, it's windy. If you can't see it, it's foggy. If rock is gone, it's a tornado."

That is the MOST reliable weather station available!!!!

suddenseer
07-08-2012, 03:21 PM
It used to mean something different when I was a kid...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherman_%28organization%29

n2ize
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Or, one of those little gadgets that looked like a toy cottage, where if the man came outside it was raining and if the lady came outside it was fair. Or, the one we had. If it was nice outside Hansel and Gretel came out, if it was bad weather the witch came out. Of course there were always those occaisions where neither Hansel nor Gretel nor the witch came out in which case I would just imagine what the hell they were doing in there. :chin::lol:

NQ6U
07-12-2012, 05:27 PM
there were always those occaisions where neither Hansel nor Gretel nor the witch came out in which case I would just imagine what the hell they were doing in there. :chin::lol:

Three-way. Kinky

KG4CGC
07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Stephanie Abrams is all grown up now. She could stand to lay off the breakfest chicken wings.

NQ6U
07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Stephanie Abrams is all grown up now. She could stand to lay off the breakfest chicken wings.

I'd still hit her. Especially if she agreed to share her chicken wings with me.

KG4CGC
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM

LOL! With the force of a thousand suns!

kds
07-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Ayup.

Also http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515db069e2012875b01d86970c-800wi

kb2vxa
07-13-2012, 09:03 AM
An M1-A1 Abrams with TWO main guns. HOO-RAH!

ki4itv
07-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Very, very True.
I was perusing Jeff Masters Blog when he posted the new announcement. Hit a lot of people like a ton of bricks. It was fairly unanimous among the regular users that TWC was going to royally screw the place up.
Dr. Jeff acted like he didn't know what the problem was, which I find very hard to believe.
Dr. Master's is going to have a really hard time after they tell him to shut his global warming pie-hole so he doesn't scare away big money site sponsors.
I predict this will not end well...
Still wondering how I missed this thread????

ki4itv
07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
An M1-A1 Abrams with TWO main guns. HOO-RAH!

You know, I think the clothes she wears on TWC are manufactured to pump those things up.
When you see her in her day clothes, with that stuntman dude, they don't appear to be the behemoths presented in the studio.
Just an observation.

KG4CGC
07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
You know, I think the clothes she wears on TWC are manufactured to pump those things up.
When you see her in her day clothes, with that stuntman dude, they don't appear to be the behemoths presented in the studio.
Just an observation.

You are exactly correct. There is another woman who does the segment after WUWA who's top has exactly the same shape. Weather Channel fake boobs. The only one they don't make wear them is Carfagno and I imagine it because her frame is so small that it would make her look cartoonish.

I noticed the Abrams bra thing 18 months ago. How does a woman get a boob job without missing a day of work and how stupid does TWC think I am?

kf0rt
07-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to come up with puns that mix weather and tatas?

NQ6U
07-16-2012, 01:53 PM
What, you have never been in a titstorm?

K8LET
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
What, you have never been in a titstorm?

Or a vaginalanch?

kf0rt
07-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh yeah, hurricane Betty: "Who can fuck in this weather?"